Paizo Job Opportunity: Staff Accountant


Paizo General Discussion

Master of Coin

Hey all. I have an upcoming opening for a staff accountant. This is a support position to the senior finance and accounting staff (that would be yours truly), and requires strong data entry skills along with a knowledge of accounting procedures.

As always with Paizo jobs, the posting can be found on the Paizo jobs page.

If you are interested in the position, send in your resume sooner rather than later!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

You know, you're never going to get into that first tier of villainry if you continue to insist on paying your minions...


It's a trap!

Scarab Sages

Damn your lack of need for a mechanical engineer!

shakes fist


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If only I lived in Seattle. I'd be all over this. I love how "Copies of all products produced by Paizo Publishing." Is part of the compensation package.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Being in the wrong country isnt the primary barrier in my case, it's being married. Moving halfway across the world for less money is a hard sell to a non-gaming spouse.

Master of Coin

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Carter Lockhart wrote:
If only I lived in Seattle. I'd be all over this. I love how "Copies of all products produced by Paizo Publishing." Is part of the compensation package.

At this point, I'd say probably 1/3 of our staff moved to Seattle to take a job here. You'd be in good company.

And since you're s subscriber...you can just add what you're paying for that right onto the compensation!


So now Master Of Coin seeks a new own minion? Isn't that typical for evil lieutenants trying to turn on their masters and usurp overlordship over forces of evil, usually but not always failing in some spectacular but predictable way?

Silver Crusade

Just make sure when he fails, you manage to ingratiate yourself enough to rise a rank in the Hiearchy.

Or turn it around so you take them both down and gain two ranks with one evil plot.


To bad, I live in Ohio. And my wife has a good job, this would be almost a dream job for me. Could you, know move the business to Cleveland, or maybe Columbus OH?

Paizo Employee

One failed will save later and my application is on the way. Hey, I'm a halfling bard adopted by gnomes, of course my wisdom is low.

I've often thought Paizo sounds like an awesome place to work, and now up pops a job posting that fits me perfectly. Plus, accounting staff get to help with product design, right?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Elvis Aron Manypockets wrote:
One failed will save later and my application is on the way. Hey, I'm a halfling bard adopted by gnomes, of course my wisdom is low.

This seems a sensible prerequisite for working with finances.

Quote:
I've often thought Paizo sounds like an awesome place to work, and now up pops a job posting that fits me perfectly. Plus, accounting staff get to help with product design, right?

Yes, they do that by providing the designers with shiny coins they use to buy mana and health potions that keep the designers on their legs during the long battles with deadlines.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Elvis Aron Manypockets wrote:

One failed will save later and my application is on the way. Hey, I'm a halfling bard adopted by gnomes, of course my wisdom is low.

I've often thought Paizo sounds like an awesome place to work, and now up pops a job posting that fits me perfectly. Plus, accounting staff get to help with product design, right?

Good luck. :)


Too bad for me I live close enough, but I dont have the skills for that job. I hope something i can do will pop up soon.


When is Paizo gonna open an an office in Canada, blast it!

Master of Coin

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Calex wrote:
When is Paizo gonna open an an office in Canada, blast it!

When it has a climate exactly like that of Seattle! Vancouver doesn't count, that's just Seattle North. (I kid and tease!)

Paizo Employee

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Was typing up a follow-up email and my doorbell rings. UPS delivered my NPC Codex and Animal Archive while I was applying for a job with Paizo. Portents and omens.


Elvis Aron Manypockets wrote:
Was typing up a follow-up email and my doorbell rings. UPS delivered my NPC Codex

Roll a 1st level expert with Profession [accountant]

Quote:

and Animal Archive while I was applying for a job with Paizo. Portents and omens.

That does not bode well. It probably means you have to be wary of the warehouse raptors if they call you for an interview...

Webstore Gninja Minion

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
That does not bode well. It probably means you have to be wary of the warehouse raptors if they call you for an interview...

Unless the raptors have figured out how to transmit themselves over a phone line, you should be safe.

...But they are clever girls...


Liz Courts wrote:
Drejk wrote:
That does not bode well. It probably means you have to be wary of the warehouse raptors if they call you for an interview...

Unless the raptors have figured out how to transmit themselves over a phone line, you should be safe.

...But they are clever girls...

Well, they can always eavesdrop on the call to know when Elvis will start his work and make an ambush on him then.

Paizo Employee

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Drejk wrote:
Liz Courts wrote:
Drejk wrote:
That does not bode well. It probably means you have to be wary of the warehouse raptors if they call you for an interview...

Unless the raptors have figured out how to transmit themselves over a phone line, you should be safe.

...But they are clever girls...

Well, they can always eavesdrop on the call to know when Elvis will start his work and make an ambush on him then.

