Can a Witch multiclass with a level of...Witch?


Rules Questions


Can a Witch take a level of Witch with a _different Patron_, to gain access to that Patron's spells?

Yes, it'd cost a caster level, but I'm getting mighty sick of undead.


Arbane the Terrible wrote:

Can a Witch take a level of Witch with a _different Patron_, to gain access to that Patron's spells?

Yes, it'd cost a caster level, but I'm getting mighty sick of undead.

...no? You can't even multiclass between archetypes, let alone into the exact same class.


You can talk to your DM about adding spells to your spelllist(at the cost of scribing of course) or about changing patrons maybe. I suggest doing so over a plate of delicious cookies, or perhaps a slice of a very rich cheesecake.

No, you can't multiclass with yourself. Nor rogue with ninja, or with an archetype of the same class. Talking with your DM about a comprimise is always an option however.


Natch wrote:
Arbane the Terrible wrote:

Can a Witch take a level of Witch with a _different Patron_, to gain access to that Patron's spells?

Yes, it'd cost a caster level, but I'm getting mighty sick of undead.

...no? You can't even multiclass between archetypes, let alone into the exact same class.

Just a nitpick, you're right about classes but you can take multiple archetypes of the same class, as long as they don't change the same class features:

Alternate Class Features wrote:


A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature. For example, a paladin could not be both a hospitaler and an undead scourge since they both modify the smite evil class feature and both replace the aura of justice class feature. A paladin could, however, be both an undead scourge and a warrior of the holy light, since none of their new class features replace the same core class feature.

OP: Maybe see if you can talk your DM into changing your patron? Sounds like an adventure hook to me. Turn it into a quest.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

You could always play a Samsaran and take the alternate racial ability Mystic Past Life. It allows you to add spells to your spell list.


Akerlof wrote:

Just a nitpick, you're right about classes but you can take multiple archetypes of the same class, as long as they don't change the same class features:

Alternate Class Features wrote:


A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature. For example, a paladin could not be both a hospitaler and an undead scourge since they both modify the smite evil class feature and both replace the aura of justice class feature. A paladin could, however, be both an undead scourge and a warrior of the holy light, since none of their new class features replace the same core class feature.

Multiple archetypes at once is equivalent to gestalt, not multiclassing. You can take two (or more) at once, but you can't take 5 levels in a class and then decide at level 6 to take an archetype you didn't have before.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Akerlof wrote:
Natch wrote:
Arbane the Terrible wrote:

Can a Witch take a level of Witch with a _different Patron_, to gain access to that Patron's spells?

Yes, it'd cost a caster level, but I'm getting mighty sick of undead.

...no? You can't even multiclass between archetypes, let alone into the exact same class.
Just a nitpick, you're right about classes but you can take multiple archetypes of the same class, as long as they don't change the same class features:

He said you can't multiclass between archetypes, not that you can't have multiple.


You also can't take levels of both Samurai and Cavalier because Samurai is considered an alternative class to Cavalier. Ninja is alternative class to Rogue and Anti-Paladin is alternative class to Paladin (though, in that case, there are other reasons you can't be both as well).


I was afraid of that. Oh, well...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Can a Witch multiclass with a level of...Witch? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.