>> Ask Todd Stewart ALL your questions here! <<


Off-Topic Discussions

201 to 250 of 417 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Contributor

xavier c wrote:
What want to work on the most from paizo or what do you want to write about the most in pathfinder?

Anything involving the planes (with a preference for anything having to deal with the Maelstrom, Abaddon, Demiplanes, Axis, Nirvana, the Abyss, Shadow, Positive and Negative).

Exploring places off the standard map would also be really cool, such as more stuff in Casmaron, Iblydos, Sarusan, Arcadia, southern Garund, etc.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Not as much interest in (my personal favorite) Elysium?

Contributor

Alayern wrote:
Not as much interest in (my personal favorite) Elysium?

I can't put "everything" when it comes to trying to give some favorites. Elysium is a bit of a mixed bag for me. I've always found the upper planes to not be as much fun to write about, at least compared to the lower planes (which I utterly adore). Mind you, I had a lot of fun writing the original description of Elysium, and I'd love to see certain elements therein to be explored more in depth, but I'd pick something evil or much more obscure and exotic first (though Pathfinder folding the lillend into the azatas formally was awesome, and I've come to really like them).

Plus, as a giant Planescape nerd, I still have to think about which plane I'm talking about when I use Elysium (is it Pathfinder CG Elysium, or NG Nirvana that was NG Elysium in Planescape?). XD

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 4

Can you think of an anathematic substance other than axiomatic that would be useful in binding proteans?

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
MillerHero wrote:
Can you think of an anathematic substance other than axiomatic that would be useful in binding proteans?

While I'm not Todd, that came up in a game once, and we had some ideas;

Proteans are all about change and things flowing into other things, leading to new discoveries.

Something pure and unalloyed and relatively enduring / unchanging seems ideal (iron has that rusting issue, but steel is a mixture / alloy / composite material, and pure gold is symbolically changeless, and yet very malleable, perhaps silver?). Also something worked, instead of a powder or raw material. Something that order has been imposed upon, so instead of a ring of silver dust, a fine chain of silver links arranged in a circle around a summoned protean, could represent both singularity / purity (which they wouldn't care for) and also matter being beaten / forged into a permanent unchanging state (ditto).

Other things that represent restraint or permanence, like a bug trapped in amber (life constrained by something that represents stasis and can remain changeless for a million years), could work, as well as preservatives like salt.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:
MillerHero wrote:
Can you think of an anathematic substance other than axiomatic that would be useful in binding proteans?

While I'm not Todd, that came up in a game once, and we had some ideas;

Proteans are all about change and things flowing into other things, leading to new discoveries.

Something pure and unalloyed and relatively enduring / unchanging seems ideal (iron has that rusting issue, but steel is a mixture / alloy / composite material, and pure gold is symbolically changeless, and yet very malleable, perhaps silver?). Also something worked, instead of a powder or raw material. Something that order has been imposed upon, so instead of a ring of silver dust, a fine chain of silver links arranged in a circle around a summoned protean, could represent both singularity / purity (which they wouldn't care for) and also matter being beaten / forged into a permanent unchanging state (ditto).

Other things that represent restraint or permanence, like a bug trapped in amber (life constrained by something that represents stasis and can remain changeless for a million years), could work, as well as preservatives like salt.

Maybe a minor artifact, like Abadar's unending mountain of paperwork or Cosmo's TPS reports of vorpal papercuts?

Contributor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
MillerHero wrote:
Can you think of an anathematic substance other than axiomatic that would be useful in binding proteans?

Consider objects that in and of themselves represent or enforce order, both in the superficial and overt, and also a bit deeper. So chains worn by an infamous prisoner, the hinge pin of a gate into a fortress, etc. Then go deeper and consider items such as contracts but also abstract things such as duty and obligations, and the items that enforce, state, or grant meaning to them.

It can't be as easy as signing a piece of paper with a promise there on the spot, that might just annoy a protean but not have much power over it for binding purposes. But a contract signed in blood by three people a decade earlier to bind themselves together in a compact vowing revenge against a third party; a sealed chest containing a dowry price for a person sold into an arranged marriage against their will, etc.

Objects that impose order, stability, and a hindrance to change will hold power over beings of manifest chaos such as the proteans. They'll also sincerely piss them off. So I would suggest tha... *eaten by naunets*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Mmmm, chicken mcnaunets...


