GM Rewards at Star Tiers


GM Discussion

51 to 100 of 296 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
The Exchange 5/5

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Here are my thoughts: While a rewards system beyond what’s been established is attractive, we have to face reality. Paizo has gotten where it is today by being tight-fisted. With John Compton being brought aboard as a PFS Developer, I am encouraged that the campaign is providing Paizo with a return on its investment. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean we should expect free merchandise and product discounts to follow. The company finances are the first hurdle. Next comes the time it will take an employee to develop the system and weight the rewards. Finally, and I don’t think this point has been raised yet, is the tendency of gamers to game the system. “I can get a 15% discount on PFS product if I GM 30 scenarios? And the PFS session reporting system has no identity verification capability? Time to make some ghost accounts and get me a discount!” Any rewards system that grants boons, merchandise or store credit is going to be abused. The only way to curb abuse is a more stringent reporting system, which may cost Paizo more than it’s worth.

Let’s say Paizo accepts that the rewards system will be abused. Those exclusive boons you want for GMing 60 scenarios? You’ll be able to buy them on e-Bay a month after the rewards program starts. Yes, that does happen already, but I’d anticipate it becomes widespread with a program where all you provide is an e-mail account and a birthday. Sorry for being so cynical.

I’ve gotten my rewards already. You know what motivates me? Recognition from my peers. I was the first 5-Star GM, the only one for a full year. I was one of the first 13 Venture-Captains created. I was Paizo’s Volunteer of the Year for 2011. I don’t need any more incentives to GM, I feel like I need to pay Paizo back for all the esteem I have received. Just as we all have our own idea of what makes a fun scenario, we all have our own personal motivators was well. Paizo found mine with the Star system. I can buy merchandise if I want it, I don’t need store credit. I think boons are a nice touch, but race boons are just making the campaign into a cartoon. There’s not anything that Paizo could give me as a reward me beyond saying ‘thank you’. Unless they grant my wish to prevent Dragnmoon from ever hitting 5-Stars ;-) Therefore my views aren’t really relevant to this thread, other than to shoot down other people’s ideas, which is why the internet was made.

5/5

Grolick wrote:
What if there were some scenarios that were ONLY available to like 4&5 star people ever? Not like the EX ones that will eventually be available, but ones that will never be released to the general public?

There are plenty of areas that do not have a 4 or 5 star GM, particularly as PFS continues to expand worldwide. The single EX scenario per year is enough effort (Paizo development time) spent on exclusive content IMO.

I am certainly not against rewards for GM stars though. Having any new PFS-specific PDFs such as the Field Guide free for 4-5 star GMs does seem like a good idea to me. The audience is small enough it shouldn't cost Paizo too much in lost sales while providing a nice reward for those who will get lots of benefit from it.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston

Doug: I think it's great that you feel so strongly about GMming and the star system, and I feel much the same way. I'm eagerly counting the number of tables [12 more!] before I hit that third star. However, we have to face the reality that is the dearth of GMs that many regions experience. My lodge has 2 people that I would consider to primarily be GMs. That was great until we started running at 3 tables per week. Now a lot of other people are stepping up to GM - also great, but it would be better if we could get more committed GMs to run more regularly. Unfortunately, the human mind being what it is, that often means incentives, and most GMs that I know couldn't tell you how close they are to their next star or how many stars they have.

So, let's look at the boon idea, which I think is the most workable of them all. I agree with you that boons would likely show up on eBay if they were granted to every GM without any sort of restriction. However, we do have a system in place for the personalization of PDFs. If we assume, as I think is logical, that these boons could be placed in the download folder already marked with the GM's name and PFS number, it would cut down on abuse. While it could still be doctored, it would be obvious to people that player X hasn't GMmed enough to get Y boon. It also offers more stringent regulations than the current boon system, which is easily photocopied.

As far as what boons are available, perhaps the tri-race boon is too much. I like the idea of granting vanities - possibly even titles that are not normally purchasable with PP. Perhaps a free resurrection for a character marked permanently dead at each star level. There are also other boons that have recently been given out that are quite nice - Treasure Map and the Shoanti Clan boons stick out in my mind.

