Confessions That Will Get You Shunned By The Members Of The Paizo Community


Gamer Life General Discussion

3,801 to 3,850 of 4,499 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hey, hold on now be kind, after all soilent is people...

Wait a minute...

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
TheAlicornSage wrote:
TOZ wrote:
Terquem wrote:
...oh I give up.
That makes me the victor!
Except that he is right. Just because there is a problem for you, doesn't make it a problem for others.

Good thing I never said it was a problem for others. Just that it was a problem.


BigDTBone wrote:
knightnday wrote:
I'm more inclined to light a candle instead of cursing the darkness.

OK, you go to the store and buy some plain white candles for when the power goes out.

When you need them you open the box and of the ten candles you have the following:

One candle crumpled completely into wax dust.

One candle doesn't have a wick in it.

One candle is red.

One candle is half as long as the others.

Six candles seem OK.

You go onto the forum of the candle company and leave a concise complaint detailing the condition of candles you bought.

Candle Company Fanyboys pop into the thread:

Fanboy 1 wrote:


I like red candles!
Fanboy 2 wrote:


I used the short candle in my box and it worked just fine!
Fanboy 3 wrote:


I just took the wick from the crumpled candle and stuffed it in the one that didn't have a wick. I dont see what your problem is.
Fanboy 4 wrote:


You just have to take the bits of wax left in the box and dump them into your candle forge at home! Then its totally fine.

Ace sells candles singly. It sounds like you got that box of candles at a yard sale.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I think it's funny that nobody pointed out that with RPGs, especially Pathfinder, you can open the box and try out the candles before you buy them. Buying something you tried out and then, after the fact, complaining about it is pretty darn stupid.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:
I think it's funny that nobody pointed out that with RPGs, especially Pathfinder, you can open the box and try out the candles before you buy them. Buying something you tried out and then, after the fact, complaining about it is pretty darn stupid.

Though it's worth pointing out that many people's issues with PF don't show up until you reach a certain degree of system mastery and/or high levels.

Given the PRD you can of course "Try it out" for years, but assuming you like the first taste, buy it and find out it doesn't live up to that first taste, I think it's reasonable to complain. Also, many people who complain like many aspects of the game, but have problems with specific areas that they think could be fixed to improve the whole game.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:
I think it's funny that nobody pointed out that with RPGs, especially Pathfinder, you can open the box and try out the candles before you buy them. Buying something you tried out and then, after the fact, complaining about it is pretty darn stupid.

Though it's worth pointing out that many people's issues with PF don't show up until you reach a certain degree of system mastery and/or high levels.

Given the PRD you can of course "Try it out" for years, but assuming you like the first taste, buy it and find out it doesn't live up to that first taste, I think it's reasonable to complain. Also, many people who complain like many aspects of the game, but have problems with specific areas that they think could be fixed to improve the whole game.

That's why games have new editions. The problem is that the Wizards approach to new editions, unlike every other RPG publisher I can think of at the moment was pushing new games under the guise of new edition, forever tainting the understanding what a new edition means to large group of gamers that also happens to be important part of Pathfinder players.


I think it's funny that it digressed into a conversation about candles instead of what I intended: do something about the issue instead of be upset about it. :)


Malikjoker wrote:
I hate the Forgotten Realms Setting.

Funny, I like everywhere but the main campaign area. Kara-Tur, Al-Qadim, Maztica....


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love cheese, and while I don't automatically hate people who dislike it, my initial attitude starts out as "unfriendly" instead of "indifferent" if you don't, or "friendly" if you give me some.


I like thinking outside the box.

I create variations on spells like variant clone, which creates a combination of the two or more samples. The problem, if you want to think of it that way, is that the published system doesn't have the spells that created Owlbears, Landsharks, Cat People, ect. Pathfinder is a good system, which is why so much homebrew can be added to it.

I also built a ritual system, and a lot of open minded posters helped me expand it. Rituals are what creatures did before the Vancian spells were perfected. Some posters were designing game worlds set in prehistoric times. A lot of things can be done with rituals that weren't clearly possible with existing rules.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

I started doing a thing with ritual magic in my Serpent's Skull campaign along similar lines.


Kalindlara wrote:
I started doing a thing with ritual magic in my Serpent's Skull campaign along similar lines.