So I just started a Pathfinder game with a group at my new job.
I decided to play a qlippoth-spawn tiefling, because they're unusual and it felt like I could get a really interesting story out of it.

Saw the image of the cythnigot and created a character who was infested by the fungus while on the verge of death. Somehow, presumably, the invading abyssal fungus thing killed off any other disease, pathogens etc which allowed the kid to stay alive. After some period of time, it became interested in experiencing how a soul works and functions (and maybe this could provide some useful information on stopping the spawn of more daemons and prevent them overrunning the abyss) so retreats enough to allow the kid to function as a person (albeit with a huge mouth thing splitting his chest, and a few extra hands).

Anyway, fast forward to the present, character has just joined the adventuring group. Have been trying to make up some rules regarding treating Snappy (that's the fungus-mouth's name - my char has int 6 :P) as an intelligent item with a high ego score. Thought it could be fun to have him lash out at things he dislikes (upon introduction, a number of party members were convinced I was daemonic, which Snappy takes offence to). ALSO thought that if we were ever to come across some hugely powerful artifact that could do massive amounts of damage to humanity, that Snappy might forego his soul-watching experiment and take over.

So I was wondering what the appropriate rate of mutation would be for such a creature, and whether or not it would be plausible for Snappy to totally consume me, swell to monstrous size, and essentially become a boss.

Hopefully this is an interesting one for you! Thanks :)


Qlippoth-spawn tieflings are very fun =) Very good choice. =D

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

What's the deal with the Fleshwarren? Anything would be nice, as there is so little info...

Contributor

Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
What's the deal with the Fleshwarren? Anything would be nice, as there is so little info...

In part it's a subtle homage to Bruce Cordell's demiplanes in the 2e 'Guide to the Ethereal Plane', specifically the demiplanes 'Wormscape' and 'The Boundless'.

Might it be the corpse of a dead god seeking to reenter the world through the people that become bound to its corpse? Might it be the results of an experiment gone horrifically long and whose deadly results not only killed the creature whose corpse forms the demiplane but not lingers on like a metaphysical prion infecting and corrupting those who become exposed? There are so many ways that you could go with it in a campaign.

As for the actual truth behind it, that remains to be seen if and when it receives further attention in a future publication. :)

Mind you, I'm a bit loathe to greatly expand on a bunch of material from that book since they were tiny plot nuggets and teasers of intentional mystery that might be expanded in the future. I don't want to write something here and burden either myself or other authors in the future with either having to stick with my non-canon answer here or else have people complain if they write a canon answer in the future that goes against what I've done here in non-canon form as the original author.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Suetyfiddle wrote:

So I just started a Pathfinder game with a group at my new job.

I decided to play a qlippoth-spawn tiefling, because they're unusual and it felt like I could get a really interesting story out of it.

Saw the image of the cythnigot and created a character who was infested by the fungus while on the verge of death. Somehow, presumably, the invading abyssal fungus thing killed off any other disease, pathogens etc which allowed the kid to stay alive. After some period of time, it became interested in experiencing how a soul works and functions (and maybe this could provide some useful information on stopping the spawn of more daemons and prevent them overrunning the abyss) so retreats enough to allow the kid to function as a person (albeit with a huge mouth thing splitting his chest, and a few extra hands).

Anyway, fast forward to the present, character has just joined the adventuring group. Have been trying to make up some rules regarding treating Snappy (that's the fungus-mouth's name - my char has int 6 :P) as an intelligent item with a high ego score. Thought it could be fun to have him lash out at things he dislikes (upon introduction, a number of party members were convinced I was daemonic, which Snappy takes offence to). ALSO thought that if we were ever to come across some hugely powerful artifact that could do massive amounts of damage to humanity, that Snappy might forego his soul-watching experiment and take over.

So I was wondering what the appropriate rate of mutation would be for such a creature, and whether or not it would be plausible for Snappy to totally consume me, swell to monstrous size, and essentially become a boss.

Hopefully this is an interesting one for you! Thanks :)

I absolutely love it when players come up with off the wall, bizarre, and yet deeply thought out character concepts for the GM to use as living plot hooks over the course of the campaign. Snappy here is one such example, and I love it. XD

What rate of mutation? A campaign plot appropriate rate of mutation. Let the GM decide when to put things up a notch based on what's going on in-game and how long they intend for the campaign to last. It's the same way that I handle experience in my own campaigns. Don't worry about numbers, you'll level when I as the GM feel that it's appropriate to level, and as you do, I'll advance the threats presented to more or less keep pace.

