Vampire Hunter D


Conversions


What class would he be and stats? I've thought paladin but he's not really a holy warrior. Then ranger but he's more of a two handed wielder than two weapon fighter. Fighter seemed good but he has some magic. And magus just doesn't seem right for some reason but maybe it'll work. Any ideas or recommendations?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'd look into the Kinslayer, which is an archetype for a Dhampir Inquisitor. Seeing as D was a dhampir, should fit nicely.

Source: Advanced Race Guide.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
zauriel56 wrote:
What class would he be and stats? I've thought paladin but he's not really a holy warrior. Then ranger but he's more of a two handed wielder than two weapon fighter. Fighter seemed good but he has some magic. And magus just doesn't seem right for some reason but maybe it'll work. Any ideas or recommendations?

Well going the ranger you could always go Two-Handed

Two-Handed Weapon

If the Ranger selects two-handed weapon style, he can choose from the following list whenever he gains a combat style feat:

Cleave, Power Attack, Pushing Assault, and Shield of Swings.

At 6th level, he adds Furious Focus and Great Cleave to the list.
At 10th level, he adds Dreadful Carnage and Improved Sunder to the list.


Vampire Hunter Inquisitor? Oath against the Undead Paladin.

Sorry I would link but I am on my phone. And it has been a while since I read/watched VHD.


I've thought about building him as a cavalier.


D magic comes from his symbiotic left hand. He is also no a normal Dhampir, His father saw to that he was and experiment the only successful one out of many attempts. That why D is the oldest Dhampir, he older then most vampire by a few thousand years. Samurai/ Roinin would be the best choice for him. With leader ship feat cohort which would be his left hand. It can be a wizard or sorcerer. D use a Katana and ride a horses and follows a code of honor. He does not always fight two handed with with the weapon. Most of the time it one handed so his left hand can absorb spell and what not. Hunter Vampire is just his job, he does it to balance things out. His Vamperic heritage and power just make him ideal for hunter vampires. D is hardly a paladin as will not work with out being paid and it a very High sum. The only real vampire he is out to get of his own accorded is his father all others are just jobs.

Consider it a story writing by a Japanese man, and in the making of the 2nd movie he quoted saying, he wanted Japanese swords sounds. He was inspired by the American westwards most notable the book Shane. All D books end just as American westwards about the nameless Stranger riding off in to the sunset alone. He a lone wolf aka Roinin. Not Sure D would fit in with any party for long term thing. Great NPC thou.


Basically, His left hand is a Major Intelligent Artifact. Something similar to an Intelligent Hand Of Vecna.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Not a katana, but a nodachi.


What about stats with a 20 point buy?


zauriel56 wrote:
What about stats with a 20 point buy?

Str 16 (10), Dex 16 (5), Con 12 (5), Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12


That said, I think his stats would be much higher (as would most literary characters; converting our favorite fiction into d20/Pathfinder never lives up to our expectations).


Legendary Point Buy: 30 Points.

Or do the 75 full Stat Points all Stats start at 0 and are increased on a 1-For-1 basis.


I think exercises like this work better if you start by listing all of the special things you see the character do, and then working from there.

He can jump really far.
He can use his cape to prevent falling (VHD2).
He breaks from the grapple and pin of the 3 snake women, but I don't recall how (it's been a while).
He uses his hand to consume a bunch of monsters.
His hand revives him (stabilizes? uses Cure whatever Wounds? casts Raise Dead? or Break Enchantment?).
His hand annoys the hell out of him (first movie), or us (second movie).
He can sense enemies coming (Perception?), and find the hidden creature in a bunch of creatures.
He killed a whole room of things, and I vaguely recall him doing so NOT by dicing them up.
He likes to jump and attack.
He breaks from the telekinesis of a vampire lord (high saves? save reroll? Break Enchantment/Dispel Magic?).
He's quite skilled with his bigass sword (not a katana).
He can ride a horse and jump from a horse's back, though I don't think we ever see him fighting while mounted.
He can Snatch Arrows.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some things.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
yeti1069 wrote:

I think exercises like this work better if you start by listing all of the special things you see the character do, and then working from there.