Trust me, they'll know. I just found out I can use 1 Prestige Point to get him a herald. So now he has a herald. Named Harold. He's an Aasimar. Hark, Harold the Angel herald sings, "Elvis has left the building"


Elvis Aron Manypockets wrote:

One failed will save later and my application is on the way. Hey, I'm a halfling bard adopted by gnomes, of course my wisdom is low.

I've often thought Paizo sounds like an awesome place to work, and now up pops a job posting that fits me perfectly. Plus, accounting staff get to help with product design, right?

I failed my will save too! I couldn't not - did my college statistics project on creating a method to figure out if someone has a weighted dice and all my accounting classmates mocked me!

Plus one of my favorite DMs lives in Bothell.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Manager

So, I'm curious, for those who consider applying at Paizo a "failed will save" what do you mean by that? What makes applying at Paizo a failed saving throw?


Sara Marie wrote:
So, I'm curious, for those who consider applying at Paizo a "failed will save" what do you mean by that? What makes applying at Paizo a failed saving throw?

Could be:

- Moving away from friends/family just to work at Paizo
- Taking a (possibly significant) pay cut just to work at Paizo
- Future education plans (e.g. CPA training) being put on hold just to work at Paizo

The list goes on...

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Is CPA training so intensive that you can't work and study simultaneously?


TriOmegaZero wrote:
Is CPA training so intensive that you can't work and study simultaneously?

It's intensive, but it's actually expected you'll do both (you need work experience). I mean, courses/training has already been set up, so one might have to put it on hold in order to facilitate a move and settling in (I was typing quick, and that item was supposed to be combined with moving).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Ah, that makes sense.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sara Marie wrote:


So, I'm curious, for those who consider applying at Paizo a "failed will save" what do you mean by that? What makes applying at Paizo a failed saving throw?

As an accounting student there is a lot of push to work in "public" accounting and for accounting firm and not "private" - which is individual firms.

I personally made said comment because I sent in my application with a note addressing the fact that I didn't think it was possible to relocate, but wanted to apply because I have been watching for an opening at a company I would enjoy for many years - but had been told by my realtor there was no way I could sell my house until the sewer line was put in (May 2014 ETA!)

So I felt it was a "failed will save" because there was no way when I sent my application that I could move to the Redmond area.

As soon as I emailed in my resume I called family, told them my crazy idea and someone I know in Bothell's neighbor moved out days ago of their affordable home, another family member wants to move into my house and rent it from me and a friend in Bothell wants her old job back as my nanny and offered her home to me until I could get moved into said apartment if I was offered the job. Then I got a call from my neighbors saying the sewer contractor was able to bump our sewer line to July 2013 last night!


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Wait, I'm confused.

Don't you once per week just roll a d20, add your bonuses, and look up the Profession skill rules to see how much you made as a company?


Arnwyn wrote:


Could be:
Moving away from friends/family just to work at Paizo
- Taking a (possibly significant) pay cut just to work at Paizo
- Future education plans (e.g. CPA training) being put on hold just to work at Paizo

The list goes on...

This list is pretty close too - I'm guessing Arnwyn must study accounting. In general it is recommended that you only work part time and have NO LIFE for at least a year if you even hope to pass the CPA and that is assuming you have enrolled in an online review course that runs around a grand if you get it on sale. I wish just finishing your BA made your qualified to sit for the CPA exam and do well!

It is also non-sense that the accounting profession goes out of it's way to make people that go private seem like "lesser" accountants and that colleges don't have more accounting elective classes aimed at skills that are useful in private accounting instead of leaving graduates cold. My classmates never learned how to do payroll and those that didn't take the optional tax course didn't know how to do business tax returns!

Master of Coin

3 people marked this as a favorite.
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Is CPA training so intensive that you can't work and study simultaneously?

Work, social life, passing the CPA. Pick two.

The CPA exam has a pass rate of about 45-50% per each of the four sections. If you're not prepared, you will not pass. It's pretty common to pass two or three of the four, but you have to get all four of them to become licensed.

http://www.mncpa.org/cpa-exam/exam-facts/exam-statistics.aspx and http://www.cpaexampassrate.com/

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Nowhere in that question did I mention having a life.


In Washington state you also have to have a "5th year" of college credits and work (or have a CPA sign off on) 2000 hours under a certified CPA.


Sara Marie wrote:
So, I'm curious, for those who consider applying at Paizo a "failed will save" what do you mean by that? What makes applying at Paizo a failed saving throw?

Failing to resist the temptation.

Master of Coin

Celiwyn wrote:
In Washington state you also have to have a "5th year" of college credits and work (or have a CPA sign off on) 2000 hours under a certified CPA.