Have you started sacrificing your players yet? You'll probably be alright if you start with the smelly guy or the one who never chips in. But you gotta be careful after that.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Simon Legrande wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
I started doing a thing with ritual magic in my Serpent's Skull campaign along similar lines.
Have you started sacrificing your players yet? You'll probably be alright if you start with the smelly guy or the one who never chips in. But you gotta be careful after that.

Considering it...


thegreenteagamer wrote:
Krensky wrote:
Tormsskull wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Ever since I watched them pour the "meat" out of a bag, I've avoided Taco Bell. The consistency would make it hard to notice.
One of the many reasons I'm glad I'm a vegetarian :)

Coward. I and your ancestors shun you.

A vegetarian apex predator... What is the world coming to...

I, too, am a dirty hippie-tarian. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Mind you, I don't judge meat eaters. I am veggie mostly for health reasons - I had really bad blood pressure and cholesterol, quit meat, leveled out in under two months without meds, and haven't looked back for six years.

If you want to eat animals, whatever, humans are more important to me. If you want to treat your body like crap, guzzle Mt. Dew, sit on your butt all day, and down a tub of fried chicken, more power to you - I just got healthier by comparison thanks to your actions. Lowering the bar works for me.

Meat itself is not unhealthy, but the quantities most people eat meat is far beyond nominal. Humans really only need a few ounces per week, and many, if not most, eat more than that in each of many meals per week. Of course that doesn't account for cooking methods.

That is of course for proper nutrition, though obviously people can survive without it for extended periods, particularly wuth access to partial proteins like that found in beans.


TriOmegaZero wrote:
TheAlicornSage wrote:
TOZ wrote:
Terquem wrote:
...oh I give up.
That makes me the victor!
Except that he is right. Just because there is a problem for you, doesn't make it a problem for others.
Good thing I never said it was a problem for others. Just that it was a problem.

But they way you say it makes it sound objective, as though anyone else who tries it would have the same problem. It is like having a favorite color but talking about it like anyone with a different favorite color is just abnormal or broken because your favorite color objectively the best.

I figure on debatable issues, being explicit with what is subjective or objective is important to a good and solid arguement.


GM DarkLightHitomi wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:
Krensky wrote:
Tormsskull wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Ever since I watched them pour the "meat" out of a bag, I've avoided Taco Bell. The consistency would make it hard to notice.
One of the many reasons I'm glad I'm a vegetarian :)

Coward. I and your ancestors shun you.

A vegetarian apex predator... What is the world coming to...

I, too, am a dirty hippie-tarian. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Mind you, I don't judge meat eaters. I am veggie mostly for health reasons - I had really bad blood pressure and cholesterol, quit meat, leveled out in under two months without meds, and haven't looked back for six years.

If you want to eat animals, whatever, humans are more important to me. If you want to treat your body like crap, guzzle Mt. Dew, sit on your butt all day, and down a tub of fried chicken, more power to you - I just got healthier by comparison thanks to your actions. Lowering the bar works for me.

Meat itself is not unhealthy, but the quantities most people eat meat is far beyond nominal. Humans really only need a few ounces per week, and many, if not most, eat more than that in each of many meals per week. Of course that doesn't account for cooking methods.

I'm of the school of thought that one-two 4 ounce servings of meat per day is ideal, IF that meat was raised and processed right.

Commercial meat certainly is not.


TheAlicornSage wrote:
But they way you say it makes it sound objective

Nope! Not the way he said it, just the was you interpreted it. By RAW you are obviously wrong. So now we can argue about the RAI of TOZ's post.


GM DarkLightHitomi wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:
Krensky wrote:
Tormsskull wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Ever since I watched them pour the "meat" out of a bag, I've avoided Taco Bell. The consistency would make it hard to notice.
One of the many reasons I'm glad I'm a vegetarian :)

Coward. I and your ancestors shun you.

A vegetarian apex predator... What is the world coming to...

I, too, am a dirty hippie-tarian. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Mind you, I don't judge meat eaters. I am veggie mostly for health reasons - I had really bad blood pressure and cholesterol, quit meat, leveled out in under two months without meds, and haven't looked back for six years.

If you want to eat animals, whatever, humans are more important to me. If you want to treat your body like crap, guzzle Mt. Dew, sit on your butt all day, and down a tub of fried chicken, more power to you - I just got healthier by comparison thanks to your actions. Lowering the bar works for me.

Meat itself is not unhealthy, but the quantities most people eat meat is far beyond nominal. Humans really only need a few ounces per week, and many, if not most, eat more than that in each of many meals per week. Of course that doesn't account for cooking methods.

