Bonus damage to Magic Missile


Rules Questions


So, the Elemental Spell Metamagic Feat from the Advanced Player's Guide allows me to change a spell's energy type. So I can make my Magic Missiles do cold damage by using them as a level 2 spell.

My favored class option as a Kobold Sorcerer simply says "Add +1/2 point of the chosen energy damage to spells that deal the chosen energy damage cast by the sorcerer." My chosen type is cold.

My question is, would the damage get added to each Magic Missile when I shoot more than one? I know the Wizard Intense Spells feature only adds to one missile, but the Kobold favored class option isn't nearly as specific. Is it intended to work the same way as the Wizard feature?

Also, with spells that do ongoing damage (such as Frost Fall) does the bonus damage get added each time the spell does damage?


Zetan wrote:

So, the Elemental Spell Metamagic Feat from the Advanced Player's Guide allows me to change a spell's energy type. So I can make my Magic Missiles do cold damage by using them as a level 2 spell.

My favored class option as a Kobold Sorcerer simply says "Add +1/2 point of the chosen energy damage to spells that deal the chosen energy damage cast by the sorcerer." My chosen type is cold.

My question is, would the damage get added to each Magic Missile when I shoot more than one? I know the Wizard Intense Spells feature only adds to one missile, but the Kobold favored class option isn't nearly as specific. Is it intended to work the same way as the Wizard feature?

Also, with spells that do ongoing damage (such as Frost Fall) does the bonus damage get added each time the spell does damage?

I don't think Force counts as one of the energy types you ca change out. I might be wrong, but I thought it was just fire, cold, elec, and acid.


Oh, and sonic.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Magic Missile does not do energy damage, it does force damage. As bigrig already mentioned, the only energy types are fire, cold, electricity, acid, and sonic.


All the Elemental Spell feat says is:

"Choose one energy type: acid, cold, electricity, or fire. You may replace a spell's normal damage with that energy type or split the spell's damage, so that half is of that energy type and half is of its normal type. An elemental spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level."

It doesn't say that the spell has to do energy damage to begin with, it just replaces the normal damage. Should work on any damage type.


So to actually answer the question...

It will be once per spell not per missile. You may choose which missile the extra damage will be applied to.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
BigDTBone wrote:

So to actually answer the question...

It will be once per spell not per missile. You may choose which missile the extra damage will be applied to.

To expand BigDTBone reply, the Kobold sorcerer ability say:

PRD wrote:


Sorcerer: Choose acid, cold, electricity, or fire damage. Add +1/2 point of the chosen energy damage to spells that deal the chosen energy damage cast by the sorcerer.

You add the bonus damage to the spell, not to each attack made with the spell, so you add it once.

If it is a fireball you roll your damage once and add the bonus once, then apply the modified damage to all people hit by the fireball.
If it is a scorching ray with multiple rays you roll the damage of each ray and then add the bonus damage once, to one of the rays.

I would allow you to split the bonus damage between multiple rays but you would still apply it only once.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Oh, you were talking about the feat. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Elemental sorcerer ability to swap out energy types.


Great, thank you! That answers all but one of my questions. With spells that do ongoing damage (such as Frost Fall) does the bonus damage get added each time the spell does damage? I assume from your previous answer that it only adds to the initial damage, but I had a friend tell me that it was a different situation because it was happening in a different round.

Sczarni

Isn't Force an energy?

I ask this question as logic, not rule-based


Malakav wrote:

Isn't Force an energy?

I ask this question as logic, not rule-based

I would see it as something close to kinetic energy and as such, yes.

Pathfinder generally refers to energy as the four main types though. :I

Electricity,Acid,Fire,Cold... Sonic?
With your powers combined, I am Captain... Force? Hmm... need to rethink this....


Malakav, Force seems to be a bypasses most, stopped by few sort of thing. So I guess I'd view it as a morphic "smart weapon". Like minute sliver of a wall of force penetrating then detonating or ricocheting inside the victim depending on what works better. If it can't get in or target is hollow, it spins around and buzz saws the target or some other such antics.


Malakav wrote:

Isn't Force an energy?

I ask this question as logic, not rule-based

Don't be silly. Force is energy divided by distance.

Kidding aside, it might be energy in a conventional sense, but it's not an Elemental Energy in game terms. The Elemental bit is the key.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

That's actually a neat trick.

Get some feats/class abilities that boost a certain energy type (anything but fire, given how common fire resistance is), then either use a metamagic rod, or get the trait that lets you reduce the level cost for one spell when adding metamagic, and pick magic missile.

Now turn your magic missile to cold (or whatever), use all your elemental boosts on it, and do automatic damage (no to hit roll) and boost the damage.

EDIT : Hmm, doesn't appear to be any way in PF to boost elemental damage though. Oh well. Good thought.


Such as a Crossblooded(Draconic/Primal) Sorcerer? :)


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
Azten wrote:
Such as a Crossblooded(Draconic/Primal) Sorcerer? :)

Ah, yep, that'd do a +2 to each Magic Missile (+1 per die rolled for the spell). So 1d4+3 Element damage. Not bad.

Ifrit, Oread, Sylphs, and Undines would get their power bonuses as well.


Add Orc sorc favored bonus to this list as well

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Bonus damage to Magic Missile All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.