>>Ask *James Sutter* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,321 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Executive Editor

Ross Byers wrote:

Has there been any news on the subject of Pathfinder Tales Subscriber eBooks with the Tor licensing stuff?

I'm anxious about the future of my subscription.

My understanding is that the print subscriptions will no longer include a free ebook. Sorry. :\

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

Has there been any news on the subject of Pathfinder Tales Subscriber eBooks with the Tor licensing stuff?

I'm anxious about the future of my subscription.

My understanding is that the print subscriptions will no longer include a free ebook. Sorry. :\

:(

Hate to sound like an ass then but why should people keep their subscription? I got mine so that I could get both.

Please don't hate me Froggy!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah. As much as I love paper books, I have my iPad every day already, so if I have to pick one over the other, it's going to be an eBook.

Is Paizo still going to be able to distribute Tales eBooks, or will I be having to buy from Tor or via the iBookstore?

Executive Editor

Rysky wrote:
James Sutter wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

Has there been any news on the subject of Pathfinder Tales Subscriber eBooks with the Tor licensing stuff?

I'm anxious about the future of my subscription.

My understanding is that the print subscriptions will no longer include a free ebook. Sorry. :\

:(

Hate to sound like an ass then but why should people keep their subscription? I got mine so that I could get both.

Please don't hate me Froggy!

No worries! To each their own—if you're subscribing to the print books solely to get the ebooks, then the new deal definitely doesn't make sense for you. That said, you'll still be able to buy the ebooks on their own, now in a much wider variety of formats (including Kindle!). It's currently unclear whether you'll be able to buy those direct from us or if you'll have to buy them from the channels most associated with their format (Amazon for Kindle, etc.).

The change in subscription format was not one that we came to lightly, but the new Tor relationship is already letting us take the novel line in places we never could before, so I hope that when all is said and done, you'll agree that the changes were worth it!


How did the Army of Exploration reach Amanandar by ship if Amanandar is inland and the entire western coast, bar a few port cities, is blocked by the wall of heaven?

Executive Editor

deuxhero wrote:
How did the Army of Exploration reach Amanandar by ship if Amanandar is inland and the entire western coast, bar a few port cities, is blocked by the wall of heaven?

That's a question for Rob, I'm afraid! He's the biggest Taldor fan on staff, and maybe the biggest Tian Xia fan as well, so he gets to make that call. :)

Sczarni RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Are you aware other publishers are stealing your logos?

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

O_o

Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, that thing's popped up before. I don't know how people think they'll get away with it, but I hope no readers were confused. :\


personally James Sutter should be the one to kick off the new Tor era, since Death's Heretic and The Redemption Engine are the best pathfinder tales books, just saying.

Executive Editor

Aww, thank you! I'm very much looking forward to doing another Salim book under Tor's aegis, I've just been stymied by the fact that it apparently takes me a *really long time* to write a novel. :P

Actually, for a while I was considering holding off releasing The Redemption Engine until things with Tor were finalized, but I figured I'd already made people wait two years for a sequel, and three would just be ridiculous...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What is love?

Executive Editor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
James Sutter wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What is love?
Baby, don't hurt me.

Don't hurt me... no more.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

How many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man?

Have you heard the word is love?

Who put the bop in the bop-she-bop?


42!

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

James Sutter wrote:
Hey everybody! Sorry to let this thread languish so long, but I was on vacation.

Did you have a good vacation?

Executive Editor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:

How many roads must a man walk down, before you can call him a man?

Have you heard the word is love?

Who put the bop in the bop-she-bop?

1) One, but it's rather long, and covered in angry badgers.

2) Yup.

3) Me, and I kinda need it back.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

What IS it about fedoras that turns young men into misogynistic, delusional, self-obsessed whiny-butts?


Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What IS it about fedoras that turns young men into misogynistic, delusional, self-obsessed whiny-butts?

Psst. Trilby. It's a trilby. Fedora is a different kind of hat. I don't know why people keep calling them Fedoras, when they are clearly not. I like my fedora, thank you very much, and it is not a trilby.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Man I loved that episode of Star Trek, when they were everywhere!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

1) Do you envision lashunta and elves as being fertile with each other as humans and elves are, or no? Not asking you to say definitively one way or the other, just curious as to what your off-the-cuff opinion would be.

2) Do you think formians are generally open to trade and other such so long as it happens on their terms, or do you think they're generally xenophobic about all other races? Could you see them allowing a trade or diplomatic envoy onto their land?

3) Why do formians hate lashunta so much? Did the lashunta used to be slaves ala Radio Man before winning their liberty and taking formian territory, which they view as unforgivable, or do some lashunta have the ability to disrupt telepathic communication which they view as a threat, or what? Or is it antennae envy? It's the antennae envy, isn't it.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Tacticslion wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What IS it about fedoras that turns young men into misogynistic, delusional, self-obsessed whiny-butts?
Psst. Trilby. It's a trilby. Fedora is a different kind of hat. I don't know why people keep calling them Fedoras, when they are clearly not. I like my fedora, thank you very much, and it is not a trilby.

Okay, then. What is it about TRILBYS that turns young men into misogynistic, delusional, self-obsessed whiny-butts?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

They're just so darn fuzzy and cute!

Wait! We're still talking about Star Trek right!

Executive Editor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Tacticslion wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
What IS it about fedoras that turns young men into misogynistic, delusional, self-obsessed whiny-butts?
Psst. Trilby. It's a trilby. Fedora is a different kind of hat. I don't know why people keep calling them Fedoras, when they are clearly not. I like my fedora, thank you very much, and it is not a trilby.
Okay, then. What is it about TRILBYS that turns young men into misogynistic, delusional, self-obsessed whiny-butts?

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the style of their hats, but by the content of their character." — Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Executive Editor

Luthorne wrote:

1) Do you envision lashunta and elves as being fertile with each other as humans and elves are, or no? Not asking you to say definitively one way or the other, just curious as to what your off-the-cuff opinion would be.

2) Do you think formians are generally open to trade and other such so long as it happens on their terms, or do you think they're generally xenophobic about all other races? Could you see them allowing a trade or diplomatic envoy onto their land?

3) Why do formians hate lashunta so much? Did the lashunta used to be slaves ala Radio Man before winning their liberty and taking formian territory, which they view as unforgivable, or do some lashunta have the ability to disrupt telepathic communication which they view as a threat, or what? Or is it antennae envy? It's the antennae envy, isn't it.

1) Hmm... hadn't really thought about it. I suppose my answer is "probably not naturally, but all things are possible with magic."

2) I think they'd be somewhat open. The hatred of the Lashunta is a relic of past territorial disputes between the two races, not necessarily a generalized xenophobia.

3) See above!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yeah, I was mostly wondering since they're described in Bestiary 4 as being aggressively expansionistic, have no patience for people moving into their area, and fiercely defending their territory, so I wasn't sure what their boundaries were...if they objected to anyone ever entering their territory, or if it was primarily those they felt offered a credible threat to their territory or holdings (such as someone planning to settle down there or do some hunting), and whether or not they would consider diplomacy and trade with others, or were purely focused on expansion and had no interest in dealing with those whose territory they would eventually be taking anyways, etc.

And yeah, I've certainly pondered the possibility of the formians having landed in lashunta territory via their usual asteroid trick, resulting in long, bitter war which could certainly lead to hatred on both sides and with the Colonies firmly in control of what may once have been lashunta territory...but there are certainly other possibilities, so I was curious!

The craziest one I pondered was that lashunta were the result of a group of formians that went rogue after falling in love with some of the elven population, their descendants becoming more humanoid-like as they bred with other elves before finally stabilizing with only vestiges of their former heritage in the form of antennae, a limited form of telepathy, and some degree of gender dimorphism...but I figured that one was pretty unlikely!

1) Any chances of a book set on Castrovel to give us more potential hints about what things are like over there? I love Distant Worlds and People of the Stars has a bit here and there, but they just whet my appetite...

Really, what I'd love is a big Campaign Setting book all about Castrovel, but somehow I doubt that's too likely anytime soon...and ones for Akiton, Triaxus, Verces...

2) What would be some books you'd recommend reading to get in the proper mindset for a Castrovel adventure?

3) Have you looked at the Occult Adventures playtest material yet? I was wondering, since Castrovel is one of the places known for psychic magic, which of the new classes you view as being pretty common on Castrovel...


YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSS.

Executive Editor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Luthorne wrote:

Yeah, I was mostly wondering since they're described in Bestiary 4 as being aggressively expansionistic, have no patience for people moving into their area, and fiercely defending their territory, so I wasn't sure what their boundaries were...if they objected to anyone ever entering their territory, or if it was primarily those they felt offered a credible threat to their territory or holdings (such as someone planning to settle down there or do some hunting), and whether or not they would consider diplomacy and trade with others, or were purely focused on expansion and had no interest in dealing with those whose territory they would eventually be taking anyways, etc.

