Leaving a Trait open


Pathfinder Society

Shadow Lodge

so I have a character that Im working on... and having an issue with the 2nd trait .. is it a viable action to simply Not Choose a 2nd Trait in case something turns up later that feels more right ... or is the trait slot a "use it or Loose it"

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Wraith235 wrote:
so I have a character that Im working on... and having an issue with the 2nd trait .. is it a viable action to simply Not Choose a 2nd Trait in case something turns up later that feels more right ... or is the trait slot a "use it or Loose it"

Do you mean like a PFS character going through "First Steps" or "Master of the Fallen Fortress"? (Where the character will not yet have chosen a faction?)

Grand Lodge

The great thing is, up until you turn level 2, you can change your character (just not purchased equipment) choices... including traits. Until then just take something generic with your trait like a +1 to a save.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

No I dont .... this is a situation where Im just having an issue choosing a 2nd trait ... one that fits the character and for the books I own

Helaman wrote:
The great thing is, up until you turn level 2, you can change your character (just not purchased equipment) choices... including traits. Until then just take something generic with your trait like a +1 to a save.

know that as well ...

5/5 ⦵⦵⦵

well, describe the character, maybe we can help you trait hunt.


Wraith235 wrote:
so I have a character that Im working on... and having an issue with the 2nd trait .. is it a viable action to simply Not Choose a 2nd Trait in case something turns up later that feels more right ... or is the trait slot a "use it or Loose it"

The latter.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Patrick Harris @ MU wrote:
Wraith235 wrote:
so I have a character that Im working on... and having an issue with the 2nd trait .. is it a viable action to simply Not Choose a 2nd Trait in case something turns up later that feels more right ... or is the trait slot a "use it or Loose it"
The latter.

Though you might want to wait on an "Official Ruling", but since 90% of the Paizo staff is at GenCon, that may take some time.


Lord Fyre wrote:
Patrick Harris @ MU wrote:
Wraith235 wrote:
so I have a character that Im working on... and having an issue with the 2nd trait .. is it a viable action to simply Not Choose a 2nd Trait in case something turns up later that feels more right ... or is the trait slot a "use it or Loose it"
The latter.
Though you might want to wait on an "Official Ruling", but since 90% of the Paizo staff is at GenCon, that may take some time.
Guide 5.0 p9 wrote:
Pathfinder Society characters begin play with two traits

Yes, there are exceptions, but they are explicitly noted.

If that's not good enough for you, feel free to wait for an official clarification. I don't think you'll get one--campaign leadership isn't in the habit clarifying things that are pretty clearly spelled out--but if you do, it will be that you can't just not choose a trait in the hopes of finding a good one later. So if you decide to build a character with one trait in the hopes of that choice being blessed later, be prepared to be stuck with one trait.

The Exchange

Patrick Harris @ MU wrote:
So if you decide to only take one trait at character creation in the hopes that the campaign leadership will decide to allow you to pick another one at a later date, be prepared to be stuck with just one trait.

I'll go slightly further - if you only pick one trait, be prepared to be turned away from a table or at least chastised for having an illegal character as the guide says 'begin play with two traits'.

I'd hope that it would never happen, but I've seen displays of extreme lawfulness on the boards.

Shadow Lodge

its a wiz (diviner) Cleric (sepratist) of Calistra using the new SLA rules .. going into mystic theruge

finding one that works isnt a huge deal ... more than finding one that fits the character and adds something flavorish to her

Magic Trait is already claimed
The Old Standby is to make perception a class skill (making it Osirion or Grand Lodge)
I dont own UCamp ...(Calistrian Courtesan)

theres lots of choices ... just not one that jumps at me


If I can't find anything suitable, I go with Reactionary. +2 initiative is never a bad thing, and since you can re-flavor traits to suit character concepts, you don't have to keep the "bullied" angle--all you really need to say is that you've developed an adventurer's sense of danger.

The Exchange 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
brock, no the other one... wrote:
Patrick Harris @ MU wrote:
So if you decide to only take one trait at character creation in the hopes that the campaign leadership will decide to allow you to pick another one at a later date, be prepared to be stuck with just one trait.

I'll go slightly further - if you only pick one trait, be prepared to be turned away from a table or at least chastised for having an illegal character as the guide says 'begin play with two traits'.

I'd hope that it would never happen, but I've seen displays of extreme lawfulness on the boards.

I can see it now....

Judge reviewing character before game: "hay, you've only got ONE TRAIT? what is this?"
Wraith235: "yeah, I only picked one when I started the PC. I went out to the boards and they said 'use it or loose it'..."
Judge: "no way am I going to let you pull that at MY table! You can't possibly play this ILLEGAL character! What do you think you're trying to pull!"
Wraith235: " Ah...sorry? How do I fix this?"
Judge: "You pick a Trait RIGHT NOW or run a Generic or Go Away!"
Wraith235: "Ok... I'll add (insert new trait you want on the PC)."

(eye roll)

Really, is this a problem?

