Confessions That Will Get You Shunned by Darn Near Everyone in Gaming


Gamer Life General Discussion

501 to 550 of 603 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Tequila Sunrise wrote:
I do occasionally fantasize about playing a game loosely based on a movie or show. Like watching Supernatural sometimes makes me wonder what it'd be like to role play a monster-hunter in the real world, with some kind of explanation for how the existence of all those monsters and demons isn't common knowledge.

I actually ran a World of Darkness game (players were hunters) based on several episodes of Supernatural, plus a Lovecraft story, and this fun video find..

Also, I'm team Jacob.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

...I actually like Tolkien?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?

Yeah, I never know whether it's cool to like Tolkien or to dislike him nowadays...

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Laurefindel wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Yeah, I never know whether it's cool to like Tolkien or to dislike him nowadays...

To be brutally honest, if you give a f+!* whether other people think you're cool, then you're not cool.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

The trick is to try really hard to look cool without looking like you're trying really hard to look cool.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Malachi Silverclaw wrote:
Laurefindel wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Yeah, I never know whether it's cool to like Tolkien or to dislike him nowadays...
To be brutally honest, if you give a f@&! whether other people think you're cool, then you're not cool.

appearing cool never was the intention...

but regardless of my opinion (which are not about to change due to the "cool kids"), I am fascinated by what is considered cool and what isn't.

Sovereign Court

I dont like gaming at the FLGS. Even now that they added beer and wine (expensive but hey its available).


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I was on track to becoming a hipster, but then I thought, nah, that's just too main stream. :|


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pan wrote:
I dont like gaming at the FLGS. Even now that they added beer and wine (expensive but hey its available).

Where on this good earth is this wonderful place?


Has anyone posted this yet... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRB8Jor8tPs

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?

You seem surprised by this fact.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tequila Sunrise wrote:
I've tried all the major drink groups, and they're all gross.

That just means you haven't tried enough minor drink groups. There's basically an alcohol for everyone (except for those people that can't handle their alcohol, under 21, and other PC messages.)

Every time I see your screen name I think of Tequila Rose. Stuff tastes like strawberry Quick.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I care more about having fun than being super-optimized or whatever.
You and me both, brother.

Not only shunned, but they will wear out their little fingers flagging your posts, and "favoriting" any post with a personal insult against you.


I don't care for the work of China Mieville despite enjoying steampunk. His protagonists bore me and he seems to be a guy who uses vocabulary for egocentric reasons.

I watch football, hockey, UFC and even a little bit of nascar....grew up in the country in a sports oriented family.

I don't mind guns in my D&D..most campaigns are run at near renaissance level tech anyway.

Star Wars beyond the original trilogy and Star Trek beyond TNG was all rubbish...do like the new Trek movies though.

Strangely I hate anime influence in my comic books, but don't mind it in my RPGs .


DrDeth wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I care more about having fun than being super-optimized or whatever.
You and me both, brother.
Not only shunned, but they will wear out their little fingers flagging your posts, and "favoriting" any post with a personal insult against you.

The opposite of this axiom is also true....if you even imply that you want your character to be even a scintilla more effective, the Anti-optimizers come flying out of the woodwork to burn you at the stake.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not a fan of the Pathfinder RPG.

EDITED: although I do like me some Basic Box.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I gave up on the Game of Thrones books before the TV series came out.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It is impossible to gain any "real" advantage by min/maxing in a game I am the Dungeon master of

Sovereign Court

DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Pan wrote:
I dont like gaming at the FLGS. Even now that they added beer and wine (expensive but hey its available).
Where on this good earth is this wonderful place?

Fantasy flight games event center just relocated in the twin cities here. They opened a beautiful new game room, event hall, and cafe.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Generic Dungeon Master wrote:
It is impossible to gain any "real" advantage by min/maxing in a game I am the Dungeon master of

It is impossible to gain any real advantage in any roleplaying game. Because it is all magical tea party.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
Generic Dungeon Master wrote:
It is impossible to gain any "real" advantage by min/maxing in a game I am the Dungeon master of
It is impossible to gain any real advantage in any roleplaying game. Because it is all magical tea party.

People always bring pizza and energy drinks to my magical tea parties. There's a surprising lack of tea dontcha' know.