Actually, it doesn't have to be under a CPA. It has to be coordinated by a CPA, but you don't have to work under one. The wording on the state site is:

WA Board of Accountancy wrote:

The experience must:

Be obtained through the practice of public accounting and/or employment in industry or government. In certain situations employment in academia may also provide experience to obtain some or all of the competency requirements. It may also be obtained through one or more employers, with or without compensation, and may consist of a combination of full-time and part-time employment.

...

Be verified by a licensed CPA who has held a valid CPA license to practice public accounting in the state of Washington or be qualified for practice privileges for a minimum of five years prior to verifying the experience, including the date that the experience is verified. The five years do not need to be consecutive.

Silver Crusade

Chris Self wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:
Is CPA training so intensive that you can't work and study simultaneously?

Work, social life, passing the CPA. Pick two.

The CPA exam has a pass rate of about 45-50% per each of the four sections. If you're not prepared, you will not pass. It's pretty common to pass two or three of the four, but you have to get all four of them to become licensed.

http://www.mncpa.org/cpa-exam/exam-facts/exam-statistics.aspx and http://www.cpaexampassrate.com/

Although it is intense, always remember to leave a hour or two each week to do something social - otherwise you'll be totally burnt out come test time. Made that mistake my first try. Of course I took it when it was hard. All four parts at once over two days. In pencil. And grammer and legibilty counted. None of this one at a time on a computer coddling.

And I had to walk uphill through 6 feet of snow to get to the test. Both ways! :-)

Seriously, best of luck to anyone trying to pass the test. If I can do it, you can to!


sowhereaminow wrote:
If I can do it, you can to!

Appreciate that!

Chris Self wrote:
and/or employment in industry or government

Awesome! Public accounting is slim pickings in such a small villa as I reside in currently. I will follow up on that if I am not fortunate enough to gain the legendary role of "Master of Coin's Minion".

Paizo Employee

Drejk wrote:
Sara Marie wrote:
So, I'm curious, for those who consider applying at Paizo a "failed will save" what do you mean by that? What makes applying at Paizo a failed saving throw?
Failing to resist the temptation.

Pretty much this. Remember, you can choose to fail the save.

I wasn't actively looking for a job let alone relocating to the opposite corner of the country, however like others I've occasionally dreamed of working for Paizo but without much hope, having little artistic talent or game design experience. So I couldn't resist applying when a job came up that I am skilled at and would willingly relocate.


Celiwyn wrote:
This list is pretty close too - I'm guessing Arnwyn must study accounting.

Close - I am an accountant! My personal 'failed Will save' would probably be item #2...

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cheapy wrote:

Wait, I'm confused.

Don't you once per week just roll a d20, add your bonuses, and look up the Profession skill rules to see how much you made as a company?

You need a lot of accounting skill to properly add up those bonuses.

Paizo Employee Developer

We get bonuses?


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

All the pawns you can eat?

Your own weight in dice?


Kajehase wrote:

All the pawns you can eat?

Your own weight in dice?

Don't forget petting zoo.

Spoiler:
With warehouse raptors.


Raptors (even of the warehouse variety) are terrifying and I would never want to work anywhere near them.

Velociraptors can open doors; Jurassic Park taught us that.

Also, did you know that they can travel at speeds as high as 200mph on a motorcycle? These are facts that you must know in order to survive.

There are velociraptors training in another dimension with Batman as we speak, while other velociraptors are wearing lab-coats and trying to figure out how to invade our dimension utilizing complicated mathematics and riding super rad hoverboards.

If you guys really do have warehouse raptors, I will NOT be submitting a resume.

Master of Coin

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Thank you to all who applied. This position has been filled.

Don't let that stop the discussion going on here, though!


Who's the misleaded slave... Lucky chosen one, I mean ;)

The Exchange

Chris Self wrote:

Thank you to all who applied. This position has been filled.

Don't let that stop the discussion going on here, though!

Congrats to whomever is the new minion of coin.

Grand Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber
Chris Self wrote:

Hey all. I have an upcoming opening for a staff accountant. This is a support position to the senior finance and accounting staff (that would be yours truly), and requires strong data entry skills along with a knowledge of accounting procedures.

As always with Paizo jobs, the posting can be found on the Paizo jobs page.

If you are interested in the position, send in your resume sooner rather than later!

A responsibility of the role left off of the job description is you are also required to play a cleric of Abadar and manage the party loot in the in house campaign.


Vic Wertz wrote:
Cheapy wrote:

Wait, I'm confused.

Don't you once per week just roll a d20, add your bonuses, and look up the Profession skill rules to see how much you made as a company?

You need a lot of accounting skill to properly add up those bonuses.

or a weighted die

Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Paizo Job Opportunity: Staff Accountant All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.