The Exchange

nosig wrote:
Really, is this a problem?

I see your scenario as completely in character with my perception of some of the posters on the boards, yes. As I said, I hope that it would never happen in reality.

Sovereign Court

Helaman wrote:
The great thing is, up until you turn level 2, you can change your character (just not purchased equipment) choices... including traits. Until then just take something generic with your trait like a +1 to a save.

I'm pretty sure that you can sell back your gear for 100%, just not expended consumables.


Wraith235 wrote:

its a wiz (diviner) Cleric (sepratist) of Calistra using the new SLA rules .. going into mystic theruge

finding one that works isnt a huge deal ... more than finding one that fits the character and adds something flavorish to her

Magic Trait is already claimed
The Old Standby is to make perception a class skill (making it Osirion or Grand Lodge)
I dont own UCamp ...(Calistrian Courtesan)

theres lots of choices ... just not one that jumps at me

Reactionary works for a diviner imho. Since Knowledge (arcane) & (religion) are preq's for Theurge, choosing a trait that adds a bonus (and making it a class skill) makes sense for the character. Just going down the list:

Anatomist: You have studied the workings of anatomy (calistria). You know WHEN to aim your blows thanks to divination insights.
Courageous: Bully: Canter: your brief glimpses into the future reveal some things as temporary influences at best.
Birthmark: Sacred Conduit: Sacred Touch: You have been marked by Calistria.
Veteran of Battle (CN): ...diviner.
Patient Optimist (LG): "You know that all things pass in time," which is what I meant above about courageous, bully & Canter. Curses for starting at the top of the list instead of the bottom... :)

Liberty's Edge

Helaman wrote:
The great thing is, up until you turn level 2, you can change your character (just not purchased equipment) choices... including traits. Until then just take something generic with your trait like a +1 to a save.

Actually, according to Mike Brock you can sell equipment (non-consumable items) for full value while at level 1 when changing and trying to decide on what class you want to take. I'll see if I can find the thread he said it in.

Scarab Sages 4/5

Is the magic trait Magical Knack? Mechanically it's probably the best trait for a multiclass caster, but I can see choosing something different for background reasons.

There are a lot of great options that are not core. Avid Reader, for example, from Quests & Campaigns. Pick one knowledge skill. You can always take 10 on it, even when distracted or threatened.

Since you mentioned it, Calistrian Prostitute/Courtesan is in the Advanced Player's Guide, right? I think the one in Ultimate Campaign was a reprint of the trait to gather most (all?) of the deity based traits in one place.

A lot of the traits in Ultimate Campaign appear to be reprints, so anything in there may exist in another, older source.

Reactionary, as mentioned, is always a good default trait, but I know it can get boring taking it on every character.

Sacred Conduit if you think you'll be channeling for damage a lot.

Also, Ultimate Campaign appears to have added the Seeker social trait, which is a +1 to perception and perception as a class skill that is not tied to a faction. I don't recognize that trait from anywhere, so I'm not sure if it appears in another book.

Shadow Lodge

Ferious Thune wrote:
Is the magic trait Magical Knack? Mechanically it's probably the best trait for a multiclass caster, but I can see choosing something different for background reasons.

Yes

Ferious Thune wrote:

There are a lot of great options that are not core. Avid Reader, for example, from Quests & Campaigns. Pick one knowledge skill. You can always take 10 on it, even when distracted or threatened.

Since you mentioned it, Calistrian Prostitute/Courtesan is in the Advanced Player's Guide, right? I think the one in Ultimate Campaign was a reprint of the trait to gather most (all?) of the deity based traits in one place.

I'll have to check that one, and indeed it is ... nice catch

Ferious Thune wrote:

Reactionary, as mentioned, is always a good default trait, but I know it can get boring taking it on every character.

Sacred Conduit if you think you'll be channeling for damage a lot.

Really dont want Reactionary on this ..

and Conduit is gonna be just <-- that side of worthless with only 1d6 channnel energy

Ferious Thune wrote:


Also, Ultimate Campaign appears to have added the Seeker social trait, which is a +1 to perception and perception as a class skill that is not tied to a faction. I don't recognize that trait from anywhere, so I'm not sure if it appears in another book.

As mentioned before .. this is one book I dont have ... - I have a few others that are higher priority than this one

tho I will take some time to Scour the ones I do have to check for reprints

Scarab Sages 4/5

Right, sorry, I forgot for a second that Mystic Theyrge doesn't increase channel. Forget Sacred Conduit.

I mentioned Seeker in case anyone knew if it came from a different book. I think it's new, though, as I remember searching many times for something other than a faction trait to give perception as a class skill, and I don't remember ever seeing Seeker before.

Shadow Lodge

the Calistra Feat being in the APG Solved my issue .... I wanted that one .. but dont have the money to buy UCamp yet

Silver Crusade

If I can't decide on a second trait and I don't want reactionary, I look for what my worst save is going to be and shore it up with my second trait.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Leaving a Trait open All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.