How can I obtain an animal companion without a class feature?


Advice

1 to 50 of 129 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

I'd like to be able to get a mount as a bard, but I don't want it to become useless in combat as the Bard levels up.

The only way I see to get a mount to level up with a PC is to have it be an animal companion, but I see no way to do that without a class feature.

I don't mind if I'd have to raise it from a smaller form before I could actually ride it at later levels. I also don't mind if its always a couple levels lower. I just don't want it to be useless, or likely to die in combat.

Is there any official way for a character without a class feature to get a mount who levels up with him, or would this have to be some sort of house ruling?


Leadership or if your GM allows Eldritch Heritage with Wildblooded bloodlines Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan).


Breiti wrote:

Leadership or if your GM allows Eldritch Heritage with Wildblooded bloodlines Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan).

Was there ever dev input on the Eldritch Heritage trick (since the companion is mentioned as part of the bloodline arcana you would otherwise not get, IIRC)?


You have some options.

Either you can wait 'till level 7 and take leadership to get a mount cohort. Having some Cha to boost your leadership score should not be the problem for a bard. The mount would get class levels to advance it to the right level given by your leadership score.

You could take the eldritch heritage to get an animal companion that you can use as a mount but at char level -3.
Or eldritch heritage for a familiar and, again, be small and take a goat or pig.

The other ones are class abilities but I'll list them because they are still options:

You could play a small Bard with an archetype that gets a familiar and take a pig or goat. That could be large enough to carry you.

Or cou could do a one level dip into a class with mount + boon companion for a mount that is at least a 4th level AC.

Or you could do a 4 level dip into cavalier, take the horsemaster feat and get a full AC. But taking 4 levels of another class if most likely too much. Even if cavalier and bard mix well in my opinion and even open up a prestige class.

Last option I know is to be an aasimar, ifrit or another class I don't remember and take some levels of nature oracle with the favored class bonus to the revelation giving you the mount (only even numers of levels make sense). You get an AC 1-1/2 the number of levels you take. After that you can boost it with boon companion.

Special: If your game uses the retraining rules you can combine two of the options by starting with a 1 level dip into cavalier with boon companion, mixing cavalier and bard any way you like and should you ever reach cavalier 4 you can retrain boon companion to horsemaster.

EDIT: OK; the familiar tricks don't work, goats and pigs are small. Didn't think they are because pigs can weigh several hundred pounds.

Lantern Lodge

Well if it is not PFS i would try to convince your DM to use the Animal Companion feat from WoTC.

Silver Crusade

There are two ways to do this. Both are PFS legal sources. Both take two feet's to complete.
Ultimate Magic
Skill Focus Knowledge Nature along with 13Cha Eldritch Heritage Bloodline Sylven. Grants you a animal companion equal to your level -3.

Pathfinder Player Companion: Faiths & Philosophies
Feet Nature Soul followed by Animal Ally. Animal Ally grants you a animal companion equal to your level -3.


I'm not totally sure the Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan) route will work, since Eldritch Heritage doesn't give you bloodline arcana, and the Sylvan animal companion replaces both the first level power AND counts as the bloodline arcana, as Whale Cancer said.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

If you are permitted 3rd party material, you can do it via the super genius games godline products. It would require 2 feats.

In the mystic godling there is a feat called spark of divinity which allows you to cound as a golding for prerequisites. Then there is another feat called Emergent Divinity with grants you one divine trait rank. You can use that rank to take from the Godling Ascendant - the Trait Divine Portfolio, which grants you 1 Oracle revalation. Take Nature Oracle's Bonded Mount. It requires 2 feats, but no level dips.


I read some people talking about using awaken to make a creature a magical beast, and then it would gain levels with the PCs.

How would that work?

Could a druid cast awaken on an animal, and then give/sell it to another character, and have it level with them?


Consider getting a Pegasus or Griffon trained? You don't need any particular feat for that. Just a chunk of money.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

There is a new feat in Faiths and Philosophies that does this. Any class 1 other feat as a prerequisite.