That is of course for proper nutrition, though obviously people can survive without it for extended periods, particularly wuth access to partial proteins like that found in beans.

1. Meat in the USA is far from optimally raised. They're pumped with hormones and antibiotics and often contaminated with feces and other stuff when slaughtered. Not to mentioned pumped with carbon monoxide to prevent color change, and so on, and so forth. I'm cool without that tiny amount that isn't at all necessary to live.

2. The "partial protein" stuff is old science. Meat is not necessary to live, period. Mix pretty much any two veggies and you have a complete set of amino acids, and they don't even have to be in the same meal. Personally, I eat a quite varied amount of veggies, and a lot of cheese, soy protein, and even occasionally eggs when I get a craving for something vaguely meat-like (although that's been a recent reintroduction - I went five years without eggs, and about six months once as a vegan, though I couldn't stay away from my delicious, delicious cheese). A total vegan has to study a little to get all their micronutrients, especially B12, but lacto-ovo veggies are usually good to go without even trying. Vegans just need to mix their diet up enough to get a complete protein set throughout the course of a day, get enough leafy greens for iron and calcium, and find a synthetic B12 supplement or regularly eat a lot of seaweed, but even they can go decades without animal products and no problems.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Meat isn't necessary to survive. It is necessary to live.

That you think otherwise is a sure sign that you're not getting enough to support proper brain function. ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If Bacon isn't solving all your problems, you just aren't eating enough of it :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thegreenteagamer wrote:

[

1. Meat in the USA is far from optimally raised. They're pumped with hormones and antibiotics and often contaminated with feces and other stuff when slaughtered. Not to mentioned pumped with carbon monoxide to prevent color change, and so on, and so forth. I'm cool without that tiny amount that isn't at all necessary to live.

2. The "partial protein" stuff is old science. Meat is not necessary to live, period. Mix pretty much any two veggies and you have a complete set of amino acids, and they don't...

Biggest source of E. coli outbreaks is lettuce. Veggies also have pesticides and other chemicals and are often GMOed.

But you are right about Ovo-Lacto veg, you can get a full spectrum of nutrients there.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

As a firm believer in baconology, I must protest the notion that no meat isn't necessary. While I acknowledge that some people can sustain a sad, desperate existence in such a manner, I believe "life", as in the complete package, MUST include bacon.

There is no such thing as too much bacon.

There is no such thing as a dish that won't be made better by bacon.

Even pigs will eat bacon and enjoy it, and pigs are very intelligent animals. We can learn from pigs. Eat bacon!

Bacon is awesome even when dipped in chocolate or used as a breadbasket. Bacon is good whether crispy or soft.

Bacon, quite simply, is.

Followed closely by cheese. Because cheese. Mmmh. Cheeeeeese.

Now combine bacon and cheese and you have perfection. Except bacon is already perfect, so it's perfection squared.

Now I want bacon. And it's an hour until lunch break.

WAAAAH!


DrDeth wrote:
thegreenteagamer wrote:

[

1. Meat in the USA is far from optimally raised. They're pumped with hormones and antibiotics and often contaminated with feces and other stuff when slaughtered. Not to mentioned pumped with carbon monoxide to prevent color change, and so on, and so forth. I'm cool without that tiny amount that isn't at all necessary to live.

2. The "partial protein" stuff is old science. Meat is not necessary to live, period. Mix pretty much any two veggies and you have a complete set of amino acids, and they don't...

Biggest source of E. coli outbreaks is lettuce. Veggies also have pesticides and other chemicals and are often GMOed.

But you are right about Ovo-Lacto veg, you can get a full spectrum of nutrients there.

Is there a reason you believe GMOs are bad?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Krensky wrote:
A vegetarian apex predator... What is the world coming to...

I LOL'ed :)

Like thegreenteagamer, I also went vegetarian for health reasons. I had doctors telling me that I needed to go on a pill, but I refused to. They told me that it would be incredibly unlikely to be able to get my levels down to acceptable ranges without the pill.

Well, after not eating meat for a little over two years, my levels were in the healthy ranges. My doctor was completely shocked. I'm now coming up on three years of being a vegetarian, and there's no turning back :)

Of course almost everyone I know eats meat, so I'm not preachy about it. I think far too many problems in the world come from people trying to force other people to live the way they live.