And yeah, I've certainly pondered the possibility of the formians having landed in lashunta territory via their usual asteroid trick, resulting in long, bitter war which could certainly lead to hatred on both sides and with the Colonies firmly in control of what may once have been lashunta territory...but there are certainly other possibilities, so I was curious!

The craziest one I pondered was that lashunta were the result of a group of formians that went rogue after falling in love with some of the elven population, their descendants becoming more humanoid-like as they bred with other elves before finally stabilizing with only vestiges of their former heritage in the form of antennae, a limited form of telepathy, and some degree of gender dimorphism...but I figured that one was pretty unlikely!

1) Any chances of a book set on Castrovel to give us more potential hints about what things are like over there? I love Distant Worlds and People of the Stars has a bit here and there, but they just whet my appetite...

Really, what I'd love is a big Campaign Setting book all about Castrovel, but somehow I doubt that's too likely anytime soon...and ones for Akiton, Triaxus, Verces...

2) What would be some books you'd recommend reading to get in the proper mindset for a Castrovel adventure?

3) Have you looked at the...

Ha! Yeah, while I generally don't present new canon on the boards, I will say for certain that the Lashunta are *not* the result of formian-elf interbreeding. :)

1) I'd love to do more on Castrovel, too! Too many books to write, too little time...

2) Pulp! Castrovel is the land of pulp—specifically pulp Venus—and ALMURIC is the book I'd most recommend (available from Planet Stories!), though I'm sure Erik would point you toward a dozen different authors.

3) I've indeed done some work on Occult Adventures! But since I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, I'll only say that you'll be seeing some discussion of how that book ties into Castrovel in a product pretty soon here. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

But are you pro tribble?

Executive Editor

4 people marked this as a favorite.
captain yesterday wrote:
But are you pro tribble?

I mean, they're basically space hamsters, right? It's pretty hard to be anti-space hamster, regardless of the imminent doom.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

1)Is there chance that the Formians created(on purpose or accidently) the Lashunta or that the Lashunta created(on purpose or accidently) the Formians?

2)Do the Formians actually originate from Castrovel?

3)Are there any 0HD races on Golarion's solar system that look like humans with blue, green, violet, orange, and/or yellow skin?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In case you missed it, here's a link to James Sutter's recent (May 2015) AMA on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/36ia81/im_james_l_suttercocreator_ of_pathfinder/?sort=confidence

James, great job answering all those questions. You rock!

Executive Editor

Kendrosthenes wrote:

In case you missed it, here's a link to James Sutter's recent (May 2015) AMA on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/36ia81/im_james_l_suttercocreator_ of_pathfinder/?sort=confidence

James, great job answering all those questions. You rock!

Thank you! I've been super-buried in work recently, but I'll try to get back to this thread as well soon. :)


If you could be a "celestial body" (in let's say 24 hours), how would you look to the naked eye?

Executive Editor

Kendrosthenes wrote:
If you could be a "celestial body" (in let's say 24 hours), how would you look to the naked eye?

I see what you did there. :)

(I was Mars, complete with rover.)

Dark Archive

James, what part of the planes would you like to explore more in the pathfinder setting? And what plane do you think needs more print attention?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I am just about to finish Death's Heretic (looooving it by the way) and I have a question about a significant moment in the book.

Spoiler:
Salim and Neila on the lawful side of the Boneyard find the evidence left behind by the Imentesh.

1. Did the Imentesh just leave the junky evidence of chaos in a place of law behind for laughs, or was it part of his manifesting there? Without that bit, wouldn't Salim have failed in his investigation.

2. As Executive Editor, who do you trust to edit your books?

3. Why did you settle on Grippli for your avatar?

and lastly:

4. If you were a PF bard, would you have an archetype?

    4-A. How would you feel when you cast a spell?
spoilerish:
Your desription of Salim's utter revulsion when he cast spells was intense by the way.


Sorry if you've already answered this question elsewhere. . .

If you could take your wife to have dinner with two current or past writers (any genre), who would they be and why? If you could pick a restaurant anywhere in the world for the dinner, where would you go?

Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ulgulanoth wrote:
James, what part of the planes would you like to explore more in the pathfinder setting? And what plane do you think needs more print attention?

Most of the planes could use more love, but I'm specifically focused on the First World right now, and I'd *love* to do more with Axis. (The only reason I'm not saying "Heaven" as well is that I got a chance to dig into it and create some landmarks in The Redemption Engine. :)

Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Alayern wrote:

I am just about to finish Death's Heretic (looooving it by the way) and I have a question about a significant moment in the book.

