Hardcover spell compendium?


Product Discussion

Shadow Lodge

Wondering if Paizo ever considered producing a hardcover spell compendium? It wouldn't negate having books beyond the CRB but it would sure make a caster's life easier at the table while retaining the positively delightful feeling of sifting through a Paizo Tome for reference magika. :)

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

They need a hardcover compendium. With at least 500 new spells.

Sections can be devoted to each school and sub-school of magic, including the elemental schools and alternate elements.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Too early IMO

Liberty's Edge

I think compendiums are great at the end of a product cycle and I would like to think that Paizo hasn't finished taking money from me yet. Do compendiums too early and you end up no better off as you will have to carry multiple compendiums about.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

No different than bestiaries.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Call it a Grimoire!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm still waiting for my book about magic. Ultimate Magic was nice, but it didn't quite scratch the itch.

Pathfinder is a life raft for a unique, quirky, and historic fictional magic tradition.

As much as it pervades every aspect of every Pathfinder campaign, very little is actually said about the metaphysics that drive the whole thing. This may be intentional, but I think there's room for a book that really deals with the hows and whys of spell-slots, why spells are the way they are, how people in the world discuss these perceivable game phenomena, and so forth.

And it should have a bunch of spells. And it should be called a Grimoire, because frankly that would just look correct on the shelf next to "Bestiary".

I've been pushing for this for years now. They've made all the other books I wanted: NPC Codex, Treasury (Ultimate Equipment if you must), Gamemastery Guide... I want my Grimoire!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

If Ultimate Equipment and an "Ultimate Spells" in the same manner serve as a precursor to a "Core Rulebook Lite" that omits the sections on magic items and spells, then I would be all for it.

Liberty's Edge

I like the idea of an Ultimate Spells! Rock on just please watch the brokeness that was the 3.5 Spell Compendium

Scarab Sages

I don't want broken.

I want the ability to take spells that suit by school of magic and archetype.

If I play a Nidal Shadowcaster the selection of spells with the darkness or shadow subtypes in very limited. Give me viable options for spells at each level. Perhaps Chains of Night, Plague of Darkness, and Shadowarmor

If I want to play a wizard that focuses on acid damage, give me the spells Acid blast, Acid Ball and Acid Blade

I could spout ideas all day....


If you've got Word, Publisher or Acrobat you can make your own PDF of spells and print it out. You can even publish it online for free under the community use license.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Artanthos wrote:


If I want to play a wizard that focuses on acid damage, give me the spells Acid blast, Acid Ball and Acid Blade

I could spout ideas all day....

Aren't these already covered by spell research? Acid Ball = Fire Ball but with acid damage rather than fire? Actually if I was GM and you agreed to theme ALL 'fire' spells as 'acid' I would just let you have it.

S.


Why be boring and just reflavor existing spells (that's what certain metamagic feats are for)? Research things like "Acid Rain" or "Transmute Blood to Acid" or other fun stuff!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

While I would love to see Ultimate Grimoire as well, Paizo has to walk a fine line between reprinting previous material and new stuff. For every person that would be willing to pay for the convenience of having spells in one volume, there's going to be another person griping about "I already have this, why should I buy this?"

If they set it up like Ultimate Equipment, breaking each school into its own section, that would be terrific and an invaluable resource for players and DMs alike. I would definitely buy! :)

The Pale :)


The Pale Grin wrote:
For every person that would be willing to pay for the convenience of having spells in one volume, there's going to be another person griping about "I already have this, why should I buy this?"

Very true (I'm actually one of those people).

That's the reason I mentioned I would be all for something like this if that also meant a reprint of the Core Rulebook without the magic items and spells sections (which is what I think the CRB should have been in the first place; rules in one book, items and spells in a second book).

Without that "CRB Lite" added, I might not buy this book (just like I have yet to buy Ultimate Equipment). But if that is added, I will buy all three books in an instant, simply because that will make things easier at the table.

(I will probably buy UE eventually anyway, so take this for what you think it's worth!)