Sovereign Court 5/5 Owner - Enchanted Grounds, President/Owner - Enchanted Grounds

Doug Miles wrote:
Paizo has gotten where it is today by being tight-fisted. With John Compton being brought aboard as a PFS Developer, I am encouraged that the campaign is providing Paizo with a return on its investment.

Doug, they've been the #1 selling RPG on the market for the better part of two years. I can give you actual numbers for Paizo sales at my store, and I know there are thousands of stores that carry the product. Moreover, every time I purchase something from their online store (about once a month) the ticket number has moved ahead by 10s of thousands.

There comes a point where you have to stop being tight-fisted and start being the industry leader.

Just ask Microsoft, Apple, Starbucks, Sony, etc.

And they're making steps; don't get me wrong. Co-sponsors for GenCon, expanding Paizocon, creating new gaming companies, and making new moves into proven markets.

Now it is time for them to start creating more Doug Mileses. Seeing as you were the 1st of many different things, those avenues are no longer available. But showing appreciation via various methods (some of which people have even offered to PAY FOR) will create legions of people like you, who appreciate what Paizo has done for them and will continue pushing the Paizo experience.

The Exchange 5/5

Drogon, I've always admired your clear-minded posts and I can't argue with you on this one.

Sovereign Court 5/5 Owner - Enchanted Grounds, President/Owner - Enchanted Grounds

Doug Miles wrote:
Drogon, I've always admired your clear-minded posts and I can't argue with you on this one.

Thank you, sir.

I've always admired your dedication to this company and your deft touch with PFS. I want to see a lot more people like you.

Shadow Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—San Francisco Bay Area South & West

Doug Miles wrote:
I think boons are a nice touch, but race boons are just making the campaign into a cartoon.

Well, that train's already left the station. By now the player expectations have been pretty clearly set; they expect this year's restricted races (Kitsune, Wayang & Nagaji) to become freely available around the time of GenCon, much as the Aasimar, Tiefling and Tengu were opened up this year, and for this pattern to continue.

If Paizo don't do that I'd expect there to be quite a few complaints, including those from people who felt they had somehow been tricked into buying the APG (even though Paizo have never promised anything). So I don't see offering a race boon as a GM incentive as making things worse. In fact you could even argue it makes things slightly better, by delaying the inevitable opening of the floodgates for another few months.

2/5

(non-cynical) *sniffle, sniffle*

As much as GMs support the system, I don't think it's reasonable to expect Paizo to offer monetary awards. The fact the system could get exploited makes it even less appealing.

T-Shirts are pretty cheap to develop (given they already have lots of cool artwork on hand), and if we're buying them, Paizo can break even and we get happy points.
Other items might be similar.
I think it'd be neat to wear my stars on my sleeve. :)
(Okay, I have no stars, but I'm almost there.)

Even cheaper for Paizo, I like the idea mentioned above of having myself as a villain or NPC.
Even more, I like the idea of one of my PCs being an NPC (or reconstructed into a villain).
"Isn't your Dwarf named Festin? I just fought a guy named Festin."
"Umm...if he killed you...no. Not at all."
Minimal cost, lots of happy points, and a very unique reward.

Early access to product would be neat, or even trial versions of products to give feedback on development. Who better to playtest than veteran GMs?

The Exchange 4/5 5/5 *

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Mike Lindner wrote:
Grolick wrote:
What if there were some scenarios that were ONLY available to like 4&5 star people ever? Not like the EX ones that will eventually be available, but ones that will never be released to the general public?

There are plenty of areas that do not have a 4 or 5 star GM, particularly as PFS continues to expand worldwide. The single EX scenario per year is enough effort (Paizo development time) spent on exclusive content IMO.

I am certainly not against rewards for GM stars though. Having any new PFS-specific PDFs such as the Field Guide free for 4-5 star GMs does seem like a good idea to me. The audience is small enough it shouldn't cost Paizo too much in lost sales while providing a nice reward for those who will get lots of benefit from it.

