The Waking Rune: GM Prep [MANY SPOILERS]


GM Discussion

151 to 200 of 431 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

James McTeague wrote:
7. You have it right. A magus delivering a spell with his weapons is just casting the spell slightly differently. It's still targeting Krune, so it'll still get turned back.

Actually, this may not be correct.

Spell turning cannot reflect touch spells, and the only spells a magus can use with spellstrike are touch spells.

I believe there are archetypes that change this, however.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Kristen Gipson wrote:
David_Bross wrote:
Kristen Gipson wrote:


Questions

3. It says in text anyone attempting to manipulate, etc, them, takes the curse.

So is casting a spell, such as entangle on the Rune of Alacrity considered manipulating the rune, therefore causing the caster to be cursed?

They only get cursed (provided they fail the save) if they unsuccessfully manipulate the rune.

And speaking of breaking the runes, for the Rune of Life, it says ability damage can break it. Can it be poisoned? Ninjas and Alchemists can use poisons, and there are a few that deal 1d3 points of damage, and last for 6 rounds. Does it get afflicted by the full duration, and you essentially get 6 chances of rolling a full roll to break it?

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Kristen Gipson wrote:
David_Bross wrote:
Kristen Gipson wrote:


Questions

3. It says in text anyone attempting to manipulate, etc, them, takes the curse.

So is casting a spell, such as entangle on the Rune of Alacrity considered manipulating the rune, therefore causing the caster to be cursed?

Unless the spell turns the Rune off, yes, they would be cursed.

Scarab Sages

Lormyr wrote:
James McTeague wrote:
7. You have it right. A magus delivering a spell with his weapons is just casting the spell slightly differently. It's still targeting Krune, so it'll still get turned back.

Actually, this may not be correct.

Spell turning cannot reflect touch spells, and the only spells a magus can use with spellstrike are touch spells.

I believe there are archetypes that change this, however.

Spell turning states that it fails to turn range touch spells. So melee touch attack spells (shocking grasp) should be turned. I just wasn't sure how the weapon damage worked with it and if there was a crit how damage is dealt.

Lantern Lodge

Kristen Gipson wrote:
Lormyr wrote:
James McTeague wrote:
7. You have it right. A magus delivering a spell with his weapons is just casting the spell slightly differently. It's still targeting Krune, so it'll still get turned back.

Actually, this may not be correct.

Spell turning cannot reflect touch spells, and the only spells a magus can use with spellstrike are touch spells.

I believe there are archetypes that change this, however.

Spell turning states that it fails to turn range touch spells. So melee touch attack spells (shocking grasp) should be turned. I just wasn't sure how the weapon damage worked with it and if there was a crit how damage is dealt.

The wording is a little tricky. It says: "Spell turning also fails to stop touch range spells."

My reading of that is stops spells which bear a range of "touch".

Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Southwest

Spell turning also requires an action to use. It will most likely be a waste of Krune's action economy to do so.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Southwest

Pease also be aware that since his bonded item is the dragon tooth spear that he can only cast without making concentration checks when it is in his square.

4/5

Yes, but he can only fail that concentration check on a level 9 spell by rolling a one. Anything lower its going to succeed. Spell turning should only become an issue if Krune gets scared and goes to another part of his sanctum. Keep in mind other things he can do there include (recovering a spell up to 8th level via PoP), and other buffs he has. Give Krune a few rounds and he'll be fully buffed with an army.

TL;DR, kill him before he becomes unstoppable.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I just played this this afternoon and, in the wake of a bunch of other things that have gone on, have me close to deciding that I no longer wish to participate in PFS. My objections to this scenario are twofold:

1) If your table doesn't have anyone who has played one of the four lead-in scenarios with the same PC that is playing Waking Rune and who was willing to commit what was explicitly described as an evil action to get one of the boons this adventure becomes significantly tougher. Our party of six had exactly one PC who had played any of the previous scenarios (two of us had played them with PCs that have since leveled out of Society play): a lawful good monk who, quite properly in my view, refused to take any of the objects. No good character should have.