Sovereign Court

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
Are wrote:
That's the reason I mentioned I would be all for something like this if that also meant a reprint of the Core Rulebook without the magic items and spells sections (which is what I think the CRB should have been in the first place; rules in one book, items and spells in a second book).

I think this is a good point you could sell me two more books this way.

Hopefully by reducing the size of the CRB the backings will hold up better as well.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Anburaid wrote:
Call it a Grimoire!

The Grimorum Arcanorum?


ooohhhh please make this happens!!

I love the Ultimate Equipment (even with its failed random weapon list at the treasures charts!!)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

A Grimoire/Ultimate Spells would certainly be very useful at the table (instead of paging through four different books).

I'm also interested in the "CR Lite" (without spells and treasure) concept. My poor CRB is falling apart ... :(

Shadow Lodge

Jester David wrote:
Anburaid wrote:
Call it a Grimoire!
The Grimorum Arcanorum?

We don't talk about that. ;)


i want this happen indeed!!

Yesterday, in my house, one of my childhood friends came at my place because he show a lot of interest in Pathfinder RPG (he knows we have played since 1999, but he doesnt have any interest), so, he foun some article at the internet and decides to give a try.

I print for him one Dyslexic Studeous Sheet which are the best sheets i have seen ever http://charactersheets.minotaur.cc/

so, he creates a Human/Bard... 3+hours explaining him how the class works, and never lose the interest on it, when the moment for the spells comes... we dive into a lot of books, OGC, and so, searching for spells!!


Evil Lincoln wrote:

I'm still waiting for my book about magic. Ultimate Magic was nice, but it didn't quite scratch the itch.

Pathfinder is a life raft for a unique, quirky, and historic fictional magic tradition.

As much as it pervades every aspect of every Pathfinder campaign, very little is actually said about the metaphysics that drive the whole thing. This may be intentional, but I think there's room for a book that really deals with the hows and whys of spell-slots, why spells are the way they are, how people in the world discuss these perceivable game phenomena, and so forth.

And it should have a bunch of spells. And it should be called a Grimoire, because frankly that would just look correct on the shelf next to "Bestiary".

I've been pushing for this for years now. They've made all the other books I wanted: NPC Codex, Treasury (Ultimate Equipment if you must), Gamemastery Guide... I want my Grimoire!

I think that inner sea magic has some of the info you want.

Scarab Sages

Stefan Hill wrote:
Artanthos wrote:


If I want to play a wizard that focuses on acid damage, give me the spells Acid blast, Acid Ball and Acid Blade

I could spout ideas all day....

Aren't these already covered by spell research? Acid Ball = Fire Ball but with acid damage rather than fire? Actually if I was GM and you agreed to theme ALL 'fire' spells as 'acid' I would just let you have it.

S.

Buri wrote:
If you've got Word, Publisher or Acrobat you can make your own PDF of spells and print it out. You can even publish it online for free under the community use license.

What are the rules for 3PP products and spell research in PFS?

tonyz wrote:
Why be boring and just reflavor existing spells (that's what certain metamagic feats are for)? Research things like "Acid Rain" or "Transmute Blood to Acid" or other fun stuff!

Today if I want to build a wizard focusing on fire or ice spells I could do so with minimal difficulty. If I wanted to build a wizard focusing on acid or shadow spells the pickings are rather slim unless I want to accept a +1 level increase in the majority of my spells. Even then, many of the spells will be lacking in flavor.

I'm not asking for spells that are better than existing options. I am asking for spells that are more diverse than existing options, allowing me more opportunity to tailor my spell list to fit character concept.

Are wrote:
That's the reason I mentioned I would be all for something like this if that also meant a reprint of the Core Rulebook without the magic items and spells sections (which is what I think the CRB should have been in the first place; rules in one book, items and spells in a second book).

I would purchase a CRB lite if the Grimoire Magick were published. I'm already carrying my UE to game and it would reduce wear and tear on my poor CRB's binding.


