List your PFS Retrains here!


Pathfinder Society

1 to 50 of 102 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge 5/5 **

This is a thread for discussing what retrains you're going to take advantage of for your PFS characters with the implementation of PFS retraining. If possible, give a bit of history or information on the character.

This isn't a place to discuss the pros or cons of implementing retraining. If you want to gripe or gloat, feel free to do that elsewhere.

I'll start.

My highest level character, a druid, (14th) is going to retrain out of his animal companion and pick up a domain. I never used the companion much (either because it wasn't appropriate or because the table was already big and I didn't want to crowd out other players) while leveling him and I'll be glad to be rid of him for an actual useful class feature.

Silver Crusade 1/5

My 11th level thief is going to train/retrain and take the scout arch type
that was created after he gained second level.

4/5

I don't know what I'm going to do, but I do know I'm retraining my level 5 Druid until he's out of Prestige.

Never build your character out of a guide without a basic understanding of the system.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, Conventions—Gen Con

My Sorcerer 14 is training out of Dodge. He was my first character and it was a feat recommended to me when I built him since I had never played Pathfinder. However, at 14th level, there isn't much difference between 14 AC and 15 AC, so that Dodge is probably becoming a metamagic feat.

EDIT: Also, my master of many styles was originally built to be Crane Style/Mantis Style. Then Blood of Angels came out and I switched to Crane/Archon style, but I still have this pesky Mantis Style feat. It's probably getting switched out for something further up the Crane/Archon feat chain.

Sczarni 2/5

I might be retraining my 14th level witch's patron from Elements to something else. Sure, having attack spells is cool and all, but... I pretty much never need them.

My 13th level magus/wizard might be swapping out an arcana, but that's it, if anything.

Beyond that, I'm actually pretty happy with all my characters' builds.

Scarab Sages 4/5

Iammars wrote:

My Sorcerer 14 is training out of Dodge. He was my first character and it was a feat recommended to me when I built him since I had never played Pathfinder. However, at 14th level, there isn't much difference between 14 AC and 15 AC, so that Dodge is probably becoming a metamagic feat.

EDIT: Also, my master of many styles was originally built to be Crane Style/Mantis Style. Then Blood of Angels came out and I switched to Crane/Archon style, but I still have this pesky Mantis Style feat. It's probably getting switched out for something further up the Crane/Archon feat chain.

My level 10 Sorcerer will likely retrain Dodge for the same reason, and also likely to a Metamagic Feat. That way I won't have to choose between taking Maximize Spell or Quicken Spell at 11th.

My 6th level Monk may retrain Snake Style. I'm not sure to what yet, maybe Toughness. Snake Style alone doesn't do much for him. Even maxed, he'd have to roll a 19 on Sense Motive to see an AC benefit if he's spent a Ki on AC, or a 15 if not. If he keeps Snake Style, it's committing his 7th and 9th level feats to be the rest of the Style chain, which he'd only get to use for 3 levels before hitting 12th. I'm thinking about having him focus on Grappling instead. But then again, a Nagaji with Snake Style, so maybe I'll keep it.

My 4th level Cleric may retrain several things. I had no plan when I built him.

My 5th level Fighter/Oracle sadly can't retrain Focused Mind to Magical Knack, but there are lots of us in that boat.

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/5 **

I have a dawnflower dervish with 1 level of urban barbarian. I am not quite sure yet but I'm definitely considering retraining her to be 100% bard.

Although I'd miss the opportunity to "snit" (controlled rage)

3/5

My 13th level Cleric's 1st domain is going to get a retrain. Might also change a feat or two, such as Fleet and Cleave / Cleaving Finish.

Grand Lodge 1/5

I am thinking of retraining my attempt at an Aldori Swordlord.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 **

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I may make my invulnerable rager something else if for no other reason than they seem to be dime-a-dozen.

Don't worry Kyle, he'll still be able to scare your dragons. =)

5/5 5/55/55/5

Getting rid of stealth synergy on my druid would be nice. It hardly every comes up and the druids stealth score has shot well past the raptors anyway....

Dark Archive 2/5

My samurai is probably getting rid of mounted combat. I got it at first level, and it has never saved my mount from getting hit in 7 levels. At this point, my poor axebeak almost has more AC than even a 20 plus my ride check.

Grand Lodge

I'm retraining my mount to get Combat Reflexes earlier to qualify for Bodyguard.

