Ravingdork's Crazy Character Emporium


Advice

2,001 to 2,050 of 2,770 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
gustavo iglesias wrote:
I searched the d20psrd fo solid shadows and didn't find it. Is it Paizo identity property?

Yes, I don't use third party products in any of my work.

The Solid Shadows metamagic feat comes from the recently released Monster Summoner's Handbook (which is why it's not on the PFSRD or the Archives of Nethys probably; it's too new). It requires Spell Focus (illusion), increases the realism of certain shadow spells by 20%, and raises the effective spell slot level by 1.


Ravingdork wrote:
gustavo iglesias wrote:
I searched the d20psrd fo solid shadows and didn't find it. Is it Paizo identity property?

Yes, I don't use third party products in any of my work.

The Solid Shadows metamagic feat comes from the recently released Monster Summoner's Handbook (which is why it's not on the PFSRD or the Archives of Nethys probably; it's too new). It requires Spell Focus (illusion), increases the realism of certain shadow spells by 20%, and raises the effective spell slot level by 1.

Thanks.

(BTW: By Paizo Identity I meant the Paizo intelectual property which can't be put in d20pfsrd, because it's Golarion specific. I'm not sure if it's the right name. It's not the case, though, it seems it's just too new)

EDIT: it actually goes live in June, 24th. I guess people with subscription already have it, though.


gustavo iglesias wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
gustavo iglesias wrote:
I searched the d20psrd fo solid shadows and didn't find it. Is it Paizo identity property?

Yes, I don't use third party products in any of my work.

The Solid Shadows metamagic feat comes from the recently released Monster Summoner's Handbook (which is why it's not on the PFSRD or the Archives of Nethys probably; it's too new). It requires Spell Focus (illusion), increases the realism of certain shadow spells by 20%, and raises the effective spell slot level by 1.

Thanks.

(BTW: By Paizo Identity I meant the Paizo intelectual property which can't be put in d20pfsrd, because it's Golarion specific. I'm not sure if it's the right name. It's not the case, though, it seems it's just too new)

EDIT: it actually goes live in June, 24th. I guess people with subscription already have it, though.

Actually, most every bit of crunch data from Golarion specific books makes it onto d20pfsrd, it just has to change the names of Golarion specific things, like Whispering Way, Sarenrae, Hellknight etc.


Ravingdork, where did you find the img of Geyger Yates?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

DeviantArt most likely. It's where I pick up most of the character artwork.


Ravingdork wrote:
DeviantArt most likely. It's where I pick up most of the character artwork.

Thank You, another question why Geyger Yates can use major magic 10/days in stand of 5/days

Sovereign Court

Just found this thread. Can you point me to the most recent, workable files?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Chelios wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
DeviantArt most likely. It's where I pick up most of the character artwork.
Thank You, another question why Geyger Yates can use major magic 10/days in stand of 5/days

His favored class bonus gives him 1/2 his level in extra uses of major magic.

Malikjoker wrote:
Just found this thread. Can you point me to the most recent, workable files?

In the first post, near the bottom, there is a "master link" which will take you to an archive of all of the characters, along with several other useful tools such as character portraits and GMing tools.

If you like what you see, be sure to favorite the first post.


Ravingdork wrote:
Chelios wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
DeviantArt most likely. It's where I pick up most of the character artwork.
Thank You, another question why Geyger Yates can use major magic 10/days in stand of 5/days

His favored class bonus gives him 1/2 his level in extra uses of major magic.

Malikjoker wrote:
Just found this thread. Can you point me to the most recent, workable files?

In the first post, near the bottom, there is a "master link" which will take you to an archive of all of the characters, along with several other useful tools such as character portraits and GMing tools.

If you like what you see, be sure to favorite the first post.

If only this were YouTube and you could get paid for every viewing of your gallery :(


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Tels wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
Chelios wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
DeviantArt most likely. It's where I pick up most of the character artwork.
Thank You, another question why Geyger Yates can use major magic 10/days in stand of 5/days

His favored class bonus gives him 1/2 his level in extra uses of major magic.

Malikjoker wrote:
Just found this thread. Can you point me to the most recent, workable files?