He can jump really far.
He can use his cape to prevent falling (VHD2).
He breaks from the grapple and pin of the 3 snake women, but I don't recall how (it's been a while).
He uses his hand to consume a bunch of monsters.
His hand revives him (stabilizes? uses Cure whatever Wounds? casts Raise Dead? or Break Enchantment?).
His hand annoys the hell out of him (first movie), or us (second movie).
He can sense enemies coming (Perception?), and find the hidden creature in a bunch of creatures.
He killed a whole room of things, and I vaguely recall him doing so NOT by dicing them up.
He likes to jump and attack.
He breaks from the telekinesis of a vampire lord (high saves? save reroll? Break Enchantment/Dispel Magic?).
He's quite skilled with his bigass sword (not a katana).
He can ride a horse and jump from a horse's back, though I don't think we ever see him fighting while mounted.
He can Snatch Arrows.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some things.

The new Mythic rule set for PCs would cover a lot of these I think. It would also help to differentiate him from normal dhampirs. Personally, I think he would work great as an inquisitor.


Seconding RD's suggestion of a Mythic Dhampir Inquisitor.


D wears plate. I'd lean towards a two-handed fighter build so that he has some semblance of the mobility shown in the Manga/Anime.


http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1076824

Still in process


He also has the ability to release his full vampiric power that vastly increases his strength, not sure how you might represent that though.


Yuugasa wrote:
He also has the ability to release his full vampiric power that vastly increases his strength, not sure how you might represent that though.

Judgment Surge covers this somewhat. Favored Judgment covers his ability to take vampires as easily as he does.

As Divine casting doesn't have failure of somatic components in armor, he could just gain heavy armor proficiency and be covered.

He also has the Tumor Familiar Alchemist Discovery.

Mythic covers a lot of what D is capable of.


well im a bit late for this post, but im so interested in the new VHD content with the new comic releasing, but i love to know when the suplement will arrive (and if it will be solded here at paizo...)

Perhaps, W. Schnaider could say something about...


D would be extremely hard to model in Pathfinder... some defining traits about him:

Among the best swordsmen in existence

Wears armor without any apparent encumbrance

Extremely knowledgeable

His left hand can consume supernatural effects and is perhaps even more knowledgeable than D

He has an unsurpassed Will save.

Capable of entering a (psychic?) rage

Capable of feats of amazing athletics

I dont think you can do anything like that without Gestalting or being a GMPC.

I think you can get a lot of those down with a Mutation/Eldritch Guardian Fighter, at least the weapons, armor, rage-like ability, (tumor?) familiar and use the mutagen as a rage stand in. Make your familiar a Sage to cover knowledges and grab some extra mutagen effects to pad out his athletic capabilities. It call it close to the concept at least.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

there is an official Vampire hunter D booking coming out from Paizo via a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1951067948/vampire-hunter-d-message-fr om-mars/description

So we will see what they come up with. Good job on the nerco Juda.


Torbyne wrote:

D would be extremely hard to model in Pathfinder... some defining traits about him:

Among the best swordsmen in existence

Wears armor without any apparent encumbrance

Extremely knowledgeable

His left hand can consume supernatural effects and is perhaps even more knowledgeable than D

He has an unsurpassed Will save.

Capable of entering a (psychic?) rage

Capable of feats of amazing athletics

I dont think you can do anything like that without Gestalting or being a GMPC.

I think you can get a lot of those down with a Mutation/Eldritch Guardian Fighter, at least the weapons, armor, rage-like ability, (tumor?) familiar and use the mutagen as a rage stand in. Make your familiar a Sage to cover knowledges and grab some extra mutagen effects to pad out his athletic capabilities. It call it close to the concept at least.

I don't know about the whole "hand" thing, but your basically saying someone who can wear armor well and is a great swordsman who is also knowledgeable, athletic, and has strong will can't exist in pathfinder without help from the GM? Haha, what?


If you want to play Vampire Hunter D, don't play Pathfinder. Play something like Exalted or Anima.

If you insist on Pathfinder, an Inquisitor with the Sanctified Slayer and Reaper of Secrets archetypes along with the Possessed Hand line of feats is a good approximation. It'll be more a cosplay of D, but that's the best you can do. The power level in VHD just can't be emulated in Pathfinder. We're talking about a character who throws a wooden stake so fast that it literally lights on fire due to friction with the air - that's simply outside the scope of Pathfinder characters.


Johnnycat93 wrote:
The power level in VHD just can't be emulated in Pathfinder. We're talking about a character who throws a wooden stake so fast that it literally lights on fire due to friction with the air - that's simply outside the scope of Pathfinder characters.

That just sounds like a Supernatural Ability (or Extraordinary, doesn't matter) that his thrown weapons can light on fire and deal additional fire damage. Pretty sure there are abilities like this.

I'm know the ability looks cool an all, but it's not all that impressive when put on paper.