5/5 5/55/55/5

Rhys Proudfoot wrote:
I'm retraining my mount to get Combat Reflexes earlier to qualify for Bodyguard.

Do the retrain rules work on critters? I could always release and retrain but that seems wrong... Conan needs a snazzy new cape to replace HIS stealth synergy.

Grand Lodge

BigNorseWolf wrote:
Do the retrain rules work on critters? I could always release and retrain but that seems wrong... Conan needs a snazzy new cape to replace HIS stealth synergy.

Drat, I assumed they did, but when I looked over Ultimate Campaign, I didn't see any mention for animal companions :(. It would be awesome if Paizo added just a tiny blurb, "animal companions may also retrain according to the guidelines provided, incurring the same costs in gold and prestige from their master."

3/5 RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Is there a way to retrain traits or racial traits? I'd like to get rid of Rough and Ready on my cleric, since I'm too high a level to still be hitting people with my shovel. I'd also like to retrain my halfling Bluff/Disguise ninja to get the alternate racial trait that gives me bonuses to those, since it came out after I was already level 2 or 3.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

Racial traits, yes. Normal traits, no.

5/5 *

For critters, it may be easier (like BNW alluded to) to "let them go" and get a new one assuming it's a bonded mount). New one comes with new stuff, you may need to teach it some new tricks again I guess.

I have had to take one of my axebeaks "behind the house by the shed" for something that hurt me more than it hurt him.


A shame you can retrain racial traits, class stuff etc, but not traits. When you first make a character, knowing what could be useful etc later is hard to know. Even more then feats etc that you gain as you lvl. The possibility to retrain to Magical Knack if you dipped in something other then your caster class could be good.

5/5 5/55/55/5

CRobledo wrote:

For critters, it may be easier (like BNW alluded to) to "let them go" and get a new one assuming it's a bonded mount). New one comes with new stuff, you may need to teach it some new tricks again I guess.

I have had to take one of my axebeaks "behind the house by the shed" for something that hurt me more than it hurt him.

... that's one BIG turkey dinner...

4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
... that's one BIG turkey dinner...

I'm sure if you give it to Auntie Baltwin's orphanage that the Church of Abadar will let you deduct it off your taxes.

1/5

My ninja 8/monk 1 is going to retrain away combat trick. I have recently discovered the awesomeness of having any combat feat you need (that you qualify for) for the cost of 2 ki points using forgotten trick. Soon to be 1 ki point once I buy my ring of ki mastery.

Sovereign Court 5/5 RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Jack-of-Blades wrote:

I might be retraining my 14th level witch's patron from Elements to something else. Sure, having attack spells is cool and all, but... I pretty much never need them.

My 13th level magus/wizard might be swapping out an arcana, but that's it, if anything.

Beyond that, I'm actually pretty happy with all my characters' builds.

IF the Fate patron is legal, I'll retrain Ksenia's patron as well.

Fate domain

Spoiler:
New Patron
The norn Vigliv sparked Baba Yaga’s pursuit of magic and
ever since fate has been her patron. Witches hoping to
follow in Baba Yaga’s footsteps often select this patron.
Fate: 2nd—doom, 4th—anticipate perilUM, 6th—helping
hand, 8th—blessing of fervorAPG, 10th—greater forbid
actionUM, 12th—contingency, 14th—jolting portentUC, 16th—
maze, 18th—wish.

Since she's going from "Spoiled brat princess" to "Shellshocked orphan" taking the fate domain makes sense "No fate but what we make"

5/5 Venture-Agent, Canada—Ontario—Ottawa

Matthew Morris wrote:
Since she's going from "Spoiled brat princess" to "Shellshocked orphan" taking the fate domain makes sense "No fate but what we make"

Does that mean that you expect to have iron golems and clockwork creatures chasing after her, trying to kill her?

Grand Lodge 5/5 ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I still need to look at the costs and if it works - but if possible then my drunken brute will sober up.

He has spend now a lot of time in the society to become respectable.

Sovereign Court 5/5 RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Been there done that already kind of with her. :-)

Off topic with Ksenia.