I've been angry about this ever since I played "Refuge of Time" and my paladin turned down a free feat because of how it was presented. When it was explained to me that I could have taken it and just gotten an <i>atonement</i> and kept the feat struck me as PFS flat out telling its players that they should abuse the alignment rules because proper roleplaying was not going to be rewarded. I kept hearing that there would be some sort of negative consequences for those who took the boons but to date no scenario I have played has provided any.

So when I found out that having one of those items would have made our path easier above and beyond having the boon it put me in a mood to react poorly to,

2) This was the second time in a month where the only way for my character not to have died was to have not played the scenario at all. I've had character deaths before and under normal circumstances I don't have a problem with it. I don't have a problem with scenarios that are hard. I have a huge problem with scenarios that just don't give me a chance.

When Krune popped out of his sarcophagus two of us had readied actions to cast a spell. I cast <i>haste</i> and the cleric cast <i>prayer</i>. The very next thing that happened was Krune casting a maximized, empowered Horrid Wilting. (I'm not sure how he could cast it since we had disabled enough runes such that his caster level was down to 13, which doesn't seem to be high enough to cast an 8th level spell; I'll just assume that there was some sort of rules dodge that allowed this.)

We were playing Tier 7-8. Half of the party would have had to roll a natural 20 to make the Fortitude save on the spell. For a couple of us, even making the save would have left us below negative Con and thus dead. All from an encounter we couldn't avoid, couldn't run from (we couldn't see the refuge tokens because of the sleetstorm) and never had a chance to react to.

This sort of thing seems to be an increasing trend in PFS scenarios and I have no interest in either playing them or running them. So I'm seriously considering just dropping the whole thing and finding other ways to spend my time.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Maps Subscriber

So, your mood was brought down by a door.

Then it was brought down because you can't avoid fighting the guy you are sent to fight.

I think you were either not playing tier 7-8, only disabled 5 runes, or had some serious GM errors. Were you APL 9 with 6 players?

That said.... even at 7-8 I expect to hear a LOT of corpse calls coming back from this adventure.

Scarab Sages

Horrid Wilting can only be removed from his spell list if the team disables 6 out of 7 runes that he has. The Artifact Metamagic Rod that he has can combine multiple metamagic feats in a single spell. And yes, Maximized Empowered can be casted with that. I agree that the CR of the final encounter is lame to a team of 7-8, but I believe it is in the Author's intention that a team would be able to sufficiently disable enough spells to bring his encounter difficulty to standard "boss battle" terms.

As for turn 1 kills, I have experienced it early on in Severed Ties. It sucks really bad, but sometimes it is part of the game, like trying to find a way to jump the chasm with heavy armor at low levels, or surviving a slew of Color Spray. Some things do not work out. But then again, you are entering Krune-Territory. Krune does not like it when random people wake him up from his nap-nap time...


TetsujinOni wrote:
So, your mood was brought down by a door.

I suggest reading more carefully.

Quote:
Then it was brought down because you can't avoid fighting the guy you are sent to fight.

See previous suggestion.

Quote:
I think you were either not playing tier 7-8, only disabled 5 runes, or had some serious GM errors. Were you APL 9 with 6 players?

No, we had 2 7s, 2 8s and 2 9s. We only disabled four runes because, as far as we could tell after a lot of trying, we literally had nothing that could disable the Life runes. Maybe there was something else but, in our party, we had no way to deliver more than 6 points of negative energy damage in one round and no one had any spells with the [Death] descriptor. We burned a couple of significant necromantic spells on them but they couldn't do the job. We only rolled high enough to get the full description of how to deactivate the runes on Alacrity and Defense. We figured out a way to deactivate Armor and Control just from the hint.

There are going to be party mixes that are simply incapable of bringing of bringing down all of the runes. Our table was a 9th level monk who specializes in fighting defensively, a 9th level cleric who is a healbot with almost no offensive capability, an 8th level sorceror that has some nice damage spells and is tricked out with Aqueous Orb, an 8th level fighter who has some nifty abilities but is played by a 12-year old and so has very limited tactical ability, a 7th level evoker, and a summoner6/cleric1 who mostly does buff spells.

