Phrases that are driving you bonkers


RPG Superstar™ General Discussion

701 to 733 of 733 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Dedicated Voter Season 6

3 people marked this as a favorite.

That island can link up with the Nightmare Before Christmas universe, ja? ;) Seems appropriate.

Also, I wondered about that dolly for YEARS and actually looked it up over Christmas during a discussion with some friends.

Wikipedia wrote:
Dolly is voiced by Corinne Conley and is a seemingly normal girl rag doll with red hair and a red gingham dress. Her misfit problem is never explained on the special, but was possibly revealed on NPR's Wait Wait… Don't Tell Me! news quiz show (broadcast December 8, 2007). The show revealed that Rudolph's producer, Arthur Rankin Jr., says Dolly's problem was psychological, caused from being abandoned by her mistress and suffering depression from feeling unloved.

...So...I'm just going to leave it at that. <<;

And yeah, we have gone off on a tangent. I'm running out of new items that are driving me nuts, though. Other than every item that I see that isn't mine, as I still have yet to see my own.

Oh, wait, I did see one last night! Items with saves/checks that make no sense. Either they don't conform to Pathfinder rules or they do but they're so far off the mark they may as well be ignoring the rules.

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7

Chris Mortika wrote:
Incidentally, what was wrong with the dolly?

There was another thread on this somewhere, I think, but if I recall correctly she had some kind of depression issue. Nobody wants a sad doll.

EDIT: DOUBLE NINJA

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

Leave it to people raised in the 1950s to presume every not-immediately-visible problem is psychological. And they gave it to a female doll, too! What a surprise... </soapbox>

<return to topic>
Items that do nothing at all are fun. >.<

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The driving bonkers thread is drying up...

You think you've seen it all...

False security sets in...

Yeah, nothing new to say now...

Then *that* meme suddenly shows up from nowhere!

You know the one, the one that make's Clark turn into Paula mode and say things like "Come on peeps, this is RPG Freekin' Superstar" and "Really?..." (Miz mode engaged) "...Really? Really? You thought that was Superstar? Swing for the fences!".

I saw it today.

I went Paula.

I turned momentarily into Clark!

I wasn't sure if that was good or bad, so took a break - grin.

RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6 aka Breelo Babblebock

Anthony Adam wrote:

The driving bonkers thread is drying up...

You think you've seen it all...

False security sets in...

Yeah, nothing new to say now...

Then *that* meme suddenly shows up from nowhere!

You know the one, the one that make's Clark turn into Paula mode and say things like "Come on peeps, this is RPG Freekin' Superstar" and "Really?..." (Miz mode engaged) "...Really? Really? You thought that was Superstar? Swing for the fences!".

I saw it today.

I went Paula.

I turned momentarily into Clark!

I wasn't sure if that was good or bad, so took a break - grin.

You have just seen my nemesis. Just when you think you are safe....

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7

Anthony, I got exactly zero of those references.

Champion Voter Season 6, Champion Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Champion Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Orthos wrote:
Anthony, I got exactly zero of those references.

For most of them, be thankful.

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka mamaursula

thunderspirit wrote:

Leave it to people raised in the 1950s to presume every not-immediately-visible problem is psychological. And they gave it to a female doll, too! What a surprise... </soapbox>

<return to topic>
Items that do nothing at all are fun. >.<

Absolutely they gave it to the dolly, because girls were placed on pedestals and overlooked when it came to character creation and development.

Now I know what I'm going to create for next year's contest - a full line of misogynistic Silver Screen inspired cosmetics. Perfume that has pheromones that increase your Cha, hairbands that give you bonuses to your Bluff, nail lacquer that improves your Dex, the list goes on and on.

Watch out Paizo, mamaursula's gonna enter next year's contest!

Yeah, we've definitely plumbed the depth of the things that drive us bonkers. Do we have a Top 32 yet or what?

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7

Sadly I did not think to grab more than three or four of the "oooh now that's cool!" items and save them while I was voting.

Star Voter Season 6

mamaursula wrote:
thunderspirit wrote:

Leave it to people raised in the 1950s to presume every not-immediately-visible problem is psychological. And they gave it to a female doll, too! What a surprise... </soapbox>

<return to topic>
Items that do nothing at all are fun. >.<

Absolutely they gave it to the dolly, because girls were placed on pedestals and overlooked when it came to character creation and development.

