[Community Project] Wayfinder #10 Call for Submissions


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion

201 to 250 of 597 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Revenantdog wrote:
Quick question from a first time submitter- Do we get any confirmation on whether or not any of the submissions we sent in get used before the publication comes out or do we find out when the book is released? Thank you much!

We try and let people know if their submission has been selected as an article. But, sometimes we don't have the time to get on that as fast as we'd like to. Many times the assigned editor will make contact, and that will be the sign for you.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Cheapy wrote:

Hey Tim,

I'd like to see some of those new fangled Roles that the Player Companion line has been testing lately. What do you think? An article on feats., classes, options, traits, etc for how to make a character from the region?

Could even be a recurring article.

Having not seen much from the Player Companion line, I can't comment on it. However, I do like the idea of a "So you want to play a character from...." article series. That would fall under an "Advice" article type.

I do worry that it might be doing something that Paizo does pretty well already. That's not necessarily coming up with a new idea, but instead just compiling info within a regional category.


Question on the word count. Does the word count for Bestiary articles include both the statblock and the description?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Short article on genie bloodline traits sent. Unlike Set I had real trouble writing this time around, plenty of ideas but none that made it past the first paragraph!

Dark Archive

Odraude, I believe so, at least thats how I always do the word count on the monsters

Scarab Sages

Odraude wrote:
Question on the word count. Does the word count for Bestiary articles include both the statblock and the description?

I always counted both.

For a bestiary entry, that word count actually
takes up more space than normal,
since many of the words don't
stretch across
the
whole page.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Odraude wrote:
Question on the word count. Does the word count for Bestiary articles include both the statblock and the description?

Bestiary entries are sort of special. To answer your question though, YES, word count is everything...stat block and descriptive text.

However, many monsters don't trip the 750 word count. I've seen lots of submissions that give me creatures at 350-600 words. Now, it's typically three creatures for a 1500 word count...or two creatures in a 750 word submission. And those are OK to send to us.

So, we are a bit less fanatic about the hard word targets for monsters than we are on single articles, since the bestiary is really a 10-12 page article. However, I would say that your bestiary entry should not EXCEED the 750-word count for an individual creature.

Also, one creature hitting a 1500-word count better be pretty special. That's usually limited to a creature with variants or a template, and is almost a separate article unto itself. I don't take a lot of those...maybe 1 per issue, if thematically strong.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

ALSO, SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS A MERE 11 DAYS AWAY.

All submissions are due September 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Don't sit on your draft too much longer. Get it done, and get it IN!

GO GO GO!

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have completed my submission and it is now in approval queue. I hope so anyway.

*crosses fingers* This was a lot of fun to write. I hope it gets in.


Argh! I have a slew of other stuff in various degrees of completion, but I only managed to polish off a single archetype for submission.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Just sent in my first Wayfinder submission, an archetype. Fingers crossed now, I guess. : )

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Finished and sent my submission, A gazetteer on Yanimere Island. My first rpg related article, it was surprisingly fun to write. Looking forward to reading everyone's articles and ideas about Qadira and Katapesh! =)


How many pieces are in now, Tim? I think that with all Set's stuff, you must not worry this time...

Dark Archive

Bardess wrote:
How many pieces are in now, Tim? I think that with all Set's stuff, you must not worry this time...

Heh. As he stated upthread, I'll be pushing it if I get two or three articles in (I think three was my record from a previous Wayfinder). I flooded the thread with ideas that others could use, rather then developing them myself, for that very reason.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Bardess wrote:
How many pieces are in now, Tim? I think that with all Set's stuff, you must not worry this time...

I have 46 submissions in my folder now...but, yes, admittedly 16 of those are from Set. Overachiever. ;-)

For perspective, each issue draws from about 45 submissions. Our last few issues started with a pool of 70-90 submissions total. And while that is a somewhat daunting task to read through ALL the submissions, but only select half of them, it does give us a lot of options, and generally makes for a very diverse, but solid, issue.

So, for MY preferences, I would like to get roughly TWICE the submissions that I have article needs for.

The breakdown, thus far:

Bestiary - 8 creatures (two are pretty much the same creature though).
NEED: MORE monsters.

Class Articles - 12. This includes prestige classes, archetypes, talents, bloodlines, domains/subdomains, etc.
NEED: Have lots of variety...but only one prestige class. LOTS of archetypes. Set contributed a lot to this area, so I'd LIKE to see more people step up for this type of article.

Crunch/Rules - 7. These are spells, feats, animal companions, etc. Rules stuff.
NEED: Again, Set contributed a lot to this area, so I'd LIKE to see more people step up for this type of article. Plus...No magic items??
NEED MORE.

Fiction - 6. We are good on Fiction, with the PF Chroniclers providing us a good source.
NEED: We're good.

Fluff/Flavor - 5. people and places. 3 Gazetteers, an organization, and a place.
NEED: some more submissions!!

