Spacebase DF-7, Dwarf Fortress IN SPACE!!! (early access)


Video Games

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

What it says on the tin.

Oh, except it's in development by Double Fine. Ya. Them.

And it looks hilarious. It's in early alpha/beta now on Steam. Looks to be around $24 bucks. Not to bad...for a game that will eat your SOUL (and free time)

Might I suggest you check it out?

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Derp. DF-9 is the title, not 7.


Yeah, it popped up on my screen from Steam as soon as I opened the laptop. It's purchase was imminent, I suppose, and thus it has been added to my library.

Will try it once I get home. How functional is it so far? From the videos and reviews I checked, it seems to be in pretty good shape.

It's 19.99 USD on Steam, though; the 24 USD version seems to only include a special soundtrack.


I haven't been on Steam in a few weeks - been transferring stuff over to a new computer and haven't had much time for games, and haven't installed Steam again yet.

Yet ANOTHER thing I'll have to look into getting around New Year or so.

Always wanted to try DF but never knew where to start @_@


My bad. The game is effectively at 24 USD; it seems I had it on a -20% because I owned another Double Fine game (no idea which one).

Orthos wrote:

I haven't been on Steam in a few weeks - been transferring stuff over to a new computer and haven't had much time for games, and haven't installed Steam again yet.

Yet ANOTHER thing I'll have to look into getting around New Year or so.

Always wanted to try DF but never knew where to start @_@

DF can be like that. Then it can get worse. However, if you take some time to read the wiki, you will almost be able to make sense of it. Then you have to bang your head against the screen for a while until your dwarfs start surviving.

A nice alternative to DF is Gnomoria. Though not as incredibly deep as DF, it shares the same concept (plus the UI and graphics are more user-friendly).

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

It's...not bad. Primative so far, but at least it doens't crash out. It plays okay but they seriously need to fix the AI in the game. Stuff like not completing a task, etc.

And more roles and stuff to build would help A LOT.


Klaus van der Kroft wrote:
My bad. The game is effectively at 24 USD; it seems I had it on a -20% because I owned another Double Fine game (no idea which one).

Oh nice. Is it just any game or a specific one/set of games? I have Psychonauts but I think that's the only DF game I have.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Starting out, make sure:

1. You build a life support room and airlock stat!

2. Put a fire extinqusher per O2 scrubber.

3. Keep people with less than 3 stars away from your maintance teams.

4. On average there should be 1 tech per O2 scrubber in station.

5. Get a refinery up stat before mining so you don't pile up rock in your airlock.

Just early don't do this stuff.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Also found out a good way to deal with pirates it to lock the door to your ships and then space them with your builder crew taking out their walls!

Silver Crusade

...you can use demolish on /their/ walls?! I kept trying to space them by opening my airlocks, but that took for-freaking-ever.

Man, I love this forum.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Spook205 wrote:

...you can use demolish on /their/ walls?! I kept trying to space them by opening my airlocks, but that took for-freaking-ever.

Man, I love this forum.

Yep. Lock the airlock door on their ship. (They are considered buildings that you can craft on.) So just send out a few builders and have them demolish their walls. SSSSkpt. Once dead, rebuild the walls if you want...or loot for materials. Demolish their whole ship!

Since the game only tracks your raw material # so far, their ship is like a giant...well metal scrap yard. Screw the people inside.

Now once they set up items and gear for your teams and there might be value in looting. Then you might consider raiding them.

Also...bodies don't despawn, and you can't do anything with them...yet.

Be wared about claiming derlict ships. I had one show up with a nice sized pub! I lacked a pub yet and set my Bartender to tending. Only, I didn't take into acount that O2 scrubbers are by # of people in room need. So my WHOLE crew headed over for a drink and almost killed themsevles with the derlicts single O2 scrubber got overloaded.

Geeeze.


TheLoneCleric wrote:


Be wared about claiming derlict ships. I had one show up with a nice sized pub! I lacked a pub yet and set my Bartender to tending. Only, I didn't take into acount that O2 scrubbers are by # of people in room need. So my WHOLE crew headed over for a drink and almost killed themsevles with the derlicts single O2 scrubber got overloaded.

Geeeze.

You gotta drink when you gotta drink.

Silver Crusade

TheLoneCleric wrote:
Spook205 wrote:

...you can use demolish on /their/ walls?! I kept trying to space them by opening my airlocks, but that took for-freaking-ever.

Man, I love this forum.

Yep. Lock the airlock door on their ship. (They are considered buildings that you can craft on.) So just send out a few builders and have them demolish their walls. SSSSkpt. Once dead, rebuild the walls if you want...or loot for materials. Demolish their whole ship!

Since the game only tracks your raw material # so far, their ship is like a giant...well metal scrap yard. Screw the people inside.

Now once they set up items and gear for your teams and there might be value in looting. Then you might consider raiding them.

Also...bodies don't despawn, and you can't do anything with them...yet.

Be wared about claiming derlict ships. I had one show up with a nice sized pub! I lacked a pub yet and set my Bartender to tending. Only, I didn't take into acount that O2 scrubbers are by # of people in room need. So my WHOLE crew headed over for a drink and almost killed themsevles with the derlicts single O2 scrubber got overloaded.

Geeeze.

I ended up moving what was left of my crew over to a raider after the primary station got decimated by people who were offended by it for religious reasons. Things went fairly well until we inexplicably got devoured by giant space parasites.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Ya. That can happen. I hear the next patch is adding in more personal gear for the people...and eventually a medical bay to allow you to spot the parasites.

