The fine art of Power Armor!


Iron Gods

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

We're going to run into it. It may be metalic, organic, or something in between. But fancy hightech space suit style power armor is going to be a possible find in the AP. (Hell I think the AP might have glorious 4 page spreads of wacky gagets.)

Now odds are the tech based items will be described in conventional magic item terms. So Power Armor might be +X Armor with Y effect. Like +2 Strength and maybe Elemental Resistance Z.

Or, they might actually make them UNreproducable and chargeable and maintainable only by salvaging bits of cast off space ship.

Lightgun that can be recharged via Shocking Grasp, etc.

But the armor is going to be important. The creatures that made the Silver Mountain may not have been human, but maybe they are humanoid (if the droids and bits of tech they left behind is any clue).

I think you might find stripped power armor, or just plating froma ship or robot body converted into conventional armor. Like retro plate with leather tied around something that looks like a black bug shell made of hard angles.

Then you'll find the easy to maintain stuff. Low bonus skin suits, strange belts that as long as charged they give you X bonus.

Finally you'll find the space ready full body stuff. The...is that Full Plate? Why can the Wizard wear it stuff.

Hell, you might find armor that is like AppleSeed's more bulky suits.

If we find anything like a minor mech say a Tachicoma...well that would be stretching things. But we're not the devs.

What's your take on the Power Armor we'll find. Will it be barbarian redesigned stuff?

Reign of Kings style Shardplate?

What?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Quote:
Reign of Kings style Shardplate?

I vote for this just for the awesome value. I loved that book. (Though it's Way of Kings, not Reign ;) )


....I can't wait for this AP...

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Quote:
Reign of Kings style Shardplate?
I vote for this just for the awesome value. I loved that book. (Though it's Way of Kings, not Reign ;) )

Right, derp.

Way of King's Shard Armor migth be the perfect way to handle magical power armor. Only works if attuned, needs charges to pull off the bigger effects. Which means the party casters might be able to recharge the armor's more powerful effects. Keeps it from outclasing standard magical armor because of the cost.

There is a LOT of stuff in Way of Kings I'd love see sneak in to PF actually. A class that can do the Lashings alone...


I actually think it'd be cool if there was a suit of de-powered or stripped down power armor in the first adventure, and over the course of the campaign you could find parts for it to upgrade and repair it.


TheLoneCleric wrote:

Way of King's Shard Armor migth be the perfect way to handle magical power armor. Only works if attuned, needs charges to pull off the bigger effects. Which means the party casters might be able to recharge the armor's more powerful effects. Keeps it from outclasing standard magical armor because of the cost.

There is a LOT of stuff in Way of Kings I'd love see sneak in to PF actually. A class that can do the Lashings alone...

I'd be interested in that, definitely.

I need to reread that book sometime. Maybe when I get through my current waiting list of books.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Terraneaux wrote:
I actually think it'd be cool if there was a suit of de-powered or stripped down power armor in the first adventure, and over the course of the campaign you could find parts for it to upgrade and repair it.

That's not a bad idea. The only catch being over time you need to offer other rewards for the rest of the party to match the power armor you are building for your tank.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
TheLoneCleric wrote:
We're going to run into it. It may be metalic, organic, or something in between. But fancy hightech space suit style power armor is going to be a possible find in the AP...

You might want to look at the Aegis class in Psionics Expanded for a full-BAB martial class that gains customizable armor suits. (More aegis archetypes will be in the upcoming Ultimate Psionics.) You could replicate Stark's/Shirow's armor or Guyver-esque suits or more conventional "period" armor or anything in-between (within reason and game balance). Even if you aren't a psionics fan, there is very little psionics in the class, and it can easily be re-fluffed into "conventional" magic.

TheLoneCleric wrote:
If we find anything like a minor mech say a Tachicoma...well that would be stretching things.

Why not? We already have the Apparatus of the Crab in the game. A Tachikoma/Fuchikoma/Uchikoma could be easily replicated with an eidelon, either with a synthesist pilot or summoner commander, or as an unbound entity. Heck, much of Shirow's mechanized world -- landmates, Briareos-style cyborgs, Bonaparte-style mini-tanks, Jigabachi-style 'copter gunships -- could all be different eidelon configurations.

But if you derail your home games improvising Tachikomatic Days skits, you're on your own. :)

Terraneaux wrote:
I actually think it'd be cool if there was a suit of de-powered or stripped down power armor in the first adventure, and over the course of the campaign you could find parts for it to upgrade and repair it.

Anyone remember the 3 pantaloons Easter Eggs hidden in the Baldur's Gate series...

Spoiler:
that you could forge into the Big Metal Unit armor and Big Metal Rod ranged launcher?

Perhaps a suit like the ones out of the original Stargate will be introduced, where it kind of functions like Called Armor that wraps itself around you on demand and you carry it in a necklace, on your wrist, etc.

Personally, I would like to see a force field like the myrmidon robot on the power armor.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
baronbloodbath wrote:

Perhaps a suit like the ones out of the original Stargate will be introduced, where it kind of functions like Called Armor that wraps itself around you on demand and you carry it in a necklace, on your wrist, etc.