Shadow Lodge

Protip: There is no tea in a magical tea party.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
DrDeth wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I care more about having fun than being super-optimized or whatever.
You and me both, brother.
Not only shunned, but they will wear out their little fingers flagging your posts, and "favoriting" any post with a personal insult against you.
The opposite of this axiom is also true....if you even imply that you want your character to be even a scintilla more effective, the Anti-optimizers come flying out of the woodwork to burn you at the stake.

No, we just mock you, and not even very effectively at that. We're like the French soldiers on Monty Python grail "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. ".

Burn at the stake?- come one, we're roleplayers, first we have to have a big argle bargle about whether or not that's Evil, then how to make fire without a spell, then who will make the survival check to find wood....


DrDeth wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
DrDeth wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Kthulhu wrote:
I care more about having fun than being super-optimized or whatever.
You and me both, brother.
Not only shunned, but they will wear out their little fingers flagging your posts, and "favoriting" any post with a personal insult against you.
The opposite of this axiom is also true....if you even imply that you want your character to be even a scintilla more effective, the Anti-optimizers come flying out of the woodwork to burn you at the stake.

No, we just mock you, and not even very effectively at that. We're like the French soldiers on Monty Python grail "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. ".

Burn at the stake?- come one, we're roleplayers, first we have to have a big argle bargle about whether or not that's Evil, then how to make fire without a spell, then who will make the survival check to find wood....

Meanwhile, the player who always makes goblins has already started four different fires as practice...


i like faeries, petite framed women, and cute things. and though i strongly dislike my little pony, i enjoy the company of one of my buddies whom happens to be a brony.

thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing

i can't stand goblins

i can't stand gnomes

i don't like playing 6 inch floaty things

i don't want to be forced to take a massive package of powers that comes with a massive progression debt

but i do like the flavor of Elemental Nymphs of unusual elements, Native American Style Skinwalkers, and the Touhou Faeries. the issue with balancing all 3 of those creatures, is that i have to choose between staying true to the species, or creating a far weaker species that bears the name and only a handful of stripped down traits.


Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:

i like faeries, petite framed women, and cute things. and though i strongly dislike my little pony, i enjoy the company of one of my buddies whom happens to be a brony.

thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing

i can't stand goblins

i can't stand gnomes

i don't like playing 6 inch floaty things

i don't want to be forced to take a massive package of powers that comes with a massive progression debt

but i do like the flavor of Elemental Nymphs of unusual elements, Native American Style Skinwalkers, and the Touhou Faeries. the issue with balancing all 3 of those creatures, is that i have to choose between staying true to the species, or creating a far weaker species that bears the name and only a handful of stripped down traits.

I always dug splat books that allowed monster races as character classes. It is a better solution than level adjustment.


Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:

i like faeries, petite framed women, and cute things. and though i strongly dislike my little pony, i enjoy the company of one of my buddies whom happens to be a brony.

thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing

i can't stand goblins

i can't stand gnomes

i don't like playing 6 inch floaty things

i don't want to be forced to take a massive package of powers that comes with a massive progression debt

but i do like the flavor of Elemental Nymphs of unusual elements, Native American Style Skinwalkers, and the Touhou Faeries. the issue with balancing all 3 of those creatures, is that i have to choose between staying true to the species, or creating a far weaker species that bears the name and only a handful of stripped down traits.

I always dug splat books that allowed monster races as character classes. It is a better solution than level adjustment.

my issue with savage species, is you couldn't take only some of the racial levels and take class levels immediately, you had to take the racial levels before class advancement, and different levels forced different perks.

for example, to take my first class level as a nymph, i had to take 14 levels of nymph, 7 of which, had no hit dice, no base attack bonus, no skill points and no feats. what if i only wanted the first 3 or even 4 levels of nymph? after the first 5 levels, everything was basically stack druidic casting with no other benefit other than a few SLAs an even Moar Charisma.

maybe i just want some of the powers and not the whole package.

Liberty's Edge

limsk wrote:

I would rather have my entrails gnawed on by rats than read/watch Harry Potter.

Amen!


Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:
thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing

Oh UM, if only you gamed in my area. I dig the player-created races!


Tequila Sunrise wrote:
Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:
thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing
Oh UM, if only you gamed in my area. I dig the player-created races!

thankies


Lazurin Arborlon wrote:


I don't mind guns in my D&D..most campaigns are run at near renaissance level tech anyway.

