Iron Man 3


Movies

51 to 100 of 110 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Bill Dunn wrote:

I didn't feel there was a dearth of Iron Man in Iron Man 3 at all. Part of what sets good superhero fare apart from pedestrian is how well it handles the story without a constant fight going on. If all a comic (or movie) can do is throw more and more fights at you, it doesn't really have much to say about the characters other than what can be said via CGI action. And that's pretty shallow, ultimately.

By the way, I loved the closing credit montage and music.

Spoiler:
For me, it's that even in the big climactic fight scene, he spent very little time in the armor and accomplished very little in it. The suits got to do a lot, but Iron Man didn't.

Don't get me wrong. I liked the focus on him coping without the armor, or with only pieces of it. I just wanted the climatic big action sequence to focus on Iron Man. Not on drone suits. Not on Tony scrambling round the girders. Iron Man.

Sczarni

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
thejeff wrote:
Bill Dunn wrote:
I didn't feel there was a dearth of Iron Man in Iron Man 3 at all.
** spoiler omitted **

But it also continues the "Tony Stark is Iron Man, Wait Tony Stark's not Iron Man, they're in the same place at the same time" Which you often find in the comics.

Spoiler:
Killian did a big monologue about how he likes to work in the background. Mandarin could have hired the actor to allow him to act in the background while collecting his rings or something. Also there were a ton of heat signatures on Tony's map... could some have been Mandarin using the rings, using the soldiers explosions as a screen to hide the other heat spikes.


One of my problems with the movie was

Spoiler:
How does extremis grow the hair know back at the exact length and style it was before being burned away. Killian and Pepper both had that happen at least once


DeathQuaker wrote:
Peter Stewart wrote:
What I don't gloss over as easily is that the movie puts this focus on Tony Stark by turning the Iron Man suit into Tissue Paper Man.

They note that the suit he's currently working with is a prototype and has not been made fully combat ready yet. And he's the kind of obsessive who wants to keep tinkering with his new toy even when it would make all the sense in the world to get access to an older, more reliably model.

And otherwise, some of the firepower he gets hit with is pretty nasty.

And what about all of the suits that get pasted at the end during his fight with Killian? That guy trashes at least four or five suits effortlessly during the battle, slicing them in half with a single blow, crushing them, ripping them off of Tony without effect (and so forth).


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Peter Stewart wrote:
And what about all of the suits that get pasted at the end during his fight with Killian? That guy trashes at least four or five suits effortlessly during the battle, slicing them in half with a single blow, crushing them, ripping them off of Tony without effect (and so forth).

This is a fair criticism IMO. (and one shared by the friend i saw this with.) I also think the suits should have been more durable. In avengers vs Thor his suit held up much better...though i also think that Thor was using his kid gloves.

Sovereign Court

Peter Stewart wrote:
And what about all of the suits that get pasted at the end during his fight with Killian? That guy trashes at least four or five suits effortlessly during the battle, slicing them in half with a single blow, crushing them, ripping them off of Tony without effect (and so forth).

Well, first of all, he is inhumanly strong maybe even as strong as Thor, second, he can easily heat his body up to 2500 degrees celsius, maybe even 2800 without exploding. Titanium melts at that temperature... Not that hard to destroy a suit of armor, although i admit they seem a little weak.

Though, Tony has been cranking them out a lot...


The movie was very hit and miss for me. The dialogue was very strong, but the story was a little weak.

Also, that's not how PTSD, anxiety, and panic attacks work, but, you know, Hollywood.


Titanium melts at 3,000 F, but you can't melt through something that fast just by being 1 degree warmer. If you think you can, I recommend taking a knife that's 35 F and trying to cut through ice that's only 31 F.

You can go through ice fairly fast with hot water, if it's near boiling you'll cut through the ice something kind of like Killian did to metal. At that point though, you're a factor of 6 times the melting point (assuming it's not a matter of being close to the boiling point).

If it's more a matter of the boiling point, that's about 6,000 F for titanium.

What doesn't make sense though is that the soldiers who died had a force effect, but it was really the heat that was destructive. Since they didn't survive and nothing remained, not even their shadow, we can assume their body was consumed by the heat and their ability did not allow them to regenerate.

It's also a little contradictory. The bodies were only destroyed by being vaporized, but 6000 degrees would be more than enough to vaporize a body.


Matthew Morris wrote:

Watched it yesterday, enjoyed most of it in the theatre, but after I left the fridge knocked me upside the head. (Massive spoilers)

In general
The Good
** spoiler omitted **

The Bad
** spoiler omitted **

The Fridge
** spoiler omitted **...

I noticed all of those too. However this is sort of a big "Good Bye" as this is probably the last "Iron Man" specific movie for a while.


Irontruth wrote:

Titanium melts at 3,000 F, but you can't melt through something that fast just by being 1 degree warmer. If you think you can, I recommend taking a knife that's 35 F and trying to cut through ice that's only 31 F.