I do realize what you re all saying in regards to this, but I guess I was thinking that cool stuff would make people strive for achieving those stars so that all areas could eventually have them. Obviously it takes a long time to get 4 stars. I've been stuck at one for ages, but real life happens....

5/5

Doug Miles wrote:
“I can get a 15% discount on PFS product if I GM 30 scenarios? And the PFS session reporting system has no identity verification capability? Time to make some ghost accounts and get me a discount!” ... Those exclusive boons you want for GMing 60 scenarios? You’ll be able to buy them on e-Bay a month after the rewards program starts.

Okay, these are both good points. So maybe we should go back to the idea of things "unlocking" for regular play as your star count goes up, which will at the very least force people to play under the PFS# that they reported their GM sessions on.

Cheaters gonna cheat, no doubt about it. But that'll always be the case.

Drogon wrote:
There comes a point where you have to stop being tight-fisted and start being the industry leader.

This is also a compelling point. I don't know what their sales numbers look like, obviously, but they are top dog right now. Maybe this is exactly the time to try new stuff and see what happens.

Liberty's Edge 1/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I GM because I enjoy it and really don't expect anything in return. The star system was nice. Like previously mentioned, everyone is motivated by different things so finding one preferred method to reward/incent will most likely be impossible.

I like the idea of having access to a special shirt that I buy at a reasonable cost, or some item I can purchase that recognizes my achievements. I don't need discounts on products because I already get one thanks to my current subscriptions. Anything we are given is a bonus and should be viewed as a gift anyway.

Grand Lodge 4/5

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Our home group has 3 PFS GMs. I have 3 stars and we have another with 1 star and a third which has 0 stars but is fast approaching his 1st star. None of us have run for a convention or gameday but rather for our local group with about 7 core players and 10-12 sometimes players.
It has taken me three years to get to three stars. In that time I have run 48 scenarios, 4 modules and 3 AP sections. As the primary GM for our home group, that is where I have picked up all of my credit. I started playing at the beginning of Season 1 at Gen Con. Most of my player credit has come from there and a few local cons and sometimes with the home group.

The first year with PFS, starting in April 2010, was getting the feet wet with organized play and getting my players to accept the concept. I only ran 9 scenarios during those first 12 months.

The next 12 months I ran 25 scenarios (1 online) and a module. We also had a second GM run We Be Goblins! and 4 scenarios.

These last 12 months I have run 14 scenarios (1 online), 3 modules and 3 AP sections. The second GM has run a module and 2 scenarios and a third GM has run 7 scenarios.

It will likely take another year or probably closer to two to make it to 4 stars. By that point my other two GMs may make two stars. We also play other non-PFS games, both Pathfinder and other systems. It just seems like 5 years is a long time to wait to feel any incentive for reaching 4 stars. Any reward system seems like it would be better that what is in place currently.

Regardless of any change to the reward systemwe will still keep playing but it would be nice if there was sometime more for the efforts of the GMs which make it so folks can play.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The more I think about it, the more I like the ressurrection idea. Think about it: A free ressurrection for a permanently dead at each GM star level is hardly game-breaking, but it is something that no player has access to otherwise. I think this strikes a very nice game balance and would make people want to GM. It would also probably attract more roleplay-heavy GMs, as players who don't care much about roleplay just scratch the name off of their build and make a new one at level 1.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/55/5 **

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Doug Miles wrote:
Unless they grant my wish to prevent Dragnmoon from ever hitting 5-Stars ;-)

Sorry I don't think Paizo is in the wish granting business...

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/55/5 **

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Drogon wrote:
Now it is time for them to start creating more Doug Mileses.

We also need more:

Chrises
Kyles
Theas
Mikes
Erics
Pratts
Todds
Drogons

We don't need more Bobs...;)

Sovereign Court 5/5 Owner - Enchanted Grounds, President/Owner - Enchanted Grounds

Dragnmoon wrote:
Drogon wrote:
Now it is time for them to start creating more Doug Mileses.

We also need more:

Chrises
Kyles
Theas
Mikes
Erics
Pratts
Todds
Drogons

We don't need more Bobs...;)

Wow...I made a list?

Thanks, man.