SideTrek Seeds - 3.
NEED: A good pool, but could use more, for a broader selection.

Weal or Woe - 4.
NEED: A good offering, but always looking for a broader selection.

Adventures: Have 1 in, and 1-2 in development.
NEED: We're good.


I will send a few monster entries later in the week (until something big and mean eats me or anything).

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

1 person marked this as a favorite.

And Set...sorry if I'm calling you out. If anything, I'm probably attempting to shame everyone into submitting an article. HA!

But, hey, I'm truly impressed. You are outdoing ulgulanoth this issue! ;-)

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

I'll see if I can't toss together a few magic items; I feel like that's possibly my strength at a designer (hey, practicing for Superstar for like two years straight has to get you somewhere) so I should be able to throw a few together.

Am I correct that because it's a compilation, it doesn't necessarily need to be 750 exactly (even if so, I can probably do three of them with a 250-word average).

Dark Archive

Hmm. Well, I'll still submit the story that I talked to you about, Tim. I've been working on it, trying to get it perfect, so...yeah >_>

Dark Archive

Timitius wrote:
And Set...sorry if I'm calling you out. If anything, I'm probably attempting to shame everyone into submitting an article. HA!

No worries. This theme just hit the creative button in my brain and I went a bit nuts. (I could have written articles for the dozen or so random idea seeds I dropped for others, as well, if I didn't deliberately restrain myself.)

Quote:
But, hey, I'm truly impressed. You are outdoing ulgulanoth this issue! ;-)

You hear that ulgulanoth? The gauntlet has been dropped!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

>_> i don't even...

Silver Crusade

Hmmm.. I may write one more gazateer. I liked my first one since it tied into my Pathfinder Chronicler entry. But..... One more location would not hurt.

Liberty's Edge Contributor

While I greatly appreciate the apparent effort to limit our editorial workload, I can assure you that I have no problem piling more work onto our volunteer editors. They love it, anyway.

So...SUBMIT! SUBMIT! SUBMIT!

(Funny...I say the same thing to our editors. Context is a bit different, though. ;) )

Cheers!

Paris
Wayfinder Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

motteditor wrote:

I'll see if I can't toss together a few magic items; I feel like that's possibly my strength at a designer (hey, practicing for Superstar for like two years straight has to get you somewhere) so I should be able to throw a few together.

Am I correct that because it's a compilation, it doesn't necessarily need to be 750 exactly (even if so, I can probably do three of them with a 250-word average).

Magic item articles work kind of like the bestiary....sort of.

You should aim for submitting a full article with a general theme to them all, hitting the word count accordingly. We typically get 2 or 3 magic item articles that just go with the issue theme and I often cherry pick specific item out of each to make one larger article from them all. But, only if I get enough submissions!

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Alexandra Pitchford wrote:
Hmm. Well, I'll still submit the story that I talked to you about, Tim. I've been working on it, trying to get it perfect, so...yeah >_>

Please do!

Liberty's Edge

I have a few monsters in mind - is there an abundance of any one type so far? I.e. insect, plant, reptile, etc.?

Scarab Sages

I have an idea for a side trek. Hopefully I'll have some time during the next week to flesh it out.

I also had an idea for an organization, but don't recall what type of format or word count is used for something like that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Tim,

In development and probably headed your way by the end of next week:

An article on a cult of Hastur in Katapesh.

A Weal and Woe featuring the cult leader and an investigator looking into strange goings-on that are connected to the cult.

A monster for the bestiary, also connected to the cult.

As far as I know, James Keegan is still interested in doing art for at least one of these.

Sovereign Court

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Should have both the board game rules and Ships of the Inner Desert article in by end of week.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Yay for the ships!

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Aberzombie wrote:

I have an idea for a side trek. Hopefully I'll have some time during the next week to flesh it out.

I also had an idea for an organization, but don't recall what type of format or word count is used for something like that.

Organization format is pretty much that seen in the Inner Sea World Guide for Factions. Also see Round 2 for RPG Superstar 2012. Word count is the hard target of 750 words. These really should be 1 page articles. If, however, you've got a LOT to say about the organization, then 1500 words is a possibility. There just better be a lot of awesome stuff in those 1500 words....

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Corvidimus wrote:
I have a few monsters in mind - is there an abundance of any one type so far? I.e. insect, plant, reptile, etc.?

Nope.

We've got 2 golems, a magical beast, an outsider, a hag, and 2 takes on a man-eating oasis (1 ooze, 1 aberration).

I think getting reptiles, insects, plants would be WELCOMED.

MOAR MONSTERS PLEASE!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Monsters submitted. Fingers crossed. My wife and I tag teamed this.


What I am writing is three plants (in a single article, possibly with an extended background) and maybe one more plant creature.

Desert hag? *sigh* I should think of that...

