Ravingdork's Crazy Character Emporium


Advice

2,051 to 2,100 of 2,770 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Hopefully, Occult Origins and/or Occult Realms will add support to the class with new toys.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Reckless wrote:

Hopefully, Occult Origins and/or Occult Realms will add support to the class with new toys.

This was my thought too. Can't wait!


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

CHARACTER ERRATA

Due to the latest Advanced Race Guide errata, the following characters have been adjusted.

Alleunti Dilesi, 6th-level elf deceiver - Could no longer afford the mask of stony demeanor; switched it out for a generic homebrew +5 Bluff item.

Father Grigori, 9th-level human mastermind - Could no longer afford the mask of stony demeanor; switched it out for a generic homebrew +5 Bluff item.

Lailah Hael, 9th-level aasimar healer - Reduced effectiveness of positive channel energy due to aasimar oracle favored class bonus errata.

Nives Burer - Could no longer afford the mask of stony demeanor; switched it out for a unique homebrew mask he created himself.

Yiankun Lee, 15th-level halfling earth sorcerer - Dropped page of spell knowledge (haste) so as to be able to afford the mask of stony demeanor.

Though I hated all the paperwork it caused, I largely support this particular round of errata (for the Advanced Race Guide). Some of those things did need changing.

That being said, that's 15 characters I've had to rebuild this week alone. Hopefully, Paizo will give us a break soon.

Silver Crusade

For Rina Lhorn, what made you decide to go with the +5 armor bonus instead of the +3 shield bonus for the defense talent? Wouldn't wearing regular armor and going with the shield bonus be overall more effective?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Aziraya Zhwan wrote:
For Rina Lhorn, what made you decide to go with the +5 armor bonus instead of the +3 shield bonus for the defense talent? Wouldn't wearing regular armor and going with the shield bonus be overall more effective?

With burn, the armor bonus ends up being much higher than that from mundane armor at the lower levels. At higher levels, when she can afford magical armor (particularly the kind that works well with her high Dexterity) than the shield option likely would be the better choice.

It's also a mermaid thing.

Silver Crusade

Ah, I see. So it was basically a "This is better for now, will probably switch it later when more resources become available". Makes sense.

But I will admit, flavor-wise it's much cooler.


Ravingdork wrote:
Aziraya Zhwan wrote:
For Rina Lhorn, what made you decide to go with the +5 armor bonus instead of the +3 shield bonus for the defense talent? Wouldn't wearing regular armor and going with the shield bonus be overall more effective?

With burn, the armor bonus ends up being much higher than that from mundane armor at the lower levels. At higher levels, when she can afford magical armor (particularly the kind that works well with her high Dexterity) than the shield option likely would be the better choice.

It's also a mermaid thing.

Technically true, but you could have given her something mithral chain for +4 AC and no spell failure chance which would let her use her defense for a shield bonus netting her a total ac bonus of +7 instead of +5.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
Aziraya Zhwan wrote:
For Rina Lhorn, what made you decide to go with the +5 armor bonus instead of the +3 shield bonus for the defense talent? Wouldn't wearing regular armor and going with the shield bonus be overall more effective?

With burn, the armor bonus ends up being much higher than that from mundane armor at the lower levels. At higher levels, when she can afford magical armor (particularly the kind that works well with her high Dexterity) than the shield option likely would be the better choice.

It's also a mermaid thing.

Technically true, but you could have given her something mithral chain for +4 AC and no spell failure chance which would let her use her defense for a shield bonus netting her a total ac bonus of +7 instead of +5.

As the man said, he decided to trade the +2 advantage for Looks of Cool.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Tels wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
Aziraya Zhwan wrote:
For Rina Lhorn, what made you decide to go with the +5 armor bonus instead of the +3 shield bonus for the defense talent? Wouldn't wearing regular armor and going with the shield bonus be overall more effective?

With burn, the armor bonus ends up being much higher than that from mundane armor at the lower levels. At higher levels, when she can afford magical armor (particularly the kind that works well with her high Dexterity) than the shield option likely would be the better choice.

It's also a mermaid thing.

Technically true, but you could have given her something mithral chain for +4 AC and no spell failure chance which would let her use her defense for a shield bonus netting her a total ac bonus of +7 instead of +5.