5/5

Netopalis wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I like the ressurrection idea. Think about it: A free ressurrection for a permanently dead at each GM star level is hardly game-breaking, but it is something that no player has access to otherwise. I think this strikes a very nice game balance and would make people want to GM. It would also probably attract more roleplay-heavy GMs, as players who don't care much about roleplay just scratch the name off of their build and make a new one at level 1.

This is pretty solid. I would be good with it.

Silver Crusade 4/5

I like the idea of boons for GM star levels. The whole idea is to find something that will attract players who don't already GM to try it, and stick with it long enough to get the prize. Race boons would definitely accomplish that. Even some non-race boons, like the one that lets you take a third trait at character creation as long as it's from a particular book, would be good for that.

3/5

I do not think it should be anything that costs anything. Honestly I think boons sent to the players that DM x amount of games in X amoutn of time. So crazy DMing people should get con boons. Since they are supporting the product like a con. I do not think it should also be wrapped aroudn the stars because at 4 stars in stops. I honestly would say x games in x time.

Shadow Lodge 2/5

Patrick Harris @ SD wrote:
Netopalis wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I like the ressurrection idea. Think about it: A free ressurrection for a permanently dead at each GM star level is hardly game-breaking, but it is something that no player has access to otherwise. I think this strikes a very nice game balance and would make people want to GM. It would also probably attract more roleplay-heavy GMs, as players who don't care much about roleplay just scratch the name off of their build and make a new one at level 1.
This is pretty solid. I would be good with it.

+1 from me. This is a solid benefit with limited use, no cost, and it's something that people would really love to have, especially when you die multiple times in a scenario or die before you can get together the prestige for that character you've just started to love.

The Exchange 2/5

Quote:

Castilliano

T-Shirts are pretty cheap to develop
I think it'd be neat to wear my stars on my sleeve. :)
Quote:

Howie23

Vests with badges, pins, etc

Did anyone else get a picture in their mind of all the GMs with one or more stars walking around in army jackets with their star amounts on their shoulders and pins from various cons on their chests?

no? just me?

Quote:

Netopalis

The more I think about it, the more I like the ressurrection idea. Think about it: A free ressurrection for a permanently dead at each GM star level is hardly game-breaking, but it is something that no player has access to otherwise. I think this strikes a very nice game balance and would make people want to GM. It would also probably attract more roleplay-heavy GMs, as players who don't care much about roleplay just scratch the name off of their build and make a new one at level 1.
This is pretty solid. I would be good with it.

This is a great idea. And while I side with Doug on the fact that I as a GM don't really need or want anything to incentivise me to GM more. But this would be a great idea to get some new GMs to want to get their feet wet and keep going with it. While the system can and most likely will be abused at some point or another, it may help to grow the PFS community with a influx of new GMs may also help bring a influx of more players as well.


Actually, I was thinking of that guy, Brian, who worked at Chotchkie's in Office Space... The guy with 37 pieces of flair.

Yeah, that.

3/5

I disagree with the free ressurrection that is a very expensive item to give someone. Granted DMing is a needed thing. I think it is too much. I think they should get something more rare and thoughtful. A free rez seems cheap and an easy answer. An email from Mr. Brock or your VC noticing the effort you put in and getting you a con boon would be much better. Plus it would solve the problem of people not getting boons other than at cons while still rewarding people for promoting the game. I would give Mr. Mortika whatever boon he wanted for GMing 120 some games in a year. Those are your work horses.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston

Finlanderboy wrote:
I disagree with the free ressurrection that is a very expensive item to give someone. Granted DMing is a needed thing. I think it is too much. I think they should get something more rare and thoughtful. A free rez seems cheap and an easy answer. An email from Mr. Brock or your VC noticing the effort you put in and getting you a con boon would be much better. Plus it would solve the problem of people not getting boons other than at cons while still rewarding people for promoting the game. I would give Mr. Mortika whatever boon he wanted for GMing 120 some games in a year. Those are your work horses.

A free resurrection, though, is unlike an item in that it does not make your character more powerful - it simply brings them back to the status quo. Yes it is expensive, but given that it has no effect on power balance and that it takes commitment to even get 2 of them, that's not that much to ask. It's certainly less game-breaking than a race boon, IMHO.

