>>Ask *Wes Schneider* ALL your questions here!!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

501 to 550 of 792 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The NPC wrote:

Mr. F. Wesley Schneider,

This was written on the "Ask James Jacobs" Thread. Do you have an answer to this question?

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Why are all the violent Empyreal Lords Archons? Why no combat heavy Azatas ?
You'd have to ask Amber and Wes. My guess? Archons, being lawful, are more intolerant and thus more prone to aggression, whereas the azatas are chaotic and a lot more easy-going.

You ninjaed my curiosity!!!


Rysky wrote:
The NPC wrote:

Mr. F. Wesley Schneider,

This was written on the "Ask James Jacobs" Thread. Do you have an answer to this question?

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Why are all the violent Empyreal Lords Archons? Why no combat heavy Azatas ?
You'd have to ask Amber and Wes. My guess? Archons, being lawful, are more intolerant and thus more prone to aggression, whereas the azatas are chaotic and a lot more easy-going.
You ninjaed my curiosity!!!

Hi yah! *The Tourists love that stuff* ;)

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The NPC wrote:
Rysky wrote:
The NPC wrote:

Mr. F. Wesley Schneider,

This was written on the "Ask James Jacobs" Thread. Do you have an answer to this question?

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Why are all the violent Empyreal Lords Archons? Why no combat heavy Azatas ?
You'd have to ask Amber and Wes. My guess? Archons, being lawful, are more intolerant and thus more prone to aggression, whereas the azatas are chaotic and a lot more easy-going.
You ninjaed my curiosity!!!
Hi yah! *The Tourists love that stuff* ;)

-_- *this Ish mah not amused face*

:3


Originally asked over on the Chronicle of the Righteous thread, but someone else was directed here re: questions on Empyreal Lords... so I've shamelessly jumped that bandwagon.

I was browsing through the Empyreal Lords while brainstorming for a character to build for Wrath of the Righteous - and noticed one in the big list that I'd not focused in on before: Reymenda - the Lady of the Martyred Womb, CG Azata of Childlessness, endings, and responsibility.

I've searched on the boards and only found a mention that she was a legal deity for PFS, and have similarly searched google without luck.

There is a tiny bit more info in the alt text (about how she provides agents for dangerous missions) but it just left me wanting for more.

Wes - were there any more details written up for her that had to be cut for length? I think she's got awesome potential as a character's patron.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Mark Sweetman wrote:

Originally asked over on the Chronicle of the Righteous thread, but someone else was directed here re: questions on Empyreal Lords... so I've shamelessly jumped that bandwagon.

I was browsing through the Empyreal Lords while brainstorming for a character to build for Wrath of the Righteous - and noticed one in the big list that I'd not focused in on before: Reymenda - the Lady of the Martyred Womb, CG Azata of Childlessness, endings, and responsibility.

I've searched on the boards and only found a mention that she was a legal deity for PFS, and have similarly searched google without luck.

There is a tiny bit more info in the alt text (about how she provides agents for dangerous missions) but it just left me wanting for more.

Wes - were there any more details written up for her that had to be cut for length? I think she's got awesome potential as a character's patron.

Did you check out the extra text in chronicles? Basically they describe her followers as foregoing that happy family life in exchange for going on the most dangerous and suicidal missions for good. That way they don't have anything they have to worry about leaving behind should the unfortunate befall them.


doc the grey - yes I did... hence the comment there is a tiny bit more info in the alt text in the original post.

Contributor

When has an offhand comment or theory of a players inspired you or been directly stolen for your plots or stories in a game? Also, has this happened for Golarion?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Mark Sweetman wrote:
doc the grey - yes I did... hence the comment there is a tiny bit more info in the alt text in the original post.

Ahh sorry man. I am interested to see him give us more, maybe an obedience so you can go mystery cultist with it. That being said though I feel like his cult is very much one that is built around groups of no more then a dozen or so as considering the risk involved and the whole inability to reproduce being one of his key tenants his church has to be rather small. That being said I would guess they probably work a lot with other mystery cults and good faiths often taking on the jobs that no one else would be crazy enough to do. Actually I could totally see some good assassins amongst his faith, basically celibate crusaders who are willing to take on the most insane assassinations as both a service to their faith and to see evil tyrants fall.