In the first post, near the bottom, there is a "master link" which will take you to an archive of all of the characters, along with several other useful tools such as character portraits and GMing tools.

If you like what you see, be sure to favorite the first post.

If only this were YouTube and you could get paid for every viewing of your gallery :(

Well, I'm not really in it for the money, and even if I was, it would be a bad idea, as I would likely get sued for commercializing the artwork.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW PLAYTEST VIGILANTE CHARACTER!
Caybun Weer, aka the Dark Knight, has been statted out using the new Vigilante class from the Ultimate Intrigue playtest.

What do you think? How does he compare to his non-vigilante counterpart?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER

Kujo the Butcher (9th-level seascarred unchained rogue)

There are few pirates more feared throughout the Inner Sea than the one known as Kujo the Butcher. Infamous for his vicious and bloody fighting style as well as his excessive cruelty, Kujo revels in the violent dismemberment of his foes, never missing a chance to put on an especially gruesome display for enemies and allies alike. Many are the stories in which he slowly carved into his prisoners with his many knives or consumed their flesh in an orgy of blood.

Though many a jest and rumor claim that Kujo has shark blood in his veins, few outside of his immediate crew are actually aware of Kujo’s heritage as one of the abominable seascarred—distant cousins to true weresharks. He is loath to reveal this secret to outsiders and is quick to devour anyone who might question him on the matter. Kujo has always felt an almost spiritual connection with the ocean and, like most seascarred, makes his living on or near the open sea (as a pirate in his case, or as a butcher when the need to lay low arises). The sea is his god and it constantly demands sacrifice and blood-stained waters, and Kujo is all too happy to oblige.

Nearly as famous as Kujo himself, is the giant hooked axe he carries with him at all times. Called “Wavesplitter,” the axe is said to have been a war trophy taken from a river giant lord with which Kujo once had a dispute. After butchering its former owner, Kujo had the axe head modified to look especially menacing, to better fit his frightening personality. He even went so far as to hang a stylized ribbon made of its former owner’s hair from its haft—a constant reminder to all that none are too big to be cut down to size.

As a strength-based rogue, if his enemies don't get to him first, Kujo favors charging ahead, axe leading; very much like a shark darting after a fish. After landing his first blow his foe must suddenly contend with a host of horrible side-effects including bleed damage, debilitating injury penalties, demoralization, penalties to natural armor, the and the sickened condition. He is, in effect, the ultimate rogue debuffer.

What's more, as Kujo flenses his enemy, the horrific display not only terrifies surrounding foes as well, but also emboldens his allies to serve him better. With a single charge attack and a half way decent intimidate roll, it is quite possible for Kujo to send an entire deck full of enemies diving overboard in blind fear.

Should his enemies not flee in terror or die too quickly, Kujo bides his time, circling like a shark with his allies and hacking chunks off of his foe with his menacing axe (which boosts everyone's ability to flank).

Meant for an aquatic campaign, Kujo's ability to breathe underwater or swim like a fish is sure to serve him well. Even in a land-bound adventure, his ferocity and bite attack are sure to make him a fearsome foe.

Though some of his archetype abilities (brutal beating) are somewhat redundant with his flensing strike feat, the latter only works on living creatures susceptible to bleed. Thus, when fighting a creature immune to bleed damage, brutal beating still proves quite useful to have on hand.

If your GM/fellow players don't like the idea of an evil character, simply change his alignment to Neutral. Most seascarred are neutral and he can be played off as a butcher with occasional blood urges rather than a complete psychopath.

Enjoy!

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I am having trouble accessing the main folder for your PCs.

Do you have a link?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
blackbloodtroll wrote:

I am having trouble accessing the main folder for your PCs.

Do you have a link?

Here you go. I noticed OneDrive recently underwent some upgrades. It might be related to the trouble you're having.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Thanks man.

By the way, variations of Bread Crumbs has been used in three games already.

My favorite, is when he, was a she, and was run with a personality much like Tree Trunks from Adventure Time.

So, if you ever want to make higher level versions, you can be assured it will be used even more often.


Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER

Kujo the Butcher (9th-level seascarred unchained rogue)

There are few pirates more feared throughout the Inner Sea than the one known as Kujo the Butcher. Infamous for his vicious and bloody fighting style as well as his excessive cruelty, Kujo revels in the violent dismemberment of his foes, never missing a chance to put on an especially gruesome display for enemies and allies alike. Many are the stories in which he slowly carved into his prisoners with his many knives or consumed their flesh in an orgy of blood.

Though many a jest and rumor claim that Kujo has shark blood in his veins, few outside of his immediate crew are actually aware of Kujo’s heritage as one of the abominable seascarred—distant cousins to true weresharks. He is loath to reveal this secret to outsiders and is quick to devour anyone who might question him on the matter. Kujo has always felt an almost spiritual connection with the ocean and, like most seascarred, makes his living on or near the open sea (as a pirate in his case, or as a butcher when the need to lay low arises). The sea is his god and it constantly demands sacrifice and blood-stained waters, and Kujo is all too happy to oblige.

Nearly as famous as Kujo himself, is the giant hooked axe he carries with him at all times. Called “Wavesplitter,” the axe is said to have been a war trophy taken from a river giant lord with which Kujo once had a dispute. After butchering its former owner, Kujo had the axe head modified to look especially menacing, to better fit his frightening personality. He even went so far as to hang a stylized ribbon made of its former owner’s hair from its haft—a constant reminder to all that none are too big to be cut down to size.

As a strength-based rogue, if his enemies don't get to him first, Kujo favors charging ahead, axe leading; very much like a shark darting...

My god.... now that is what a Rogue is supposed to be! Not just bonus damage, but you feel bloody awful after a Rogue lands a single blow on you.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Tels wrote:
My god.... now that is what a Rogue is supposed to be! Not just bonus damage, but you feel bloody awful after a Rogue lands a single blow on you.

At higher levels, he could take the Power Attack and Hurtful feats, or perhaps Disheartening Display, Gory Display or Shatter Defenses. :D


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Introducing the 10th-level human rogue, Jobe the Lesser, conman extraordinaire!


Literally Rumormonger.

Literally.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
DominusMegadeus wrote:

Literally Rumormonger.

Literally.

When I first started he was primarily supposed to be a master forger who was able to get just about anything he wanted through guile and deceit alone.

EDIT: I've expanded on his background.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Meet Cúran, an 8th-level elf oracle with a 12th-level animal companion. Like many elves, she is quite attuned to nature, so much so that the voices of nature spirits never really stop talking to her.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Meet Dag, a 12th-level coldborn hunter with a mean reptile companion.

Thanks to his Animal Soul and Improved Spell Sharing feats, he can cast atavism and animal growth on himself and his companion simultaneously. That's a net +12 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +8 Constitution, +4 Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma! His buff potential is damn scary. Imagine his beast with 42 strength, huge size, with strong jaw and barkskin cast on it. A real thunder lizard indeed! And it fits in houses and can be carried through town as easily and innocuously as a figurine of wondrous power.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

CHARACTER ERRATA

Due to new FAQ clarifications, a number of characters have been modified (almost universally for the worse) to better fit these official changes, as follows:

Crimm Corran no longer possesses two ki pools with a total sum of 25 ki points, but one ki pool with only 12 ki points. (Relevant FAQ)

Nudel, the Devourer, now suffers the appropriate penalties for her wild dragonhide full plate and heavy shield even while wild shaped. I have replaced one of her feats with heavy armor proficiency in order to mitigate some of these penalties. (Relevant FAQ)

Lily Oleander was not so effected by the above FAQ as Nudel (her armor had no armor check penalty), but was technically wearing illegal studded leather. I've changed it from standard studded leather to greenwood studded leather enchanted by the ironwood spell.


:(


The wild enchant nerf is a tough nerf for druids, indeed

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

By "FAQ Clarifications", you mean Errata, AKA Rules Changes.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
gustavo iglesias wrote:
The wild enchant nerf is a tough nerf for druids, indeed

Indeed it is. I can't imagine someone taking it now over say, a +3 suit of barding for their favored form. (Make it an armored coat and you can don it as a move action even!)

blackbloodtroll wrote:

By "FAQ Clarifications", you mean Errata, AKA Rules Changes.

No kidding! I'm not a big fan of these kinds of "stealth errata."


