Your Sentinel is Full of Fail.


Movies


b!&$$, please!

if they're going to eff up one of the best X-Men stories ever, I ain't seeing it.

This is worse than that Bat Man debacle.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's a Robo Sapien.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

"They changed the LOOK of the Sentinels! The STORY is ruined!"

Cry some more, please.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Troll harder.

Novice.

Shadow Lodge

I'm more concerned with the seriously bloated cast. Although that probably won't matter too much, since it's doubtful that anyone other than Wolverine will be allowed to have the spotlight for more than a fleeting moment.


It looks like a big Time Traveler from the Micronauts.


scarier robot than the movie Sentinel


Spanky the Leprechaun wrote:
Troll harder.

This would be good advice if I weren't dead serious.

People need to stop b+~+~ing and moaning and crying "Ruined 5evr" every time some largely inconsequential detail such as the appearance of a robot is changed.

The appearance of the Sentinel does NOTHING to the story. It has absolutely ZERO effect on the quality of writing and the avenue the story takes.

Do us all a favor and keep the fanboy whining contained to your own head.

Now, if you have some valid complaints about the design, let's hear them.

Without the melodramatic "They f$+!ed up the story with this change!" bull.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh, go alphebetize your pet peeves.


Sentinel done right

Meh, I'm just sick of being let down.

I was actually getting my hopes up until I saw the Sentinel design.

Sick of being let down.


That's pretty rich coming from the guy who's harping on the appearance of an imaginary robot and how non-intimidating it looks.

But no, you're right, they were oh so spooky and intimidating before. /snark


Sentinel done right
Why John Byrne was one of the best from that time period.

Sorry; the movie sentinel looks like it should be 4 feet tall and serving mint juleps at the 2060 Kentucky Derby.

Half of comic books are visual, and it does have an impact if a supposedly menacing robot looks like it should be a waiter bot in a fern bar.

I'm still not getting my hopes up.


*Shrugs*

I don't think it looks any better or worse than the Dildobot 9000 there, but whatever.

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

It's a still shot of a prop. The film version will look a lot better.

Scarab Sages

Don't let Wetsy wannabe get you down Spanky! If it makes you feel any better, I read somewhere that's a shot of an early model sentinel from the 70s/80s which I believe is when a good portion of the movie takes place. That would explain it's less than comic book coolness look.

I gotta say, though, from an engineering stand point, that thing is cool.

Liberty's Edge

I like this pic (the very first one I mean) :-)

Shadow Lodge

I'm not sure what the problem is with the Sentinel either. It looks decent. As for it "looks like it should be 4 feet tall"...it's more than three times taller than the guy standing next to it. Put Peter Dinklage next to the damn thing and it's gonna look even more ridiculously massive.

I'd also wager that the Sentinels of the future timeline will be more impressive that the first iteration.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kthulhu wrote:
I'm more concerned with the seriously bloated cast. Although that probably won't matter too much, since it's doubtful that anyone other than Wolverine will be allowed to have the spotlight for more than a fleeting moment.

Not if Halle Berry's agent has anything to say about it! She's a Very Important Actress playing the Most Important Member of the X-men, and if Storm doesn't have a big important role at the expense of better actors and more interesting characters, Halle Berry will be in her trailer sulking until things change.

As for the sentinel itself, it's not nearly as terrible looking as the transformers. But, to be fair, even the coolest depicition of a sentinel in the comics is pretty dated and ugly,* and it seems like it's even harder to make it look good in real life (or CGI, as the case may be).

*Based upon my comics consumption pre-2000 or so. If anyone has a more recent piece of sentinel art that looks awesome, I will happily eat my words.

Shadow Lodge

What's funny is that after all of the Halle Berry drama, I didn't notice her character being any more significant that any other non-Wolverine character in X-Men 3.


I always thought the classic sentinels looked pretty damn uninspired.

Shadow Lodge

Sebastian wrote:
If anyone has a more recent piece of sentinel art that looks awesome, I will happily eat my words.

OK

One of the two Mega-Sentinels that obliterated Genosha...back for more.


Kthulhu wrote:
What's funny is that after all of the Halle Berry drama, I didn't notice her character being any more significant that any other non-Wolverine character in X-Men 3.

You forget her holier than thou speech to Rogue about how being a mutant is awesome and full of win and that Rogue should be ashamed for wanting to get rid of her mutation? I wanted to punch the screen for that one.


Sentinels always looked craptastical. They were about as scary as a banana smoothie. This new movie one looks like Man-E-Faces crossed with the weird little robot from Buck Rogers from the 70's. Lotta crapola going around....

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

Kthulhu wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
If anyone has a more recent piece of sentinel art that looks awesome, I will happily eat my words.

OK

One of the two Mega-Sentinels that obliterated Genosha...back for more.

That looks like the tri-sentinel combined with a beetle and then visited by a rust monster.

I appreciate the effort, but I'm going to wait for the next pic you find before eating those words.

(Though, to be fair, the tri-sentinel was pretty cool).


Hm, As a robot, I think the OP's pic looks pretty cool.

As a 'Sentinel'?
It also looks, unfinished. I'm fairly certain there will be much more (hopefully Cool) details added to what is obviously (hopefully?) a basic frame.

However,.... the COmicon Robot from this years Comicon was pretty freakin awesome. Hands down. It looks like it could beat the stuffing out of mr not quite finished Sentinel.

Comicon Robot

Shadow Lodge

Sebastian wrote:
That looks like the tri-sentinel combined with a beetle and then visited by a rust monster.

Well, it had been lying at the bottom of the ocean for [unspecified comic book time]. Actually, part of why I think it looks so awesome is that it's so beat to hell.

Plus, the fact that two of them managed to massacre 16 million mutants gives it a bit of a "badass" factor.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I really don't see what the fooforrah is. This is a movie version of a comic, some Adaptation Distillation is inevitable. The creators in this case are looking to create a Sentinel that's visibly moving with pistons and things. I'm fairly sure that when this thing is charging at you it's going to look a lot more scary than a poorly done Kirbybot would.

Shadow Lodge

Craig Bonham 141 wrote:
I always thought the classic sentinels looked pretty damn uninspired.

They kind of look more like a superhero/villain that has a really uninspired costume design. The only reason you know they're robots is because the story tells you they are.


Spanky the Leprechaun wrote:
It looks like a big Time Traveler from the Micronauts.

...great. now I'm not going to be able to get that image out of my head.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Spanky the leprachaun wrote:


Sorry; the movie sentinel looks like it should be 4 feet tall and serving mint juleps at the 2060 Kentucky Derby.

..another image I won't be able to get rid of.

Moreover, its gonna be hard to get the sentinels just right. Imo. I like the mark 5, you seem to like the mark 4, rarely shall the twain meet.

Scarab Sages

My favorite sentinel was always Nimord, especially the issue where he nearly killed Juggernaut.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Rynjin wrote:
But no, you're right, they were oh so spooky and intimidating before. /snark
Spanky the Leprechaun wrote:
Sentinel done right

You know what the difference between this example and Rynjin's example is?

Action.

I'm reserving judgment until I see them murdering mutants in the movie.

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2010 Top 8

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Rynjin wrote:
But no, you're right, they were oh so spooky and intimidating before. /snark
Spanky the Leprechaun wrote:
Sentinel done right

You know what the difference between this example and Rynjin's example is?

Action.

I'm reserving judgment until I see them murdering mutants in the movie.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Well said.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Your Sentinel is Full of Fail. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.