So if success at Subtier 7-8 depends upon bringing down all of the runes there are going to be parties that are incapable of succeeding from the word go. That's not good adventure writing.


Cao Phen wrote:
Horrid Wilting can only be removed from his spell list if the team disables 6 out of 7 runes that he has. The Artifact Metamagic Rod that he has can combine multiple metamagic feats in a single spell. And yes, Maximized Empowered can be casted with that. I agree that the CR of the final encounter is lame to a team of 7-8, but I believe it is in the Author's intention that a team would be able to sufficiently disable enough spells to bring his encounter difficulty to standard "boss battle" terms.

As I said above, there doesn't seem to have been any way for our party to disable the Life runes. Maybe there was some way to do it that wasn't apparent from the clue and that the GM forgot to tell us about when we wrapped up, but from the knowledge I have, we disabled every rune that it was possible for us to dismantle.

And I recognize that the metamagic feats were put on by Krune's artifact. My question isn't how he was able to cast spells that, with metamagic feats, go above 9th level (although I don't think that anyone should be doing that at subtier 7-8). My implied question was how someone who is caster level 13 can cast Horrid Wilting at all. It's an 8th level spell before you put any metamagic on it. Shouldn't he have to be caster level 15 to be able to cast that?

Quote:
As for turn 1 kills, I have experienced it early on in Severed Ties. It sucks really bad, but sometimes it is part of the game, like trying to find a way to jump the chasm with heavy armor at low levels, or surviving a slew of Color Spray. Some things do not work out. But then again, you are entering Krune-Territory. Krune does not like it when random people wake him up from his nap-nap time...

Maybe this is just a difference in tastes but as far as I am concerned, Turn 1 kills should only happen either if the party does something really dumb or if there is a silly run of dice luck. An adventure should never be written in such a way that Turn 1 deaths happen automatically. Maybe you disagree. Maybe the general run of PFS player likes an environment in which their characters die without having any ability to alter that outcome.

I don't. To me, that is just a way to kill the enjoyment. If that's the direction PFS wants to go, then it can go there without me.

Scarab Sages

The issue goes back to if you have optimization in a character/party. I had said this in a different thread:

"In the terms of The Waking Rune, you were basically placed into an equivalent of the Last Boss of Last Bosses. You can sort of see the position that Paizo had when they had to do something to make the experience memorable (for good or bad, I guess). What would happen if Krune, the Runelord of Sloth a.k.a Biggest Baddie for his Sin, was a cakewalk for Pathfinders? There would be people here complaining how much of an upset the climax was for the season."

In this thread, I had DM'ed a group that had played it out well, others have had horrendous encounters. Out of scenario prep and inside scenario prep seems to have been subletly emphasized. Clerics can choose to leave slots open to place in a spell midgame, arcane casters can purchace scrolls. I understand that this seems like a cheap shot to players who think they are prepared, which is why this scenario was player reviewed are skewed to 5-star "challenging to play" to 1-star "save-or-die spam".

This and maybe Bonekeep are the scenarios that seem to put players on edge because of the difficulty spikes. Bonekeep had the decency of informing players that it is meant to kill players. This, on the otherhand, only assumes that players know that Krune is the Big Boss Man.

5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

If your gm opened up with horrid wilting then he was not following krunes stated tactics.


Cao Phen wrote:
Out of scenario prep and inside scenario prep seems to have been subletly emphasized. Clerics can choose to leave slots open to place in a spell midgame, arcane casters can purchace scrolls. I understand that this seems like a cheap shot to players who think they are prepared, which is why this scenario was player reviewed are skewed to 5-star "challenging to play" to 1-star "save-or-die spam".

If the key is taking out all of the runes, the requirements are too specific to expect people to adequately prepare for it. It never would have occurred to me to buy scrolls of spells with the [Death] descriptor. And it definitely would never have occurred to me to leave spell slots open. Given the briefing we got the reasonable assumption was that we would be under heavy pressure from the moment we stepped into his sanctum. Unfilled spell slots are slots that would never be available to use.