Yeah I think it would be totally awesome to at some point have Snappy take over, have the music change so to speak, and the GM hand you a new character sheet to represent Snappy writ-large and have you play them for the resulting RP or even combat against the other PCs as it happens. If the PCs manage to do whatever it takes to suppress Snappy and being your PC back into control, go back to the previous character sheet (but have that looking threat of Snappy coming back still there lurking).

Dang that's a really cool character concept! :D


Why must you and your razor-crowned Muse constantly make my life difficult? All I want to do is run my shop, keep people's lives happy, and be left alone to find out everyone's secrets.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've been tinkering around with a home campaign idea. Sort of a planescape of my own, with a Golarion flavour:

Purgatoria

The afterlife ain't what you thought it was. The goddess of death pronounces judgement on the dead, but her backlog is centuries long so while souls wait for their final destination they gotta live in the city of Purgatoria. Where devils tempt souls one last time, where angels guard their flocks and where djinn rub shoulders with ghosts. When someone's number is up before Pharasma calls, its up to the Watch to get it solved.

Inspirations: Planescape, Ghostwalk, Grim Fandango, Eberron, Noir Films, Sandman.

I was considering how to handle PCs new to the afterlife, whether to put a template on their previous race or have a universal "ectoplasmic petitioner" race where the race while they were alive is merely a cosmetic difference.
What do you think?

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

I've been tinkering around with a home campaign idea. Sort of a planescape of my own, with a Golarion flavour:

Purgatoria

The afterlife ain't what you thought it was. The goddess of death pronounces judgement on the dead, but her backlog is centuries long so while souls wait for their final destination they gotta live in the city of Purgatoria. Where devils tempt souls one last time, where angels guard their flocks and where djinn rub shoulders with ghosts. When someone's number is up before Pharasma calls, its up to the Watch to get it solved.

Inspirations: Planescape, Ghostwalk, Grim Fandango, Eberron, Noir Films, Sandman.

I was considering how to handle PCs new to the afterlife, whether to put a template on their previous race or have a universal "ectoplasmic petitioner" race where the race while they were alive is merely a cosmetic difference.
What do you think?

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this.

These sorts of games are always fun. :)

I'd be tempted to use a generic petitioner race with minor cosmetic differences. It all comes down to if the physical nature of a race in life matters most, or does the essence of the soul matter more, now physically realized in the afterlife? I tend towards the latter for most cases, with some odd exceptions perhaps.

Dark Archive

So Starfinder... you excited for it?

Contributor

ulgulanoth wrote:
So Starfinder... you excited for it?

VERY!

I just finished up working on the 3pp Aethera project (which has some similar science-fantasy themes) and so yeah, I'm eager as a kid watching candy being made in a high end shop through a plate glass window!

I want to devour it and even make some of my own if that's in the cards. It really looks awesome.


Crossposted in AMA threads: it's a Paizopaloozaganza!

Todd.

Tooooooooooooooodd.

Super-serious series of questions*:

* Nnnnnnope.

If you could have 1d4 ⇒ 2 different super-powers, what would they be and why?
(Assume corollary powers required to make a given power work are part of it; i.e. Since you'd need super tensile strength/durability to, you know, not-die when you made use of your super-strength power, you get them both when you say "super strength" as a singular option.)
Why?

If, instead, you could be a gestalt of 1d2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 super heroes, who would you gestalt to be yourself? Why? Which comic universe would you run around in? Would you prefer to be in that one, or this one?

On the other hand: BAM! You just gained 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 2, 2) + 2 = 12 levels in a Pathfinder class (or classes)! Which class(es) do you pick, and why? Incidentally, if you could spontaneously switch races, would you? And if so, to which?

Similarly, you won the super-lottery, and gained mythic tiers! 3d3 + 1 ⇒ (1, 1, 1) + 1 = 4 of 'em! (And you gain class levels to match; please feel free to change your previous answer if this does so for some reason.) What path do you take? (Alternate option: substitute a single tier for a simple mythic template.)

Yet another query: you monster. Specifically, you CR: 1d30 ⇒ 10 (or less) monster! Which are you?! ... and would this have been your first choice? If not, which would be?