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

CHARACTER UPDATE

I've corrected Vallairs Urn's stealth modifier and added his favored class bonus (additional +2 natural armor bonus while wild shaped), which was missing previously.


So... got any plans for the Occult classes?

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Have you seen the Occult Adventure Pregens?

They are so out there, I challenge you to make a more interesting version of any of the classes.

Seriously, the Spiritualist is an old woman, who fights enemies with her dead husband, and the Pyrokineticist is a literal pyromaniac child, with PTSD.


Ravingdork, your Crazy Character Emporium on OneDrive is missing. Are currently transferring files or could it be a problem on my end?


Angry Wizard wrote:
Ravingdork, your Crazy Character Emporium on OneDrive is missing. Are currently transferring files or could it be a problem on my end?

Seems to work fine for me... Although, I still can't upload anything to the public folder ಠ_ಠ


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Angry Wizard wrote:
Ravingdork, your Crazy Character Emporium on OneDrive is missing. Are currently transferring files or could it be a problem on my end?

Have you tried the master link at the bottom of the first post? I haven't uploaded anything since last night, and my having done so shouldn't really interrupt much of anything anyways.

Tels wrote:
Angry Wizard wrote:
Ravingdork, your Crazy Character Emporium on OneDrive is missing. Are currently transferring files or could it be a problem on my end?
Seems to work fine for me... Although, I still can't upload anything to the public folder ಠ_ಠ

After testing it out a few times (just now), it looks like you have to have a Microsoft account, and you must be signed into it on OneDrive.


Ravingdork wrote:
Angry Wizard wrote:
Ravingdork, your Crazy Character Emporium on OneDrive is missing. Are currently transferring files or could it be a problem on my end?

Have you tried the master link at the bottom of the first post? I haven't uploaded anything since last night, and my having done so shouldn't really interrupt much of anything anyways.

Tels wrote:
Angry Wizard wrote:
Ravingdork, your Crazy Character Emporium on OneDrive is missing. Are currently transferring files or could it be a problem on my end?
Seems to work fine for me... Although, I still can't upload anything to the public folder ಠ_ಠ
After testing it out a few times (just now), it looks like you have to have a Microsoft account, and you must be signed into it on OneDrive.

I have one, and it's very rare that I'm not signed into my Microsoft account, but I'll try again.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

You're not the first person to bring it up, I'm afraid. I'm not really sure what might be going on with it. Other people have been able to upload files just fine. Now, if only they'd spill their secret. :)

Grand Lodge

Ravingdork, may i ask how you go about creating your characters? i enjoy the way the sheets look and was looking to do something like that for my party


Ravingdork wrote:
gustavo iglesias wrote:
The wild enchant nerf is a tough nerf for druids, indeed

Indeed it is. I can't imagine someone taking it now over say, a +3 suit of barding for their favored form. (Make it an armored coat and you can don it as a move action even!)

blackbloodtroll wrote:

By "FAQ Clarifications", you mean Errata, AKA Rules Changes.

No kidding! I'm not a big fan of these kinds of "stealth errata."

I'm terribly happy to have gone Goliath as my archetype right now.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Dufray wrote:
Ravingdork, may i ask how you go about creating your characters? i enjoy the way the sheets look and was looking to do something like that for my party

How do I come up with the character concepts, or how do I build the character sheets themselves?

The latter is done on Microsoft Word. You can find a template for it in the Tools folder in my gallery. All you need to do is fill in the blanks and generally follow the formatting shown in the official stat blocks. I've also created several design styles, which you can use to easily make it look awesome.

The former more or less stems from random bouts of creativity. Sometimes I want to make a specific mechanical build and the concept comes later, other times they are just concepts that I dreamt up and wanted to implement the best way I can, and still other times they were inspired by artwork, books, or movies.

I hope that helps to answer your question, Dufray.

Grand Lodge

That answers perfectly, Thanks Raving


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

CHARACTER ERRATA

Due to the extensive new errata for the Advanced Class Guide, numerous characters have been modified (almost universally for the worse) to better fit these official changes, as follows:

Alleunti Dilesi - Consume spells now has a daily limit

Bumiahma Britoris Orpheus - Consume spells now has a daily limit

Cúran - Saves significantly reduced due to changes in Divine Protection feat; wolf companion's reach reduced as the reach evolution is no longer a legal option for the Evolved Companion feat.