You can go through ice fairly fast with hot water, if it's near boiling you'll cut through the ice something kind of like Killian did to metal. At that point though, you're a factor of 6 times the melting point (assuming it's not a matter of being close to the boiling point).

If it's more a matter of the boiling point, that's about 6,000 F for titanium.

What doesn't make sense though is that the soldiers who died had a force effect, but it was really the heat that was destructive. Since they didn't survive and nothing remained, not even their shadow, we can assume their body was consumed by the heat and their ability did not allow them to regenerate.

It's also a little contradictory. The bodies were only destroyed by being vaporized, but 6000 degrees would be more than enough to vaporize a body.

To put it into game terms, I took it to mean they had high "energy resistance (fire)" but also "vulnerable (fire)", so that if anything ever actually pierced that resistance while they were "on"... well then. Oh! Kind of like helm of brilliance, in fact!

(I do like the fact that the bad guy decided that this was "not a bug, but a feature" type thing.)

Personally, the movie was phenomenally awesome. I had such a blast!

Sovereign Court

Irontruth wrote:

Titanium melts at 3,000 F, but you can't melt through something that fast just by being 1 degree warmer. If you think you can, I recommend taking a knife that's 35 F and trying to cut through ice that's only 31 F.

You can go through ice fairly fast with hot water, if it's near boiling you'll cut through the ice something kind of like Killian did to metal. At that point though, you're a factor of 6 times the melting point (assuming it's not a matter of being close to the boiling point).

If it's more a matter of the boiling point, that's about 6,000 F for titanium.

What doesn't make sense though is that the soldiers who died had a force effect, but it was really the heat that was destructive. Since they didn't survive and nothing remained, not even their shadow, we can assume their body was consumed by the heat and their ability did not allow them to regenerate.

It's also a little contradictory. The bodies were only destroyed by being vaporized, but 6000 degrees would be more than enough to vaporize a body.

I was talking in the imperial measurement system. Which would make their bodies be around 5432 fahrenheit when they vaporized. Lower then that for destroying armor, still higher then 3000F that it needs to melt titanium.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4; Contributor; Publisher, Legendary Games

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I could have misheard, but I was pretty sure they said the Extremis enhanciles were heating up to 3000 degrees Celsius as well (which, as you said, is about 5400 degrees F, which seems hot enough to melt through titanium pretty readily.

More to the point, the movie does go to considerable lengths to talk about how Tony is:
a. Experimenting extremely rapidly on building his new suits (35 new versions in a span of what is probably a few months, tops, post the New York events of Avengers);
b. Working on little to no sleep more or less constantly, and skipping important details;
c. Somewhat cripplingly mentally off his usual game.

I don't think the notion that this giant pile of suits isn't completely up to snuff of his core suit is all that far-fetched, or that JARVIS remote-piloting all of them at once is less combat-efficient than Tony piloting one with Jarvis' help.

Long story short: It didn't tweak my suspension of disbelief while watching the movie or afterwards. YMMV.


Jason Nelson wrote:

I could have misheard, but I was pretty sure they said the Extremis enhanciles were heating up to 3000 degrees Celsius as well (which, as you said, is about 5400 degrees F, which seems hot enough to melt through titanium pretty readily.

More to the point, the movie does go to considerable lengths to talk about how Tony is:
a. Experimenting extremely rapidly on building his new suits (35 new versions in a span of what is probably a few months, tops, post the New York events of Avengers);
b. Working on little to no sleep more or less constantly, and skipping important details;
c. Somewhat cripplingly mentally off his usual game.

I don't think the notion that this giant pile of suits isn't completely up to snuff of his core suit is all that far-fetched, or that JARVIS remote-piloting all of them at once is less combat-efficient than Tony piloting one with Jarvis' help.

Long story short: It didn't tweak my suspension of disbelief while watching the movie or afterwards. YMMV.

I actually agree with this fully.

Further, it didn't tweak my suspension that Killian was being so monstrously effective against Tony who was, by this point, physically exhausted and working with a very beaten set of suits. Killian underwent a kind of revised (slightly lesser) Super Soldier program, and, while Tony is the most effective pilot of the suit, he's not all that physically tough outside of it... or in broken, piecemeal suits the likes of which he was currently using.


Though it did bother me that the suits on their own seemed more than capable of taking on the other Extremis soldiers in groups.
I wasn't counting and I don't think we ever had a complete count of the extremis mooks, but there were several scenes where one suit was holding its own against multiple mooks. After the first little bit Tony and Killian concentrated on each other and I have to assume the suits mopped up all the others.

Maybe Killian really was just that much tougher than his flunkies, though I don't think we're ever given any real confirmation of why the former geek should be more dangerous than all his ex-military goons. Other than that he's the BBEG and they're just mooks.