Sauce987654321 wrote:
Johnnycat93 wrote:
The power level in VHD just can't be emulated in Pathfinder. We're talking about a character who throws a wooden stake so fast that it literally lights on fire due to friction with the air - that's simply outside the scope of Pathfinder characters.

That just sounds like a Supernatural Ability (or Extraordinary, doesn't matter) that his thrown weapons can light on fire and deal additional fire damage. Pretty sure there are abilities like this.

I'm know the ability looks cool an all, but it's not all that impressive when put on paper.

They don't just light on far. They're thrown with such force that they light on fire due to friction with the air.

You can write down "+1d6 fire damage" but that's not the same. The projectile needs to have an insane amount of force behind it to simply light on fire from friction. Like atmospheric re-entry kinds of force.

My memory is a bit shaky on the books but if I recall some of his opponents can do things like cut the space between particles with a sword to generate explosions. In one of the later novels he gets trapped in a dimensional pocket and simply decides that he doesn't want to be in it anymore and it breaks.

D is a character that is just outside of the power scale of Pathfinder. You can give a character a lot of abilities that are cosmetically similar, but you can't start to capture that sort of power level without moving beyond mythic. It's easier to find a system that is already close to that level of power instead of trying to crank Pathfinder up - especially if you want D to be in a party with other characters.


From the VHD wiki:

D is immortal and over 10,000 years old

D has extreme regeneration even without the aid of his left hand

Quote:
One shining example of this power is when he allowed himself to be devoured by a group of five true vampires who were former pseudo-nobles, being torn into five major pieces and those pieces then ripped into smaller pieces. He burst forth from the heads of those five separate beings and reformed effortlessly without the aid of Left Hand.

Superhuman Strength exceeding 100 tons.

Superhuman Speed. While not exact, his interactions with other enemies have him travelling above mach 1. He has also dodged attacks that traveled several times faster than the speed of light from reaction speed alone.

Ability to create thralls like a normal vampire

Superhuman Durability. Part of his regeneration. He has been engulfed by a sun and survived no worse for wear.

Has the ability to will his blade to stretch to an infinite length

Genius level intellect

He can destroy wormholes and create dimensional rifts with his sword.

The list goes on for a while, but the point is that a character sheet in Pathfinder for D should just have "I Do What I Want" written in big bold letters.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, but ultimately that sort of ability is going to translate into something like "deals +xd6 fire damage." I mean how else do you translate it? It's not something your going to earn from having a high strength score, because it's going to have to come from an ability. That's not even impressive from a power perspective. Mythic characters, if made to do so, can literally throw weapons from the Earth to Pluto and hit dead on target (forgot the names of the powers). Doesn't make sense, but those abilities exist.

Barbarians can dispel magic by attacking while raging. That means that a Barbarian can destroy a demiplane of any size by punching it. Again, it's doable.


Sauce987654321 wrote:

Yeah, but ultimately that sort of ability is going to translate into something like "deals +xd6 fire damage." I mean how else do you translate it? It's not something your going to earn from having a high strength score, because it's going to have to come from an ability. That's not even impressive from a power perspective. Mythic characters, if made to do so, can literally throw weapons from the Earth to Pluto and hit dead on target (forgot the names of the powers). Doesn't make sense, but those abilities exist.

Barbarians can dispel magic by attacking while raging. That means that a Barbarian can destroy a demiplane of any size by punching it. Again, it's doable.

I wouldn't translate it, because translating it makes it absurd. That's my point.

For starters, because lighting on fire is a consequence of how hard he throws the stake and not some effect that boosts his damage (which is a different ability that he also has), we'll look at his strength score. Being conservative, let's say 100 tons is a heavy load (and he has no notable magic items in the book that give him an increased load). Based on the Carrying Capacity table his strength score should around 70. That said, he's never used his full physical strength that I can find so 70 is just the closest number I'm comfortable with based on what he does. For comparison, min-max threads usually cap at around 80 as the highest conceivable strength possible.

Speaking of throwing, he does throw his sword thousands of miles on one occasion with accuracy.

In the latest book he also gains the power to alter reality at will.

If that's not dramatically out of scale with everything else in Pathfinder (even Mythic) then I don't know what is. D is like pun-pun levels of broken.

It's only doable if you compromise the character and de-power him to fit in with the system. My point is that that's silly and the goal should be to compromise the character as little as possible, so move over to a system that already has a stupidly high power level. Not everything is meant to be ham-fisted into Pathfinder.