** spoiler omitted **

2. As Executive Editor, who do you trust to edit your books?

3. Why did you settle on Grippli for your avatar?

and lastly:

4. If you were a PF bard, would you have an archetype?

    4-A. How would you feel when you cast a spell?
** spoiler omitted **

Thank you! Really glad you're liking the book!

1.

Spoiler:
The chaos-junk was the result of the protean's chaotic presence interacting with the extreme lawfulness of that part of the Boneyard. The protean probably *could* have cleaned up after itself, but it didn't really have any incentive to—for it, completing the job in total secrecy would be booooriiiiing. :)

2. Death's Heretic was edited by Erik Mona and Christopher Paul Carey. The Redemption Engine was edited by Wes Schneider and Christopher Paul Carey. I trust them all utterly, and they were great at pointing out my faults in a constructive manner!

3. Because he's adorable and hilarious! I have a long history of updating my avatar any time a piece of art comes in that I can't stop laughing at.

4. Hmm... probably! I'm not sure which one off the top of my head, but it would definitely be one that was conducive to rock and roll. (Fun fact: the first article I ever tried to write for Dragon was a bunch of items for a bard to help you be a modern-day heavy metal musician--magical lute amplifiers and things--and the piece was so terrible that the editor did me a great service by not showing it to the rest of the staff. :)

4a. Personally, I think magic sounds *awesome*, and I'd be all about it, but I'm glad that the descriptions of Salim's magic worked for you—the dude's got issues.

Executive Editor

Kendrosthenes wrote:

Sorry if you've already answered this question elsewhere. . .

If you could take your wife to have dinner with two current or past writers (any genre), who would they be and why? If you could pick a restaurant anywhere in the world for the dinner, where would you go?

Hmm... that's a toughy. For the writers... maybe Stephen King, just because he's seen it all, and my wife and I both love the Dark Tower series. John Green's a top contender as well, since we both like his stuff, and he seems like a cool guy. Dan Simmons is in there, too, and JK Rowling. Of course, it's also tempting to go with someone from ancient history, just to get a firsthand account of what life was like. (Or maybe some early scripture writers or founding fathers, just to get a few bones of contention hammered out.) But in general, I'm super fortunate in that I've actually already gotten to meet and hang out with some of my favorite authors!

As for where we'd go, I'd want to go to the greatest pizza parlor in the world... but I have no idea what or where that is, so I'd do a lot of research. Failing that... maybe Beth's diner in Seattle? I feel like eating a greasy 12-egg omelette together is a good bonding experience.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
James Sutter wrote:
I trust them all utterly, and they were great at pointing out my faults in a constructive manner!

Would you say you trust them all Sutterly?

Dark Archive

Axis does need more love, what of the plane do you want to explore the most?

Executive Editor

Alayern wrote:
James Sutter wrote:
I trust them all utterly, and they were great at pointing out my faults in a constructive manner!

Would you say you trust them all Sutterly?

Hey-oh! *buh-dum PSHT!*

Executive Editor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
ulgulanoth wrote:
Axis does need more love, what of the plane do you want to explore the most?

Just all of it, honestly. Its markets, its inns, its factories, its churches, its factions, its fortresses—it's the city at the center of everything, and as folks have probably already noticed, the more bizarre and cosmopolitan a city is, the more I like it. :)

Dark Archive

James Sutter wrote:
ulgulanoth wrote:
Axis does need more love, what of the plane do you want to explore the most?
Just all of it, honestly. Its markets, its inns, its factories, its churches, its factions, its fortresses—it's the city at the center of everything, and as folks have probably already noticed, the more bizarre and cosmopolitan a city is, the more I like it. :)

Is there a river between the planes in Golarion (such as the Styx)?

If so, could a 'dock district' in Axis perhaps be located on a massive gear/cog that turns slowly, pushed like a sideways waterwheel by the implacable action of the river itself, tapping that mechanical energy for diverse uses (and using the 'teeth' of the massive dockside-market-gear as individual quays, at least while they are facing the river, and not interlocking with the rest of the city and transferring energy...)?

That could be a pretty funky visual.


Do you think all of the outer planes should have there own hardcover book?

Executive Editor

xavier c wrote:
Do you think all of the outer planes should have there own hardcover book?

In a perfect world? Maybe! But for right now, I'd settle for a really rad hardcover addressing all of them. :)

Shadow Lodge

Question..
As a GM and/or Player do you feel that, besides a few Archtypes, the Fighter and Rogue classes have become obsolete?

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,321 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Sutter* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.