Don't recall the name off-hand but it had to do with following the green faith.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

I don't see a problem with using Eldritch Heritage. It shouldn't matter that the animal companion also counts as the bloodline arcana; what's important is that it's the first-level bloodline power. That's it.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Buy a mount and hire a trainer.

Just like people do in real life.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
calagnar wrote:

There are two ways to do this. Both are PFS legal sources. Both take two feet's to complete.

Ultimate Magic
Skill Focus Knowledge Nature along with 13Cha Eldritch Heritage Bloodline Sylven. Grants you a animal companion equal to your level -3.

This isn't legal. Eldritch heritage only offers you the Bloodline power. The Animal Companion replaces both the Bloodline power and the Arcana, which you don't have.


Also, I just found Wild Cohort which I guess would work, but I'm afraid since it only increases the HD every couple levels, it won't be able to keep up in it's usefulness.

On a similar note, I'm not sure if animal companions can get the feats and skills that their wild equivalents have. For example, would my axe beak companion (the mount I want) also get Run and Skill Focus (perception) feats? Could it get other animal feats/skills appropriate to the creature as it levels up?

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

RainyDayNinja wrote:
I don't see a problem with using Eldritch Heritage. It shouldn't matter that the animal companion also counts as the bloodline arcana; what's important is that it's the first-level bloodline power. That's it.

It matters a lot. You don't have a Bloodline Arcana, Eldritch Heritage doesn't give you a Bloodline Arcana, and since the Animal Companion replaces both the Bloodline Power and The Arcana, you don't get him.


The days my PCs go through a lot of horses. Like most knights back in the day, they usually pack a train of remounts. Some like to paraphrase Nathan B. Forrest's 'a hoss ahead' maxim. Back in my teens and early 20s, my players were more inclined to try to have just one mount.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Nuclearsunburn wrote:

I'm not totally sure the Eldritch Heritage (Sylvan) route will work, since Eldritch Heritage doesn't give you bloodline arcana, and the Sylvan animal companion replaces both the first level power AND counts as the bloodline arcana, as Whale Cancer said.

At the very least you'd have to take the Improved Eldritch Heritage feat as well to pull that off.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Ssalarn wrote:
RainyDayNinja wrote:
I don't see a problem with using Eldritch Heritage. It shouldn't matter that the animal companion also counts as the bloodline arcana; what's important is that it's the first-level bloodline power. That's it.
It matters a lot. You don't have a Bloodline Arcana, Eldritch Heritage doesn't give you a Bloodline Arcana, and since the Animal Companion replaces both the Bloodline Power and The Arcana, you don't get him.

Where does Eldritch Heritage say it doesn't give you a bloodline arcana? (Hint: It doesn't) All it says is that it gives you the first-level bloodline power. Is the animal companion a first-level bloodline power? Yes. Whatever else it is, is irrelevant.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
RainyDayNinja wrote:
Where does Eldritch Heritage say it doesn't give you a bloodline arcana? (Hint: It doesn't) All it says is that it gives you the first-level bloodline power.
pfsrd wrote:
Benefit: Select one sorcerer bloodline. You must have Skill focus in the class skill that bloodline grants to a sorcerer at 1st level (for example, Heal for the celestial bloodline). This bloodline cannot be a bloodline you already have. You gain the first-level bloodline power for the selected bloodline. For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities.

Emphasis mine. Before you get all snarky, you might want to check your facts next time.


You could take the handle animal skill or hire someone, to train an exotic riding animal that has a higher amount of HD then a horse. Like a gryphon (requires flying skill though) or another higher HD monster that is trainable.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Lord Pendragon wrote:
RainyDayNinja wrote:
Where does Eldritch Heritage say it doesn't give you a bloodline arcana? (Hint: It doesn't) All it says is that it gives you the first-level bloodline power.
pfsrd wrote:
Benefit: Select one sorcerer bloodline. You must have Skill focus in the class skill that bloodline grants to a sorcerer at 1st level (for example, Heal for the celestial bloodline). This bloodline cannot be a bloodline you already have. You gain the first-level bloodline power for the selected bloodline. For purposes of using that power, treat your sorcerer level as equal to your character level – 2, even if you have levels in sorcerer. You do not gain any of the other bloodline abilities.
Emphasis mine. Before you get all snarky, you might want to check your facts next time.