The Exchange

Wes,

How much ink have you spilled in the name of the Golarion God's book?

Is there any elements of that tome that excite you?

Editor-in-Chief

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Alexander Augunas wrote:
If Paizo had a Male Swimsuit Calender, what would your month be and what would you be doing in your picture? (You have to be in the calender because Editor-in-Chief ;-P)

December, and probably playing Super Mario Bros. 3--just like I did after many a pool trip growing up. :P

Moving right along.

Editor-in-Chief

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
On the topic of elves, or for that matter, races with equally similar lifespans, like dhampir, tieflings and aasimars, how do you feel they gel with the plotlines Adventure Paths? I tend to avoid playing elf PCs because they have such a long length of time and experienced so much already before the events of the AP actually start that it almost seems like a footnote, having already lived through so much history. For instance, a tiefling PC in Council of Thieves has theoretically lived long enough to know firsthand what life during the Thrune Ascendancy was like, which doesn't work very well since the indication is tieflings didn't start becoming common in Cheliax until AFTER the diabolists seized control (going off what's said in the Advanced Race Guide, which states the age a tiefling/aasimar reaches maturity is 80). Most elf PCs in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous adventure path are theoretically older than the Worldwound itself (using 4710 as the mark here).

I don't know, I think that perspective is part of what makes these races interesting. They might be long lived, but I don't think that means every member of these races gets jaded. Even if they lived through the back story to something like an AP, well that might even be more useful for a GM in conveying story building elements to the PCs than the other way around.

From a totally meta point of view, the play experience between a long-lived race and a short one is about the same. The adventure is the focus of the game and is the most important thing happening to the character at the moment--not his past. It's the part of that character's life that the movie's being made about.

Take Gandalf, for example. He's ancient and had all these epic adventures. But his involvement, importance, and interest in the Hobbit isn't lessened because of them.

When playing characters like this, don't wrestle with your age. You're right, ancient characters would have to come to grips with how they face centuries, but since they're probably not youngsters, they've probably already come to terms with it--either personally or by embracing their culture's views of time and aging. Wrestling with the passage of every year or decade is a young race's hang-up, it's our hang-up, and you're not playing us. So use your background where it works, work with your GM to find out what you know, play things aloof where it doesn't work, and get on with the major events you have to deal with, because now the camera's on you!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yay! He's back :3


F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
On the topic of elves, or for that matter, races with equally similar lifespans, like dhampir, tieflings and aasimars, how do you feel they gel with the plotlines Adventure Paths? I tend to avoid playing elf PCs because they have such a long length of time and experienced so much already before the events of the AP actually start that it almost seems like a footnote, having already lived through so much history. For instance, a tiefling PC in Council of Thieves has theoretically lived long enough to know firsthand what life during the Thrune Ascendancy was like, which doesn't work very well since the indication is tieflings didn't start becoming common in Cheliax until AFTER the diabolists seized control (going off what's said in the Advanced Race Guide, which states the age a tiefling/aasimar reaches maturity is 80). Most elf PCs in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous adventure path are theoretically older than the Worldwound itself (using 4710 as the mark here).

I don't know, I think that perspective is part of what makes these races interesting. They might be long lived, but I don't think that means every member of these races gets jaded. Even if they lived through the back story to something like an AP, well that might even be more useful for a GM in conveying story building elements to the PCs than the other way around.

From a totally meta point of view, the play experience between a long-lived race and a short one is about the same. The adventure is the focus of the game and is the most important thing happening to the character at the moment--not his past. It's the part of that character's life that the movie's being made about.

Take Gandalf, for example. He's ancient and had all these epic adventures. But his involvement, importance, and interest in the Hobbit isn't lessened because of them.

When playing characters like this, don't wrestle with your age. You're right, ancient characters would have to come to grips with how they face centuries, but since...

And as far as tieflings and aasimar go, James Jacobs has said that, at least for the ones on Golarion, that they have human-like lifespans (give or take a decade or two). Otherwise the timeline for Rise of the Runelords' backstory gets a bit messed up.