Silver Crusade

I admit what I kind of wish I could have is a little better control over my security forces, but I understand DF-09 has a bit of the old Dwarf Fortress in it.

"Refinery's on fire, two guys are dead, and there's a raider wandering around, that makes me thirsty!" *goes to bar for a drink*

On the upside the enemy AI seems just as amusingly, chronically stupid. Like the guy who on encountering a locked door apparently blew his own bulkhead wall out and launched his team of invaders into space.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I think you can motivate them by setting beacons.

Silver Crusade

The beacons don't seem to supersede needs though.

I've had guys who dropped down to give me 50 when the refiner was about to blow, or technicians who were playing their handhelds in front of deactivated oxygen recyclers while everyone was asphyixiating.

Also apparently invaders count to your 02 limit. So having a bunch show up might overtax them.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The AI could certainly need some help (my master builder just committed suicide by taking a 10 minute space walk), but I kinda like that you don't have more direct control over people. It gives me that good ol' Populous feel, and I like that.

Of course, the game could do with being a little smarter about how they prioritize their time.

And also how they demolish derelicts. I just watched three builders go into a derelict, carefully remove their space suits and then start drilling holes in the airlock walls. *le sigh*

But for an alpha, very playable!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah...we've all been there for the 'derelict death spiral.'

Explored derelicts are just a nightmare. I actually usually put demo teams on their internals immediately after finding them, otherwise my techs go and fart around on the parasite infested crapshack (while its being demolished) and dead techs are bad for everybody.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Ya. Derelict Death Spiral...good name for it. In my case the Derelict was clean but because it had a bar/beds but only one O2 unit it almost killed everyone when they went over for a drink. That's why on my new base I got a pub up stat.

Alpha patch 1b fixes Tech behavior...a little. They still are monster goof offs. That said, the game also hasn't handed me anyone with a skill above 2 stars. I've had to force 3+ stars from countless O2 room fires.

I don't dismantle delerics now. I build a tunnel to them, then build a safe zone aound one of the walls and send my security team in. Beat's trusting THEIR airlock and ambushes.


TheLoneCleric wrote:
I don't dismantle delerics now. I build a tunnel to them, then build a safe zone aound one of the walls and send my security team in. Beat's trusting THEIR airlock and ambushes.

Good idea.

As for derelicts, I think it's a shame to ignore them, though it's usually the safest course. Generally you can control behaviour by locking doors. Unfortunately, you can't force-lock airlocks to prevent anyone from entering. That option alone would do a lot IMHO.

Silver Crusade

I tried ignoring them. I think they might just spawn trouble if they aren't checked out after a while.

Although there was one derelict that showed up with breaches in all its walls. I had to literally encapsulate the thing before we could investigate.

Has anyone else noticed if things go too well for a while, your 02 Scrubbers just start to burst into flames? I had like 15 3-dot techs, and next thing I know every oxygen room on my entire base was a sheet of flame.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Did you put down fire extinguishers next to your O2 units? I try to have 1 for every 2. Also consider 1 per room if you can afford it.

Techs with less than 4 stars have a % chance to break what they are fixing, especially if the base % is too low. Some breaks = fire.


TheLoneCleric wrote:
Techs with less than 4 stars have a % chance to break what they are fixing, especially if the base % is too low. Some breaks = fire.

Techs can get four stars?

I had a bunch of techs at three stars, and I keep getting messages that their skills have approved, but they are still all at three stars. Maybe it's just a display bug.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Rare it seems. 3 Stars is good enough. But I had a few techs and one of my builders hit 4 stars in a skill. But they seem to need a natural knack to get that forth star. I think the color of the assignment background matters. Red (will level up to 3 and stop), Green (can go to 4).

Dunno yet. Might be tied to pub/sleep. My builder who hit 4 stars worked like crazy, drank herself into a near coma and slept. Woke up with 4 stars and started working like crazy.

Silver Crusade

Green applies to aptitude, I believe.

Hence why you occasionally get a red three star. He's good at the job, but hates it and won't improve. He'll also slack off and be a waste of space. Generally if I can afford to, I put three star slackers in other fields. (I had a three star slacker tech who lived in Oxygen 3, alternating betweeen playing his handheld, and putting out the fires on the o2 generators he wasn't maintaining.)

The slacker problem is an issue. Occasionally you get waste of space immigrants with 1 star in everything. The trick is figuring out the least catastrophic job to give to these yobbos (or leave them undefined).

Like you guys I'm collecting an impressive death count due to incompetence so I've seen some trends with 1-2 star dudes. This might just be me reading into the mysterious space incidents.

1-2 star security seem to be like Barney Fife armed with plasma pistols. They can't hit crap, have a propensity for melee, and I think they have a higher risk of parasitic infection. These folks also seem to like having fire fights in airlocks or res-sections.

1-2 star builders? Generally safe, except when they botch their job and 'forget' to build a floor, or bust into an adjacent section and suck everyone into space.

1-2 star miners. When I've had a lot of these, I start seeing ore pile up even with working refineries, I also think they might break the refineries faster but have no scientific evidence.

1-2 star techs ... hrrrrgh

1-2 star bartenders? So far they haven't killed anyone.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Thanks Spook! That will help my assignments. Green is good though, even at 2 stars they can quickly improve to 3 if you survive it.

From the early tech demo of the game having a lower Bartending caused things like illness, and infections like Space Gonerea.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Video Games / Spacebase DF-7, Dwarf Fortress IN SPACE!!! (early access) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.