For PFS you'd still need to own the original source. It's Paizo's way to make sure they stay in the black at least for "official" events. If they released an Ultimate Spell book that would likely cover it, of course.

Shadow Lodge

Quote:
What are the rules for 3PP products and spell research in PFS?

No 3PP period.

Probably no spell research either, since crafting's not allowed I imagine that goes the same for writing new spells.


leo1925 wrote:
Evil Lincoln wrote:

I'm still waiting for my book about magic. Ultimate Magic was nice, but it didn't quite scratch the itch.

Pathfinder is a life raft for a unique, quirky, and historic fictional magic tradition.

As much as it pervades every aspect of every Pathfinder campaign, very little is actually said about the metaphysics that drive the whole thing. This may be intentional, but I think there's room for a book that really deals with the hows and whys of spell-slots, why spells are the way they are, how people in the world discuss these perceivable game phenomena, and so forth.

And it should have a bunch of spells. And it should be called a Grimoire, because frankly that would just look correct on the shelf next to "Bestiary".

I've been pushing for this for years now. They've made all the other books I wanted: NPC Codex, Treasury (Ultimate Equipment if you must), Gamemastery Guide... I want my Grimoire!

I think that inner sea magic has some of the info you want.

Bought it, loved it, want more.

What I really want is a lavishly illustrated book of spells and magical theory; the book that would make the "Dark Dungeons" panicky parents completely flip out.

I mean, *I* know that magic is not real, and such a book would just be a thrilling read for a hobbyist. But I want *them* to be fooled.

Owner - House of Books and Games LLC

I'm 100% with ya, Lincoln, in wanting a book about theory of magic.

But what I want, even more, is to have the scads and scads of spells scattered about modules, rulebooks, player companions, and the like to be finally located in one place.

Sure, I get that it'll get out of date. So will Ultimate Equipment. Doesn't make it not useful, that's for darn sure, and I'd rather have one book that I can just look in than some sort of index that tells me which book the spell is in, which I then have to determine if I'm carrying (I won't be), etc.

The iPad is okay for this, but frankly it's slow and still amounts to a second or third order lookup for the info I wasnt.

For all its flaws, the Spell Compendium was an awesome resource, and I really do want to see the equivalent for Pathfinder.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

NECROOOOO !

now that PF1 is mostly over, how about a spell compendium ?
there will be no more addition .

(and a class compendium, a feat compendium, archetype, ...)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Not going to happen. It's 2019, you have all PF spells at Archives of Nethys and d20pfsrd. Compendiums made sense for WotC when D&D was closed content, it doesn't for Paizo.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
Not going to happen. It's 2019, you have all PF spells at Archives of Nethys and d20pfsrd. Compendiums made sense for WotC when D&D was closed content, it doesn't for Paizo.

It's 2019

I stopped giving my money to Paizo when they made it clear they were no longer supporting the game system I enjoy. All of my purchases are now 3pp, through the 3pp's website.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

here is the spell DB that kyle uses for CombatMaanger
use css file in conjunction with the fulltext field to get pathfinder styled html

plenty of stuff to sort on

spells https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cuwb3QSvWDD7GG5McdvyyRBpqycYuKMRsXgyrvxvL FI
PS css https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yVmAcW_o8kEhbLwJGh4vUZ0sIOx2-cVb5EfilmWmj m4


A spell compendium would be nice, but Paizo's made it clear they aren't continuing with Pathfinder 1 content.

With the OGL, a 3PP could take on the project through Kickstarter. It would take a Tome of Horrors-sized hardback to collect everything Paizo has put in the Companion and Settings books over the years.

If someone did it, I'd probably buy it.

I'm not abandoning Paizo, as I plan to keep purchasing pawns and maps from them. I'll probably convert second edition adventures, as well. Paizo adventures are so good that they deserve to be in the best edition of the world's greatest role-playing game.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Paizo Products / Product Discussion / Hardcover spell compendium? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Product Discussion