As I said, my problem was that Tony in the suit actually seemed less effective than Jarvis running the suits. Maybe there are justifications for that, but it still doesn't seem like a good thing story-wise


Do you mean other than Tony being physically exhausted and attempting to work with extremely beaten-up suits?

The only real sleep we've seen him get, ultimately, was a restless nightmare-laden one, and one that he was knocked unconscious for. It's implied the restless kind was the only kind he'd been getting at all for some time.

The suits themselves had a pretty harsh time of it, too. After having been beaten on by (and beating on) Extremis goons (when they were being run by Jarvis), and Mark 42 had been through a ton anyway. In short, they were really battered and dinged up. And the suits pretty much always lost in melee with the goons... which Tony only survived with Killian by (literally) burning through several of his suits. Add that to the fact that the suits Tony wore were mostly forced into acting in a defensive roll because Tony was unable to withstand the heat Killian produced, and Tony was scrambling to get a (already beaten) suit on before Killian could roast him.

Killian, by contrast, was cool, rested, and close to being at the top of his game.

Oh, and just realizing: one reason Killian didn't do his "fire breath" technique (something that did bother me) is that, frankly, he didn't have time. It seems clear upon reflection that it was a *ahem* full-round action that provoked attacks of opportunity *ahem* that he was only able to really use effectively that one time because Rhodes was so busy with the other Extremis goons.

There are flaws in the movie, but it's not inherently suspense-of-disbelief-killing, to me, and there are answers (if pat ones) that can be reached to counter most arguments.

And it was a blast.


If the suits "pretty much always lost in melee with the goons", what happened to the goons? Did I miss Tony beating them all up in the few moments he was in armor? Or when he wasn't?
I distinctly remember a scene or two when several goons are trying to handle one of the empty suits, without immediately overpowering it.

Did any of the empty suits get trashed as easily as Killian took them out when Tony wore them? Did Killian actually go up against any empty suits? I can't remember.

It's not a "suspension of disbelief" issue to me. It's that, while not having a problem with Tony being forced to cope without the suit for most of the movie, I wanted to see Tony get back in the suit and actually accomplish something. That didn't happen. He got back in a suit and got it blown off him again and again. Seeing Killian blow through a couple of the empty suits and then get seriously challenged by Tony in the armor would have gone a long way to showing that it's the man in the armor that counts. That Iron Man was more than just the remote drones could be.

We got plenty of Tony Stark coping well without the armor.
We got plenty of cool remote controlled armor action.
What we didn't get was Tony Stark as Iron Man.


After much thought now....

Spoiler:
all-in-all I was not a fan of them killing the concept of The Mandarin. He was THE villain of the Iron Man series and he is made out to be nothing but a scam and a joke? WTF.

The biggest bit of disbelief I had was with the Killian and his goons. With Tonie's generator you had a way out for disbelief, but with these goons and Killian, you seem the re-grow limbs and even breath fire. How much mass and energy must they consume to do all of this?! Its not like they were a bunch of fat-guys that all of a sudden got skinny as they re-grew a limb. The least they could have done was given us the alien-tech way out.

All in all though, it was a fun and entertaining movie.


Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:

After much thought now....

** spoiler omitted **

All in all though, it was a fun and entertaining movie.

Spoiler:
And it wasn't necessary. The only reason to use the name "The Mandarin" was to sucker the comic book fans into thinking it was going to be the actual Mandarin. The casual movie-goer wouldn't have cared. And I can't imagine anyone who was excited about the Mandarin being happy with reveal.

Use the exact same plot, but with a different name. 90% of the audience doesn't notice the difference. The fans don't get mad at you.
It's not the name Mandarin actually makes sense for Bin Laden like-a-look terrorist concept anyway.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm starting to get a sense that the more you are a fan of a comic, the more you will find to hate about a movie adaptation of said comic. I loved the Iron Man films, but I don't think I've ever read a single Iron Man comic book ever.

On the other hand, I actually hope and pray they never make a Wonder Woman movie because I'm certain they'd get it wrong and oh, the nerdrage...


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:

After much thought now....

Spoiler:
The biggest bit of disbelief I had was with the Killian and his goons. With Tonie's generator you had a way out for disbelief, but with these goons and Killian, you seem the re-grow limbs and even breath fire. How much mass and energy must they consume to do all of this?! Its not like they were a bunch of fat-guys that all of a sudden got skinny as they re-grew a limb. The least they could have done was given us the alien-tech way out.

All in all though, it was a fun and entertaining movie.

As far as the spoiler above:

Spoiler:
Since when has any superhero comic really dealt with the issue of burning calories/mass when it comes to powering any superhero ability? It's passingly rare and usually not sustained through the duration of the comic and I've yet to see it really dealt with in a movie or TV adaptation other than the Flash super-eating to replace calories lost to his powers.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
thejeff wrote:


Maybe Killian really was just that much tougher than his flunkies, though I don't think we're ever given any real confirmation of why the former geek should be more dangerous than all his ex-military goons. Other than that he's the BBEG and they're just mooks.