Now I know what I'm going to create for next year's contest - a full line of misogynistic Silver Screen inspired cosmetics. Perfume that has pheromones that increase your Cha, hairbands that give you bonuses to your Bluff, nail lacquer that improves your Dex, the list goes on and on.

Watch out Paizo, mamaursula's gonna enter next year's contest!

Yeah, we've definitely plumbed the depth of the things that drive us bonkers. Do we have a Top 32 yet or what?

I have already seen at least one of those, so points off for creativity.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Star Voter Season 8

Chris Mortika wrote:

"Ho ho ho! What? I thought this was the Island of Misfit Toys."

"No, Santa, this is the Island of Toys from Razor Coast." [snikt]

Incidentally, what was wrong with the dolly?

Strangely enough, I recently heard someone else ask that same question...

Maybe she's hiding some sort of deep trauma?

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16, 2012 Top 32 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Marathon Voter Season 9 aka Epic Meepo

1 person marked this as a favorite.
mamaursula wrote:
Now I know what I'm going to create for next year's contest - a full line of misogynistic Silver Screen inspired cosmetics. Perfume that has pheromones that increase your Cha, hairbands that give you bonuses to your Bluff, nail lacquer that improves your Dex, the list goes on and on.

Too late. Those were already created for this year's contest.

Shadow Lodge RPG Superstar 2015 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka mamaursula

Eric Morton wrote:
Too late. Those were already created for this year's contest.

Curses! Foiled again!

Champion Voter Season 6, Champion Voter Season 7, Champion Voter Season 8, Champion Voter Season 9

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

ARRRGH! I hate it when I vote on two items, then have the exact same items come up immediately only flipped! That is annoying!

Dedicated Voter Season 6

My roommate and I were having something similar happen while voting the other night, except we both kept ending up getting the same pair of items at the same time, just flipped. Not sure if that's because we're voting from the same internet connection (with different accounts) like was mentioned on another thread or what. It happened like three times though.

Also, I've found that the particularly over the top items sound better if you read them in the style of Billy Mays or Vince from the Shamwow commercials. Or it's at least more entertaining.

Also, I'm under the weather and my cold medicine may be kicking in...

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Locke1520

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Eric Morton wrote:
Too late. Those were already created for this year's contest.

Now I thought that was part of the joke...

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
agirlnamedbob wrote:
Also, I've found that the particularly over the top items sound better if you read them in the style of Billy Mays or Vince from the Shamwow commercials. Or it's at least more entertaining.

I went with Troy McClure myself...but the sentiment is basically the same.

Dedicated Voter Season 6

4 people marked this as a favorite.
thunderspirit wrote:
I went with Troy McClure myself...but the sentiment is basically the same.

Hi, I'm Troy McClure and you might remember this item from Sean's Consolidated Advice Thread, RPG Superstar 2013 Edition...

Incidentally, I'm going to have a hard time not hearing that voice in my head when I read your posts for a while.

I also tend to read certain items (ones with a lot of backstory and one just because of the name) in the voice of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple. <<; Really hoping someone here gets that.

Marathon Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

You must CHOOSE your next path! LOL

Dedicated Voter Season 6

Yes!

Note to self: Next year submit a design for The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus...

...Except not really.

Back on topic, though... I'm still searching for my item. Not seeing it, but I am finding some other trends.

  • Mirrors. Pretty sure in the last half an hour I saw every mirror I've seen thus far, plus a new one.
  • Items that are actually several items. I've seen a few of these that were nifty, but I still wish they'd just picked one thing and shot for the moon with it rather than tried to make everything.
  • Some assembly required/additional pieces sold separately/batteries not included items. Kind of a broad category, but I'm seeing a lot of items that fall here. Items that only function in sets/are made in sets but are sold individually. Items that don't do anything unless another magical item is inserted/applied/attached. Items that have their "true power revealed" when another magic item gets involved. This gets really tricky because now I have to buy more items to make this item work. That also needs to be considered when pricing and balancing the item for a given power level.
  • Faulty logic items. I keep quoting the Kevin James bit from his stand up special Sweat the Small Stuff: "So...If we're agreeing she's a magic carpet...Where are you getting two hours?" Just...Think everything through when you're balancing your item and make sure it makes sense... In the context of the game as a whole and in the context of everything you described previously.