But the wheels of fate-time have spun again, and your everything has been transposed into that of someone else! You've just become a prepublished NPC from an official source! Which prepublished NPC is it?

What campaign setting do you run around in? Why?

As a final thing: blend any and/or all of the above questions into a single ginormous question: an optional blend of a prepublished NPC, monster, and some superheroes all walk into a bar... and out comes you, as a gestalt of those guys, the race you choose, some extra superpowers, and have extra class levels and mythic tiers on top! What are you?! (Other than "awesome" - naturally.)

Equipment is a non-issue (like adjunct super-powers; what you need to do <X> is assumed). Also note that any significant others can be brought with you.

"Official" and "Pre-published" are loose terms, but general expect something that has a solid publishing company and identifiable map/world/conceits behind it (like WotC for Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Dark Sun, Greyhawk, etc; or Green Ronin for Blue Rose, but not "True20"; or Paizo for Golarion, or the Maelstrom, or the upcoming Starfinder; but not "the Bestiaries" or "the Planes" or things like that - basically things that people can find and nerd out about with you). Similarly, if it has a solid AP out for it, that, too, is acceptable (like Legendary Planet; or any of Paizo's APs). It should probably be a d20 variant, but it can be whatever you like of those many variants (True20, Blue Rose, Paizo, 3.5, 3rd; etc.). That said, if a Homebrew or otherwise "weak" entry just needs to be there due to compelling reasons... okay. Similarly other systems. Let us know why! Computer and video game translations of such (Neverwinter Nights and/or expansions/sequels; PFO; etc) are acceptable as interpretations as well.

Similarly, for comics, it needs to be superheroes that people can reasonsonably be expected to come across - "that one I made up with my cousin as a kid" is an awesome answer, and worth noting and why, but prrrrooooobabaly isn't the best choice, unless it's just so powerful that you've GOT to. In which case: sure, but bring us along for the ride! Related, the super need not come from one of the "big two" in comics, so long as the people and world is both recognizes me and accessible - choosing The Incredibles world is valid (and awesome), as is Spawn (blech); you're not just limited to Marvel or DC. Similarly "standard" powers need not apply - so long as it is clearly communicable, it's fine (even if all the field specifics aren't clear, that's okay - knowing you're powered by our yellow star is fine; you don't need to know this, but it's acceptable if you do).

Finally, presume you have the basics necessary for a happy life. Your spouse, best friend, and so on, can all be considered to "come with you" (should they choose to do so) wherever it is that you go.

Oh, and one more thing: if you lived through a Legend of Zelda (as one of the Links); which would it be, and why?

Thanks! Enjoy!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Heard from James Jacobs that you got tapped to write the Horseman for Bestiary 6.

Is this a dream come true fpr you to stat up these unholy paragons of a bleak and violent demise?

Contributor

5 people marked this as a favorite.
KaiserBruno wrote:

Heard from James Jacobs that you got tapped to write the Horseman for Bestiary 6.

Is this a dream come true fpr you to stat up these unholy paragons of a bleak and violent demise?

I'm having far too much working on them. I can do bleak and horrific rather well it seems, and I'm seriously happy to get to do their stats after having written everything -but- that in Book of the Damned 3.

The Four aren't what I'm having the most fun writing for B6 though. Stew on that thought.

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

Crossposted in AMA threads: it's a Paizopaloozaganza!

Todd.

Tooooooooooooooodd.

Super-serious series of questions*:

* Nnnnnnope.
If you could have 1d4 ⇒ 2 different super-powers, what would they be and why?
(Assume corollary powers required to make a given power work are part of it; i.e. Since you'd need super tensile strength/durability to, you know, not-die when you made use of your super-strength power, you get them both when you say "super strength" as a singular option.)
Why?

Shapechanging and magic.

Quote:
If, instead, you could be a gestalt of 1d2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 super heroes, who would you gestalt to be yourself? Why? Which comic universe would you run around in? Would you prefer to be in that one, or this one?

Mystique and doctor strange. Shapeshifting and magic. Nothing more must be said. In this universe.

Quote:
On the other hand: BAM! You just gained 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 2, 2) + 2 = 12 levels in a Pathfinder class (or classes)! Which class(es) do you pick, and why? Incidentally, if you could spontaneously switch races, would you? And if so, to which?

Blood-arcanist (protean). No reason to choose between wizard or sorcerer when you can pretty much be both. Also protean is the thematically coolest bloodline ever printed IMO.