Spoiler:
Basically my concept with her was that she's the great granddaughter of Elyvana, the current queen. I've had great fun talking about all the (evil) stuff that her mom and extended family have done, and playing her as a creepy witch who doesn't know all this stuff is abnormal (She's Chaotic Neutral).
In her backstory (what she doesn't know) is that her mom sent her south to Absalom to get her away from Irrisen when Baba Yaga returns. Ksenia just thinks she's doing the Jadwiga version of 'Backpacking across Europe'. Travel, learn some new tricks, go home, be a spoiled princess who beats peasants for fun. Typical Irrisen nobility.

So as we hit 4714 in the timeline, her mother, grandmother, entire extended family is gone. So she's going to have to swallow her pride, and be polite. Since I've had a year in the local group of her being, well, a witch, it should be fun to role play. I hope to have the occasional sparks of her current attitude, but a lot of reluctant, "Oh crap, I actually need to rely on these people."

The 'anti-hero to hero' trek has always facinated me.

In that context, changing to fate makes sense. Either because she's carving her own fate, or because she's decided that following in Baba Yaga's footsteps is the best way to kick the old crone's butt.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Florida—Melbourne

I am thinking about possibly retraining my Gunslinger/Paladin out of the Divine Hunter Archtype. It was fine back when I thought I would only ever want 2 levels of Paladin, but now that I have reached 9th level I am thinking I would rather add more levels of paladin instead of Gunslinger.

Silver Crusade 4/5

Feral wrote:


My highest level character, a druid, (14th) is going to retrain out of his animal companion and pick up a domain. I never used the companion much (either because it wasn't appropriate or because the table was already big and I didn't want to crowd out other players) while leveling him and I'll be glad to be rid of him for an actual useful class feature.

I've never played a druid before, and I'm currently considering making one. I was thinking that at low levels, the druid will be almost completely worthless, but the companion will be a good melee combatant. At higher levels, once the druid gets more and better spells, I might prefer to have the domain. So now I'm considering the possibility of intentionally going into it with the plan of having a companion early and retraining later for a domain some time around levels 5-7.

Grand Lodge 1/5

Before I spend $40 on a book, I'd like to ask how much do retrains cost.

I'd like to know if retraining to gain hp is possible?
How much does an hp cost?
How much do feats cost?
Can you just spend $gp or is it only limited to PP?

Silver Crusade 4/5

Ultimate Campaign is now in the PRD, and the latest Guide to Organized Play gives the prestige cost of how it works in Society play. So you can check it all out online for free before buying the book.

Besides the retraining rules, there are a bunch of traits in it, most of which are apparently going to be made legal for PFS soon, when Ultimate Campaign is added to the Additional Resources page, so that's another reason to consider buying it for PFS purposes.

Also, the book only costs $10 for the PDF. So look it over online and decide for yourself if you want to spend the cash on it.

Silver Crusade 1/5

Can you retrain abilities and spells known? If so I might make some minor changes on my inquisitor. Other than that, I'm happy with him and all of my other level 2+ characters.

5/5 *

Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Can you retrain abilities and spells known? If so I might make some minor changes on my inquisitor. Other than that, I'm happy with him and all of my other level 2+ characters.

Consult the PRD for available options. Spells Known is available.

4/5

Eric Saxon wrote:

Before I spend $40 on a book, I'd like to ask how much do retrains cost.

I'd like to know if retraining to gain hp is possible?
How much does an hp cost?
How much do feats cost?
Can you just spend $gp or is it only limited to PP?

Retraining rules can be found here.

Only difference for PFS is you also spend 1 PP per day of training.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Texas—Houston

My sorcerer has not gotten a lot of mileage out of Rime Spell, so I will probably retrain it for Varisian Tattoo.

Sovereign Court 5/5 RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Bugger,

Rereading the retraining rules, looks like switching patron is right out.


I'm pondering retraining my kitsune sorcerer to have the Magical Tail feats, but first I need to verify that the spell-like abilities will benefit from all of his bonuses to enchantment spell DCs.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

Matthew Morris wrote:

Bugger,

Rereading the retraining rules, looks like switching patron is right out.

Wouldn't it count as a Class Feature?

Sovereign Court 5/5 RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

thistledown wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:

Bugger,

Rereading the retraining rules, looks like switching patron is right out.

Wouldn't it count as a Class Feature?

No, unfortunately.

They list the retrainable features in the PRD. Wizards can change school, but Witches can't change patron.

Which (hah!) is a shame, because fate looked awesome.

Edit: So I'll make a witch with the fate domain, and specialize in all the probability altering hexes. "Winds of Destiny... CHANGE!"