16,000gp - belt of incredible dexterity +4

301gp - masterwork spear
8gp - potion sponges (4)
750gp - potion, fins to feet
150gp - potions, mage armor (3)
6,000gp - seafoam shawl

What exactly would you haven give up for the mithral armor? The shawl that let's her adventure on land at all, or the belt of dexterity that allows her to hit things for reliable damage. The rest of it doesn't cover the cost of the armor.

Considering her class abilities gave her a decent armor class already, and that she is generally a ranged combatant unlikely to be directly attacked often, I didn't feel the need diminish her abilities elsewhere for what would have amounted to a minor gain (at too severe a cost elsewhere in my estimation).

And also, the portrait clearly wasn't wearing any armor... :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

"Only a small spark is needed to fan the flames of war."
- Hagor, Hobgoblin Mercenary

Hagor, a 7th-level pyrokineticst, is an intelligent career soldier of fortune who favors ambush tactics and other close, straightforward assaults. During battle he will often set up smoke screens to blind and debilitate his foes while he spreads fire and panic amongst their dying screams. His gas mask, air crystals, and firesight ensure that he never succumbs to the choking smoke as well. He fights without fear, knowing full well that his talisman protects him from death, bestowing a one time breath of life upon him before crumbling into worthless dust upon his death.


Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER!

"Only a small spark is needed to fan the flames of war."
- Hagor, Hobgoblin Mercenary

Hagor, a 7th-level pyrokineticst, is an intelligent career soldier of fortune who favors ambush tactics and other close, straightforward assaults. During battle he will often set up smoke screens to blind and debilitate his foes while he spreads fire and panic amongst their dying screams. His gas mask, air crystals, and firesight ensure that he never succumbs to the choking smoke as well. He fights without fear, knowing full well that his talisman protects him from death, bestowing a one time breath of life upon him before crumbling into worthless dust upon his death.

Here I am, telling people repeatedly that Kineticists are more than just blasters, they can make great ambushers, scouts and guerrilla styled characters, and then you come along and make a perfect example of one :P


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Tels wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER!

"Only a small spark is needed to fan the flames of war."
- Hagor, Hobgoblin Mercenary

Hagor, a 7th-level pyrokineticst, is an intelligent career soldier of fortune who favors ambush tactics and other close, straightforward assaults. During battle he will often set up smoke screens to blind and debilitate his foes while he spreads fire and panic amongst their dying screams. His gas mask, air crystals, and firesight ensure that he never succumbs to the choking smoke as well. He fights without fear, knowing full well that his talisman protects him from death, bestowing a one time breath of life upon him before crumbling into worthless dust upon his death.

Here I am, telling people repeatedly that Kineticists are more than just blasters, they can make great ambushers, scouts and guerrilla styled characters, and then you come along and make a perfect example of one :P

I don't see them as blasters so much as (and forgive me for referencing Fourth Edition) really amazing strikers. They absolutely excel at the hit and run style of fighting. I'd say they are more of a combat support class rather than a primary combat class. In that role though, they absolutely excel.

Silver Crusade

Ravingdork wrote:
I don't see them as blasters so much as (and forgive me for referencing Fourth Edition) really amazing strikers. They absolutely excel at the hit and run style of fighting. I'd say they are more of a combat support class rather than a primary combat class. In that role though, they absolutely excel.

Speaking of a hit and run playstyle, I'm certainly looking forward to using the Ride the Blast talent especially paired with Air's Reach. Out scouting and found yourself in a bad situation? Just Ride the Blast straight out of there (or at least just get behind some cover). Depending on what infusions and talents you have, you just gave yourself a lot of movement (with Snake infusion you can go around corners) in a single standard action which you can still pair with your normal movement speed.

Personally I plan on going the Kinetic Blade route so I'm going to make a lot of use of Ride the Blast to close gaps before full attacking the turn afterward. Kind of like a "priority target eliminator". If things start to look a bit hairy I just zoom out of there. If you have Ride the Blast, barring extreme circumstances you should never be "caught" in melee if you don't want to be there.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

CHARACTER UPDATE

I went ahead and bumped Hagor up to 8th-level so he stands a little more apart from his counterpart, Rina Lhorn, and also so people can see the power jump that occurs at that point in a kineticists career.