Switch races? Sure thing. I'm a keketar now. Hey you didn't specify 0 hd. If you do then tiefling all the way (as long as I can be a DiTerlizzi style Planescape tiefling, because those are best tieflings).

Quote:
Similarly, you won the super-lottery, and gained mythic tiers! 3d3 + 1 ⇒ (1, 1, 1) + 1 = 4 of 'em! (And you gain class levels to match; please feel free to change your previous answer if this does so for some reason.) What path do you take? (Alternate option: substitute a single tier for a simple mythic template.)

Archmage all the way.

Quote:
Yet another query: you monster. Specifically, you CR: 1d30 ⇒ 10 (or less) monster! Which are you?! ... and would this have been your first choice? If not, which would be?

Energy-drained arcanaloth brought down to CR 10. The 3e version with shapechange at will and innate spellcasting. They were boss. Also I like them. A lot.

If not that, succubus. Notice the shapeshifting and magic combination thing.

First choice though would be a unique archfiend of the godlike variety I appreciate as campaign ending villains (baernaloths, the Oinodaemon, Tegresin the Laughing Fiend, etc)

Quote:
But the wheels of fate-time have spun again, and your everything has been transposed into that of someone else! You've just become a prepublished NPC from an official source! Which prepublished NPC is it?

Shemeshka the Marauder. Dungeon Magazine #205. If I'm going to be evil, I'm going to be fabulous.

Quote:
What campaign setting do you run around in? Why?

Very torn between Golarion and Planescape. Have to go with Planescape though.

Quote:

As a final thing: blend any and/or all of the above questions into a single ginormous question: an optional blend of a prepublished NPC, monster, and some superheroes all walk into a bar... and out comes you, as a gestalt of those guys, the race you choose, some extra superpowers, and have extra class levels and mythic tiers on top! What are you?! (Other than "awesome" - naturally.)

Equipment is a non-issue (like adjunct super-powers; what you need to do <X> is assumed). Also note that any significant others can be brought with you.

I'd probably end up as something like my last PC Il'setsya Wyrmtouched at the end of the campaign where she pretty much ended up as a keketar with caster levels and zero responsibility. Or something like the Marauder elevated to Oinoloth. Something equally decadent and self-indulgent.

Quote:
Oh, and one more thing: if you lived through a Legend of Zelda (as one of the Links); which would it be, and why?

I haven't played any of the LoZ games since the SNES, so I can't really answer this one.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Do you like shapeshifting, and magic.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Todd Stewart wrote:
KaiserBruno wrote:

Heard from James Jacobs that you got tapped to write the Horseman for Bestiary 6.

Is this a dream come true fpr you to stat up these unholy paragons of a bleak and violent demise?

I'm having far too much working on them. I can do bleak and horrific rather well it seems, and I'm seriously happy to get to do their stats after having written everything -but- that in Book of the Damned 3.

The Four aren't what I'm having the most fun writing for B6 though. Stew on that thought.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet it starts with a P... and ends with tean.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Todd Stewart wrote:
KaiserBruno wrote:

Heard from James Jacobs that you got tapped to write the Horseman for Bestiary 6.

Is this a dream come true fpr you to stat up these unholy paragons of a bleak and violent demise?

I'm having far too much working on them. I can do bleak and horrific rather well it seems, and I'm seriously happy to get to do their stats after having written everything -but- that in Book of the Damned 3.

The Four aren't what I'm having the most fun writing for B6 though. Stew on that thought.

I know there are new proteans in there thanks to Mr. Jacobs. Beyond excited for that. But that comment implys something else. Dare I ask about the possibility of Protean Lords?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

If I had to guess, I'd say the Proteans are the same ones from Hell's Rebels, which were all very well done.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
KaiserBruno wrote:


I know there are new proteans in there thanks to Mr. Jacobs. Beyond excited for that.

:D

Yeah, it's been amusing to see over the past few years if I'm writing more content for proteans or for daemons. They're probably my favorite things to write about for Pathfinder, and at this point I'm guilty for most of the content for both.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Aha! You admit your culpability and guilt!

There is only one punishment then,

*GLOMPS*

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Todd what do you think a CR20 protean would look like? What do you think it would be able to do?