Enyo Quache - Avenger Finesse and Opportune Parry and Riposte class abilities reworded. Swashbuckler's Finesse has been removed.

Jevicca Dehlonna - Saves significantly reduced due to changes in Divine Protection feat; new Blessing of the Faithful class ability added; Bonded Holy Symbol class ability reworded

Sandalphon - Consume spells now has a daily limit

She'er Falen (arcanist version) - Consume spells now has a daily limit

Several more characters, though they have not had to have their sheets adjusted, nevertheless function very differently now than was originally intended. Dag, for example, can no longer gain the benefits of his animal growth and atavism spells. I think I can safely say that no character using ACG elements was unaffected. The errata was THAT extensive!

In addition, no less than five of our active characters in our playgroup have been affected by the extreme overreach of this errata as well. A whole lot of character concepts and builds have basically been nerfed into oblivion.

Heathcliff, for example, as we knew him is dead. Long may memory of his deeds linger in the minds of those who knew him.

Anyone care to offer advice on how to rebuild him? Since he can no longer use Slashing Grace with shield or weapon in his off-hand, I guess that means he has no less than six feats and a few components of magical gear to swap out.

Please let me know if I missed any other characters who might have been affected by these changes.


Can't Heathcliff just use Fencing Grace with a rapier instead of Slashing Grace with a longsword? Unless I'm mistaken, that would just mean swapping out two feats and a magic weapon.

Sadly, Heathcliff also loses Opportune Parry and Riposte.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I've made Heathcliff into an Aldori Swordlord, rather than a sword and board noble.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Our very first Shaman has come to the gallery!!!

Hesbra Dehlonna, 6th-level gnome shaman - As a young and eccentric gnome witch doctor with a jubilant "always-be-prepared-for-anything" mentality, Hesbra enjoys nothing more than exploring the wild places of the world alongside her wife, Jevicca Dehlonna.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

NEW CHARACTER!

Our very first kineticist has come to the gallery!!!

Rina Lhorn, 7th-level merfolk hydrokineticist - A young merfolk scout with incredible powers sent inland to seek out potential threats to her home.

I am currently planning to create another pyrokineticist and a psychic next, so keep your eyes peeled!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER!

Our very first kineticist has come to the gallery!!!

Rina Lhorn, 7th-level merfolk hydrokineticist - A young merfolk scout with incredible powers sent inland to seek out potential threats to her home.

I am currently planning to create another pyrokineticist and a psychic next, so keep your eyes peeled!

So I can favorite it twice!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ravingdork wrote:

NEW CHARACTER!

Our very first kineticist has come to the gallery!!!

Rina Lhorn, 7th-level merfolk hydrokineticist - A young merfolk scout with incredible powers sent inland to seek out potential threats to her home.

I am currently planning to create another pyrokineticist and a psychic next, so keep your eyes peeled!

G&% d~~n... that is an amazing specimen! I would love to play her in a game. Also, that Water Manipulator... By my math it's 513 gallons of water you can shift around? That's a lot, if it's correct, and you can do it in an instant. You could do something like lift that out of a pool and douse it on a burning building or something to help put it out!

Been a long time since I did math... but I believe the volume of a portable hole is ~282 cubic feet, which roughly translates to approximately ~2,100 gallons of water. So a portable hole could carry enough water in it for 4 uses of Water Manipulator at 7th level. Granted, it's outside of your price range, but it might be something she could carry around at higher levels.

[spoiler=Maths]Control Water gives a volume size of 10xlevel by 10xlevel by 2xlevel or 70*70*14 = 68,600. Water Manipulator states you can shift 1/1000 of this, so 68,600*0.001 = 68.6 cubic feet of water. A cubic foot of water is 7.48052 gallons of water, so 68.6 = 513.1636

Volume of a cylinder is pi*radius^2*height and a portable hole has a 6 foot diameter (3 ft. radius) and is 10 ft. deep. So pi*3^2*10 = ~282.74 cubic feet. 282.74*7.48052 = 2,115.04208 gallons.[/spoiler

[Edit] Decided to favorite it a 3rd time! :D


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I did the same thing, doing a bunch of number crunching once I saw that ability.