We were created to be upper paleolithic hunter gatherers... so the healthiest diet we can have contains veggies, fruit, AND meat. As long as you avoid processed foods and observe the virtue of moderation (yes that means too much of anything is bad for you) then you should be eating the healthiest diet possible.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The campaigns I GM have a lot of roleplay but I don't give RP XP to my players. I think roleplaying is a core part of the game, would be like giving XP for sucessfully filling your character sheet. I do however grant story rewards A LOT, including cohorts (regardless of Leadership feat), contacts, shop discounts, rich patrons, titles, guild memberships, romantic interests, fans, etc.

I allow players to take NPCs as part of the group. I roleplay them constantly and they even contribute with ideas (that can be good, meh or horrible, it's up for the PCs to discern). When there's more than one NPC following the party, I distribute simplified sheets and let my players control them during encounters.

I'd rather spend 1 RL hour roleplaying idle chat with an interesting character than 1 RL hour in combat.

I hate managing equipment and magic itens. I disregard average loot progression, many times my PCs have a lot less than they should for their level. I also plan loot based on what makes sense for the story, not for the players, so fighting against an evil cult, most itens will be evil, cursed or otherwise useless for the PCs. Best thing ever was when somebody played with an artificer. Never had to worry about loot again!

I love really slow progression. If I could, I'd keep my players forever around lvl 2-5. I don't like to punish my PCs for nothing or to see them fail, I simply prefer the attitude of people at lower levels. Hard not to plan carefully and mind your actions when you have few HP and may die from very mundane threats.

I hate to calculate XP. I remedied that by rewarding XP based on % to level up. All levels need only 20 XP. Easy things earn them 0.5 points, average challenges grant 1 point, challenging stuff is 2 points. I also don't reward XP for every fight.

I hate druids. Never use them as NPCs and cringe everytime someody wants to play with one.

I hate animal companions / familiars / eidolons / pets in general.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I think the leadership feat is for kids, if you need a make believe Entourage as an adult get a f$%@ing Twitter account and change your name to Kardashian or Ocho Cinco :-)

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aranna wrote:
We evolved to be upper paleolithic hunter gatherers... so the healthiest diet we can have contains veggies, fruit, AND meat. As long as you avoid processed foods and observe the virtue of moderation (yes that means too much of anything is bad for you) then you should be eating the healthiest diet possible.

FIFY. : )

I find it strange when people two places below me on the food chain say that they won't eat meat because they heard a story once where some feces came into contact with some meat, but happily chomp vegetables which are covered in feces as part of their production.


I love cheese, especially muenster, gouda, cheddar, provolone, mozzarella, blue, and American.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh, the cat's eaten it!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I love cooking with cheese, it's a blast no matter what kind:-)


I like Leadership but prefer to use it for Suikoden and Disgaea and other tactical style scenarios to make people more effective at getting their team of underlings to succeed.


Paneer is best cheese!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Terquem wrote:
Oh, the cat's eaten it!

Has he?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Randarak wrote:
Terquem wrote:
Oh, the cat's eaten it!
Has he?

She, Sir.


Tormsskull wrote:
Krensky wrote:
A vegetarian apex predator... What is the world coming to...

I LOL'ed :)

Like thegreenteagamer, I also went vegetarian for health reasons. I had doctors telling me that I needed to go on a pill, but I refused to. They told me that it would be incredibly unlikely to be able to get my levels down to acceptable ranges without the pill.

Well, after not eating meat for a little over two years, my levels were in the healthy ranges. My doctor was completely shocked. I'm now coming up on three years of being a vegetarian, and there's no turning back :)

Of course almost everyone I know eats meat, so I'm not preachy about it. I think far too many problems in the world come from people trying to force other people to live the way they live.

When someone tells me I can't drink coffee or be allergic to the preservative in bacon, I tell them we don't come off an assembly line.

Maybe I don't live by some people's definition. That's why I like Fantasy role playing games, TV, and movies. I keep going by pretending to be someone or thing else.


My grandmother ate what she liked and lived to the age of 91. She retained her mental faculties and passed in her sleep. I hope that the fates are as kind to me.


MissGrey wrote:
I love really slow progression. If I could, I'd keep my players forever around lvl 2-5.

You can. Just sit down and talk with your players and tell them you enjoy play at that level and don't want to take your games above that.