Hmm. Maybe I was getting it confused with a similar discussion about the Robes of Arcane Heritage, which doesn't have that line in it. My apologies.

Silver Crusade

Ssalarn wrote:
calagnar wrote:

There are two ways to do this. Both are PFS legal sources. Both take two feet's to complete.

Ultimate Magic
Skill Focus Knowledge Nature along with 13Cha Eldritch Heritage Bloodline Sylven. Grants you a animal companion equal to your level -3.

This isn't legal. Eldritch heritage only offers you the Bloodline power. The Animal Companion replaces both the Bloodline power and the Arcana, which you don't have.

Not according the venture caption I talked to about it. There is no hard rule from Paizo for or prohibiting it. I tried to get a response from Paizo on it. No luck so I hade a talk with my local VC. I have not been the only one to do this. So unless Paizo comes down with a rule that you can't. You can by default because it is the bloodline power. Whether you get any other ability's or not dose not affect the first bloodline power.


Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
RainyDayNinja wrote:


Where does Eldritch Heritage say it doesn't give you a bloodline arcana? (Hint: It doesn't) All it says is that it gives you the first-level bloodline power. Is the animal companion a first-level bloodline power? Yes. Whatever else it is, is irrelevant.

Unfortunately you're wrong. The Animal Companion is neither a bloodline power, nor an arcana but something as the text specifies, REPLACES BOTH. You'd need have both of those available in order to snag the power. And Eldritch Heritage by itself, will not give that to you.


Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.

Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.


Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.

Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.


Note that if you get via Eldritch Heritage it Character level -3 for an animal companion from sylvan Blood line. Then -2 on top of that eldritch heirage chain of feats. In my book you need to Add Boon companion feat to it just keep some what in line power wise. So it cost you 3 feats to get animal companion at level 3 that when you hit level 20 will be a level 19 AC. That alot of feat. when you only have 10. (Maybe 4 feats if you take mounted combat)

Light horse and sadel 85 gp
Wand of Mount 750 gp
Leadership level 7 and 1 feat
eldritch heirage chain level 3 and 2 or 3 feats
Spell Phantom Steed 6th level and 1 3rd level spell slot

Phantom Steed
School conjuration (creation); Level bard 3, sorcerer/wizard 3
Casting Time 10 minutes
Components V, S
Range 0 ft.
Effect one quasi-real, horselike creature
Duration 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You conjure a Large, quasi-real, horselike creature (the exact coloration can be customized as you wish). It can be ridden only by you or by the one person for whom you specifically created the mount. A phantom steed has a black head and body, gray mane and tail, and smoke-colored, insubstantial hooves that make no sound. It has what seems to be a saddle, bit, and bridle. It does not fight, but animals shun it and refuse to attack it.

The mount is AC 18 (–1 size, +4 natural armor, +5 Dex) and 7 hit points + 1 hit point per caster level. If it loses all its hit points, the phantom steed disappears. A phantom steed has a speed of 20 feet per two caster levels, to a maximum of 100 feet at 10th level. It can bear its rider's weight plus up to 10 pounds per caster level.

These mounts gain certain powers according to caster level. A mount's abilities include those of mounts of lower caster levels.

8th Level: The mount can ride over sandy, muddy, or even swampy ground without difficulty or decrease in speed.

10th Level: The mount can use water walk at will (as the spell, no action required to activate this ability).

12th Level: The mount can use air walk at will (as the spell, no action required to activate this ability) for up to 1 round at a time, after which it falls to the ground.

14th Level: The mount can fly at its speed with a bonus on Fly skill checks equal to your caster level.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.

You can't take an archetype of a class you don't have.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.