At the very least don't write down "+1d6 fire damage" and treat it like it's anything more than a cosmetic similarity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sauce987654321 wrote:
Torbyne wrote:

D would be extremely hard to model in Pathfinder... some defining traits about him:

Among the best swordsmen in existence

Wears armor without any apparent encumbrance

Extremely knowledgeable

His left hand can consume supernatural effects and is perhaps even more knowledgeable than D

He has an unsurpassed Will save.

Capable of entering a (psychic?) rage

Capable of feats of amazing athletics

I dont think you can do anything like that without Gestalting or being a GMPC.

I think you can get a lot of those down with a Mutation/Eldritch Guardian Fighter, at least the weapons, armor, rage-like ability, (tumor?) familiar and use the mutagen as a rage stand in. Make your familiar a Sage to cover knowledges and grab some extra mutagen effects to pad out his athletic capabilities. It call it close to the concept at least.

I don't know about the whole "hand" thing, but your basically saying someone who can wear armor well and is a great swordsman who is also knowledgeable, athletic, and has strong will can't exist in pathfinder without help from the GM? Haha, what?

I am not sure you are familiar with the character in question, its a combination of what in pathfinder would be armor training, weapon training, still mind, uncanny dodge, rage, 9th level phsycic casting, improved familiar, bardic lore, trapfinding... that is why it would be difficult to model in Pathfinder. What i was suggesting was taking some of the more common aspects of the character and attempting to copy those.


I understand that it's the friction that makes the object combust. The only real way to represent that is to have a, most likely, moderately high damaging ranged attack that gains fire damage upon being thrown. By the way, it doesn't have to be limited to only +1d6 fire damage.

100 tons for a character, especially with mythic rules, is pretty easy. Display of Strength adds 20, and Mule's Strength adds 5 that stacks with everything including itself. With items it's almost trivial. From what I remember, the 100 ton thing was a guesstimation from his powerful sword attacks. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Checkout Limitless Range, Mythic Far Shot, and Mythic Eagle Eyes. You can literally see and attack with a thrown weapon with maximum attack bonuses from any distance. So like I said earlier, Earth to Pluto, if you wanted to.

He can alter reality now? It depends on what degree, I guess. If it's like Miracle and Wish, two spells that are nearly limitless in potential, then that's easily his most powerful ability listed, so far.


Actual someone pointed out to me a while back, Blood Rager actually fits D type character very well, Dhampir Svetocher with aberrant bloodline. When I was trying to figure out how to make his left hand as tumor familiar.

D him self is not impossible to make in pathfinder when you add mythic teirs and that class.

Again the The only problem with his is his hand. Which does not fit with anything, currently. It being it own entity with own levels make a lot more sense. I thinking leadership cohort make a lot more sense then a type of familiar, This is where most of spell casting comes from.

There is already a creature that is close fit to his hand. it's Shikigami can merge with another creature or ward. The alignment is not correct but it is a close fit. you would just need to get as cohort instead of familiar so it can actual level up and get it's own abilities. Before they ruled improved familiar did not work with tumor familiar, any of the demons could have worked maybe worked also.

I actual find D one of the easier literary characters to make in pathfinder especially if have access to mythic tiers, despite how powerful he is, he can actually fits in to a single class and up to 20 levels, especial if you use unchained ABP. Because spell casting is a part of his world. There are others like Gutz from berserk that are hard to make with in 20 levels because of how many class different ability, and feat prerequisite, because he does not have spell casting abilities. to help bolster him for thou incredible things he does.


I think the Possessed Hand feats are a good approximation for the hand if we have to stick with Pathfinder.


Johnnycat93 wrote:
I think the Possessed Hand feats are a good approximation for the hand if we have to stick with Pathfinder.

I had not seen these feat until you mention it, they do fit well. I originally was looking into it because I wanted to make creature like parasite in the Anime parasyte. That could maybe also cast dispel magic. I don't think those feats where out at the time I was looking into. It does not seem the hand can cast it's own spell thou.


Torbyne wrote:
Sauce987654321 wrote:
Torbyne wrote:

D would be extremely hard to model in Pathfinder... some defining traits about him:

Among the best swordsmen in existence

Wears armor without any apparent encumbrance

Extremely knowledgeable

His left hand can consume supernatural effects and is perhaps even more knowledgeable than D

He has an unsurpassed Will save.

Capable of entering a (psychic?) rage

Capable of feats of amazing athletics

I dont think you can do anything like that without Gestalting or being a GMPC.

