Animal Companions in PFS


Pathfinder Society

Liberty's Edge

Maybe this has already been answered, but how many tricks do animal companions (say for druids or huntmaster cavaliers) begin play with? They get their bonus trick, but is that it? Or do they get to start with some? How does a character train his companion new tricks in PFS since most scenarios are only a day or 2?

5/5 5/55/55/5

They start with 2X their int score + the bonus tricks.

FAQ

The first time a character with levels in druid, ranger, or any other class that grants an animal companion gains an animal companion, the animal enters play knowing its maximum number of tricks as dictated by the animal companion's Intelligence and the character's effective druid level. If the character replaces the animal companion for any reason, the new animal starts with no tricks known, save for bonus tricks granted based on the PC's effective druid level.

Liberty's Edge

Awesome! I knew I read it somewhere but couldn't remember where lol thanks

Shadow Lodge 4/5

It's actually 3 tricks per point of Intelligence, not 2. Other than that, BNW is spot on. The rules for tricks are found in the rules for the Handle Animal skill.

Liberty's Edge

thanks again!

Liberty's Edge

Just to add on: If you need to teach your animal new tricks, you are allowed to make 1 attempt per rank you have in Handle Animal skill between scenarios. Naturally, a GM has to witness the rolls for your training attempts to count.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

jcederberg wrote:
Just to add on: If you need to teach your animal new tricks, you are allowed to make 1 attempt per rank you have in Handle Animal skill between scenarios. Naturally, a GM has to witness the rolls for your training attempts to count.

You can take 10. If taking 10 would be automatic, just record the train on your ITS.

EXAMPLE:
Train Fluffy to 2nd Attack (T10)

The GM can then look at it and sign your chronicle sheet noting that training was approved.

Scarab Sages

Mystic Lemur wrote:
It's actually 3 tricks per point of Intelligence, not 2. Other than that, BNW is spot on. The rules for tricks are found in the rules for the Handle Animal skill.

So a oracle's animal companion would start with 18 tricks? INT 6

Silver Crusade

How are you getting an animal with an int of 6? They all have starting int of 1 or 2, depending on the animal.


Fromper wrote:
How are you getting an animal with an int of 6? They all have starting int of 1 or 2, depending on the animal.

Oracle of Nature can get a bonded mount, which like Paladin mounts starts with 6 INT.

And yes, that is correct. My paladin's axebeak has 18 tricks from intelligence. Although, at that point he also has a language, so I can just ask/tell him what to do. He may or may no comply based on his tricks and the GM

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

The Bonded Mount for either a Paladin or Oracle with the Mount revelation start with INT 6. But it still doesn't stop you from needing to make Handle Animal checks.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

CRobledo wrote:
Fromper wrote:
How are you getting an animal with an int of 6? They all have starting int of 1 or 2, depending on the animal.

Oracle of Nature can get a bonded mount, which like Paladin mounts starts with 6 INT.

And yes, that is correct. My paladin's axebeak has 18 tricks from intelligence. Although, at that point he also has a language, so I can just ask/tell him what to do. He may or may no comply based on his tricks and the GM

It doesn't matter if it has a language or not. You still need to make handle animal checks.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Andrew Christian wrote:
It doesn't matter if it has a language or not. You still need to make handle animal checks.

Yep, in PFS you can boost your celestial mount's INT to 12 and give it Linguistics to understand Common, but you'll still need to push it to have it Smite Evil on a creature you specify (*) or drop its SR...

* - According to the GM, "just because an animal companion knows how to use its abilities, doesn't mean it knows when to use them. You'll need to make a Handle Animal check to push your horse to Smite Evil when you want it to." Yay...


Andrew Christian wrote:
It doesn't matter if it has a language or not. You still need to make handle animal checks.

I never implied I didn't. I just have +9 on Handle Animal, so it's just never an issue. At 18 tricks and "animals know how to use all feats they have" there is barely anything left that I would ask of it to matter.


Sparky Spain wrote:
but you'll still need to push it to have it Smite Evil on a creature you specify (*) or drop its SR...

I disagree on the Smite Evil. There is a clarification that states that they know how to use their Feats regardless of handle animal checks. It would be pretty farfecthed to say it didn't apply to something like a "class feature". It's a celestial axebeak. It knows how to smite evil.

That's like saying I needed to push him for him to know how (sorry.... WHEN) to eat.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Sparky Spain wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
It doesn't matter if it has a language or not. You still need to make handle animal checks.

Yep, in PFS you can boost your celestial mount's INT to 12 and give it Linguistics to understand Common, but you'll still need to push it to have it Smite Evil on a creature you specify (*) or drop its SR...

* - According to the GM, "just because an animal companion knows how to use its abilities, doesn't mean it knows when to use them. You'll need to make a Handle Animal check to push your horse to Smite Evil when you want it to." Yay...

According to which GM?

The fact that AC's know how to use their feats (per the PFS FAQ), I would imagine they know how to use all their special abilities as well.

I would not require a Paladin to push their mount to get them to smite a specific badguy.

5/5 5/55/55/5

Sparky Spain wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
It doesn't matter if it has a language or not. You still need to make handle animal checks.

Yep, in PFS you can boost your celestial mount's INT to 12 and give it Linguistics to understand Common, but you'll still need to push it to have it Smite Evil on a creature you specify (*) or drop its SR...

* - According to the GM, "just because an animal companion knows how to use its abilities, doesn't mean it knows when to use them.

Citation?

This question came up specifically with regards to body guard. The feat would be completely useless if the owner had to push because pushing is at best a move action and body guard requires an immediate action to be relevant.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Animal Companions in PFS All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.