Arcehtypes replace class features. The Sylvan bloodline gives you the Animal Companion, which replaces the Bloodline Power and the Arcana. Since you don't have an Arcana to replace, you cannot take the Sylvan archetype.


Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.

Because eldritch chain give only you just the first level blood line power.

Because Wildblooded (Archetype)for the sylvan blood say it replaces both
bloodline power counts and bloodline arcana of base fey blood line.

Sylvan
Your ties to nature have more to do with creatures than with capriciousness.

Associated Bloodline: Fey.

Bloodline Arcana: See bloodline powers.

Bloodline Powers: Your magic shows a kinship to that of the beast-talkers and shapechanger fey.

Animal Companion (Ex): You gain an animal companion. Your effective druid level for this ability is equal to your sorcerer level – 3 (minimum 1st). This bloodline power counts as your bloodline arcana and also replaces laughing touch.


Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.

The archetype gives you access to a new type of thing "mutated bloodlines"; they are a feature of the archetype. They are not considered bloodlines.

This is how it works by RAW, AFAIK. Though I think DMs should allow them to be treated as normal bloodlines (for things like Eldritch Heritage and the Crossblooded archetype).


LazarX wrote:
Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.
You can't take an archetype of a class you don't have.

You are not taking archetype but blood line power form Sorcerer class. Which is Eldritch Heritage gives you.


Tom S 820 wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.
You can't take an archetype of a class you don't have.

You are not taking archetype but blood line power form Sorcerer class. Which is Eldritch Heritage gives you.

Mutated bloodlines are a class feature of an archetype, they are not normal sorcerer bloodlines.

Gunsligers, for instance, can't take the grit powers of the Gnomish gunslinger... because they are not Gnomish Gunslingers. This is the same principal.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

You don't even need the Cha for Eldritch Heritage any more.

Pathfinder Player Companion: Faiths & Philosophies
Nature Soul
Benefit: You get a +2 bonus on all Knowledge (nature)
checks and Survival checks.
Animal Ally
Prerequisites: Nature Soul, character level 4th,
Benefit: You gain an animal companion as if you were
a druid of your character level –3 from the following
list: badger, bird, camel, cat (small), dire rat, dog, horse,
pony, snake (viper), or wolf.


Whale_Cancer wrote:
Tom S 820 wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Trogdar wrote:
Whale_Cancer wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
Eldritch Heritage has also never been confirmed to work with the wildblooded variants.
Also this. You technically need to be a wildblooded sorcerer to get access to the wildblooded bloodlines, otherwise you (you being a player taking the eldritch heritage feat) are stuck with the normal sorcerer bloodlines.
Why does the fact that these bloodlines come from an archetype bar use of eldritch heritage? I see this a lot, but I don't see the logic.
You can't take an archetype of a class you don't have.

You are not taking archetype but blood line power form Sorcerer class. Which is Eldritch Heritage gives you.

Mutated bloodlines are a class feature of an archetype, they are not normal sorcerer bloodlines.

Gunsligers, for instance, can't take the grit powers of the Gnomish gunslinger... because they are not Gnomish Gunslingers. This is the same principal.

Gnomeish dose not have any extra grit powers it has Innovations.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Tom S 820 wrote:


You are not taking archetype but blood line power form Sorcerer class. Which is Eldritch Heritage gives you.

This is where you are confused. Sylvan Bloodline is an Archetype, one that builds off the Fey Bloodline. It changes the Bloodline Power and Bloodline Arcana. Since you don't have both class features, you can't take the archetype.


I'd appreciate it if we could stay on topic. I probably won't be taking the Eldritch Heritage route, so I see little point in arguing about it.

I'll probably be going with the Wild Cohort feat, unless there's a way to do it without any feats, such as the Awaken spell I mentioned before.

The Phantom Steed spell is a possible option, and pretty nice if an ally needs a mount, but I'd prefer for mine to be a real creature companion, and I don't much care for it to be able to fly. Still, thanks for reminding me about it.


sk8r_dan_man wrote:

I'd appreciate it if we could stay on topic. I probably won't be taking the Eldritch Heritage route, so I see little point in arguing about it.