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Because I'm gauche enough to bump my own thread. Yes it's threadomancy, and yes it's evil, but would you expect anything else from the person who wrote BotD3? >:)

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just wanted to say thanks for Shemeska's story hour and the rest of your twisted work. Keep on writing!

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well Todd you never did answer my question :P

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Belabras wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for Shemeska's story hour and the rest of your twisted work. Keep on writing!

You are absolutely welcome!

I'm still working on it, and the last update had me playing with A'kin talking about his past (or at least dancing around actually giving an answer to his particular status or not as a yugoloth). More and more fiendish politics and metaplot on the way (and PCs meeting one PC's parents, wedding plans, etc).


2 people marked this as a favorite.

First of all I want to say that I am a massive fan of yours and you've significantly affected the way I play and perceive Planescape.

Second, with Planewalker still recovering from its old server issues, I was wondering if your works on The Demented were hosted anywhere else?

I am running a Planescape PbP on the boards, and I consider your works to be an invaluable resource.

Also thank you very much for returning my PM, to have direct conversation with you of any sort is akin, for me, to having the chance to speak with with Zeb Cook or Tony DiTerlizzi.

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
TheLawfulNeutral wrote:

First of all I want to say that I am a massive fan of yours and you've significantly affected the way I play and perceive Planescape.

Second, with Planewalker still recovering from its old server issues, I was wondering if your works on The Demented were hosted anywhere else?

I am running a Planescape PbP on the boards, and I consider your works to be an invaluable resource.

Also thank you very much for returning my PM, to have direct conversation with you of any sort is akin, for me, to having the chance to speak with with Zeb Cook or Tony DiTerlizzi.

*blush* Wait, no. You're not supposed to have that reaction to me or anything that I've wrote. That's what my reaction was and is towards the 2e authors, DiTerlizzi, etc. :D

Seriously, thank you. I'm genuinely flattered that anyone appreciates and still enjoys stuff that I started writing a decade ago as spinoffs from my home campaign (though tiny bits of them eventually filtered down as allusions or easter eggs in some published work).

Most of the baernaloth stories were published rather randomly on the (now departed) WotC boards, Enworld, and Planewalker. I know that I wrote stuff on the former that I probably no longer have copies of myself, but I like to think that I'm a much better writer now versus when I started.

Still, if you're interested and don't mind the fact that most of this stuff hasn't been edited since I first wrote them, I've posted them all on google docs with the links below. 10 of the 13 planned stories are actually finished at this point (I wrote one for The Architect this year actually), and the remaining three are sitting on my desktop, partially written or just outlined and I do plan to finish them at some indefinite point in the future.

Additionally, these were originally written with regard to the formatting used on Enworld and retain markups for that.

The Architect: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VIr5vpsrp15qrA2rU8lxbeQC9QrQeuD1bVjRr_4 ZcIo/edit?usp=sharing

The Dire Shepherd: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zEe38synNFeYH3QLgwQRaC-nHwfpX94eeUzVtSl Ay_8/edit?usp=sharing

The Wanderer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XCMY6LX_Q8ZUoPIaHu-EY74guIc_iHk_DxnkXPM -fwI/edit?usp=sharing

The Blind Clockmaker: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i-G2M_We0v44pfJGBvJjFAWDcmNZo7jgj_kN1li IkjQ/edit?usp=sharing

The Flesh Sculptor: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16MWyURmn2bKWw3-0Rv3K2iHTMe1zRrRCxwVIeZ7 6qNw/edit?usp=sharing

The Inquisitor: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18SMMkcM6isEAsAYgX5Zjftws3T8aeCq32uCHuEw 3Yo4/edit?usp=sharing

The Chronicler: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n2CYazOVrf6nivvvN8ZKKiuGSOoeU0fFu_Qq9jS 6__Q/edit?usp=sharing

The Lie Weaver: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Cptf0K5Dh6dY3BgPi-g5myYlAO8H0168OnQamKr h03A/edit?usp=sharing

The Proselytizer: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17WWbCklizErfpzHgg0CgE48MsZbvH_2-dzgQOqS ut6I/edit?usp=sharing

The Book Binder: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YW-ZYrHngGiwZSS3Nlb9tbrUYv4dWlxPir7RXiJ X3zs/edit?usp=sharing

The remaining in-progress stories include The Dream Reaver, The Ineffable, and The Shackler

Additionally, while not properly included in these stories' continuity, my spouse wrote a baernaloth based story for me as a bit of a macabre Valentines day present here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?271738-Response-fiction-for-She meska-The-Collector

There's also the matter of Tegresin the Laughing Fiend, who while part of Golarion is at least within my home game it's alluded that he's a baernaloth essentially stranded and imprisoned in the Great Beyond cosmology (and bereft of the ability to leave is just spending his time as a self-described 'misery tourist') : http://pathfinderchronicler.net/tea-with-the-laughing-fiend-by-todd-stewart /


If you were redoing the Phasmadaemon, would you replace some of he traditional illusion SLAs with some of the hallucination line of spells from Ultimate Intrigue?