Do you agree with that, Wes, or would you rather tieflings and aasimar have the longer lifespans that were printed in the ARG?

Contributor

How does it feel to officially be on the snowy side of the SummerCon crunch?

Also, did you know that I squee with excitement like a Despicable Me minion whenever I get PMs from bigwigs?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
On the topic of elves, or for that matter, races with equally similar lifespans, like dhampir, tieflings and aasimars, how do you feel they gel with the plotlines Adventure Paths? I tend to avoid playing elf PCs because they have such a long length of time and experienced so much already before the events of the AP actually start that it almost seems like a footnote, having already lived through so much history. For instance, a tiefling PC in Council of Thieves has theoretically lived long enough to know firsthand what life during the Thrune Ascendancy was like, which doesn't work very well since the indication is tieflings didn't start becoming common in Cheliax until AFTER the diabolists seized control (going off what's said in the Advanced Race Guide, which states the age a tiefling/aasimar reaches maturity is 80). Most elf PCs in the upcoming Wrath of the Righteous adventure path are theoretically older than the Worldwound itself (using 4710 as the mark here).

I don't know, I think that perspective is part of what makes these races interesting. They might be long lived, but I don't think that means every member of these races gets jaded. Even if they lived through the back story to something like an AP, well that might even be more useful for a GM in conveying story building elements to the PCs than the other way around.

From a totally meta point of view, the play experience between a long-lived race and a short one is about the same. The adventure is the focus of the game and is the most important thing happening to the character at the moment--not his past. It's the part of that character's life that the movie's being made about.

Take Gandalf, for example. He's ancient and had all these epic adventures. But his involvement, importance, and interest in the Hobbit isn't lessened because of them.

When playing characters like this, don't wrestle with your age. You're right, ancient characters would have to come to grips with how they face centuries, but since...

Thank you, Wes. James' answer helps too, he said that the ages in the ARG aren't correct. Planetouched have a similar lifespan to humans. But this DOES answer my question in regards to elves. I gotta try playing an elf sometime. My friend always gives me a Kubrick Stare when I mention it, though.

Sovereign Court Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Bejeweled European Skeleton Gods. 'Nuff said.


ShadowFighter88 wrote:

And as far as tieflings and aasimar go, James Jacobs has said that, at least for the ones on Golarion, that they have human-like lifespans (give or take a decade or two). Otherwise the timeline for Rise of the Runelords' backstory gets a bit messed up.

Do you agree with that, Wes, or would you rather tieflings and aasimar have the longer lifespans that were printed in the ARG?

Colour me also intrigued by this. Can we please expand the answer on it to cover the other elemental races as well?

On another note, and back to some horror related stuff (sorry if any of this has been asked before):

1. Have you seen Cabin in the Woods? What did you think of it (assuming you've seen it)?
2. Have you ever played any World of Darkness (old or new), and did you enjoy it? If so, do you have a preference for which supernatural template to use for the game (Vampire, Changeling, Hunter, Werewolf etc.)?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

What would you say your opinions of Josepth Campbell's Monomyth, or Hero's Journey, are? I think I recall that it was involved in the writing of Wrath of the Righteous, and I think I can see the patterns it describes in Rise of the Runelords. The attack on Sandpoint's the Call to Adventure, Skinsaw Murders are the "Refusal of the Call" in the sense that the PCs are now thoroughly involved in fighting Karzoug's minions, Ascension in Sins of the Saviors where their spiritual strengths and shortcomings influence the weapons they gain to defeat Karzoug, etc.

I think it's pretty cool!


About gender bending and spells, it might be about gaining functional parts, I don't think Alter Self or Disguise Self would give someone the ability to reproduce once genderbent.


I was thinking about "how to make a lycanthropes module", and it hit me, how would one make it challenging without every NPC and their mothers having either Magic, Silver Weapons, or both? Is that one of the reasons why paizo doesn't make one?


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

This might be a weird question, and with a somewhat long explanation, but here goes:

So I've got an old computer game where you pretend to be the manager of a soccer team that's reached the age where I've decided to just rip out all the real-world teams and players and replace them with fantasy ones - one league per world (except for Golarion and the Forgotten Realms who both have enough detail for 3 or 4), and I was wondering if I could ask what the respective colours of Ustalav's counties would be?