3/5

I think it is more game breaking for the resurrection. The races are generally built to be equal. Allowing someone a race boon that other people got a con is not game breakign either. The free Rez is worth a ton.

For me recognition is more important. I would rather have someone step aside and say hey Derek, that was great what you have done those last few months. I got you this boon because you did awesome.

Then you could show people and be proud of what you did to help the gaming community, and that the community recognizes you.

Even the free resurrection should be presented in a similar format. If I was a VC/VL. I would definately try to keep tabs on my workhorse DMs and make a point to honor them. I am sure the best ones do.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston

Finlanderboy wrote:

I think it is more game breaking for the resurrection. The races are generally built to be equal. Allowing someone a race boon that other people got a con is not game breakign either. The free Rez is worth a ton.

For me recognition is more important. I would rather have someone step aside and say hey Derek, that was great what you have done those last few months. I got you this boon because you did awesome.

Then you could show people and be proud of what you did to help the gaming community, and that the community recognizes you.

Even the free resurrection should be presented in a similar format. If I was a VC/VL. I would definately try to keep tabs on my workhorse DMs and make a point to honor them. I am sure the best ones do.

Sure, but we already get bragging rights. Bragging rights aren't enough for some people, and frankly, it's rather difficult to go around as a GM and show off your stars without coming off as a dick. Free resurrection, while an expensive in-game effect, provides no value to a PC. Often times, it will be used to regenerate interesting low level characters that could easily be replicated with GM credit were it not for the stigma attached to building a new PC with the same personality as a deceased one. High level characters simply don't need this, as they are at a sufficiently high level where the condition can be cleared.

Shadow Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—San Francisco Bay Area South & West

Finlanderboy wrote:
For me recognition is more important. I would rather have someone step aside and say hey Derek, that was great what you have done those last few months. I got you this boon because you did awesome.

I don't see the necessity for a connection.

I've got a Kitsune character because I got a race boon for GMing multiple tables at a convention. That's nice.

I've also had recognition - at another convention one player took the time to go up to the main PFS desk and let the event organizer know just how much fun it had been playing at my table. For me, that's nicer because it was totally unexpected. I don't have anything tangible to show for it, but that's not important.

3/5

I understand with your point. But for some people to bust out their kitsune character and when asked about it say "Ya [insert local VC], saw how much I contributed to our gaming community got the boon for me." is a huge thing as well.

Idividual players going out of their way to say they loved your table is one thing(and it is awesome). I am refering to the PFS management to recognizing it as well.

Infact if someone(s) did not appreciated my GMing I would stop GMing for them.

The Exchange 2/5

Finlanderboy wrote:

I understand with your point. But for some people to bust out their kitsune character and when asked about it say "Ya [insert local VC], saw how much I contributed to our gaming community got the boon for me." is a huge thing as well.

Idividual players going out of their way to say they loved your table is one thing(and it is awesome). I am refering to the PFS management to recognizing it as well.

Infact if someone(s) did not appreciated my GMing I would stop GMing for them.

Recognition is not measured in how many nifty boons you can aquire. i think most people do appreciate the time and effort you put into GMing, and for running a fun game, but a simple "Thanks for running the game it was a lot of fun" is really anyone should need. Your approach may come off to some people as "look my shiny toy that you can't play with" while not a bad idea just some people don't like not being on a even footing as everyone else.

Liberty's Edge 2/5

I'm happy with a "Thank you" from my players and the prestige of seeing the star beside my name. I'm still looking forward to getting that second star. I'm not really opposed to GM star rewards, but I'm also quite satisfied with the system as it is.

To me it was generous of the PFS powers that be to start giving us Con boons and other such things. But that's just my opinion. I do agree that if any new incentives were to be given they shouldn't cost Paizo anything, though, and I think Drogon makes a good point in stating that we could do well to boost our supply of great GMs.