Ha in a game I am running (Mythic) the characters are currently in Alkenstar protecting a young girl from a werewolf who has a powerful amulet that allows her to ignore pesky antimagic zones plus makes her a mythic werewolf (basically I designed a 'mythic werewolf' template but attached it to an amulet artifact, "The Claw of Jezelda")

Quote:

Strangely I hate anime influence in my comic books, but don't mind it in my RPGs .

I've done this quite a few times, most recently for fun (doubt I'll ever actually play her unless I find a really quirky GM) I made an android magus with illusion powers based on Go Nagai's Cutie Honey :D


Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?

Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ivan Rûski wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.

I seriously don't get this Tolkien hate. I devoured the Hobbit and LotR when I was ten years old. At one point I knew more about ME than the real world. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact I'm seeing this opinion more and more doesn't sit well with me. Most of the so-called fantasy people are reading today is the equivalent of trash romance novels; and what's worse they mistake them for quality stories.


Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:

i like faeries, petite framed women, and cute things. and though i strongly dislike my little pony, i enjoy the company of one of my buddies whom happens to be a brony.

thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing

i can't stand goblins

i can't stand gnomes

i don't like playing 6 inch floaty things

i don't want to be forced to take a massive package of powers that comes with a massive progression debt

but i do like the flavor of Elemental Nymphs of unusual elements, Native American Style Skinwalkers, and the Touhou Faeries. the issue with balancing all 3 of those creatures, is that i have to choose between staying true to the species, or creating a far weaker species that bears the name and only a handful of stripped down traits.

SHUN!!!!!

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
You seem surprised by this fact.

No, I'm more surprised when somebody says they got bored by Tolkien but really like X (who I consider a talentless hack). I guess I shouldn't be, though.


Pan wrote:
I dont like gaming at the FLGS. Even now that they added beer and wine (expensive but hey its available).

Mine sells a pretty wide range of mead (the owner is quite the connoisseur, I believe). Not to drink on site, though. I don't play there, either.

Black tea is my non-alcoholic drink of choice, and my gaming group's as well.

I like faeries. They are not cute, they only look that way. In "reality", they are vicious, untrustworthy little buggers who would slaughter any little pony they come across for fun/food (an idea I can get behind).


Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Umbriere Moonwhisper wrote:

i like faeries, petite framed women, and cute things. and though i strongly dislike my little pony, i enjoy the company of one of my buddies whom happens to be a brony.

thing is, most RPGs don't have a proper faerie race i actually like within the majority of their splatbooks that doesn't have a massive progression penalty attached, doesn't have some variant of Gnome or Goblin as a name, and isn't a 6 inch floaty thing

i can't stand goblins

i can't stand gnomes

i don't like playing 6 inch floaty things

i don't want to be forced to take a massive package of powers that comes with a massive progression debt

but i do like the flavor of Elemental Nymphs of unusual elements, Native American Style Skinwalkers, and the Touhou Faeries. the issue with balancing all 3 of those creatures, is that i have to choose between staying true to the species, or creating a far weaker species that bears the name and only a handful of stripped down traits.

I always dug splat books that allowed monster races as character classes. It is a better solution than level adjustment.

my issue with savage species, is you couldn't take only some of the racial levels and take class levels immediately, you had to take the racial levels before class advancement, and different levels forced different perks.

for example, to take my first class level as a nymph, i had to take 14 levels of nymph, 7 of which, had no hit dice, no base attack bonus, no skill points and no feats. what if i only wanted the first 3 or even 4 levels of nymph? after the first 5 levels, everything was basically stack druidic casting with no other benefit other than a few SLAs an even Moar Charisma.

maybe i just want some of the powers and not the whole package.

I do agree it was flawed, but it was better. I always wanted HP and BAB progression to keep pace with the average character class as well. It made some of them unplayable because you were so much more fragile or couldnt hit by a certain level.


Ivan Rûski wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.

It is dense stuff and not pariticularly captivating other than some nice set pieces and cool plot points. His pacing is abysmal and he tends to go off on tangents. I find a lot of classics are this way though...by modern standards they are flawed in many ways, but you have to consider when they were written to appreciate them.


