Shield other and damage type Immunities


Rules Questions


3 people marked this as FAQ candidate. 1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I've got a big question..

Say I've got shield other up on another character, and I'm immune to X type damage. They get hit with that damage. is the damage untyped when it is transferred or does the damage stay the same?


Nothing says the source of the damage or the damage type changes, so it doesn't.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Ævux wrote:

I've got a big question..

Say I've got shield other up on another character, and I'm immune to X type damage. They get hit with that damage. is the damage untyped when it is transferred or does the damage stay the same?

Stays the same. This is a very good way of negating some damage from your allies. In fact, you could cast resist fire on yourself AND them, and if they get hit with fire, you'd get to apply the fire resistance to them first, then to yourself on the remaining damage.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

You receive untyped damage when it`s transfered.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Darklord Morius wrote:
You receive untyped damage when it`s transfered.

Why do you say that? I see no reason why the damage type would change from the language of the feat:

Shield other wrote:
...Additionally, the subject takes only half damage from all wounds and attacks (including those dealt by special abilities) that deal hit point damage. The amount of damage not taken by the warded creature is taken by you...

It says nothing about the damage type changing.

Silver Crusade

Cleric has DR3/slashing. He casts Shield Other on fighter. Fighter gets hit for 10 points of slashing damage. Fighter takes 5 points and cleric takes 5 points.

The cleric's DR is irrelevant. The cleric isn't being slashed, he's taking damage from a spell: Shield Other, not a weapon!

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Malachi Silverclaw wrote:

Cleric has DR3/slashing. He casts Shield Other on fighter. Fighter gets hit for 10 points of slashing damage. Fighter takes 5 points and cleric takes 5 points.

The cleric's DR is irrelevant. The cleric isn't being slashed, he's taking damage from a spell: Shield Other, not a weapon!

We're not talking about DR here, we're talking about energy resistance. If the cleric has fire resistance 5, and the person he's shielding takes 20 fire damage, 10 of that would be transferred to the cleric, and 5 of that would be resisted.


as a heads up Malachi, if the cleric had DR3/slashing, and got hit with a a slashing weapon, that also takes full damage.

I get your point, but bad example :D


The spell states it transfers damage dealt, not the actual damage to the caster.... if a shielded character sticks his finger in a candles flame, half the fire doesnt appear on the casters finger, he just magically recieves half of the damage the flame causes to the shielded fellow. Therefore, resistance is futile (For the caster).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

First of all, i was ninja`ed by mplindustrises and cartmanbeck, that said, apologies if my answer seemed blunt.

The spell description:

This spell wards the subject and creates a mystic connection between you and the subject so that some of its wounds are transferred to you. The subject gains a +1 deflection bonus to AC and a +1 resistance bonus on saves. Additionally, the subject takes only half damage from all wounds and attacks (including those dealt by special abilities) that deal hit point damage. The amount of damage not taken by the warded creature is taken by you. Forms of harm that do not involve hit points, such as charm effects, temporary ability damage, level draining, and death effects, are not affected. If the subject suffers a reduction of hit points from a lowered Constitution score, the reduction is not split with you because it is not hit point damage. When the spell ends, subsequent damage is no longer divided between the subject and you, but damage already split is not reassigned to the subject.

If you and the subject of the spell move out of range of each other, the spell ends.

The spell says that the amount of damage not taken by the subject is taken by you. It`s hit point damage. IMO, The only way to lessen this damage to the caster is if the subject have some resistence against the type of damage. The spell talks about wonds and hit point damage but, like many other descritions, it`s not clear, so both interpretations maybe correct.


Yeah the key here is the line:

"The amount of damage not taken by the warded creature is taken by you."

The spell Shield Other is not damaging you. The original source of the damage is. It's the exact same damage that your ally is taking.

If they get hit for 10 Slashing damage and you have DR 2/-, they take 5 and you take 3 damage. If they get hit for 20 Fire damage and you have Fire Resist 5, they'll take 10 and you'll take 5 damage. If they get hit for 50 Cold damage and you have Immunity to Cold, they take 25 and you take nothing.

I believe in previous editions of D&D, Shield Other did deal the damage to you directly and was thus unresistable, but in Pathfinder, the wording is such that the source and type do not change.

Silver Crusade

Just checked the spell descriptions; Shield Other is unchanged from 3.5.

The caster isn't being hit by slashing damage or fire damage or any kind of damage!

The caster is losing hit points!


Malachi Silverclaw wrote:

Just checked the spell descriptions; Shield Other is unchanged from 3.5.

The caster isn't being hit by slashing damage or fire damage or any kind of damage!

The caster is losing hit points!

I never said the previous edition in which Shield Other might have dealt the damage itself was 3.5. I'm not even sure a previous edition did do that.

But the fact remains that you do not just lose hit points. It would say as much if that were true. You are taking the damage the target does not.

There is no basis for your argument--or at least you haven't provided one. Why do you assume they are taking untyped damage when it clearly states you take the damage the target does not?


Gauss wrote:
Does damage received via the spell Shield Other bypass regeneration in any way?
Nope. If you get hit with fire damage, and that damage is split, the person who takes half from your shield other spell just takes raw, unspecified damage. Which is pretty much regenerabtable by all forms of regeneration.


Okay a bit of thread necromancy here but what about the other way around? What if my Shield Other's target has damage mitigating defenses? Is it split before factoring those or after?

Examples:

Target has DR4/- and gets hit with a weapon for 20 damage. Does the normal in 16 to him after DR get split in 8+8 or does it split before DR into 6+10? I imagine it would be identical for energy resistance?

What about protection from energy? What if they would receive 20 cold damage and 10 points would be absorbed? Do we split 10 damage 5+5 or do I take 10 and they take 0? (in other words does the absorbed damage count as the cold spells target "taking damage" even though its negated in hit point total?)


Hydra wrote:
Target has DR4/- and gets hit with a weapon for 20 damage.

Going by the James Jacobs ruling, the full defences of the person being hit are used, and the defences of the person who cast Shield Other are not used. So both lose 8HP. Same principle for Resist Energy.

Hydra wrote:
What about protection from energy? What if they would receive 20 cold damage and 10 points would be absorbed? Do we split 10 damage 5+5 or do I take 10 and they take 0? (in other words does the absorbed damage count as the cold spells target "taking damage" even though its negated in hit point total?)

The Protection from Energy spell is taken off the damage first (even before Resist Energy is applied). Only actual HP losses are transferred to the person who cast Shield Other.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Shield other and damage type Immunities All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.