I'll probably be going with the Wild Cohort feat, unless there's a way to do it without any feats, such as the Awaken spell I mentioned before.

The Phantom Steed spell is a possible option, and pretty nice if an ally needs a mount, but I'd prefer for mine to be a real creature companion, and I don't much care for it to be able to fly. Still, thanks for reminding me about it.

Wild Cohort isn't even PF and an official PF equivalent was posted upthread...


I searched for Animal Companion Feat and Wild Cohort is what I found. What's the PF equivalent?


Ssalarn wrote:
Tom S 820 wrote:


You are not taking archetype but blood line power form Sorcerer class. Which is Eldritch Heritage gives you.

This is where you are confused. Sylvan Bloodline is an Archetype, one that builds off the Fey Bloodline. It changes the Bloodline Power and Bloodline Arcana. Since you don't have both class features, you can't take the archetype.

Im sorry, a mutated bloodline is a bloodline. It says so itself. I may not be able to take sylvan specifically because of the arcana issue, but that is a grey area, any other mutated bloodline is still a bloodline.

You can't even debate it. Does the archetype have a bloodline? Yes? There you go.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@skater: Look up at calagnar's post. It's from a new book.

Trogdar wrote:
Ssalarn wrote:
Tom S 820 wrote:


You are not taking archetype but blood line power form Sorcerer class. Which is Eldritch Heritage gives you.

This is where you are confused. Sylvan Bloodline is an Archetype, one that builds off the Fey Bloodline. It changes the Bloodline Power and Bloodline Arcana. Since you don't have both class features, you can't take the archetype.

Im sorry, a mutated bloodline is a bloodline. It says so itself. I may not be able to take sylvan specifically because of the arcana issue, but that is a grey area, any other mutated bloodline is still a bloodline.

You can't even debate it. Does the archetype have a bloodline? Yes? There you go.

I'm sorry, a mutated bloodline is a modification to a bloodline. It says so itself. This is not a grey area, mutated bloodlines are not bloodlines.

You can't even debate it. Does the archetype give you access to bloodlines? It doesn't say so; it gives you access to modifications of existing bloodlines. There you go.

We can all be obnoxious.


I see. So despite the fact that it is literally called a bloodline is some kind of red herring. I must praise the developers of this game for their cunning. Are there other things in this game that are not exactly what they are called? I should write this all down somewhere...


With Leadership though, the AC is effectively only going to end up as a 'your level - 5 = CR', pretty weak.


Whale_Cancer wrote:
@skater: Look up at calagnar's post. It's from a new book.

Thanks. I didn't realize he was the one who posted it.

Anyway, what about the Awaken spell? How would that work in comparison?


Awakened animals become NPC's as far as I understand it. You would have to take leadership to keep the animal around.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
sk8r_dan_man wrote:

I'll probably be going with the Wild Cohort feat, unless there's a way to do it without any feats, such as the Awaken spell I mentioned before.

For reference, an Awakened animal has pretty much become another NPC. They can choose to stay with you, if you treated them well while they were a normal animal, but it's their choice now, just like any other person. Unless you plan to enslave them to your will somehow, in which case rock on.

For such a creature to progress with you, they basically need to start gaining class levels on their own, which means they'll be getting a share of the XP. Depending on your party, this might annoy some people. Not to mention Awaken being a 5th level druid spell with a 2000 gp material component. Not exactly chump change, at least until you're a really high level yourself.

Probably, if you're looking for a more reliable option, the two feat combo calagnar mentioned is your best bet. It only drains your resources, the animal is specifically under your control...it's good stuff. I would additionally suggest Boon Companion, to get your animal friend a few more levels of druidic power.

Dark Archive

I like the nature soul and animal ally idea. Is that pfs legal? Cause if so I'm gonna make a fighter with badger buddy.


Still, Three Feats is a bit of an investment...!


an animal companion is a reasonable value for a three feat chain. I've certainly seen worse things to invest in.

1 to 50 of 129 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / How can I obtain an animal companion without a class feature? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.