Rather than a gas mask and air crystals, he is now outfitted with a necklace of adaption, making him wholly immune to his own smoke clouds. With his new, higher level funds, he has also been rounded out with potions of healing, which any soldier should carry.

In addition, he now has a higher intelligence (I reworked the numbers a bit to account for his 8th-level bonus) as well as new ranks in Escape Artist and Heal, skills I felt were appropriate for a soldier, should he ever be captured or wounded.


Ravingdork wrote:

CHARACTER UPDATE

I went ahead and bumped Hagor up to 8th-level so he stands a little more apart from his counterpart, Rina Lhorn, and also so people can see the power jump that occurs at that point in a kineticists career.

Rather than a gas mask and air crystals, he is now outfitted with a necklace of adaption, making him wholly immune to his own smoke clouds. With his new, higher level funds, he has also been rounded out with potions of healing, which any soldier should carry.

In addition, he now has a higher intelligence (I reworked the numbers a bit to account for his 8th-level bonus) as well as new ranks in Escape Artist and Heal, skills I felt were appropriate for a soldier, should he ever be captured or wounded.

You should probably make a note somewhere that Hagor has a 10% chance of spell failure due to his armor.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Tels wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

CHARACTER UPDATE

I went ahead and bumped Hagor up to 8th-level so he stands a little more apart from his counterpart, Rina Lhorn, and also so people can see the power jump that occurs at that point in a kineticists career.

Rather than a gas mask and air crystals, he is now outfitted with a necklace of adaption, making him wholly immune to his own smoke clouds. With his new, higher level funds, he has also been rounded out with potions of healing, which any soldier should carry.

In addition, he now has a higher intelligence (I reworked the numbers a bit to account for his 8th-level bonus) as well as new ranks in Escape Artist and Heal, skills I felt were appropriate for a soldier, should he ever be captured or wounded.

You should probably make a note somewhere that Hagor has a 10% chance of spell failure due to his armor.

Why would that be? Psychic spells and SLAs in general ignore Arcane Spell Failure.


MusicAddict wrote:
Tels wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

CHARACTER UPDATE

I went ahead and bumped Hagor up to 8th-level so he stands a little more apart from his counterpart, Rina Lhorn, and also so people can see the power jump that occurs at that point in a kineticists career.

Rather than a gas mask and air crystals, he is now outfitted with a necklace of adaption, making him wholly immune to his own smoke clouds. With his new, higher level funds, he has also been rounded out with potions of healing, which any soldier should carry.

In addition, he now has a higher intelligence (I reworked the numbers a bit to account for his 8th-level bonus) as well as new ranks in Escape Artist and Heal, skills I felt were appropriate for a soldier, should he ever be captured or wounded.

You should probably make a note somewhere that Hagor has a 10% chance of spell failure due to his armor.
Why would that be? Psychic spells and SLAs in general ignore Arcane Spell Failure.

Forgot the point about Psychic spells not being arcane (same reason Kineticist can't use Arcane Strike). However, lots of other people had indicated that the Kineticist was subject to spell-failure. Since I don't have the book yet, I had thought there was some specific rule for the Kineticist.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

To my knowledge, absolutely nothing about ANY of the new occult classes is subject to arcane spell failure.

Everything is either psychic in nature, or is a spell-like ability, none of which are subject to arcane spell failure.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:

To my knowledge, absolutely nothing about ANY of the new occult classes is subject to arcane spell failure.

Everything is either psychic in nature, or is a spell-like ability, none of which are subject to arcane spell failure.

Only the medium's archmage bonus spells are subject.


Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER!

Introducing the 10th-level human rogue, Jobe the Lesser, conman extraordinaire!

Regarding the forged documents. Can you take 20 for making those? Is that because it's starting equipment?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Lostcause78 wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER!

Introducing the 10th-level human rogue, Jobe the Lesser, conman extraordinaire!

Regarding the forged documents. Can you take 20 for making those? Is that because it's starting equipment?

Why wouldn't you be able to take 20? It just takes 20 times as long.