I have no idea what sort of preparation we could have made that would have left us ready to withstand a Maximized Empowered Horrid Wilting.

Quote:
This and maybe Bonekeep are the scenarios that seem to put players on edge because of the difficulty spikes. Bonekeep had the decency of informing players that it is meant to kill players. This, on the otherhand, only assumes that players know that Krune is the Big Boss Man.

It was Kortos Envoy that did this to me a few weeks ago.


andreww wrote:
If your gm opened up with horrid wilting then he was not following krunes stated tactics.

I'm not sure how leaving it in his back pocket really helps us out. Whenever he does pull it out it means instant death to a party of 7th and 8th level characters. Literally the only party members not dropped below negative Con in one shot were the two that Krune couldn't see. So if he summons things into that chamber and then teleports out the only real change is that there won't be a sleetstorm around when he does use it and so it's all over right there.

I just don't think you should ever have a bad guy with an implicit caster level of 25 (8th level spell + 5 levels of metamagic feats on it) in a subtier 7-8 adventure. That isn't making an adventure exciting and challenging. That's just giving your players the finger. The bit about having built him up and so they had to deliver is crap. Aside from that being a dilemma of their own making, the previous season ending scenarios all had big build ups and none of them were like this. So how were players supposed to figure out, "No, this time we really mean it!"

What's Krune's CR anyway?

Dark Archive

Krunes unmodified CR is 18 as a 17th level caster with 25 point buy, and high wealth.

Effectively what is supposed to happen is Krune is supposed to open with several disables, and then 10-12 rounds later (about 2-3 hours) horrid wilting (by which time he will have already used all or most of the charges on the metamagic rod on his other spells preventing the Maximised Empowers stupidity)

His caster level is just 17, and any GM running this at the low tier should mention that the chances are your party will wipe at some stage (as unless you remove every single rune he will pretty much tank you long enough to wear you down and kill the others).

When I ran the Scenario:

When I ran this the PC's fought Krune and his summons for nearly 7hrs before finally defeating him (after multiple dispell magics supressed his FoM for 4 rounds allowing the grappling PC to do significant damage). I used a Maximised Horrid Wilting once Krune was down to 1hp (as he felt he needed to pull out his big guns at this stage), which finished off 2 low HP PCs and left the cleric on single digit hp, to which the remaining PC's as a free action told the cleric to Breath of Life one of the dead people to which krunes spear stabbed the cleric twice (the first knocking her down and the second killing her outright to prevent the others getting back up).

Liberty's Edge 5/5

I'm pretty sure at 7-8, normal mode, he doesn't have any 8th level spells. The only way for him to get one is with his 8th level pearl of power. His loss of spells doesn't really have a lot to do with the removal of the runes.

And the way this matters if he keeps it in his back pocket, is it gives the PCs the chance to actually kill him first.

And Horrid Wilting can only target PCs within 30 feet of eachother. So if they are sufficiently spread out, he will only kill the PCs who are within that range, leaving other PCs to still kill him.

At my 7-8 sub-optimal party of 5, who basically had the same luck that your party had with the runes, that I GM'd at Gen Con, came within 9 hit points of killing Krune before the TPK. If the fighter at the end had decided to full attack, instead of attack and flee, He very likely would have killed Krune. And I used Horrid Wilting about 40 Hit Points from death for Krune. The PCs were spaced in such a way that I could only hit 3 out of 5 of them with Horrid Wilting. The Fighter had enough hit points (the only 9th level out of them) to still be standing. I killed the other two.

I understand your frustration, but in this situation I think it had more to do with a GM not following the listed tactics than the way the scenario was written.

4/5

Andrew, the loss of spells is only through rune deactivation. Furthermore you are forgetting his bonded object in terms of pick a spell to cast, any he has. Also no two can be more than 60 feet apart, which means if he can see both PCs (in his lair) and you're not on opposite sides of him, he can probably hit you.