Isn't 68.6 cubic feet just over a single 4x4x4 foot cube of water? It's not even a full square! That...was a little underwhelming for me.

That being said, I'm surprised at how powerful this character is for her level (though she does feel a little narrow in scope). She isn't even one of my "out there" builds, but rather, is pretty straight forward.

Without having played the character yet, I must say, it feels just right to me; which is terrifying for me, as Paizo has a bad tendency to come along and nerf everything that feels right to me. :(


Ravingdork wrote:

I did the same thing, doing a bunch of number crunching once I saw that ability.

Isn't 68.6 cubic feet just over a single 4x4x4 foot cube of water? It's not even a full square! That...was a little underwhelming for me.

That being said, I'm surprised at how powerful this character is for her level (though she does feel a little narrow in scope). She isn't even one of my "out there" builds, but rather, is pretty straight forward.

Without having played the character yet, I must say, it feels just right to me; which is terrifying for me, as Paizo has a bad tendency to come along and nerf everything that feels right to me. :(

I had a thought, is it possible to swap out Weapon Focus (kinetic blast) to take Extra Kinetic Talent again to pick up Kinetic Blade? That way you can save on the crystal staff and she becomes a much more effective character in melee.

I recall Mark mentioning he wanted to limit how often you could take Extra Kinetic Talent in favor of providing more talents in the base class (my understanding is he actually doubled the number of talents from the playtest), so this might not be possible. It'll be another month of so before I can pick up a copy of the book myself (I only buy from my local store and distribution up here sucks!).


Ravingdork wrote:

I did the same thing, doing a bunch of number crunching once I saw that ability.

Isn't 68.6 cubic feet just over a single 4x4x4 foot cube of water? It's not even a full square! That...was a little underwhelming for me.

That being said, I'm surprised at how powerful this character is for her level (though she does feel a little narrow in scope). She isn't even one of my "out there" builds, but rather, is pretty straight forward.

Without having played the character yet, I must say, it feels just right to me; which is terrifying for me, as Paizo has a bad tendency to come along and nerf everything that feels right to me. :(

The original Water Manipulator was monstrously powerful because of the implications of it's ability. The original version didn't have the 1/1000 limitation and allowed you to shift the entire volume of affected water as a standard action. So you'd be able to shift over 500,000 gallons of water as a single standard action*. This is a truly staggering amount of water and it got crazier the higher level you went. At 20th, you could shift nearly 12 million gallons of water in 3 seconds over a distance of 1,200 feet. Someone else on the forums pointed out that a hydrokineticist should be able to demolish whole cities at relatively low levels in a very short amount of time.

So, what you're seeing, is actually the extremely 'nerfed' version of Water Manipulator :P

[Edit] *For reference, an olympic sized swimming pool has 660,000 gallons of water in it.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Tels wrote:
I had a thought, is it possible to swap out Weapon Focus (kinetic blast) to take Extra Kinetic Talent again to pick up Kinetic Blade? That way you can save on the crystal staff and she becomes a much more effective character in melee.

Mechanically speaking, that's a really good idea! I'm hesitant to follow through on it though since Yoon already has it herself and I intend to take it with my next kineticist. I don't want them all looking too much alike.

Tels wrote:
I recall Mark mentioning he wanted to limit how often you could take Extra Kinetic Talent in favor of providing more talents in the base class (my understanding is he actually doubled the number of talents from the playtest), so this might not be possible. It'll be another month of so before I can pick up a copy of the book myself (I only buy from my local store and distribution up here sucks!).

Extra Wild Talent limits you to infusions and utility powers. You also can't take a power that is higher than your maximum power level -2. That means Rina had to take it as her 7th-level feat, and it could only get her a 1st-level wild talent. I didn't see a limit on how many times you could take it, or how frequently though.

My one complaint about the kineticist, is that it needs more support*. It covers a lot of great character concepts, but if this is all we get, kineticists of the same element(s) are going to look largely cookie cutter in nature.

* I recognize that it was just released, and as such, it is generally expected to have limited support at this time.

2,001 to 2,050 of 2,770 << first < prev | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Ravingdork's Crazy Character Emporium All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.