How to get a second attack (in a turn)


Advice


What is the quickest path through barbarian to get a second attack in a turn?

Liberty's Edge

Claws


I'd say lesser beast totem

If you go half-orc and take tusked (or toothy, one is a feat the other a trait, and if I am not mistaken there is even a racial trait that does the same) you can have 3 attacks at level 2, all at full base attack


Don't know how this ended up double posting...

I'll take a look at that for sure.

How about a second attack with my weapon?


Nation Prophetic wrote:
What is the quickest path through barbarian to get a second attack in a turn?

15 Dex and Two-Weapon Fighting. Doable at level 1. You said quickest not most optimal.

- Torger


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Human Barbarian: Power Attack and Cleave at 1st level.

Again, not optimal, considering the restrictions on Cleave, but Power Attack plays more to the barbarian's strengths than two-weapon fighting does.


Unfortunately I'm already invested in using a two handed great axe...
Any guesses as to where I can pull an extra attack from that? My character is an Ogre, so I have access to quick at hand... Possibly a second attack from grabbing a fallen enemy and beating his friend with him?


Chemlak wrote:

Human Barbarian: Power Attack and Cleave at 1st level.

Again, not optimal, considering the restrictions on Cleave, but Power Attack plays more to the barbarian's strengths than two-weapon fighting does.

I'm already moving for that at level 2. Just trying to pull all the extra damage I can out of this guy since my party is gonna be squishy and he's pretty much been drafted to be the nuke and the tank in one.


Get a +1 Speed weapon.

None of these are easy to accomplish at level 1.

There's a reason for that, a second attack with your main weapon is very very powerful.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Well, if you're going for tank and nuke in one place, you'll want Power Attack, Cleave and Combat Reflexes.

The complete answer to your basic question, though, is this:

There are four ways to get more attacks in a round - levels, feats, weapons, magic.

Levels: Simply getting to 6th level as a Barbarian will net you another attack.

Feats: Cleave is a standard action (unlike when you actually have multiple iterative attacks), but it has some pretty severe restrictions on use. Combat Reflexes lets you make more Attacks of Opportunity and if played smart can do some serious harm to the enemy if they fail to account for it.

Weapons: two-weapon fighting is the only real way this can add to your attacks per round. Check out some of the double-weapons - while the exotics end up with a feat requirement, a Large two-bladed sword does 2d6 with each end.

Magic: Haste or boots of speed. Until you're all 5th level the first one won't really be readily available - those scrolls and wands cost a fair bit of money - and the second costs even more, plus your GM will need to let you get your hands on them.

Conclusion: Your choice of weapon and choice of feats are the only things you as a player have control over. The GM manages the rest. I would strongly consider going Two-weapon fighting if the number of attacks is particularly important, since no other option even comes close, but if you're after damage, then Power Attack, Cleave and Great Cleave, with an option on Combat Reflexes, is the way to go. You will actually out-damage a two-weapon fighter in the long run.


Cleave and Cleaving Finnish. You can potentially get 3 attacks at level 3 if you are human. Please note 'potentially'.

Combat Reflexes for AOO attacks.


Rage powers can get you natural attacks. If you are inclined you could go for two weapon fighting instead or in addition.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

ogres have 10' reach, so if you have a positive Dex mod. (most ogres don't) definitely take combat reflexes as soon as possible (you'll get a bunch of extra AoOs off the bat and even more if you get enlarge person). chemlak's list is great but he forgot one- helpers...

helpers: a pet or cohort will net you extra attacks. Leadership (which could be lumped with feats) would do this at 7th level, but a 1 level dip in druid @2 level will get you a decent pet with 1-3 extra attacks (and you pick up some buff spells for occasions when you know combat is coming)- add the Boon Companion feat at 3rd level and your pet will stay useful til 5-6 level easily (after that you could pick up 3 more levels of druid without losing any more BAB, and you'd pick up more spells and the utility of being able to wildshape). a summoner might work... there's no good way to improve your eidolon though without just leveling as a summoner. normally the synthesist archetype is great for adding attacks (and getting pounce early) but it replaces your Str with the eidolon's, so for you it would be disastrous...

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Hawktitan wrote:
Cleave and Cleaving Finnish. You can potentially get 3 attacks at level 3 if you are human. Please note 'potentially'.