If you fight Krune in 7-8 and don't deactivate a single rune, you're in for the "full" experience.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

You are correct. I went back and looked. He doesn't lose horrid wilting on his spell list until 5 to 6 runes are deactivated.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that GM's should never lead off with horrid wilting as the listed tactics say he starts with defensive, summon and buff spells for several rounds.

4/5

Completely correct, that is ignoring his tactics. In fact his opening salvo is practically written in tactics as cloudkill or wall of stone (I like both, widened for the wall to trap PCs in the room and maximized/empowered/widened for the cloudkill).

Liberty's Edge 5/5

And while Krune is not affected by his own cloudkill I don't believe he can see through it. So as such, he wouldn't be able to target PCs he cannot see with horrid wilting.

This is a very, very primary example of why GM's are told to run as written. Because choosing to bypass the tactics creates a situation where you TPK a party that otherwise might have stood a chance.

Venture-Agent, Canada—Ontario—Ottawa aka Mistwalker

I may have missed it, but where and how can Krune scry on the PCs? I don't see it in his spell list, nor have I seen an item/area that would allow it to happen.

So how was Krune scrying and communication with the summoned earth elementals? Or was this more GM modifying the adventure?

Shadow Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Southwest

you can always switch up he tactics if the listed tactics no long make sense.

if Krune's is being attacked he would not summon. most likely he would leave the area and then see if he can return to the tactics.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Eric Brittain wrote:

you can always switch up he tactics if the listed tactics no long make sense.

if Krune's is being attacked he would not summon. most likely he would leave the area and then see if he can return to the tactics.

Very true.

But summoning doesn't have to be an opening tactic. It says defensive spells and buffs too. The Quickened Wall of Stone is a nice one to start with (or just Wall of Stone). Then dimensional step away so when the PCs inevitably teleport or dimension door inside, he isn't there. Meanwhile he's summoning something where they don't know where he is.

Opening salvo should not be horrid wilting unless he is under extreme duress immediately and about to die before his first spell can be cast.

4/5

Shouldn't be horrid wilting then as tactics say to tp (using one of many abilities) to get away.

Dark Archive 5/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, United Kingdom—England—Coventry aka terry_t_uk

Quick question - the spear - do I use Krune's intelligence for the saves against slow etc as well as CMB checks for telekinesis ?
Is the spear's CL also decreased as a result of runes being disabled ?
Thanks

Shadow Lodge

Does anybody have a list of the scenarios where the Dragon tooth longspear and the runed rod are from? I assumed they are from the season 4 special, but they are not.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Part 2 of the Gencon special which was only run once at Gen Con Last year

Dark Archive

Near as I can tell, krune has 2 ways to "scry" on the party.

First is his runesight. Krune is aware of the location of any pc bearing one of the rune items from previous adventures (the ioun stone, the brands, I think even eating the soul wafers counts) a@d I think he can see them as well, though I don't have my copy to check atm.

The second way is a little wierder, but I think is justified. Krune's spear communicates via telepathy. It can feasably communicate with any summons he has and have them relay information back to him.

Venture-Agent, Canada—Ontario—Ottawa aka Mistwalker

Aaron Mayhew wrote:

Near as I can tell, krune has 2 ways to "scry" on the party.

First is his runesight. Krune is aware of the location of any pc bearing one of the rune items from previous adventures (the ioun stone, the brands, I think even eating the soul wafers counts) a@d I think he can see them as well, though I don't have my copy to check atm.

The second way is a little wierder, but I think is justified. Krune's spear communicates via telepathy. It can feasably communicate with any summons he has and have them relay information back to him.

I don't think that his Runesight would work through walls. It says that it is like blindsense, and I for one do not allow blindsense work through physical barriers like walls (line of effect).

For telepathy in an intelligent item to work, you have to be touching the item - so while it is flying around it cannot telepathically communicate with Krune, nor can it use it's telepathy to obtain information from the earth elementals in the other room (if it is earth elementals that are summoned).

And even if he re-enters the room, the earth elementals wouldn't be able to tell him about player plans due to only speaking terran - so they wouldn't be able to understand the PCs.

Dark Archive

Mistwalker wrote:
Aaron Mayhew wrote:

Near as I can tell, krune has 2 ways to "scry" on the party.

First is his runesight. Krune is aware of the location of any pc bearing one of the rune items from previous adventures (the ioun stone, the brands, I think even eating the soul wafers counts) a@d I think he can see them as well, though I don't have my copy to check atm.

The second way is a little wierder, but I think is justified. Krune's spear communicates via telepathy. It can feasably communicate with any summons he has and have them relay information back to him.

I don't think that his Runesight would work through walls. It says that it is like blindsense, and I for one do not allow blindsense work through physical barriers like walls (line of effect).

For telepathy in an intelligent item to work, you have to be touching the item - so while it is flying around it cannot telepathically communicate with Krune, nor can it use it's telepathy to obtain information from the earth elementals in the other room (if it is earth elementals that are summoned).

And even if he re-enters the room, the earth elementals wouldn't be able to tell him about player plans due to only speaking terran - so they wouldn't be able to understand the PCs.

I think you mean to be posting this in the other Waking Rune thread. Regardless though, it appears you're right. I'm so glad these threads exist. I'm learning so much about rules/this module that I would have overlooked or just plain played wrong, otherwise.


Running it tomorrow. I still have no idea how Thrune's to be scaled for 4PCs, so I'm going to simply disable his artifacts, considering they're in dormancy for some reason, giving him the spear as a plain magical spear.

Also, I'm not convinced by some GMs' use of plane shift as an offensive spell. I know it's legit (though I'm really not sure it was originally planed to be used that way in 3.5), but I question whether the creature would use it, knowing it has to support Thrune and Lissala in the future (not to mention being offensively plane-shifted itself). That's the same issue there is with the limited wish(es): it was specifically told to keep them to assist Thrune, so... that would be a last-ditch spell.

Dark Archive 5/5

FlorianF wrote:

Running it tomorrow. I still have no idea how Thrune's to be scaled for 4PCs, so I'm going to simply disable his artifacts, considering they're in dormancy for some reason, giving him the spear as a plain magical spear.

The big box at top of page 14 informs you of how to scale the innermost sanctum encounter (Krune)for 4 players along with the challenge mode.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Also, if you go to the GM Shared Prep google drive folder there is a nice file that helps with Krune and the breakdowns of how breaking the runes de-power him.

I would not disable his artifacts as those are a chief component of his threat level. His metamagic rod is a prime difference in some things. Even if you don't want to use them on the horrid wilting (as many do), maximizing a Summon Monster to get 3 of the lesser monsters is a good use for it. Or using the Silent Spell ability when the party drops a silence on his coffin.

The spear is useful for bullrushing party members back into Cloudkills/Black Tentacles or separating them so that the Wall of Stone can go up. Also dispelling their haste with his slow.

I had spent a lot of time preparing the scenario for play and had all kinds of nasty surprises ready for the party when they got to Krune. They didn't make it that far though, as the scaling down to 4 person in general does not work very well.

On the flip side, when I PLAYED The Waking Rune, it was a cake walk due in part to an underprepared GM which resulted in softball encounters. I was a bit upset because I was looking forward to a challenging scenario.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Try SM VII for a bone devil. When I ran Waking Rune this Saturday, Krune did this to have the bone devil invisibly follow the PCs around, blocking them with walls of ice, confounding them with major images of Krune, and most importantly sending Krune updates via telepathy. The walls of ice buy Krune time to buff and summon without having to spend standards to dimensional step around, plus will do some damage to wear away PC hp when they do get through.

Krune is INT 31, beyond super genius level. He is too smart to be overconfident. With arcane sight, he is going to know exactly what buffs the PCs have up and should adjust tactics accordingly. For instance, my Krune knew the PCs were using life bubble so didn't waste time with cloudkill. He should never allow PCs to get into melee with him as long as he can dimensional step away. The sanctum is a big area--if the PCs stay together and corner him in one area, he should dimensional step away to somewhere they aren't. If they split up to figure out where he went, he can deal with them one at a time.