So those are the big ones right now...

Champion Voter Season 6

agirlnamedbob wrote:

Yes!

Note to self: Next year submit a design for The Levitating Dog Leash of Nostradamus...

...Except not really.

So will it levitate without being attached to a dog?

What about zombie, construct and were-dogs?

Does it work for other animals or monsters?

Does the dog need to named Nostradamus or did Nostradamus just make the first one?

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

We need to let our future selves know not to use attuned but use " it must worn for 24 consecutive hours in order for its magic to take effect again". Can some one send me a reminder in December.

Dedicated Voter Season 6

I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but I'm sick and tired of "Ghostbusters" items, i.e. items that reveal the presence of ghosts (or other undead), make them corporeal or otherwise vulnerable, suck in ghosts like a vacuum cleaner, or items that disguise you as ghosts or undead.

These items have been done to death, pun intended. :p

Dedicated Voter Season 6, Marathon Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

KatDangerous wrote:

I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but I'm sick and tired of "Ghostbusters" items, i.e. items that reveal the presence of ghosts (or other undead), make them corporeal or otherwise vulnerable, suck in ghosts like a vacuum cleaner, or items that disguise you as ghosts or undead.

These items have been done to death, pun intended. :p

I just voted one up. I think we had one last year that was well received(goggles that let you see incorporeal things). But yes the ghost traps are getting old as in 80's old.

Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Marathon Voter Season 8, Dedicated Voter Season 9

Aaron Miller 335 wrote:
KatDangerous wrote:

I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but I'm sick and tired of "Ghostbusters" items, i.e. items that reveal the presence of ghosts (or other undead), make them corporeal or otherwise vulnerable, suck in ghosts like a vacuum cleaner, or items that disguise you as ghosts or undead.

These items have been done to death, pun intended. :p

I just voted one up. I think we had one last year that was well received(goggles that let you see incorporeal things). But yes the ghost traps are getting old as in 80's old.

I think that's the main point...it was done last year. There are several items where I start reading the first paragraph and say to myself, "This is just a copy of xx from year xxxx."

That's usually the point at which I stop reading that item and switch to the other. I've voted for some pretty bad items in favour of a year xxxx knock-off.

Dedicated Voter Season 6

Lanterns that reveal stuff, tankards related to... guess which deity, items that split you in two or make you jump forward in time or otherwise allow you to flank a foe with a copy of yourself... all these were good items the first time they made the top 32. The second time, well, the judges saw something in them that I didn't. But a third time? Hell no, not voting for them. There's gotta be unused design space somewhere out there that doesn't involve these and other tired old item types, something new and innovative.

Marathon Voter Season 6

2 people marked this as a favorite.

728 posts in, and only one post of this thread applies to mine, and that was a deliberate decision. Whoo!


Feros wrote:
ARRRGH! I hate it when I vote on two items, then have the exact same items come up immediately only flipped! That is annoying!

It is more annoying when you get the same pair of a more or less matched items a few votes later and you don't recall how you voted before.

Scarab Sages Contributor , Dedicated Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka Steven T. Helt

I'm tired of items that screw undead (they aren't scary anymore, anyway) and items related to swarms. Where'd the swarm craze come from.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16 , Marathon Voter Season 6, Dedicated Voter Season 7, Dedicated Voter Season 8, Star Voter Season 9 aka RainyDayNinja

Cheapy wrote:
728 posts in, and only one post of this thread applies to mine, and that was a deliberate decision. Whoo!

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. The only thing I've seen mentioned on this thread that applies to my item is one of the common themes (but not a bad one). So my stomach is tied in fewer knots than it would be otherwise as I wait for the results.

Scarab Sages Star Voter Season 6

I did my duty. I voted over 100 today -- carefully read every entry, and never voted "both" -- which took a few hours. I focused upon whether the concepts were viable for a basic fantasy game with PF and I saw plenty items that were interesting and evocative, and even few that were humourous (yet effective).

Good luck to all those who made submissions! :-)

Edit: forgot to add, very little was annoying so I suppose the "bonkers" inducing entries have been finally culled.

701 to 733 of 733 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Paizo / RPG Superstar™ / General Discussion / Phrases that are driving you bonkers All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion