Werewolf PCs


Rules Questions


So I researched some ways to make a werewolf PC suitably awesome. Namely, taking the Natural Weapon path as a ranger, and perhaps the Wild Stalker archetype to gain a few barbarian rage powers such as Beast Totem. (Thoughts/suggestions welcome)

The remaining question is what the racial modifier would be.

Lycanthrope wrote:
Challenge Rating: Same as base creature or base animal (whichever is higher) +1

...and wolves are CR 1. Does that make my modifier +1 or +2? Is it different for natural vs. afflicted lycanthropes?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Check out the Advanced Race Guide, and in it is the Race Builder section.

Check the RP count to determine the power level of the Werewolf as a Race.


...totally unfamiliar with the RP system- isn't it (wasn't it) based on CR?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

No.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think there was originally a very rough system for using CR to determine ECL, but the race builder replaced that system, and it's not based on CR.

It's a bit difficult to calculate since not all the abilities are listed in the race builder, but I'm estimating about 28 RP for a natural lycanthrope. That's worth about two levels from levels 1-5, one level up to level 10, and after that it's not a big difference. Breakdown here, using hybrid form abilities as they are most advantageous:

Ability scores 5 rp
** +2 str +2 con +2 wis -2 cha = Specialized (1rp) + advanced Wis (4 rp)

+2 Nat AC 3 rp

Scent 4 rp

Low-light vision 1 rp

Bite d6 3rp

Trip ~ 3rp
** based on tripping tail with similar benefit

DR 10/silver ~5rp
** 3 rp for DR 5/silver, +2 to raise DR 5/magic to DR 10/magic

Lycanthropic empathy ~1 rp
** based on rodent empathy

Alternate forms ~3rp
** based on lesser change shape


1 person marked this as a favorite.

We had a player in our carrion crown AP that wanted to do this.

We originally thought a shapeshifter ranger... but opted for a barbarian/alchemist build.

The fluff behind it is his father had been bitten by a werewolf before he was conceived so he was carrying the disease. As a result the PC carries that latent 'gene' using certain barbarian rage powers he simulated wolf like powers and characteristics while raging. Using it as "the change"
The character actually didnt rage as part of a game mechanic but rather at points in the story where he was angry/under stress like brice banner.

He takes a level of alchemist after finding a labratory in game and some books etc. He decides to study it to find a cure for himself.
Initially thinking the mutagen is a recipe for a cure, it actually makes him more beast like (inspired by the beast of xmen)
eventually he was planning on going master chymist to get the whole wolf form and different personality, and rage too boot.
Otherwise, most of the time, he's just a warrior,

the game ended when we sold our house and moved, so he never got all the way the master chemist, but thats how he planned on doing it.


The thing to watch out for is Synthesist syndrome. If it is a natural lycanthrope (the only one that a PC should be in control of) then you control when you shift. In hybrid form you can use the physical stats of the animal (plus the lycanthrope bonuses) and keep your mental stats. This can lead to abuse.


GrandReaper wrote:
The thing to watch out for is Synthesist syndrome. If it is a natural lycanthrope (the only one that a PC should be in control of) then you control when you shift. In hybrid form you can use the physical stats of the animal (plus the lycanthrope bonuses) and keep your mental stats. This can lead to abuse.

Actually, its a little worse then that, as written:

SRD wrote:
In human form, the lycanthrope's ability scores are unchanged from the base creature's form. In animal and hybrid form, the lycanthrope's ability scores are the same as the base creature's or the base animal's, whichever ability score is higher.

So if you happen to have a very beefy fighter that has more strength then a wolf (which isn't hard to do with only 13 str), you keep that modifier as a Human, Hybrid, and Animal. Abusable indeed.


Weirdo wrote:

I think there was originally a very rough system for using CR to determine ECL, but the race builder replaced that system, and it's not based on CR.

It's a bit difficult to calculate since not all the abilities are listed in the race builder, but I'm estimating about 28 RP for a natural lycanthrope. That's worth about two levels from levels 1-5, one level up to level 10, and after that it's not a big difference. Breakdown here, using hybrid form abilities as they are most advantageous:

Ability scores 5 rp
** +2 str +2 con +2 wis -2 cha = Specialized (1rp) + advanced Wis (4 rp)

+2 Nat AC 3 rp

Scent 4 rp

Low-light vision 1 rp

Bite d6 3rp

Trip ~ 3rp
** based on tripping tail with similar benefit

DR 10/silver ~5rp
** 3 rp for DR 5/silver, +2 to raise DR 5/magic to DR 10/magic

Lycanthropic empathy ~1 rp
** based on rodent empathy

Alternate forms ~3rp
** based on lesser change shape

I am going to quibble with your build. First you forget that this stacks on top of the PC's normal racial abilities and as Mr.Alarm noted you get the human or animal base stat, which ever is better, and you compare stat by stat.

This makes it well above 28 points.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

GM: as you head up the hill, you see the warehouse silhouetted by the sunset.

PC: Warehouse? What's a warehouse? Is that like a werewolf that's a person that turns into wolf, but instead the person turns into a house?

GM: (scribbling furiously) It is now!


Scott Wilhelm wrote:

GM: as you head up the hill, you see the warehouse silhouetted by the sunset.

PC: Warehouse? What's a warehouse? Is that like a werewolf that's a person that turns into wolf, but instead the person turns into a house?

GM: (scribbling furiously) It is now!

That's like the "Gazebo" strip from KODT


1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Thread Necromancer wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

GM: as you head up the hill, you see the warehouse silhouetted by the sunset.

PC: Warehouse? What's a warehouse? Is that like a werewolf that's a person that turns into wolf, but instead the person turns into a house?

GM: (scribbling furiously) It is now!

That's like the "Gazebo" strip from KODT

The gazebo story predates KoDT by a couple of decades.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
avr wrote:
The Thread Necromancer wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

GM: as you head up the hill, you see the warehouse silhouetted by the sunset.

PC: Warehouse? What's a warehouse? Is that like a werewolf that's a person that turns into wolf, but instead the person turns into a house?

GM: (scribbling furiously) It is now!

That's like the "Gazebo" strip from KODT
The gazebo story predates KoDT by a couple of decades.

On the same vein:

Head of Vecna


Diego Rossi wrote:
avr wrote:
The Thread Necromancer wrote:
Scott Wilhelm wrote:

GM: as you head up the hill, you see the warehouse silhouetted by the sunset.

PC: Warehouse? What's a warehouse? Is that like a werewolf that's a person that turns into wolf, but instead the person turns into a house?

GM: (scribbling furiously) It is now!

That's like the "Gazebo" strip from KODT
The gazebo story predates KoDT by a couple of decades.

On the same vein:

Head of Vecna

Love that story!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Werewolf PCs All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.