Scarab Sages 4/5

Netopalis wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I like the ressurrection idea. Think about it: A free ressurrection for a permanently dead at each GM star level is hardly game-breaking, but it is something that no player has access to otherwise. I think this strikes a very nice game balance and would make people want to GM. It would also probably attract more roleplay-heavy GMs, as players who don't care much about roleplay just scratch the name off of their build and make a new one at level 1.

+1

To add another option, what about having one of your characters get written into the story at some point? a 5 or 5+ star reward. Not a prominent role, but perhaps a minor lodge VC some where, or a friend of the society in retirement helping out in a scenario.

Silver Crusade 4/5

Brett Cochran wrote:

+1

To add another option, what about having one of your characters get written into the story at some point? a 5 or 5+ star reward. Not a prominent role, but perhaps a minor lodge VC some where, or a friend of the society in retirement helping out in a scenario.

I approve of a write-in. Which Pathfinder Society character doesn't?

5/5 5/55/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

How about prestige point award boon to a character of your choice, it can be used to replace spent prestige points but will not allow PP to go over your fame score.

It would also be cool if GM's were allowed an option to apply credits at Slow to the characters without the character having to take a whole level at medium or slow. This is especailly relvant for modules. For me I'm finding I don't want to GM as much because I want to play my characters full XP and apply GM XP at half. I want some credit for GMing but at that same time I'm pulled by decisions of characters I want to play going up to fast.

Shadow Lodge 2/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lady Ophelia wrote:
Brett Cochran wrote:

+1

To add another option, what about having one of your characters get written into the story at some point? a 5 or 5+ star reward. Not a prominent role, but perhaps a minor lodge VC some where, or a friend of the society in retirement helping out in a scenario.

I approve of a write-in. Which Pathfinder Society character doesn't?

I would hate fighting most of my characters as a boss... or even as a mook with prep time. I can just see it now...

PC: I walk into the room. Do I see anything?
GM: Nope. Make me a Fort save as a weird scaly person bites you, and take a -4 on the save. Oh, and her imp is pointing a wand at you- roll twice and take the worst. Failed? You're poisoned- take a d4 of Con damage for the next 8 rounds. Next turn, someone can make me 2 will saves to not get Dominated.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 ***

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Sesharan wrote:
Lady Ophelia wrote:
Brett Cochran wrote:

+1

To add another option, what about having one of your characters get written into the story at some point? a 5 or 5+ star reward. Not a prominent role, but perhaps a minor lodge VC some where, or a friend of the society in retirement helping out in a scenario.

I approve of a write-in. Which Pathfinder Society character doesn't?

I would hate fighting most of my characters as a boss... or even as a mook with prep time. I can just see it now...

PC: I walk into the room. Do I see anything?
GM: Nope. Make me a Fort save as a weird scaly person bites you, and take a -4 on the save. Oh, and her imp is pointing a wand at you- roll twice and take the worst. Failed? You're poisoned- take a d4 of Con damage for the next 8 rounds. Next turn, someone can make me 2 will saves to not get Dominated.

Oh man, totally making a new thread for this. This sounds funny.

Dark Archive 3/5 **

Am I the only one who remembers the glory days of RPGA points/levels and the perks you got for them? I still have product (including a very special over-sized dice prop that Paizo owns the flavor of as IP) that I earned as rewards for running games. Point being, tangible rewards has been done before and it's worked without breaking the game.

Ideas I've seen and like so far:
Bling. I think pins related to each season of play would be awesome. Perhaps a basic one for X number of tables in credit GM'd a season. Others for getting 4 & 5 Star. Perhaps a special one for maintaining those star levels status wise each season. In theory, the pins are awarded post-season, meaning Paizo only orders the number they will actually need. Runs into a cost/postage problem in terms of labor, though.

Boons.I like these because they are something that both already exists and that is already done. A lot of big game days and conventions in my area use boons as GM rewards. The specifics of this, like bling, should be tied to activity on a season-by-season basis. I would make any new boon creation that is GM-reward specific minimal to avoid word-count labor issues. Same cost/postage/delivery problem as bling, though. I've very hesitant to have these be digital in any form due to likelihood for abuse.