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Ok for unknown reasons the google docs links above aren't working. For whatever reason when I post them to the boards, they break when posted.

Add docs.google.com/ before every link below and it seems to work. Bizarre.

The Architect:
document/d/1VIr5vpsrp15qrA2rU8lxbeQC9QrQeuD1bVjRr_4ZcIo/edit?usp=sharing

The Dire Shepherd:
document/d/1zEe38synNFeYH3QLgwQRaC-nHwfpX94eeUzVtSlAy_8/edit?usp=sharing

The Wanderer:
document/d/1XCMY6LX_Q8ZUoPIaHu-EY74guIc_iHk_DxnkXPM-fwI/edit?usp=sharing

The Blind Clockmaker:
document/d/1i-G2M_We0v44pfJGBvJjFAWDcmNZo7jgj_kN1liIkjQ/edit?usp=sharing

The Flesh Sculptor:
document/d/16MWyURmn2bKWw3-0Rv3K2iHTMe1zRrRCxwVIeZ76qNw/edit?usp=sharing

The Inquisitor:
document/d/18SMMkcM6isEAsAYgX5Zjftws3T8aeCq32uCHuEw3Yo4/edit?usp=sharing

The Chronicler:
document/d/1n2CYazOVrf6nivvvN8ZKKiuGSOoeU0fFu_Qq9jS6__Q/edit?usp=sharing

The Lie Weaver:
document/d/1Cptf0K5Dh6dY3BgPi-g5myYlAO8H0168OnQamKrh03A/edit?usp=sharing

The Proselytizer:
document/d/17WWbCklizErfpzHgg0CgE48MsZbvH_2-dzgQOqSut6I/edit?usp=sharing

The Book Binder:
document/d/1YW-ZYrHngGiwZSS3Nlb9tbrUYv4dWlxPir7RXiJX3zs/edit?usp=sharing

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Not working either.

Hmm, it might be because you're using blank text instead of using [url] on the Paizo site, but that's just a gues.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

Not working either.

Hmm, it might be because you're using blank text instead of using [url] on the Paizo site, but that's just a gues.

No, I was having the same issues on posting the "shareable" links on Facebook. Took some tinkering there as well.

The second attempt in my above post appears to work, just requires adding docs.google.com/ before each of the links

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Okies, thanks!


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Todd Stewart wrote:

Ok for unknown reasons the google docs links above aren't working. For whatever reason when I post them to the boards, they break when posted.

Add docs.google.com/ before every link below and it seems to work. Bizarre.

The Architect:
link

The Dire Shepherd:
link

The Wanderer:
link

The Blind Clockmaker:
link

The Flesh Sculptor:
link

The Inquisitor:
link

The Chronicler:
link

The Lie Weaver:
link

The Proselytizer:
link

The Book Binder:
link

I think I may have done a "magic"? Either way, these work for me, now! :D


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Todd Stewart gives me access to the greatest of Planar Evils and now Ken Marable applies to be PbP, I swear I might swoon. Thank you so much, I'm already starting to reread these and the Story Hour while I prepare for my own sandbox game.

Would you happen to have any advice or suggestions on how to give these Pathfinders a great game? I've been running off of another board (www.rpgcrossing.com feel free to visit and donate to our BBR Foundation chairty drive) and we're a slower paced more story oriented lot. Have you seen anything specific that really grabs the imagination and interest of the folks around here?

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Come to PaizoCon and I'm hoping to run some one shot planar games. :)

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Plausible Pseudonym wrote:
If you were redoing the Phasmadaemon, would you replace some of he traditional illusion SLAs with some of the hallucination line of spells from Ultimate Intrigue?

Very likely yes. You have to work with what you have at the time, and it's difficult to create vastly new mechanics within the standard monster word count.