Personally, I would like to see a force field like the myrmidon robot on the power armor.

Called is not all that different from Glamored Armor.


TheLoneCleric wrote:
baronbloodbath wrote:

Perhaps a suit like the ones out of the original Stargate will be introduced, where it kind of functions like Called Armor that wraps itself around you on demand and you carry it in a necklace, on your wrist, etc.

Personally, I would like to see a force field like the myrmidon robot on the power armor.

Called is not all that different from Glamored Armor.

Well, it has the major difference of not actually being on you when it's not in use - and therefore not applying any armor check penalties as well as not providing any AC bonuses - unlike glamered armor which just looks like it's not on you at the moment, but still provides all its bonuses and penalties.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

A folding plate version of powered armor? Hmmm...

Building and Modifying Constructs can also be used as a starting point. See here for some suggestions.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'm imagining "Dancing Plate" a suit of armor that acts away from the user and can be assigned to guard a camp, stand up a KOed owner and walk them to safety in a fight (or keep them fighting until medical aid can arrive).

Wouldn't that be scary?


Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
TheLoneCleric wrote:
We're going to run into it. It may be metalic, organic, or something in between. But fancy hightech space suit style power armor is going to be a possible find in the AP...

You might want to look at the Aegis class in Psionics Expanded for a full-BAB martial class that gains customizable armor suits. (More aegis archetypes will be in the upcoming Ultimate Psionics.) You could replicate Stark's/Shirow's armor or Guyver-esque suits or more conventional "period" armor or anything in-between (within reason and game balance). Even if you aren't a psionics fan, there is very little psionics in the class, and it can easily be re-fluffed into "conventional" magic.

TheLoneCleric wrote:
If we find anything like a minor mech say a Tachicoma...well that would be stretching things.
Why not? We already have the Apparatus of the Crab in the game. A Tachikoma/Fuchikoma/Uchikoma could be easily replicated with an eidelon, either with a synthesist pilot or summoner commander, or as an unbound entity. Heck, much of Shirow's mechanized world -- landmates, Briareos-style cyborgs,...

hugs, loves amby

Now, about those pantaloons... loads up modded baldurs gate

Digital Products Assistant

Removed an off-topic post.


I was thinking about this (watching Escaflowne again). Would a template be a good way to handle power armor? Instead of trying to figure it out as a separate item you apply the template when the armor is "worn". You have a set template for each type of armor and you can throw it on any appropriately sized (because the Frost Giants are going to get their own PA, right?) creature.

Whatever comes up - It'd be pretty cool be able to quickly build up power armor for any creature you care to. Throw 200lbs of nanites and self-organizing armor structures at an ogre and you've got yourself a mini-boss.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Well, there are a few options. Magic item sets that power up unique traits when you combine them is a nice way to make power armor.

Same goes for stuff like armor that upgrades as you fix or unlock new features.

And I'm sure a simple one stat/bonus effect set would be nice.


Umbral Reaver created the Armiger, an adventurer bonded with Numerian power armor some months ago in Homebrew...


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Tachikoma familiars would rock.


And lets not forget cybernetic implants. From the razor/tool hand to synthetic heart and brain implant. Skinweave (natural armor +10, but charisma -4 ie the amazing rubberman). Biomonitor!
Nanite self organic selfrepair (fast heal 1, can use 3 cure X wounds/day).

And then the doityourself plasmapistols.

Got to grab a craft tech item feat, some skill, identify/use technology and then with the tech skill know what to loot and allow the greatest use out of those.
So treasure could be handed out in the terms of: 400 gold coins, broken blaster with 5 charges and 500gp of technological spare parts.

Then go entirely nuts and enchant the technology.. :p


What is "Way of Kings"?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Don't we already have the synthisist summoner to do the power armor?

I stand by my threadcrap but when I get to my computer after work tomorrow I'll try to put up how I would/will do it in my home game.

The theme is egalitarian magic is technology.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
wraithstrike wrote:
What is "Way of Kings"?

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Kings-Stormlight-Archive-ebook/dp/B003P2WO5E/ref= sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385559958&sr=8-1&keywords=Way+of+Kings

Magical Power Armor and Weapons. Not your standard magic item setting.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

So, here's how I would/will do it.

You have a suit of full plate +1 of ease, ease is a thing I made up that lets anyone wear the armor without penalties for non proficiency.

It has slots for wands, two on each limb and three in the chest. When you put a wand in the armor eats it, nom nom nom.

Each wand in the armor works better than normal, the wearer can activate one want a round as a swift action, any other activation is standard.

So you toss in a scorching ray to get your laser beam.
A shield spell makes your force shield.
Blur/invisibility for holographic defense.
Fireball as sort of a grenade.
Fly as flight.
True Strike as a targeting system.
Bull's Strength/Bear's Endurance/Orca's awesomeness as your enhancements and so on.

What you get is something that is absolute murder at lower levels, pretty costly to keep feeding wands and works as power armor.


Too late to edit but the armor would provide the UMD checks so anyone inside could use the wands.