I think you can get a lot of those down with a Mutation/Eldritch Guardian Fighter, at least the weapons, armor, rage-like ability, (tumor?) familiar and use the mutagen as a rage stand in. Make your familiar a Sage to cover knowledges and grab some extra mutagen effects to pad out his athletic capabilities. It call it close to the concept at least.

I don't know about the whole "hand" thing, but your basically saying someone who can wear armor well and is a great swordsman who is also knowledgeable, athletic, and has strong will can't exist in pathfinder without help from the GM? Haha, what?
I am not sure you are familiar with the character in question, its a combination of what in pathfinder would be armor training, weapon training, still mind, uncanny dodge, rage, 9th level phsycic casting, improved familiar, bardic lore, trapfinding... that is why it would be difficult to model in Pathfinder. What i was suggesting was taking some of the more common aspects of the character and attempting to copy those.

I'll be honest, I haven't kept up with the character in years, so whatever new things he can do I might not be familiar with.

There are a few things that can be shaved off on your list, though, especially if we go Bloodrager

Armor Training could be substituted for 3 armor masterys if we go mythic. Honestly I'd rather bite the bullet and find some alternative to that, like magic or something.

Weapon Training isn't needed. It just provides a boost to attack and damage, as a Bloodrager has full base and rage.

Still Mind is just +2 against enchantments. You can still have a good will save without it.

Bloodrager has Uncanny Dodge.

Finding Traps is just Perception. If he has a high Perception it's not entirely needed, though he might have to be actively looking for them if he doesn't have something in his spell list.

I get that converting him isn't the easiest thing to do, that's fine. What does peeve me is when people state that he's too powerful for pathfinder mechanics no matter what, even after I prove that point to be wrong.


Yeah, building D in pathfinder is all about finding compromises and thematic stand ins, the character is basically god like in power and even then statted Pathfinder gods often cant match D at his most extreme. I say Still mind but it is close to immunity to mind effects. He rarely displays any difficulty in shrugging off psychic attacks and i dont think he has ever actually failed a will save that i've seen. Attempts to influence his mind usually turn into a shocker for the BBEG, "WHat, no, how could he be so powerful... ack dying horribly, how, how, how!" so a +2 is bad but just saying he has high will is also a disservice.

D can in no way be modeled in Pathfinder rules in the same way he is represented in his novels, i dont think you are hearing what we are saying about him. here are some highlights from the character's wiki:

Regeneration- One shining example of this power is when he allowed himself to be devoured by a group of five true vampires who were former pseudo-nobles, being torn into five major pieces and those pieces then ripped into smaller pieces. He burst forth from the heads of those five separate beings and reformed effortlessly without the aid of Left Hand.

Superhuman Strength- Limits of D's strength is unknown. He has shown strength in the excess of 100 tons when cutting a mountain range in the novel Twin-Shadowed Knight. He's torn apart highly durable tanks of the Nobility and of The Sacred Ancestor's Army with his bare hands as if they were tissue paper. When he landed on his feet after Sigma propelled him to just around light speed he was at a state of near infinite mass.

Superhuman Speed- He also dodged and countered the light speed swinging speed of Nolt Marcus with such ease he was able to land on top of it while he was swinging it and casually stand there waiting for the next swing. On other occasions he has dodged/cut lightning bolts, and lasers. He is known through out the Frontier for having cut lasers many times in particular. Shown to be able to track and follow the movements of shotgun bullets at point blank range knocking the bullets out of the air with a branch he happened to pick up off the ground.

Superhuman Durability- Has taken extreme punishment. Which includes been impaled, eviscerated, all his inner organs ruptured, absorbed a nuke blast, survived a collision with a meteor that sent him flying for miles, have a miniature sun envelop his body, covered in magma and frozen at subzero temperatures, withstand blows from enemies who can crush 100 tons and mountain ranges, and crashed at faster than light speed fighting Sigma. Has also resisted and countered molecular manipulation of his body multiple times such as being turned into water or his insides trans-mutated into a sun.

High Intelligence- Genius level or above having showed a deep understanding of multiple fields of science, technology of the Sacred Ancestor, and multiple disciplines. Has shown speed reading, a photographic memory, and mimic ability. Master detective, expert in psychology, highly logical reasoning. Easily negates manipulations and uncovers deception. He is one of the only people on the planet who can come close to the Sacred Ancestor in this area who is the undisputed most intelligent on earth and possibly the universe at large.

Vast Knowledge- Having spent much of his long life traveling, D has acquired a vast resource of knowledge ranging from Noble history, to even local folklore of small villages.

Combat Experience- D possess millenniums worth of combat experience and is very rarely ignorant of the techniques employed by his foes. D is a master swordsmen and able to use his sword in versatile ways.