Why would anyone ever choose a feat that affects only one nationality?


nate lange wrote:

ogres have 10' reach, so if you have a positive Dex mod. (most ogres don't) definitely take combat reflexes as soon as possible (you'll get a bunch of extra AoOs off the bat and even more if you get enlarge person). chemlak's list is great but he forgot one- helpers...

helpers: a pet or cohort will net you extra attacks. Leadership (which could be lumped with feats) would do this at 7th level, but a 1 level dip in druid @2 level will get you a decent pet with 1-3 extra attacks (and you pick up some buff spells for occasions when you know combat is coming)- add the Boon Companion feat at 3rd level and your pet will stay useful til 5-6 level easily (after that you could pick up 3 more levels of druid without losing any more BAB, and you'd pick up more spells and the utility of being able to wildshape). a summoner might work... there's no good way to improve your eidolon though without just leveling as a summoner. normally the synthesist archetype is great for adding attacks (and getting pounce early) but it replaces your Str with the eidolon's, so for you it would be disastrous...

I don't know that anyone is going to be inspired to follow my Ogre... What with the rape and murder stereotype.

Unless theyre into that sort of thing. O.o;

Grand Lodge

Extra attack on full attack?

If you are trying to get an extra attack outside of a full attack, it will be much harder.


Jim.DiGriz wrote:
Hawktitan wrote:
Cleave and Cleaving Finnish. You can potentially get 3 attacks at level 3 if you are human. Please note 'potentially'.
Why would anyone ever choose a feat that affects only one nationality?

Maybe they really hate them.


blackbloodtroll wrote:

Extra attack on full attack?

If you are trying to get an extra attack outside of a full attack, it will be much harder.

How much harder? In my head I picture a diabloesque barbarian in whirlwind just sawing through hordes of baddies. Obviously there are limitations to what you can do early, but how to get there and what path to take?

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

if you want to be a whirlwind of destruction, the whirlwind feat may be a good route, lol. chances are you won't have the dex for that... all 4 cleave feats together will do a pretty solid job, and anything that scores you free attacks (like increasing your AoOs) will make it even better. adding natural attacks will help too (though they'll count as secondary attacks, meaning they'll do less damage)- animal fury rage power will get you a bite attack... beast totem tree will get you claws (that you won't use cause of your weapon) and @10th level pounce (which is clutch for your spinning vortex of death because it means you'll pretty much always be full-attacking).


Torger Miltenberger wrote:
Nation Prophetic wrote:
What is the quickest path through barbarian to get a second attack in a turn?

15 Dex and Two-Weapon Fighting. Doable at level 1. You said quickest not most optimal.

- Torger

You don't need 15 dex or two weapon fighting to use two weapons.

Scarab Sages

Hawktitan wrote:
Jim.DiGriz wrote:
Hawktitan wrote:
Cleave and Cleaving Finnish. You can potentially get 3 attacks at level 3 if you are human. Please note 'potentially'.
Why would anyone ever choose a feat that affects only one nationality?
Maybe they really hate them.

Possible, although personally I've never met anyone who hates Finns. They say familiarity breeds contempt, however, so perhaps I would have if I lived in Norway, Sweden or Russia.


Can I follow up an attack with my axe with a quick at hand grab of a fallen enemy and throw him at another guy in the same turn?

Assistant Software Developer

I merged the threads on this topic.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

wild rager archetype gets wild fighting at level 2. that grants an extra attack on a full attack action.


Nation Prophetic wrote:
Can I follow up an attack with my axe with a quick at hand grab of a fallen enemy and throw him at another guy in the same turn?

There are no set rules for this but it would more then likely go down like this.

that would require 3 rounds worth of actions. attack to kill round 1. a grapple check(standard action)that is round 2. and then another attack roll with improvised weapon take - and possibly draw two attack of opportunity (because it is improved weapon and another because it a ranged attack)turns happen over 3 or 6 seconds. Some DM may say you have to pin(another stander action)(this would simulate lifting the body in preparation to throw it) the body before allowing you to throw it. The game is not made to do what you want to do. you are looking for movie style action, the pathfinder system does not work well with that effect. sounds like you are new to the game, and you should stick with just the core book to start absorb all of that then worry about the add books with extra feats and what not. learn the game first don't look for instant mastery. IF you are looking for movie style play try world of darkness systems they are made exactly for that style of play. Pathfinder is systematic style system. It is very structured with lots of checks and balances. some people would say not enough.


It won't help you with your primary weapon, but you can TWF with a two-handed weapon and use something like armor spikes (or an unarmed strike, an attack with a boulder helmet, etc) as your off-hand weapon.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / How to get a second attack (in a turn) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.