Then either simply extend play at Level 5 indefinitely for the sake of the roleplay and adventure [and accumulated loot] or adapt the E6 rules down to level 5 if the party wants continued character development. [If you're allowing sorcerers and oracles I suggest either cutting the levels off at 4 or 6 rather than 5 so they don't get screwed out of the highest level spells in the game. Unless you houserule them to get spell levels at the same rate as prepared casters like I do.]

Quote:
I hate to calculate XP. I remedied that by rewarding XP based on % to level up. All levels need only 20 XP. Easy things earn them 0.5 points, average challenges grant 1 point, challenging stuff is 2 points. I also don't reward XP for every fight.

Have you ever considered just... not using XP? It fits right in with your love of low levels and desire to stay there longer and it's SO MUCH EASIER on the GM. I know I'm never going to use EXP again, that's for sure.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I actually liked the Ben Affleck "Daredevil" movie.


Randarak wrote:
My grandmother ate what she liked and lived to the age of 91. She retained her mental faculties and passed in her sleep. I hope that the fates are as kind to me.

There is a gene scientists discovered that lets you live and eat any way you want and still live to a very old age. Fortunately you are related to her, so you have a better shot than the rest of us of inheriting it.


Malachi Silverclaw wrote:
Aranna wrote:
We evolved to be upper paleolithic hunter gatherers... so the healthiest diet we can have contains veggies, fruit, AND meat. As long as you avoid processed foods and observe the virtue of moderation (yes that means too much of anything is bad for you) then you should be eating the healthiest diet possible.

FIFY. : )

I find it strange when people two places below me on the food chain say that they won't eat meat because they heard a story once where some feces came into contact with some meat, but happily chomp vegetables which are covered in feces as part of their production.

I share your sense of strangeness about people's response to food production.

BUT evolution? Come now. This remains an unproven theory. Sure it sounds good, but at it's root is the faith that sentient life is just a random occurrence where just the exact chemicals mixed at the exact correct time in the exact correct place to start an incredibly complex reaction that ends with sentient life... The chances of which are so infinitesimally small that winning the lottery must seem like an automatic success to you.

And yes the creation theory also remains unproven. But it's root seems much more believable to me. That there exist higher orders of being than humans in the universe. And that one of these beings who our ancestors decided to call God came here and engineered sentient life.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Are you really saying evolution is "unfounded"? really?

Now thats funny!!

edit: that is all i'll say on the matter, real life religion has no place on a website for games, Electric Gaming Monthly is the place for such discussions:-D


4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm just going to pre-emptively shun these last two posts and all conversation that results from it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I confess that often I feel like it would be more fun to play Pathfinder (or D&D) with Legos rather than miniatures


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Terquem wrote:
I confess that often I feel like it would be more fun to play Pathfinder (or D&D) with Legos rather than miniatures

Speaking from personal experience, it actually is a lot of fun.


captain yesterday wrote:

Are you really saying evolution is "unfounded"? really?

Now thats funny!!

edit: that is all i'll say on the matter, real life religion has no place on a website for games, Electric Gaming Monthly is the place for such discussions:-D

The word I used is "unproven" big difference. Oh they have proven evolution exists in a few cases in the animal kingdom, but so far after decades and decades of searching no proof yet for humans.

~shrugs~ Feel free to shun me as is appropriate for the thread.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Speaking as someone who actually homebrewed a little faction-based wargame with her Legos... I could see it being great fun. ^_^


Simon Legrande wrote:


Is there a reason you believe GMOs are bad?

Didnt say they were.


I confess that I have a theory about Dinosaurs

My theory about Dinosaurs is this. Dinosaurs were small at one end, got considerably larger in the middle, and then were small again at the other end...

(with Apologies to Monty Python)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aranna wrote:
captain yesterday wrote:

Are you really saying evolution is "unfounded"? really?

Now thats funny!!

edit: that is all i'll say on the matter, real life religion has no place on a website for games, Electric Gaming Monthly is the place for such discussions:-D

The word I used is "unproven" big difference. Oh they have proven evolution exists in a few cases in the animal kingdom, but so far after decades and decades of searching no proof yet for humans.

~shrugs~ Feel free to shun me as is appropriate for the thread

"Proven" is a word scientists wouldn't use in this context. Evolution is not "proven". It is the current best working theory for explaining the fossil record and the currently observed diversity of life, including humans.

This appears to be a case of the common misunderstanding of scientific use of the word "theory".

3,801 to 3,850 of 4,499 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Confessions That Will Get You Shunned By The Members Of The Paizo Community All Messageboards