Just make sure to have lots of paper and a big eraser on hand. :P

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I am surprised you have time to create characters, having to basically rebuild so many, after the mass of errata.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

More a matter of interest than time. Occult Adventures is filling my head with all sorts of new ideas.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Claon Tonkinelm, aka the Black Dread, the Pate Popper, Sir Tiny Tonk, the Terrible Tinman, Tinny Tonk - 13th-level gnome psychic war machine (inventor)

Claon is a savvy inventor who doesn't mess around. Most famed for his bruising intellect and sharp tongue, he is also well known for possessing his war machines and stepping on smaller enemies, or simply causing people's heads to explode.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Warran Qualar, 3rd-level human psychic (psychedelic?) knight

He's a knight, and a psychic, with mind-altering subst--erh, powers.


I'm loving all of these Occult characters!

Will we be seeing a Spiritualist anytime soon?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
TheOddGoblin wrote:

I'm loving all of these Occult characters!

Will we be seeing a Spiritualist anytime soon?

I haven't yet come up with a concept for the Spiritualist. Only a matter of time though.


Been toying around with the dimensional dervish featline lately so i would like to add two mechanical setups. ( Meaning they have no personality other than their theme )

They are taken from Paizo sources, but i am not sure about their PFS viability. The only deviation from this thread in terms of creation is that one of them is 15 points and the other is 34 points, i put this in the sheets "campagin" for future reference.

Dimensional Dervish of Drawn lvl 10, 34-point buy

Ranger/Red Mantis ( Crimson ) Assassin "dimensional demigod hunter" lvl 20, 15-point buy


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Did you have trouble placing documents in the Public Submissions folder too, Dracoknight?


Ravingdork wrote:
Did you have trouble placing documents in the Public Submissions folder too, Dracoknight?

Yeah, it could have been my connection, a infini-load page that ended in a disconnect.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Niscies Craven, 15th-level (equivalent) human ghost pyschic sorcerer - tortured spirit enslaved by a demon lord to wreak havoc upon the world for all eternity

Backstory:

“You are naught but dust, and like dust you shall be scattered!”

Pale as the midnight moon and as translucent as a wispy cloud, Niscies appears far from human. Her eyes glow with the bright light of undeath, her wild black hair constantly moves around her face as if it had a life of its own, and her hands tremor with psychic power. She wears a long purple robe with fiery phoenixes sewn onto the sleeves and a bright red sash around her waist to hold it together. These regal garments, having been buried with Niscies’ corpse, are as immaterial as her translucent flesh.

Utterly insane, Niscies craves more and more psychic power, believing that it is the only way for her to discover the secret to immortality. She is willing to do anything to accomplish her goals and is not the slightest bit concerned about ethics or morals, seeing them merely as obstacles that could impede her research. She doesn’t realize that she is a ghost, instead believing that her special abilities are merely another part of her psychic potential.

In truth, Nisces was a sickly sorceress in life who sought freedom from her ails and everlasting immortality above all else. Her search consumed her for many years. Finally she succeeded in her goal by sacrificing her soul to a powerful demon lord. Although she was granted immortality in the form of undeath in return, the demon lord’s trickery has only served to drive her even more insane. She now wonders the world as an enslaved ghost still trying to find the secrets to immortality—not even realizing that she has already secured her former life’s dream. The demon lord directs her movements across the material plane, continually plying her with empty promises of an eternal reward, effectively transforming her into a near-mindless plague of death and destruction that ravages all in its path.

Not only does she suffer from severe denial, but Niscies is also so deluded by the demon’s lies, that any attempts to make her see the truth of her undead existence only serves to drive her into a blind fury. Reaching out to her in such a fashion only serves to remind her (on a subconscious level) that the one thing she ever truly wanted in life is the very thing that has resulted in her eternal anguish. When not manipulated by her unholy master, she adventures freely in search of the psychic secrets of the world, though any alliances she may make with the living along the way generally prove to be short lived.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

What's your favorite class and why?

Mine? I like sorcerers. Their bloodlines just cover so many cool concepts and they are SO easy to play!

At my last count, of the 165 or so characters in the gallery, about 29 of them are sorcerers. Is that too many? :P


I don't have a favorite class, perse, but I do have a favorite character type that lends itself well to certain classes. Namely, being a lightly armed and lightly armored warrior the relies on his speed and agility to defend himself.