The hallucinations from Ultimate Intrigue are a good option to introduce with the phasmadaemon (which straight up originated in a nightmare I had).

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
TheLawfulNeutral wrote:

Todd Stewart gives me access to the greatest of Planar Evils and now Ken Marable applies to be PbP, I swear I might swoon. Thank you so much, I'm already starting to reread these and the Story Hour while I prepare for my own sandbox game.

Would you happen to have any advice or suggestions on how to give these Pathfinders a great game? I've been running off of another board (www.rpgcrossing.com feel free to visit and donate to our BBR Foundation chairty drive) and we're a slower paced more story oriented lot. Have you seen anything specific that really grabs the imagination and interest of the folks around here?

:D

I hope that you enjoy the baern stories and the storyhour likewise. I would advise that my own take on Planescape is arguably an idiosyncratic one since I've vastly more focused on the 'loths and their own internal politics, and I've always played exclusively post-Faction War (as I never discovered the setting in the first place until after the line had ended and the events of Faction War had happened). Other folks' material written prior to then and focusing on the pre-FW Faction intrigues are going to help you out considerably if you play during that time period for the setting.

I tend to go heavy metaplot in my own campaigns, with a solid idea before the game ever starts of what the underlying campaign adversary and major campaign turning points will be. I'm also a fan of including loosely connected NPCs and events tangent to that underlying metaplot to potentially snag the PCs attention and then influence the underlying metaplot depending on how/what/if the PCs get involved. My own players routinely pull something out of nowhere to throw a wrench into things and if they do, I'm inclined to run with it (for instance, managing to petrify the Overlord of Carceri while she was using a surrogate astral body due to color pool diving, thus leaving her actual body catatonic in Carceri and her surrogate body a statue unable to cancel her astral projection).

I also try to get a very in-depth character history and likewise ideas on their characters' motivations to promptly use to integrate them into the game initially and also slide into plot/adventure ideas further into the campaign. Nothing gets players engaged than to have their characters being at the fulcrum of a particular plot point with metaplot relevance.

I've never run a PbP myself, and my track record on playing in them leaves rather much to be desired since I end up trying to write way too much and then get burned out within a few months by trying to do that all with other time constraints and competing creative work.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Todd what do you think the ancient war between the Anunnaki and The Elohim was like?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Trelmariaxian The Black wrote:

We are the antithesis of mortality. We are the virus gnawing at the heartblood of creation. We are the universe grown sick of itself - tired, old, horrified of what it has created and its own failures. It suffers, it rejects itself, and it seeks to end the pain. We are creation's suicidal urge and the death of hope.

We care nothing for faith. Your suffering is without meaning. We desire only the cold silence of the soul's obliteration.

I thought I'd take a swing at the quote from Trelmariaxian on this thread. Take it as an invocation of his power!

... I also have questions.

The main one being that in the Daemon's source book, it was noted that some of the harbingers worked specifically under certain horsemen. Can we have a list of who exactly works under whom, or will we have to assume things for ourselves, such as Cixyron working under Szuriel or Aesdurath working under Charon?

Also, what are their personalities like? I know that they're all nihilists of the "Nietzsche Wannabe" variation, but how does this impact how they interact with others? Are they the gloom-and-doom sort or can they express some sort of humor, however dark it may be?

Also, how would Cixyron react if he found the planet Terra and saw what kind of armaments they possessed? Would he upgrade his favored weapon from a musket to, say, a flamethrower? How would he react to the nations that create said weapons, namely the US and Russia?


TODD~!

How's it going?

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tacticslion wrote:

TODD~!

How's it going?

Pretty awesome actually. I just got accepted into the top pharmacy program in the country, and I start later this year. Career change for me after a decade in biotech research. Lots of loan debt and four years of school and minimal income, but looking forward to it.

My freelance work is going to decrease or pause depending on how the workload at school ends up (but I do have unreleased things on the way). I'm toying with following fellow freelancer Clinton Boomer's path and starting a Patreon as a bit of a tip jar as I write stuff on my own time and interest for the next few years. Probably fiction and some monsters and some rules stuff. No idea if anyone would find me worth tossing in anything to help feed me and keep the lights running once my income goes into poverty level once I'm in school full time.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Congrats Todd.

Though my hopes of an expanded Great Beyond hardcover just went down.

201 to 250 of 417 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >> Ask Todd Stewart ALL your questions here! << All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.