This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sissyl wrote:
This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Same question, but for the Devils. Several of the names in the Bestiary (Astaroth, Glasya-Labolas, Rubicante, etc.) didn't appear in Princes of Darkness, that I saw.

For Demons (p. 56), every name was a demon lord in the Golarion setting, but for Archons, Azata and Devils, not so much, and some of those names sounded *crazy* evocative (like Cocidius the Hawk Keeper or Muyingwa the Seed Thrower).

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Set wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Same question, but for the Devils. Several of the names in the Bestiary (Astaroth, Glasya-Labolas, Rubicante, etc.) didn't appear in Princes of Darkness, that I saw.

For Demons (p. 56), every name was a demon lord in the Golarion setting, but for Archons, Azata and Devils, not so much, and some of those names sounded *crazy* evocative (like Cocidius the Hawk Keeper or Muyingwa the Seed Thrower).

The Forgotten, Freedom Even From Memory.

I. Must. Know. More. About. This. One. Pretty. Pretty. Please.

:3


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Set wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Same question, but for the Devils. Several of the names in the Bestiary (Astaroth, Glasya-Labolas, Rubicante, etc.) didn't appear in Princes of Darkness, that I saw.

For Demons (p. 56), every name was a demon lord in the Golarion setting, but for Archons, Azata and Devils, not so much, and some of those names sounded *crazy* evocative (like Cocidius the Hawk Keeper or Muyingwa the Seed Thrower).

The Forgotten, Freedom Even From Memory.

I. Must. Know. More. About. This. One. Pretty. Pretty. Please.

:3

Ummm... it may be that nobody remembers much about that one... =)


Sissyl wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Set wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Same question, but for the Devils. Several of the names in the Bestiary (Astaroth, Glasya-Labolas, Rubicante, etc.) didn't appear in Princes of Darkness, that I saw.

For Demons (p. 56), every name was a demon lord in the Golarion setting, but for Archons, Azata and Devils, not so much, and some of those names sounded *crazy* evocative (like Cocidius the Hawk Keeper or Muyingwa the Seed Thrower).

The Forgotten, Freedom Even From Memory.

I. Must. Know. More. About. This. One. Pretty. Pretty. Please.

:3

Ummm... it may be that nobody remembers much about that one... =)

And those who do may not part with such knowledge without price.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
The Informant wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Set wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Same question, but for the Devils. Several of the names in the Bestiary (Astaroth, Glasya-Labolas, Rubicante, etc.) didn't appear in Princes of Darkness, that I saw.

For Demons (p. 56), every name was a demon lord in the Golarion setting, but for Archons, Azata and Devils, not so much, and some of those names sounded *crazy* evocative (like Cocidius the Hawk Keeper or Muyingwa the Seed Thrower).

The Forgotten, Freedom Even From Memory.

I. Must. Know. More. About. This. One. Pretty. Pretty. Please.

:3

Ummm... it may be that nobody remembers much about that one... =)
And those who do may not part with such knowledge without price.

I have 2 subscriptions. That enough?


Wes, you mentioned liking Suikoden, have you ever wanted to make a Pathfinder / d20 version of it/them?

Contributor

Belle Mythix wrote:

Wes, you mentioned liking Suikoden, have you ever wanted to make a Pathfinder / d20 version of it/them?

I was really confused by this question until I realized that you weren't asking James if he'd like a d20 version of Sudoku.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I just wanted to say, after meeting you at Gen Con and following you on Tumblr, I have for to say that you are one of the nicest people I've encountered. You seem like such a brilliant and kind-hearted man. Thank you for brightening my day. :-)

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Set wrote:
Sissyl wrote:
This may already have been asked... but Bestiary has a list of Archon Empyreal Lords. I did not find any of those names that matched what was in Chronicle of the Righteous. Now, it doesn't really bother me, and I am VERY impressed with CotR (especially Lymnieris and Dammerich), but I would like to know why the names from the Bestiary weren't used.

Same question, but for the Devils. Several of the names in the Bestiary (Astaroth, Glasya-Labolas, Rubicante, etc.) didn't appear in Princes of Darkness, that I saw.

For Demons (p. 56), every name was a demon lord in the Golarion setting, but for Archons, Azata and Devils, not so much, and some of those names sounded *crazy* evocative (like Cocidius the Hawk Keeper or Muyingwa the Seed Thrower).

I know in my home games I've taken the names that aren't in use and used the design info we've got from the books of the damned and Chronicles and started to build my own mythology for them. Xaphan, He Who Burns the Heavens has become a staple in my game world. I think they are there now so that people can get ideas and build their own demigods off them. That being said though I'm with a lot of people in wishing those names actually lead to more articles floating around like those of the demon lords.


Did you have any plans to incorporate Arch-Devils into B4?


Wes,

I was thumbing through a copy of Inner Sea Magic at my local bookstore the other day, and noticed that Caydserras Arudora had a little headshot in the table of contents - is the full art floating around somewhere, or is it hidden away for reasons?


Can you tell us anything about Typhon? What he was like, how he looked, what his portfolio was, how he differed from Barbatos in ruling Avernus?


James recommended I have you field this one: there's a new type of Hag in The Witch Queen's Revenge; do you think these Storm Hags should have their own type of gift that their changeling daughters get, or just use one of the ones from the other three hags? Is there any chance of there being an official racial trait at some point?
Also, since Night Hags are outsiders instead of monstrous humanoids, are their offspring tieflings or half-fiends, or another changeling variant?

Editor-in-Chief

3 people marked this as a favorite.

To revisit this:

Samnell wrote:
Wes, have you listened to Welcome to Night Vale?

Yes and it's AMAZING!

I am gradually catching up while infecting the rest of the office.

If you're not listening to this, you are missing out on something you would very much enjoy.

Why do you think you don't deserve to enjoy things?

Editor-in-Chief

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Buri wrote:

Hi Wes,

What's vampire society like in Ustalav from the average moroi vampire's perspective? Is it more Interview with a Vampire with its secret cabals, soirees, hierarchy and generally unaware populace or is it more like Dracula with isolated vampires that are generally hunted and feared? What sort of reaction would be had were one to walk "openly" in a populated market, for example?

Think of it as being Interview with the Vampire, with scattered Draculas. There are multiple very powerful vampires in Ustalav: the nosferatu Galdyce; the Whispering Tyrant's general, Malyas; Conte Tiriac, and—the most active—Luvick Siervage. Siervage is by far the most active, and has established a vampiric society that stems from Caliphas and reaches to all the major cultural centers of Ustalav to some degree. In Caliphas he's established a working relationship with certain other power players there—a topic that will be explored in an upcoming product. As such, Ustalav's vampires tend to either be lesser vampires who bow to Siervage's mandates on subtlety, or more powerful beings that eschew the greater vampire society and live on their own. This doesn't jeopardize Siervage and his ilk, as individual vampires are just that: individuals, lone monsters to be dealt with if the larger human society reveals them. It's the vampire culture that dwells beneath Caliphas and in the shadows of other cities that Siervage seeks to protect... but again, that's something for later.

Editor-in-Chief

Hey all! I've been doing a lot of traveling and recovering this past month, so sorry I've been MIA on this threat.

But I'm back now, so keep the queries coming!

Thanks for reading and for all the great questions!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:

Hey all! I've been doing a lot of traveling and recovering this past month, so sorry I've been MIA on this threat.

But I'm back now, so keep the queries coming!

Thanks for reading and for all the great questions!

No backsies!!! :3

Editor-in-Chief

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Cori Marie wrote:

Wes, as we know now that the Tyrant is finally getting stats in Mythic Realms, I'm working really hard to add him in as the true end boss of the Carrion Crown game I will be running. As such I have a few questions for you:

1) Adding Tar-Baphon will make Mythic rules for the PCs necessary as well I'd guess. What within the AP would you use as a mythic trigger?

If you wanted to do this, you've got a few options. Shutting down Shub-Niggurath is a pretty major deal (and who knows what mythic taint might leak into the world). The weird powers in Schloss Caromarc could infect the PCs with something, as could the Palatine Eye's secret relics or something at the Stairs of the Moon. Adorack is pretty much a mythic location already, and defeating Marrowgarth or, prior to there, the Gray Friar, could both trigger new tiers. The relic Raven's Head could also release some pent up Pharasmin power.

So there's a few options.

You can DEFINITELY add mythic to your Carrion Crown game, but go into it aware that it's likely going to make your campaign less of a horror game and more of a high powered, "super heroes"-like game. I'm not saying mythic obliterates moodiness, but... well... what does Superman have to be afraid of?

Cori Marie wrote:
2) I'm definitely adding in other encounters as well, like the two AP add-ins that Legendary Games did and Carrion Hill. However I'm a little bit writer blocked when it comes to addressing the lesser seals. a) Could you tell me where they are? b) How would you address their getting broken?

We've touched on one of the lesser seals in Pathfinder Module: Hungry are the Dead, so that's done for ya. :)

Ultimately, though, whatever you decide to do, I promise that no one from Paizo is going to come to your house and tell you you're wrong if you move them to more convenient spots. Like all around Ustalav and the surrounding areas. There's also a ton of great options for that:

The Spiral Cromlech in Lepidstadt could be a good place for one. So could Kalexcourt (the CR 19 Charnel Colossus from [the ENnies Award Winning] Inner Sea Bestiary even lives there, and he'd make a fine mythic challenge). My termagant kyton from that same book could also make a fine protector for another one, say in the Chapel of Guilts in Barstoi? The Cenotaph, right outside Canterwall, is detailed in Mythic Realms and is even tied into Tar-Baphon. Demons Revisited also gives stats for Kalestrua, the CR 21 mistress of Casnoriva in Virlych if you wanted to go there. I wrote up Dragons Unleashed's cover girl, Serzilian, as a CR 19 menace who lives in Baallalota, deep in the Graidmere Swamp, so she also could make a great seal guardian.

So pleanty of options here, again proving that there's no campaign problem that can't be solved if you throw enough books at it. ;)

Cori Marie wrote:
3) Lastly I just wanted to say thanks for the Gallowspire article in Dungeons of Golarion, as I've spent downtime at work the past few weeks drawing the levels and such. I finished drawing out the Silent Shrine today, and have the main chamber in the shape of the Tyrant's head.

That's awesome! So, so glad you're digging it!


F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Buri wrote:

Hi Wes,

What's vampire society like in Ustalav from the average moroi vampire's perspective? Is it more Interview with a Vampire with its secret cabals, soirees, hierarchy and generally unaware populace or is it more like Dracula with isolated vampires that are generally hunted and feared? What sort of reaction would be had were one to walk "openly" in a populated market, for example?

Think of it as being Interview with the Vampire, with scattered Draculas. There are multiple very powerful vampires in Ustalav: the nosferatu Galdyce; the Whispering Tyrant's general, Malyas; Conte Tiriac, and—the most active—Luvick Siervage. Siervage is by far the most active, and has established a vampiric society that stems from Caliphas and reaches to all the major cultural centers of Ustalav to some degree. In Caliphas he's established a working relationship with certain other power players there—a topic that will be explored in an upcoming product. As such, Ustalav's vampires tend to either be lesser vampires who bow to Siervage's mandates on subtlety, or more powerful beings that eschew the greater vampire society and live on their own. This doesn't jeopardize Siervage and his ilk, as individual vampires are just that: individuals, lone monsters to be dealt with if the larger human society reveals them. It's the vampire culture that dwells beneath Caliphas and in the shadows of other cities that Siervage seeks to protect... but again, that's something for later.

Welcome back and sorry you haven't felt well

Since we got Dragons Unleashed, what would be the odds for getting a similar book on the vampires of Golarion? I know they got covered in Classic Horrors Revisited, but a book focused on statting up and describing history and agendas of the most notorious vampires in the Inner Sea and elsewhere would be pretty cool.

The Exchange

Wes, besides Ustalav, what would be your top 3 scariest places in Golarion? Like raw uber horror.

Lantern Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4

Wes, I dunno if you saw it on Facebook, but they're making a new Legacy of Kain game.

and uh

...it's a free-to-play online battle arena game. My heart weeps.


Robert Brookes wrote:

Wes, I dunno if you saw it on Facebook, but they're making a new Legacy of Kain game.

and uh

...it's a free-to-play online battle arena game. My heart weeps.

I realise I'm not Wes, but I feel I have to respond to this one anyway...Ahem:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

So many good memories of the Legacy of Kain series, right through from Blood Omen to Defiance. I'd been holding out hope for a new game on the current or next gen consoles.

My only hope is that maybe this game could get enough attention to spur them into making another full game.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:

To revisit this:

Samnell wrote:
Wes, have you listened to Welcome to Night Vale?

Yes and it's AMAZING!

I am gradually catching up while infecting the rest of the office.

If you're not listening to this, you are missing out on something you would very much enjoy.

Why do you think you don't deserve to enjoy things?

I look forward to the influx of beautiful hair, dog parks, and vague, yet menacing government agencies into future Pathfinder products. :)

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Ohh he has returned and so I will repost a question I had from a while back

1.Are their any male homosexual archdukes, archdevils, or other named demigod+ devils in hell? To be more precise I'm also referring to those that are exclusively attracted to males and not those who are just also attracted to them along with other options like say belial.

2. What does the cult of Crocell look like? I'm in the middle of trying to use him for one of my home games and he seems a truly interesting character but what his cult might look like and it's focus I haven't the faintest clue.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Asked this on your Hell thread up in Golarion's Discussion forum, but it kind of got buried in your absence, so I figured I'd ask it here, now that you're back in action.

Alright, so Wrath of the Righteous has a great deal about redemption, even including a redeemed demon. While this Good demon and the mindset that led to its redemption will be revealed in Demon's Heresy, I was wondering about the potential for redemption among devils.

What are the events or thought processes that would convince a devil to abandon Hell's ruthless order and adopt a more archon-like mentality? What would lead a devil to commit the ultimate crime in Hell of defying Asmodeus' ironclad law? I imagine such entities would probably have to spend their entire existences in hiding, as Hell's more efficient at tracking down traitors than demons likely are.

Thanks, Wes! :)

Contributor

How do you go about creating maps for Golarion/your games? Do you go into minute detail or go with more basic maps? Do you hand draw your maps? Basically, would you main detailing your process for creating a map such as the one for Sandpoint or Varisia?

Editor-in-Chief

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Could a hypothetical Shoanti character become a Paladin? Seems like, from what I've read, they'd view that as heretical, as most of the paladin gods were brought in by foreigners. Abadar, Sarenrae and Iomedae seem to have largely been introduced by Korvosans. Most of the more local gods that the Shoanti and Varisians share don't allow paladins, whether due to being Chaotic like Desna, or they're solidly Neutral like Pharasma. So...would a Shoanti paladin be viewed as some kind of culture traitor despite their honor and deeds?

Sure man! Fish out of water characters, exceptions to traditional norms, and folks trying to go against societal traditions are some of the most interesting! While I do think a Shoanti might have trouble fitting in as a paladin of Abadar, I could also see a Shoanti coming to a city, getting totally obsessed, and turning that obsession to worship and devotion. So yeah, even that I can see a way of spinning.

As for how other Shoanti view them, well, cultural traitor might be a bit harsh, but there could be some hard feelings among traditionalists. That said, I've seen plenty of stories where the kid leaves the small town and goes to the city, makes it big, and then comes home. Sometimes the character's family and old town crew are resentful, but sometimes they're just like "I don't get what you're doing, but you're still family: lets go have pie!"

So it's really all about the story you want to tell. Go for it either way!

Editor-in-Chief

Set wrote:
I wonder what sort of situation would prompt Seltyiel to give his life? Perhaps something involving taking a hated enemy with him, in a 'I spit my last breath at thee' sort of way?

Oooh, if I had to pick an iconic who would probably find a way to live forever it would probably be Selt. That one's not about to go down without a fight. If he ever sacrifices himself, it's surely a con he's got a way out of. ;)

501 to 550 of 792 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *Wes Schneider* ALL your questions here!!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.