This means I tend to prefer classes like the Rogue/Ninja, or Monk. I also really enjoy the concept of Gish classes (such as the Bard, or Magus) which also tends to be mixed in with the above lightly armed and armored warrior.

It's why I was so totally pleased with the Kineticist playtest and why I'm so enthralled with the full release, even though I don't have it yet. I can easily merge my two favorite styles of classes together into a single class, without running out of abilities (one of my biggest annoyances with the vancian gish classes).

But, if I had to pick an absolutely favorite class, right now, I'd have to say Rogue. But a large part of that is because one of the 'most fun' characters I've every played, was a rogue. Also I've had the mental picture for a type of character in my mind for years (and is my go-to mental portrayal of "adventurer") that is most closely associated with the Rogue.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

At last count there may be as many as 13 rogues in the gallery. About 11 monks in total. I think there is only one ninja.


I like the summoner, but the sorcerer is a close competitor.

I am also enthralled with the building possibilities and the easiness of play of the kineticists. Unfortunately, it is a class that would need a lot of love to be at the same level of options that others. And I don't know if that will be the case.


I'm partial to the oracle, since the many combinations of mysteries and curses can add a lot of spice to characters, even more so with a bit of reflavoring. Also, it's a decent full caster with easy access to armor, which is a huge bonus for me.


well... i like many classes. for different reasons.
my very best one ? a druid.
first - they can go ANYWHERE. caster, melee, summoner, hybrid and scout.
i love saurian \ lion for the standard action summon, decent pet and amazing abilities.
i mostly build a 16str \ 16wis for a decent "i can do everything" .yes, i wont top the DPR system - but always able to act is great.

i LOVE cavalier, halflings or dwarf with undersized mount.
my halfling is a charger that max bluff and diplomacy - riding a Gecko.
my dwarf is a bear rider - order of the dragon tank. massive one.

i love barbarians, although with so few feats they must REALLY focus - cant be great in all. i am building a 1/2 orc next, that will use grapple and a chain in his fights. spell sunder is just unique - and i will take 1 level in oracle to get rage cycle.

i am eager to play a lore warden X \ monk 2 - to make maneuvers work.

and ofc, a cleric or oracle that have a huge animal companion. he will cast\heal \ buff - pet will KILL.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Challenge!

The new Mindblade Magus.

I don't care how you build it.

I just want to see someone build one.

Oh, by the way, if ever you want to build Bread Crumbs at different levels, and/or point buys, I will be, um, ecstatic.

Your build of Bread Crumbs has already been used, I believe, three times.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
blackbloodtroll wrote:

Challenge!

The new Mindblade Magus.

I don't care how you build it.

I just want to see someone build one.

Oh, by the way, if ever you want to build Bread Crumbs at different levels, and/or point buys, I will be, um, ecstatic.

Your build of Bread Crumbs has already been used, I believe, three times.

I second both the Mindblade and of course Bread Crumbs, mine players love Bread Crumbs (and I too)!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I accept your mind blade challenge!

Did you want a higher level NPC Breadcrumbs, or PC Breadcrumbs?
(My asking this question in no way guarantees that this will actually happen.)


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Any plans on doing an Occultist with the necroccultist archetype in the future? It seems like a solid archetype (then again it's hard to go wrong with necromancy!) with lots of flavour and I would be interested in how you would build it.

Also thirding the mindblade magus. I'm surprised an archetype like that only just came out to be honest.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I do intend to create one or more characters for the other occult classes, but unlike the kineticist and psychic, I'm not likely to rush them out as I'm just not as excited about them (I haven't even read the necroccultist archetype yet).


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Aldiss Lear, 9th-level human mindblade - A nasty psychic magus capable of assaulting both a foe's body and his mind. As for traditional blade work, he is capable of moving up to his enemy* and getting as many as 6 melee touch attacks**, which means he generally makes short work of the opposition. If he is already in melee, he can assault the body with excruciating deformation (dealing ongoing damage, ability damage, and debuffing the target) or ravage the mind with mind thrust III (dealing a respectable 9d8 damage, Will half).