Coupons.Paizo already does things like give out discount coupons at PaizoCon and at the holidays; I don't think asking for some small ones with clear time periods for use for people who GM X number of tables each season. Books are expensive, and PFS is a demographic you can reliably expect to buy them. Avoids the abuse problem of digital distribution through the joys of single use, time limited coupon codes.

Things I Don't Like:
Write Ins.Yes, it's a nice nerd moment. But we have 24 scenarios a season. 26 if you include the special and the grand convocation. Unless 5 Stars is the threshold here, we're talking inevitable waitlisting into oblivion. Further, you're asking writers to fit in PCs that sometimes just don't fit the scenario. You're asking them to add more to the word count. We know from faction missions that trying to force more elements in detracts from the story/scenario. Plus, the inevitable arguments about the PC not being written correctly and the consuming task of working with the writer as to the PC's personality, etc. tl;dr Please Don't Do This.

Free Resurrection. This sounds great in practice. Until you have people who begin aggressively pursuing GM spots to get a beloved PC back. I don't want people GMing because they need their PC alive again. I want them GMing because they enjoy it and there are some fringe benefits to doing so that help them feel appreciated (but aren't the whole reason they do it).

The Exchange 4/5 5/5 *

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Boons might not be such a bad idea, depending on what they are. But they should be ones that never get released to the general public or they won't be "Special" anymore.

Shadow Lodge 2/5

Grolick wrote:
Boons might not be such a bad idea, depending on what they are. But they should be ones that never get released to the general public or they won't be "Special" anymore.

I think I'm going to respectfully disagree. It seems to me that having things be "special" and "for GMs only" just results in a lot of bad feeling and complaining on the forums.

4/5

Would I like GM awards? Yes.

I spend a good bit of my small income buying scenarios for myself and GM's I organize for and printing out, pregens, chronicle sheets, Guide to Organized Play, Maps, and other things. So I do sometimes get annoyed that I have to spend money to market Paizo's products for them and the company really doesn't show appreciation.

I hate the idea of GM's not being appreciated for what they do, which is why at the end of the year I send people who GM for me $10 in store credit as a thank you, in addition to buying them the scenarios they need to run if they don't have it from another source already.

Eventually I'll probably stop organizing PFS and move unto another organized play campaign because of it. One of my personal flaws.

As for an award suggestion, I'd like an automated e-mail to be sent out every time someone earns a star from Paizo's system that says thank you for the hard work. GMs don't get thanked enough.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Indiana—Martinsville

Purple Fluffy CatBunnyGnome wrote:
Tim Statler wrote:

More Pink than Purple Thea, but might work...

http://s99.photobucket.com/user/missjms23/media/CatBunny.jpg.html

would soooooo have to be purplier ... and more gnomish ... and more purplier

Guess the quote time!!!

"Crayons taste like purple!"

Liberty's Edge 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, Indiana—Martinsville

*Finished reading/skipping some post of the thread.*

My only want for a reward for earning my second star is that You Be Goblin boon I and my group should have gotten for being the only 3.4 tier to survive the second part of the special last year.

No, wait, we was still scored in 1.2 tier while having to play in 3.4 tier? Really?

I really want that boon. It would be the closest thing to a Kender I could play.

Silver Crusade 4/5

Jeffrey Fox wrote:

Would I like GM awards? Yes.

I spend a good bit of my small income buying scenarios for myself and GM's I organize for and printing out, pregens, chronicle sheets, Guide to Organized Play, Maps, and other things. So I do sometimes get annoyed that I have to spend money to market Paizo's products for them and the company really doesn't show appreciation.

I hate the idea of GM's not being appreciated for what they do, which is why at the end of the year I send people who GM for me $10 in store credit as a thank you, in addition to buying them the scenarios they need to run if they don't have it from another source already.

Eventually I'll probably stop organizing PFS and move unto another organized play campaign because of it. One of my personal flaws.

As for an award suggestion, I'd like an automated e-mail to be sent out every time someone earns a star from Paizo's system that says thank you for the hard work. GMs don't get thanked enough.

*sad face*

I don't want you to leave. We need all the help we can get.