Backfromthedeadguy wrote:
Ivan Rûski wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.
I seriously don't get this Tolkien hate. I devoured the Hobbit and LotR when I was ten years old. At one point I knew more about ME than the real world. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact I'm seeing this opinion more and more doesn't sit well with me. Most of the so-called fantasy people are reading today is the equivalent of trash romance novels; and what's worse they mistake them for quality stories.

Not to reply twice to this topic in short succession...but pretty much see my post above. I love Tolkien, but I get it. Tastes have changed for starters many dont want to waid through something so densly packed with detail, but beyond that it is a flawed work in many ways, most of which is forgiven because it is a seminal work to most anything that came after it.


AbsolutGrndZer0 wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:


I don't mind guns in my D&D..most campaigns are run at near renaissance level tech anyway.

Ha in a game I am running (Mythic) the characters are currently in Alkenstar protecting a young girl from a werewolf who has a powerful amulet that allows her to ignore pesky antimagic zones plus makes her a mythic werewolf (basically I designed a 'mythic werewolf' template but attached it to an amulet artifact, "The Claw of Jezelda")

Quote:

Strangely I hate anime influence in my comic books, but don't mind it in my RPGs .

I've done this quite a few times, most recently for fun (doubt I'll ever actually play her unless I find a really quirky GM) I made an android magus with illusion powers based on Go Nagai's Cutie Honey :D

On the anime front I would say I fall a little short of there...I would say it is more the bent of the artwork. I see a lot of people lamenting that everything isnt Aurthurian plate and sword and board. Never cared for that style and dont now. I dig on stuff from Dark Sun, Plansesape and more recently the game Anima tactics...the current Pathfinder design theme is right in my sweet spot. I know it is unpopular as I hear a lot of people upset with the big swords and all that.


I am a ruthless optimizer. I also believe that if your character is not optimized for both in and out of combat situations, then I don't want you at the table with me. Nothing drives me into greater silent rage than people who don't pull their weight in combat. Numerous times I've sat down for a PFS game and left knowing that the only reason the party survived, much less completed the mission was solely because of my character. I'd so much rather be part of a functional team. I actually don't like to hog the glory, and go out of my way to try and help other people have time in the spotlight, but so many people do nothing. Hate hate hate it. Probably never play PFS at a convention again to avoid these situations.


Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Backfromthedeadguy wrote:
Ivan Rûski wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.
I seriously don't get this Tolkien hate. I devoured the Hobbit and LotR when I was ten years old. At one point I knew more about ME than the real world. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact I'm seeing this opinion more and more doesn't sit well with me. Most of the so-called fantasy people are reading today is the equivalent of trash romance novels; and what's worse they mistake them for quality stories.
Not to reply twice to this topic in short succession...but pretty much see my post above. I love Tolkien, but I get it. Tastes have changed for starters many dont want to waid through something so densly packed with detail, but beyond that it is a flawed work in many ways, most of which is forgiven because it is a seminal work to most anything that came after it.

The only flaw I see comes from the ADD personalities that want to put the blame on the work instead of their own shoulders. By every definition the works of J.R.R. Tolkien are and will always be MASTERPIECES of fiction. As long as civilization endures it will be the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings that will studied by literary scholars, not these overly glitzed cartoons with their BESMs.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Frankly, I consider The Silmarillion the greatest literary work of the 20th century ... and it's not even close.

We're privileged that Christopher Tolkien chose to share that much of his father's genius with us.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have a Tolkien tattoo... =D =) =/ =(


Zenlike wrote:
I have a Tolkien tattoo... =D =) =/ =(

Is that a Token, Tolkien Tattoo? a Tolkien, Token Tattoo, or a Token Tolkien, Tolkien Token, Tattoo?


Backfromthedeadguy wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Backfromthedeadguy wrote:
Ivan Rûski wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.
I seriously don't get this Tolkien hate. I devoured the Hobbit and LotR when I was ten years old. At one point I knew more about ME than the real world. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact I'm seeing this opinion more and more doesn't sit well with me. Most of the so-called fantasy people are reading today is the equivalent of trash romance novels; and what's worse they mistake them for quality stories.
Not to reply twice to this topic in short succession...but pretty much see my post above. I love Tolkien, but I get it. Tastes have changed for starters many dont want to waid through something so densly packed with detail, but beyond that it is a flawed work in many ways, most of which is forgiven because it is a seminal work to most anything that came after it.
The only flaw I see comes from the ADD personalities that want to put the blame on the work instead of their own shoulders. By every definition the works of J.R.R. Tolkien are and will always be MASTERPIECES of fiction. As long as civilization endures it will be the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings that will studied by literary scholars, not these overly glitzed cartoons with their BESMs.