Marksmanship - Rarely misses even the fastest most agile of foes/objects.

Weapon Master- Naturally adept and well versed with all known weapons.

Master Tracker - Master at tracking techniques even when absent of one or more of his senses.

Master Tactician- Well versed in all forms of combat strategy. Valcua who is second only to the Sacred Ancestor in Leading military forces was bested by D, leading a small force using military tactics.

Perpetual Power Growth- His over all power and ability constantly grows over time which further throws his opponents off besides him masking or only using a small percentage of power.

Telepathy- Has shown some telepathy. He and Left Hand have scoffed at attacks powerful enough to destroy all the minds in a city in an instant. They have communicated this way but usually choose not to. Reasons unknown.

Telekinesis- As seen in the Animated Movies.

Reality Altering Powers- D has either acquired new time/space powers in the latest novels, or has just now been given a chance to use them.

And despite the absurd length of this list its still only part of his power set. literally mock up a Gestalt everything 20 / Mythic 10 and you will have huge gaps in what D is capable of. Dude could beat up Superman and Goku and not break a sweat.

So what you come back to is, "eh, pick a few abilities of his that are cool and you can get a basic theme that follows it."


is the stuff from the wiki true in as in the novel sourced with quotes to prove it? Never trust anything off a wiki, as any one can edit those. I have only gotten up to book 8 so maybe they are accurate.

I never see D wear anything out side of basic leather, so armor training is not even needed based on pathfinder rules. D most likely uses combat expertise and fights defensively almost always. thus he seems like he has a high ac.

he has failed will save before happen in 1st book if i am remember correctly. he was held and gotten staked in the heart which allowed his hand to save him.

Regen can be explained via DR in pathfinders or actual regeneration/fast healing. Which all can be gotten via feats or alternate race based traits, or magic items, even horror adventure corruptions maybe. Way of the wicked AP has a large number of feats listed in it that can slowly change you into master vampire.

Str can be attained via mythic rules, I am sure.

Superhuman Speed - is it really superhuman speed or is it an insite bonus allowing him to see it before it happens so he knows when to react. AC insite bonus reflects this. I don't think he ever actual ran at super human speed.

durability is again covered by DR

for his int, 16+ is considered genius so that is not that hard to get.

his knowledge, is just two knowledge skill, religion for undead(the nobility in his world), knowledge local for all the local lore.

Combat Experience - just mean he has a lot of combat feats and high base attack.

Marksmanship - decent dex with high base attack covers that.

Weapon Master - this is just repented by full bab class.

Master Tracker - survival plan and simple covers this, just means he has max ranks in it. maybe even skill focus.

Master Tactician - this is not used in pathfinder at all, any instances will be skill checks of some sort. Profession soldier I seen uses in adventures as a check.

Perpetual Power Growth - self imposed penalties or failures. (just means based on who he is fighting he uses, in miss or fails things are intentionally.) much like him being level 15+ but he only runs into level 7 and acts like he level 7.

Telepathy - this is covered via familiar and Possessed Hand feats has stated above. (the attacks that effect most people in city in a d world are level 1 commoners also it is explain in book 1 and 2 that most people for some reason instantly forget anything or everything about the nobles weakness, they have programmed this way. this can be explained with them be level 1 commoners and use the horror adventures fear and insanity rules.) This is why D scoff at this he is not effected like them and make his will saves. he could actual be immune to mind effect with the vampire feats.

Telekinesis- i don't remember that in any of the movies. do you remember what parts, D could easily have a ring of Telekinesis.

Reality Altering Powers - 1st level caster do this. It is one of the biggest complaint that cause martial vs casters debates. Casters narrative have power and the ability to alter reality.

Because D actual uses magic and spells ability this actual make him easier to make, then most martial base literary characters. Maybe D is level 40 pathfinder is not limited to level 20, Rules do exist for going past level 20 in the core rule book. So D is build-able


KainPen wrote:

is the stuff from the wiki true in as in the novel sourced with quotes to prove it? Never trust anything off a wiki, as any one can edit those. I have only gotten up to book 8 so maybe they are accurate.

I never see D wear anything out side of basic leather, so armor training is not even needed based on pathfinder rules. D most likely uses combat expertise and fights defensively almost always. thus he seems like he has a high ac.

he has failed will save before happen in 1st book if i am remember correctly. he was held and gotten staked in the heart which allowed his hand to save him.