Gaseous form allows him a method of entrance or escape not common in martial characters; heart of the metal allows his mindblades to ignore hardness and material-based damage reduction despite being made of psychic energy; and bladed dash, haste and phantom steed grant him great battlefield mobility. Silence and invisibility make him better than a rogue at sneaking, whereas heroism, mirror image and shield help to further shore up his defenses in combat. Storm of blades, shocking grasp, and magic missile help to round out his combat abilities.

*:
Via bladed dash

**:
Via bladed dash, haste, and accurate strike


Favorite class would probably have to be the Barbarian because of the versatility of the rage powers and archetypes. Little bit of everything in there.

Second to that, my favorite would be the sorcerer as well, for the exact same reasons.

I issue a challenge also, I'd love to see your take on a Spiritualist!


About Breadcrumbs I'll like whatever you do with him.
Mine primary Kingmaker Party already met him a first time in his NPC guise (Expert), but I'm planning of having him as a recurring NPC even for the secondary Party of Kobold PCs (the heirs of the Sootscales tribe, now fostered by the PC's Kingdom rulers).


I really enjoy the concept of Aldiss. I'm fairly new to pathfinder, and I've wanted to build a magus for quite a while and I want to make one similar. Different spell choices and whatnot but this is a outline for me. The one thing that's confusing me is with bladed dash. How are you getting 6 attacks? It says "You may make a single melee attack at your highest base attack bonus against any one creature you are adjacent to at any point along this 30 feet."

I'm just lost at where the other 5 attacks come from I mean I understand haste lets you do one more. But it's a standard action to cast the spell right? So how can you attack more after that standard action to cast bladed dash?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Dizi_Izzi wrote:

I really enjoy the concept of Aldiss. I'm fairly new to pathfinder, and I've wanted to build a magus for quite a while and I want to make one similar. Different spell choices and whatnot but this is a outline for me. The one thing that's confusing me is with bladed dash. How are you getting 6 attacks? It says "You may make a single melee attack at your highest base attack bonus against any one creature you are adjacent to at any point along this 30 feet."

I'm just lost at where the other 5 attacks come from I mean I understand haste lets you do one more. But it's a standard action to cast the spell right? So how can you attack more after that standard action to cast bladed dash?

Spell Combat lets you cast a spell AND make a full attack in the same round. So he gets one attack (and movement) from bladed dash, then another two attacks from his base attack bonus, then another two off-hand atatcks thanks to dual-wielding. The final attack would have to come from haste.

1 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 6

Note that the mindblade archetype SPECIFICALLY STATES that you can wield your mindblades in both hands and still treat your off-hand as free for the purposes of spell combat. Dual-wielding while making use of spell combat is something most magi just can't do--and is a big part of what makes the mindblade unique among the class archetypes.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I had not realized the Mindblade could do some of those things. Now I am excited to build my own.

For Breadcrumbs, it does not matter if it is higher level, or PC built.

It's just a fun character!


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
blackbloodtroll wrote:
I had not realized the Mindblade could do some of those things. Now I am excited to build my own.

They give up quite a lot for it though.

Arcane pool and spellcasting are replaced by psychic equivalents. Spell recall, knowledge pool, improved spell recall, greater spell combat, greater spell access, heavy armor, improved spell combat, and medium armor all get taken out. In return you get psychic access, dual weapons, rapid manifest, and dual manifest.

An exchange of 8 abilities in return for half that many. It's clear that Paizo was worried that dual-wielding with spell combat and spontaneously casting off of intelligence might be really powerful.

Looking at it I can tell you the archetype is going to have some real problems with staying power. It also can't combine it's weapon enhancement class abilities with existing magical weapons, so if you have a +3 soulblade, that's ALL you have (versus a normal magus who might have a +5 flaming weapon at the same level between his class abilities and weapon enhancement).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW ROLEPLAYING TOOL!

Wild Talent Sorter for Kineticist Players

A big thanks to Talon Stormwarden for piecing together the original framework.

This tool will allow you to sort through all of the kinesticist's wild talents, blast wild talents, basic blast wild talents, composite blast wild talents, defense wild talents, infusion wild talents, infusion substance wild talents, infusion form wild talents and utility wild talents, all without fear of ever getting confused by them again. ;P

2,051 to 2,100 of 2,770 << first < prev | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Ravingdork's Crazy Character Emporium All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.