Hmph. Journey to the west, in its myriad forms, will always be head and shoulders above Tolkien.


Backfromthedeadguy wrote:
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
Backfromthedeadguy wrote:
Ivan Rûski wrote:
Charlie Bell wrote:
...I actually like Tolkien?
Can't actually say weather I like or dislike him. I tried reading Fellowship back in 7th grade, and couldn't get through the first chapter. I've been meaning to give Tolkien a go again, since that was 15 years ago now, but between keeping up with various things on the web, a myriad of video games, GMing one game, playing in another, and reading other books, my plate is pretty full.
I seriously don't get this Tolkien hate. I devoured the Hobbit and LotR when I was ten years old. At one point I knew more about ME than the real world. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact I'm seeing this opinion more and more doesn't sit well with me. Most of the so-called fantasy people are reading today is the equivalent of trash romance novels; and what's worse they mistake them for quality stories.
Not to reply twice to this topic in short succession...but pretty much see my post above. I love Tolkien, but I get it. Tastes have changed for starters many dont want to waid through something so densly packed with detail, but beyond that it is a flawed work in many ways, most of which is forgiven because it is a seminal work to most anything that came after it.
The only flaw I see comes from the ADD personalities that want to put the blame on the work instead of their own shoulders. By every definition the works of J.R.R. Tolkien are and will always be MASTERPIECES of fiction. As long as civilization endures it will be the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings that will studied by literary scholars, not these overly glitzed cartoons with their BESMs.

In my English classes, Lord of the Rings was actually used as an example of how not to write a book. In particular, how it is he forgot conservation of detail and went overboard a few times (this is actually one of the primary criticisms of the book that has remained since it was first published).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The interesting thing about books used as examples of how not to write one are that they're often immensely successful with rabid legions of followers, while more conventionally acceptable and critically-acclaimed pieces—the ones that moisten pseudo-intellectual English writing and journalism majors—sit on shelves after having sold 587 copies nationwide.

Saying, "I don't enjoy Tolkien" and pointing out some of the flaws in his prose is entirely reasonable. Saying "Tolkien's stuff is poorly written" is about a quarter-notch short of idiocy.

Back on topic.

  • I think the various Star Trek Relaunches from Pocket Books are for the most part insipid fan-wank
  • I believe the constant escalation of power in player characters is detrimental to the holistic gaming experience
  • I think everyone who plays D&D should DM at least a handful of times, so as to better appreciate what that guy or gal behind the screen is dealing with
  • I think the appeal of vampires to women is directly related to either their brokenness, my own gender's inadequacy, or some combination of both


Fabius Maximus wrote:

I like faeries. They are not cute, they only look that way. In "reality", they are vicious, untrustworthy little buggers who would slaughter any little pony they come across for fun/food (an idea I can get behind).

do you go for actively vicious or subtly vicious? i go for subtly vicious personally. whenever i play a faerie, i don't simply slaughter every horse and dog i see. but i will play around with the local political and educational systems. pretending to be an abducted young lady or similar youthful role.

usually, acting like the youth the faerie appears to be, and setting up tyrants for failure.

Sheriff of Nottingham abusing the people of Sherwood Forest? i will pretend to be a noble scion of higher status from another kingdom the Sheriff kidnapped to get him executed for treason with complex plans

i guess you can call most of my faeries anti-tyrant

some of them have even used stories to drive evil overlords into commiting suicide


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lazurin Arborlon wrote:
I don't care for the work of China Mieville despite enjoying steampunk. His protagonists bore me and he seems to be a guy who uses vocabulary for egocentric reasons.

I'm a China Miéville fan, and I totally get where you're coming from. However, I never saw Bas-Lag as steampunk and have no clue why people think it is. Bas-Lag, I consider more New Weird Fiction, if anything. So I'd support these charges, anyway.

My confession? No anime, please. Twenty years ago, my friends all tried to forcefeed me anime, and I still can't get the taste out of my mouth. I don't understand why all the characters need to be so recognizably similar.

501 to 550 of 603 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Confessions That Will Get You Shunned by Darn Near Everyone in Gaming All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.