Krune is a super frustrating guy to fight because of his teleportation abilities. The PCs should eventually get wise to this and try dimensional anchor or phase locking weapons to pin him down. His contingency should deal with the first dimensional anchor; he has a quickened dispel magic he can throw to get rid of a second. A third will most likely stick.

Even when his back's against the wall, Krune is highly dangerous. The spear can stack slow once haste is gone to debuff the party. It can also hurl melee attackers away using telekinesis to prevent them from getting full attacks. Since it is an intelligent item, it can activate its own dancing property to attack, so Krune doesn't have to spend one of his own standard actions to do so. The "big guns," the maximized empowered horrid wilting, should be devastating once the PCs are worn down. If he's still not dimensional anchored, he can dimension step away, recall horrid wilting using his pearl of power, and hit them with it again.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northwest aka WalterGM

Charlie Bell wrote:
If he's still not dimensional anchored, he can dimension step away, recall horrid wilting using his pearl of power, and hit them with it again.

He also has an arcane bond, does he not?

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

He sure does. He can totally triple whammy that one, although he only has enough rod of runes mojo to maximize/empower it twice.

5/5

You can empower horrid wilting three times, plus still widen a cloudkill or black tentacles and have one charge leftover for whatever. I think maximized, widened cloudkill on top of a widened black tentacles is particularly nasty myself. x4 movement, possible grappling, and con damage every round. Wall them in and it's game over.

5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

Every time I've run this I've had to use about half my charges on silent spell, as the PCs were good about keeping silence on him.

Dark Archive

Dredging this up one more time for a quick question. Can you use summon monster spells to summon elementals from other bestiaries, or just the ones from Bestiary 1?

5/5

Just the stuff on the summon monster list.

Dark Archive

Right, but the summon monster list just says "Elemental" and then gives the age category of the elemental you can summon. It doesn't seem to specify Earth/Air/Fire/Water.

Silver Crusade

Elder Earth Elementals...accept no substitute. Awesome blow, knocking people through multiple AOOs? Or full attack, with power attack...yeah, its terrifying. Casters are in for a bad day, if Krune tells one of them to ready an attack if someone casts.

I *wrecked* the party that played this at Pacificon. Krune got a nat 20 on initiative....and it pretty much went downhill. Wall of stone, cloudkill, and move action to step outside the room. A few rounds later, the elemental hordes began flooding on in...

Dark Archive

Heh. I was looking at the Magma elementals from Bestiary 2. They seem to be pretty much Earth Elementals that also put you on fire, but... I'll leave them out until I get something official ruled on this. I GUESS.

Sovereign Court 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm running Waking Rune on Saturday (go VTT Gameday!) and one of the players has a Sihedron Medallion.

Spoiler for Rise of the Runelords:
Could I have Krune use the Sihedron Medallion like Karzoug does and have him speak through the PCs mouths?

5/5

James McTeague wrote:

I'm running Waking Rune on Saturday (go VTT Gameday!) and one of the players has a Sihedron Medallion.

** spoiler omitted **

You totally should have! How did it go?

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

Depends on if he got the chance after waking up. :)

Sovereign Court 5/5

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Meh - I kinda forgot about it in the chaos. I Krune Dim Stepped into the room, saw the PCs and quickened dimension door'd into the entry chamber. By the time they got back to him, he had 10 summoned creatures, surrounded a bunch of people with the last summon, and dim stepped back into the waking chamber to stop the people who were running back. The run was 7 hours long, and we were all tired by that point.

(On a side note, not using limited wish to turn into an anti-magic field again. That fight took forever.)

I'm convinced the real secret to winning this is multiple dimension doors on the PCs side. Krune has a lot of teleportation, and the best answer is either a dimensional lock or a lot of teleportation of your own.

151 to 200 of 431 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / The Waking Rune: GM Prep [MANY SPOILERS] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.