Regen can be explained via DR in pathfinders or actual regeneration/fast healing. Which all can be gotten via feats or alternate race based traits, or magic items, even horror adventure corruptions maybe. Way of the wicked AP has a large number of feats listed in it that can slowly change you into master vampire.

Str can be attained via mythic rules, I am sure.

Superhuman Speed - is it really superhuman speed or is it an insite bonus allowing him to see it before it happens so he knows when to react. AC insite bonus reflects this. I don't think he ever actual ran at super human speed.

durability is again covered by DR

for his int, 16+ is considered genius so that is not that hard to get.

his knowledge, is just two knowledge skill, religion for undead(the nobility in his world), knowledge local for all the local lore.

Combat Experience - just mean he has a lot of combat feats and high base attack.

Marksmanship - decent dex with high base attack covers that.

Weapon Master - this is just repented by full bab class.

Master Tracker - survival plan and simple covers this, just means he has max ranks in it. maybe even skill focus.

Master Tactician - this is not used in pathfinder at all, any instances will be skill checks of some sort. Profession soldier I seen uses in adventures as a check.

Perpetual Power Growth - self imposed penalties or failures. (just means based on who he is...

Its been a long time since i really followed the character but everything on the wiki seemed about right, often they cited the sequence of events that they came from.

To be clear, D completely shrugs off being thrown at near speed of light and impacting with almost infinite mass. he just walks it off. nothing in Pathfinder approaches that level of godliness.

One of his enemies literally swings a weapon at FTL speeds and D dodges it by jumping onto the shaft and balancing on it. he can respond to and deflect laser beams. he must be using some kind of ESP since your eyes are no good for things moving at or faster than light speed but still, for him to respond to those events means he is likewise moving faster than light.

His intelligence is hinted at being on par with not just the greatest in the world, but the greatest in the universe.

TO further elaborate on his strength, "Superhuman Strength- Their strength is well beyond all humans. Even those with high quality Combat Suits who can amplify strength hundreds some thousands of times. Cyborgs are also considered stronger than any combat suit and Vampires outclass them as well. Vampires strength is well into the many tons of strength. A Greater Nobles's strength level is into the hundreds of tons level but can be amplified further with necromancy, technology and other means at their disposal. Chosen ones can amplify their strength further" D is by far the greatest of the "successes" or "chosen ones"

His telekinesis is usually when he gets really pissed off, in both movies he lets loose with crazy mind powers during the BBEG showdown.

Lots of things in pathfinder mimic these themes, nothing short of multiple quickened wish spells and tons of wish-contingencies could really emulate them.

The weird thing about him is that he constantly chooses to hide his power and use only fractions of his potential. its not locked away or hard to use, he just chooses not to do it. plot reasons i guess.

At other places in his bio it emphasizes that he can will himself to becomes stronger if he feels the need. like, literally, maybe before he could only lift a small mountain and that was his absolute limit but then we decides he needs to be able to throw the moon at someone so he wills it and then that is his new limit.

At later points in his timeline he picks up actual godlike powers to completely rewrite history to his desire while also being immune from others being able to affect him with such powers. he is Wish proof.

So yeah, you can copy the look but never the feats of D.


Erm, sounds like a ridiculous amount of wish-fulfillment crammed into one character.

Playing a Dhampir Ranger with the Possessed Hand feat line should be plenty enough. Throw in the 1hp/hour ioun stone and you can regrow limbs, too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wonderstell wrote:
Erm, sounds like a ridiculous amount of wish-fulfillment crammed into one character.

A lot of his stories play off of how wretchedly overpowered he is, yet he remains unable to save those he cares about repeatedly throughout his travels. It's incredibly sad all the time, I had to stop reading the books because they kept bumming me out.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Johnnycat93 wrote:
Wonderstell wrote:
Erm, sounds like a ridiculous amount of wish-fulfillment crammed into one character.
A lot of his stories play off of how wretchedly overpowered he is, yet he remains unable to save those he cares about repeatedly throughout his travels. It's incredibly sad all the time, I had to stop reading the books because they kept bumming me out.

^This.

D isn't a character, he's a plot device.


Quote:
To be clear, D completely shrugs off being thrown at near speed of light and impacting with almost infinite mass. he just walks it off. nothing in Pathfinder approaches that level of godliness.

When you say nothing in Pathfinder can do that, do you mean just the PCs? There are a number of monsters, not all necessarily powerful ones, that possess abilities that can ignore all damage upon getting hit. By extension, they would be capable of the same thing.

I forget the particular monsters that have this, but I can find them if someone cares to look.