3/5

It is sad if his gaming group does not realize the effort he puts in and abuse him. Mr. Fox if you ever DM around milwuakee I will come to your table and feed you. I hope you would appreicate that.

As I was saying earlier I feel the VC's and VL's should be aware of their DMs and make them known they are appreciated. Not that I am blaming your officers. I am willing to bet most groups are held together by a small amount of people. Losing them damages the group as a whole. I know I am rarely thanked for brining food, supplies, or DMing. So I understand how you feel.

4/5

I think my post sounded more dire then it should have.

My player base is always thankful for the GM's, and I'm thankful for everyone who has stepped up to GM to help my gamedays run.

I just kinda wish the company that we are paying to market for could be a bit more vocal with thanks. There are a lot of people out there, not just myself, that put a lot of time and effort into running games, buying the scenarios, gathering the player base to support PFS. And we all know PFS is marketing for Paizo. I think the GM rewards thing would be a cool way to thank them, even if it's just an automated system that sends out thank yous as GM's get stars.

And don't worry too much about me leaving, I'm just a bit stressed and need to decompress a bit.

Liberty's Edge 2/5

I dont see the need honestly for Star rewards for GM's. I played for several months before I myself came forward to my local group and asked to become a gm/if they wanted me. Turns out they did.

I think if people are in this to win awards/prizes/kudos then they are in it for the wrong reason. The only reward I need is when at the end of the game someone says 'thanks for the game' or just 'thanks'. I remember that.

Its for similar reasons that yes I roll my eyes when people self congratulate themselves for earning their first or second star (Im about 2-3 scenarios off my first), as if seeking acclaim for gming a game. Sure running a game can be difficult and time consuming but again if you are doing it because you are forced to do it, or because you might win a prize or that you want to impress someone playing in your game then you are really doing it for all the wrong reasons.

Personally I like gming because I love crafting the behind the scenes story/plot, creating interesting npcs and some elements of the control I get. Is it a power addiction? Possibly.

Silver Crusade 4/5

thaX wrote:
Purple Fluffy CatBunnyGnome wrote:
Tim Statler wrote:

More Pink than Purple Thea, but might work...

http://s99.photobucket.com/user/missjms23/media/CatBunny.jpg.html

would soooooo have to be purplier ... and more gnomish ... and more purplier

Guess the quote time!!!

"Crayons taste like purple!"

I don't recognize that specific line, but it sounds like something Tardy the Turtle would have said.

The Exchange 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

It's telling that there's such a wide range of motivators. These messageboards are just a small sample of the active GMs out there. Can you imagine how hard it is for the campaign leadership to upgrade the GM Rewards model without disappointing some of us? I think the Stars next to our names have been very effective. You can tell by every time Matthew rolls his eyes ;) that peer recognition is a huge motivator in PFS. Sure, players saying "Thanks for the game" has gotten many a GM to their first star. But what keeps the donkey pulling the cart for 30-40 scenarios? It's the enticing carrot dangling a mere foot ahead of it.

What has gotten you to this point as a GM?
What could Paizo dangle in front of you to get you to GM another 30 scenarios before GenCon?

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston

One of the issues with the star system, though, is the lack of visibility. I have no idea how many stars some of the GMs at my lodge have - I can guess, and I can look up the ones that I've played under, but I don't know unless they tell me. Going around bragging about your star is also sort of rude. It's why I didn't make threads for my first or second star, nor will I for my third.

Community recognition without other reward is great, so long as people actually recognize it.

The Exchange 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Netopalis wrote:
One of the issues with the star system, though, is the lack of visibility. I have no idea how many stars some of the GMs at my lodge have - I can guess, and I can look up the ones that I've played under, but I don't know unless they tell me.

You should demand to see their PFS membership card! Their stars are included along with their PFS number. If they say they don't have it on them or they left it in the car, they are likely a saboteur from another RPG company. Seize their dice and call for the nearest Venture Officer.

Sovereign Court 5/5 5/5 ** Venture-Captain, West Virginia—Charleston

*chuckles* I actually have my PFS card incorporated into the cover of my character binder.

51 to 100 of 296 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / GM Discussion / GM Rewards at Star Tiers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.