Scarab Sages

Timitius wrote:

Class Articles - 12. This includes prestige classes, archetypes, talents, bloodlines, domains/subdomains, etc.
NEED: Have lots of variety...but only one prestige class. LOTS of archetypes. Set contributed a lot to this area, so I'd LIKE to see more people step up for this type of article.

Crunch/Rules - 7. These are spells, feats, animal companions, etc. Rules stuff.
NEED: Again, Set contributed a lot to this area, so I'd LIKE to see more people step up for this type of article. Plus...No magic items??
NEED MORE.

Bestiary - 8 creatures (two are pretty much the same creature though).
NEED: MORE monsters.

Fluff/Flavor - 5. people and places. 3 Gazetteers, an organization, and a place.
NEED: some more submissions!!

You say you've got lots of archetypes; how about an alternate class?

The idea I've got for reimagining the sha'ir doesn't quite fit any of the current arcane classes closely enough to be a simple archetype.

If it's acceptable, it could certainly benefit from some sample tiny familiar statblocks, and some feats to expand spells known, retrain focus, admixture, and improve its bardic-style planar knowledge and perform abilities.
What about a shrine to the four elements? And a group of watchers to protect it?


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hmmm, no magic items - time to see what I can knock out in a short deadline imposed run then.

Anyone writing for the bazaars - here is some inspiration!


Anthony Adam wrote:

Hmmm, no magic items - time to see what I can knock out in a short deadline imposed run then.

Anyone writing for the bazaars - here is some inspiration!

My bad, I'm usually good for a page of magic items, but I wrote a little gazetteer on bazaar stalls instead. Maybe I'll find time to throw a few together...


Timitius wrote:

Fiction - 6. We are good on Fiction, with the PF Chroniclers providing us a good source.

NEED: We're good.

That's...disappointing. I have a story waiting on one last edit. Should I bother submitting it at this point?

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

I'm not going to reject submissions merely because I have "enough". If you have a submission of fiction that hits the 750 or 1500 word count that you'd like to send, SEND IT.

I merely put up the tally and needs list, because I always get this request for every issue down to within the 10 days of the deadline.

Now, fiction. If you are a PF Chronicler writer, well, those fiction pieces are always welcomed, and because they are edited by that group, they come in pretty well polished. I like that. A LOT.

However, sometimes I solicit fiction from outside the PFC circle. And sometimes a fan writes a nice, solid, interesting fiction piece I truly enjoy, and it gets accepted.

Simply put, I judge each submission on its own merit. If we read it, and like it, and want to use it....we do. It's that simple.

If you read the guidelines, and follow them, then no autoreject. OK?


Timitius wrote:

I'm not going to reject submissions merely because I have "enough". If you have a submission of fiction that hits the 750 or 1500 word count that you'd like to send, SEND IT.

I merely put up the tally and needs list, because I always get this request for every issue down to within the 10 days of the deadline.

Now, fiction. If you are a PF Chronicler writer, well, those fiction pieces are always welcomed, and because they are edited by that group, they come in pretty well polished. I like that. A LOT.

However, sometimes I solicit fiction from outside the PFC circle. And sometimes a fan writes a nice, solid, interesting fiction piece I truly enjoy, and it gets accepted.

Simply put, I judge each submission on its own merit. If we read it, and like it, and want to use it....we do. It's that simple.

If you read the guidelines, and follow them, then no autoreject. OK?

Got it -- thanks!

But what is this PFC circle of which you speak?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
bugleyman wrote:


Got it -- thanks!

But what is this PFC circle of which you speak?

PFC = Pathfinder Chronicler

Website


Finally, I have finished and will send today my 2 submissions on Katapesh/Quadira inspired magic items (Genie-crafted and works of Sulesh).

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
bugleyman wrote:


Got it -- thanks!

But what is this PFC circle of which you speak?

Pazuzu Fried Chicken.

Contributor

Sending my submission by Friday.


Timitius wrote:
Corvidimus wrote:
I have a few monsters in mind - is there an abundance of any one type so far? I.e. insect, plant, reptile, etc.?

Nope.

We've got 2 golems, a magical beast, an outsider, a hag, and 2 takes on a man-eating oasis (1 ooze, 1 aberration).

I think getting reptiles, insects, plants would be WELCOMED.

MOAR MONSTERS PLEASE!

Dayum, I was going to do a man-eating oasis and a construct. Back to the drawing board to morph them into an elemental and plant...


Finished and sent.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kilrex wrote:
Dayum, I was going to do a man-eating oasis and a construct. Back to the drawing board to morph them into an elemental and plant...

Funny, I was torn between making the construct an elemental and the aberration a plant, too!

Ruyan.


And then Tim was buried under a multiple plant submissions...

Dark Archive

Evil vampire cacti for the win!

Scarab Sages

A golem made of coconut shells?

"The Clopper; the Hairy Husk That Walks Like a Man."

201 to 250 of 597 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / [Community Project] Wayfinder #10 Call for Submissions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.