The whole thing on intelligence, take Display of Intelligence and Flash of Omniscience and you'll be the smartest guy around.

I'm not sure what FTL melee attacks look like, as in what are the bonuses? To me, it just sounds like a high attack roll and called FTL. There are monsters that can move at FTL speeds, such as the Solar Dragon or creatures that have Mythic Time Stop. So there's that. If dodging lasers is anything impressive, anyone could make a 4th level Monk with really high touch AC and avoid all laser attacks fired by a group of trained soldiers surrounding the Monk.


Sauce987654321 wrote:
Quote:
To be clear, D completely shrugs off being thrown at near speed of light and impacting with almost infinite mass. he just walks it off. nothing in Pathfinder approaches that level of godliness.

When you say nothing in Pathfinder can do that, do you mean just the PCs? There are a number of monsters, not all necessarily powerful ones, that possess abilities that can ignore all damage upon getting hit. By extension, they would be capable of the same thing.

I forget the particular monsters that have this, but I can find them if someone cares to look.

The whole thing on intelligence, take Display of Intelligence and Flash of Omniscience and you'll be the smartest guy around.

I'm not sure what FTL melee attacks look like, as in what are the bonuses? To me, it just sounds like a high attack roll and called FTL. There are monsters that can move at FTL speeds, such as the Solar Dragon or creatures that have Mythic Time Stop. So there's that. If dodging lasers is anything impressive, anyone could make a 4th level Monk with really high touch AC and avoid all laser attacks fired by a group of trained soldiers surrounding the Monk.

What you are suggesting is the same thing that i am suggesting, find the aspects of the character you like and there are ways to follow the theme of that with Pathfinder but using daily resources and spells to mimic D's always-on abilities is not the same, he doesn't expend effort at all to be possibly the most intelligent thing in the universe. Something that moves at FTL speeds in pathfinder just moves really fast and usually either outside of combat of acts as a teleport, it doesnt get to transfer that momentum into an attack like D does, that is the kind of thing i mean when i say Pathfinder cant model him, how many D6's would it take to represent an impact with an infinite mass?. As Rysky says, he is a plot device that unlike most common hero representations, is not meant to have a limit in what he is capable of. which means that you cant assign a limit to his abilities that is accurate to his accomplishments in the novels. You would just have to hand waive him as an unstatted thing, "he tears apart the adamanine golem with his bear hands as a swift action" it happens but you dont use rolls or abilities to represent it.


Just wanted to update everyone, they released the vampire hunter D paizo pdf from kickstarter today. he is level 20, new hybrid class, that is a mix of slayer, and Inquisitor mostly, that is specialized vs undead. he is also non mythic, but it says that he his build at this point is based on the early novels, manga, and movies. he is also built on 25 point buy unlike normal npcs and D has big inherit bonus to some of his stats. because of his lineage. As for his hand it is a large feat chain. Similar to the possessive hand chain. some of the feats are word for word the same, but it has a different name, and because of the name it open up to other feats that do competently differing things like dispel magic ect. There is also two arch types in there one for rangers to be lycn hunters and one for the spiritualist.


Would it be possible to take both the Possessed Hand feat, and Countanced Carbuncle feat?


nothing stops you but, you would not get much benefit from it, since like bonus don't stack, unless they are untyped. the number bonus in the two feats chains seem to be all typed the same. It would be a huge number of feats, to build both up, to access all those things few things that are different between them. You could have two hands that have a mind of their own. It could be kind of funny, but you would have no other feats.

Now if you are asking if you can access Possessed hand feats as a by using the countenanced carbuncle feat as it prerequisite replacement and vice versa. The answer is no RAW, but in a home game GM may allow it. It still eats up a large number of feat. I don't have my pdf in front of me, but I am pretty sure the countenanced carbuncle line is 5 or 6 long feat chain. While Possessed hands feats is 4 or 5 long.


I'm also AFB for a couple more hours, so I'm not sure. I also wasn't sure of the typing on the bonuses, so I wasn't sure about the stacking. I'm almost picturing both opening feats to create an almost hybrid of D and Ashton from Star Ocean: Second Story. Only with his hands, not dragons.


both the 1st feat Possessed Hand feat, and Countanced Carbuncle feat are worded identically both granted +1 insight bonus to attacks and damage with 1-one handed or light weapons, and same bonus to some skill check. The only other feat that I am pretty sure is identical. Is the Hand's Autonomy feat. The detachment, and the knowledge feat (different skills) are slightly different, if i am remembering correctly. I will look at compare later today.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Conversions / Vampire Hunter D All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Conversions