...orcas awesomeness?


Well, Orcas are awesome.

You ever see that movie?
Hunted each one of them down man!


Journ-O-LST-3 wrote:

So, here's how I would/will do it.

You have a suit of full plate +1 of ease, ease is a thing I made up that lets anyone wear the armor without penalties for non proficiency.

It has slots for wands, two on each limb and three in the chest. When you put a wand in the armor eats it, nom nom nom.

Each wand in the armor works better than normal, the wearer can activate one want a round as a swift action, any other activation is standard.

So you toss in a scorching ray to get your laser beam.
A shield spell makes your force shield.
Blur/invisibility for holographic defense.
Fireball as sort of a grenade.
Fly as flight.
True Strike as a targeting system.
Bull's Strength/Bear's Endurance/Orca's awesomeness as your enhancements and so on.

What you get is something that is absolute murder at lower levels, pretty costly to keep feeding wands and works as power armor.

Why would an alien technological society develop armor that required magic wands?


Sounds like Magitek Armor.


Hlynrian wrote:


Why would an alien technological society develop armor that required magic wands?

Because magic is technology and other societies either developed magic or won't survive to a technological level that they'd need to fight off monsters.

Aside, in my home game this, some other things like it and the androids all come from a future society.

In the home game, the wands aren't wands but are gemstones with starmetal "circuits" running through them, they cost the same as a wand though but don't require a UMD check when being used.

Which is how my players got a "laser gun" which fires a scorching ray (CL3).


Hey, Alkenstar exists in a hellish wasteland without the aid of magic.
But they have guns.
As someone once said "God made men, Sam Colt made them equal"


modular armor: total cost 44900 gp
1.armor slot: reinforced ballistic armor (from Bullet Point: 6 Anachronistic Armors (PFRPG) PDF) with the psionic enhancement fusing for +2, landing for +4000, and linked for +6000 in addition to enhancement bonuses. Made of adamantine for 10000 gp.
Notes: medium armor +6 armor bonus (before enhancements), +8 vs firearms and such attacks are not made as touch attacks, AC penalty is -2 (-1 when fused), treated as light for movement restrictions when fusing is activated. DR 2/-.
Cost with +1 enhancement: 29900 gp
2. chest slot: shirt, quick runner's cost 1000 gp
3. body and helm slots: pressure suit cost 4000 gp
4. magic belt, ideally belt of physical perfection but you can't have everything. But, let's say a belt of physical might +2 strength, +2 constitution, cost 10000 gp


I'm all up for mechs ^_^

Dark Archive

The Thing from Beyond the Edge wrote:

modular armor: total cost 44900 gp

1.armor slot: reinforced ballistic armor (from Bullet Point: 6 Anachronistic Armors (PFRPG) PDF) with the psionic enhancement fusing for +2, landing for +4000, and linked for +6000 in addition to enhancement bonuses. Made of adamantine for 10000 gp.
Notes: medium armor +6 armor bonus (before enhancements), +8 vs firearms and such attacks are not made as touch attacks, AC penalty is -2 (-1 when fused), treated as light for movement restrictions when fusing is activated. DR 2/-.
Cost with +1 enhancement: 29900 gp
2. chest slot: shirt, quick runner's cost 1000 gp
3. body and helm slots: pressure suit cost 4000 gp
4. magic belt, ideally belt of physical perfection but you can't have everything. But, let's say a belt of physical might +2 strength, +2 constitution, cost 10000 gp

What, no built-in Mark VII Blasters or Mini-missile launchers?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Auxmaulous wrote:
The Thing from Beyond the Edge wrote:

modular armor: total cost 44900 gp

1.armor slot: reinforced ballistic armor (from Bullet Point: 6 Anachronistic Armors (PFRPG) PDF) with the psionic enhancement fusing for +2, landing for +4000, and linked for +6000 in addition to enhancement bonuses. Made of adamantine for 10000 gp.
Notes: medium armor +6 armor bonus (before enhancements), +8 vs firearms and such attacks are not made as touch attacks, AC penalty is -2 (-1 when fused), treated as light for movement restrictions when fusing is activated. DR 2/-.
Cost with +1 enhancement: 29900 gp
2. chest slot: shirt, quick runner's cost 1000 gp
3. body and helm slots: pressure suit cost 4000 gp
4. magic belt, ideally belt of physical perfection but you can't have everything. But, let's say a belt of physical might +2 strength, +2 constitution, cost 10000 gp
What, no built-in Mark VII Blasters or Mini-missile launchers?

Nah, I want the Black Ray pistol! (Power Word: Kill, 50 charges?)


I miss Spelljammer. They had bio-armor (Bio-Booster Armor Guyver, actually), single pilot and sentai piloted mechs, and warrior space women whose jewelry transformed into armor and weapons. Good times. Bad art, but good times.

Lantern Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4

The Numerian ship was built by human hands, confirmed by James Jacobs a while back. Silver Mount technology will doubtlessly take into account the human form in design.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Iron Gods / The fine art of Power Armor! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Iron Gods