Grand Lodge 2/5 RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

I used to have a druid whom I played to 3rd level and then shelved, and I have since misplaced him. If I ever find him again, I might look over him to see why I shelved him, and consider retraining.

Shadow Lodge

I'm looking at dropping the saboteur archetype from my alchemist 8/gunslinger 1 for 450gp/5PP, and changing my mutagen discovery to the cognatogen discovery for 450gp/5PP.

Effectively, I'd spend 900gp and 10PP to replace my chameleon mutagen with cognatogen.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

So, how does the administrative side of this work? I've got a character who's ready for re-training (swapping out some spells). Next time she gets used will be the 15th or later. I've got my nice chronicle from last night, and I want to retrain before I play another game with her. Slight complication, she also just got the xp to level.

So, do I put the retraining on this chronicle and have the next GM sign off on it before game on the 15th? It'd be a different GM, so that seems strange.

Do I somehow find a blank chronicle that a GM can sign on just that on the 15th?

At the start of next game, does the GM put the re-training on the next chronicle before game? If so, can I still be my old level as the new game hasn't started yet?

Or do I have to play another scenario (and in this case, level up) before a GM can sign off on it?

Honestly, the difference is level is only 20gp, so it's not really an issue. I just want to get my new spells before I use her again.

In the more general case, it sounds like a lot of people want to retrain before they use the character again. So there should be a way to do it before their next games. (But after the 14th.)

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

I wish we'd get an answer to the various ways people have proposed to get trait retraining into the guide. Treating them as feats makes the most sense to me, but some people have had cheaper proposals.

1/5

Monk/Shadowdancer - training in Quiggong archetype, and out with slow fall. Only because they came out after he was started...

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Florida—Melbourne

thistledown wrote:
I wish we'd get an answer to the various ways people have proposed to get trait retraining into the guide. Treating them as feats makes the most sense to me, but some people have had cheaper proposals.

I doubt this is going to happen. This would essentially be adding a rule to Pathfinder that does not exist in Pathfinder and has no more reason for being in the PFS rules than it does in the Pathfinder rules.

The Exchange 1/5

I will retrain some early feats (dodge). As an aside, it will be interesting if drawbacks are allowed to pick up another trait (I plan to use a feat to pick up Magical Knack but it would be nice to save it)

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/55/5 *** Venture-Lieutenant, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East

trollbill wrote:
thistledown wrote:
I wish we'd get an answer to the various ways people have proposed to get trait retraining into the guide. Treating them as feats makes the most sense to me, but some people have had cheaper proposals.
I doubt this is going to happen. This would essentially be adding a rule to Pathfinder that does not exist in Pathfinder and has no more reason for being in the PFS rules than it does in the Pathfinder rules.

A year ago they created a rule that allowed a complete re-write between levels 1 and 2. Adding to an existing rule is a much smaller change.

Shadow Lodge 4/5

Retraining, huh? Well, I briefly considered retraining my Bard|barian/Dragon Disciple's feats so that I could fit Improved Eldritch Heritage (Imperious) somewhere there. Then I shelved the idea because, while very fitting, she does not need to be be any more powerful.

Now I'm looking at cutting the corners from my Ekujae Inquisitor of Abadar. She has no need for that early career Fighter level anymore. 560 gp and 7 pp and poof it goes! Thank you campaign leadership.

I've actually been waiting for some kind of retraining possibility, such as a convention boon or a one-time Golarion Day benefit, because my oldest character, one of those organically built bastards from the 3.5 days, has been stuck with both Two-Weapon Fighting and favored enemy(or, as it is colloquially known, severe misanthropy) for far too long. Now he's going the way of the Wild Stalker!

The Exchange

Getting rid of toughness for improved spell focus or improved familiar.

Grand Lodge

Would it be legal to retrain to take a feat like Fey Foundling which has a "Must be level 1 to take this feat" requirement?

3/5 RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

I'm thinking of retraining out Spell Focus (enchantment) on my cleric for something else, but I'm not sure what.

I'm considering replacing it with Skill Focus (Knowledge (engineering)), picking up Eldritch Heritage (arcane) at level 9, and getting a bonded item, so I can cast any cleric spell ever, once per day. Not sure if the rules really work that way, though...

1 to 50 of 102 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / List your PFS Retrains here! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.