It's all about the super-villain ego. His first impulse is selfish, rather like Korvac giving himself new form after absorbing power on Galactus's ship or Doctor Doom fixing his face when he capture's the Beyonder's powers. Killian fixes himself first and then probably hoards the best enhancements for himself so that, always omega dog before, he's now the alpha.


Bill Dunn wrote:
thejeff wrote:


Maybe Killian really was just that much tougher than his flunkies, though I don't think we're ever given any real confirmation of why the former geek should be more dangerous than all his ex-military goons. Other than that he's the BBEG and they're just mooks.
It's all about the super-villain ego. His first impulse is selfish, rather like Korvac giving himself new form after absorbing power on Galactus's ship or Doctor Doom fixing his face when he capture's the Beyonder's powers. Killian fixes himself first and then probably hoards the best enhancements for himself so that, always omega dog before, he's now the alpha.

It's possible, I suppose.

There's little hint of in the movie. Some that he's better, like the reaction of the others to the fire breath, but nothing of why.

I don't think he said he'd given himself a bigger dose. Or a variation. Or anything.

There was the stuff about "regulating", which implies there's some willpower component.
There are certainly excuses for him being much tougher, the movie just didn't bother to make them.


Where do all these villains take their fire-proof clothes?

Spoiler:
Even Pepper's bra isn't even singed.

The why-do-super-heroes-wear-their-underwear-over-their-pants takes more credibility with every movie...


I was stoked because when they said Advanced Idea Mechanics I immediately thought "YAY MODOK!!!".

But no. Sigh.

I really enjoyed the movie. I think Shane Black's fingerprints easily explain why we don't see a whole bunch of "Tony Stark as Iron Man". And I enjoyed that. AND it looked like RDJ and the rest were having a ton of fun on set. They really put some good performances out with Shane.

Liberty's Edge

Just looking at it from a comic book standpoint, could not Modok, AIM, and the real Mandarin still be lurking around in the shadows, just waiting for their chance to shine?

Modok and AIM certainly have a variety of other things they could have been working on while one scientist/sales rep, Killian, worked with Extemis. He did say he was putting together the group, so others should still be working hard in labs around the globe, dreaming up new mayhem for paying super-villains.

Who knows, maybe Mandarin took offense that someone was out there pretending to be him, making him look "bad", and was moving to "rectify" the matter when Iron Man did it for him. He may even be looking now to knock around Stark just to show the world Madarin is someone to be feared and respected, should we ever get an Iron Man 4.

Just my thoughts, for what it's worth. Personally I'm just glad to have something more to take my kids to see, part of my youthful interests, that we can share that's better than the drivel that passes for kids programming today.


Yeah I got the feeling that Shane Black wanted to do an action movie, not a action superhero movie.

Spoiler:
How else to explain that even Rhody spent very little time in the suite, or how easily he was captured as Iron Patriot.

Although it's funny...given that the movie's focus was the idea that Tony Stark was a the super hero and not iron man, which was completely undercut at the end. Tony needed to be saved by a super-powered Pepper Potts, which kind of felt as if they were saying...well...Tony does need the suits after all


Laurefindel wrote:

Where do all these villains take their fire-proof clothes? ** spoiler omitted **

The why-do-super-heroes-wear-their-underwear-over-their-pants takes more credibility with every movie...

It is called Unstable Molecules(sp?).

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I've watched it twice now and all told enjoyed myself both times. At first I was conflicted.

Spoiler:

I was conflicted due to the Mandarin bait-and-switch because I'm a fan of the villain from the comics, but as a fan of cinema I loved the idea of a villain being entirely a construction of the media.
It's a pretty bold statement considering how recently the Boston bombings occurred but as a metaphor it's a pretty powerful one. Now there's plenty of people who are going to whine that means Mandarin got short shrift. I don't disagree is a comic book fan. I disagree as a fan of cinema because I'd rather sacrifice the Mandarin and play with the audience expectations in order to craft that metaphor and on a metanarrative level put together such a brilliant misdirection.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Laurefindel wrote:
Where do all these villains take their fire-proof clothes?

The same place Bruce Banner gets the pants that expand when he becomes Hulk, and change back when he goes back to being Bruce. ;)


DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

I've watched it twice now and all told enjoyed myself both times. At first I was conflicted.

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
The problem I have with playing with audience assumptions is a simple fact, if I'm a film maker, reality is whatever I tell you. The reason you bought it is because you purposely are suspending your disbelief.

A bait and switch is a horrible cinematic plot device, unless the audience is given actual evidence to go back and review and go "oooh, it was like that the whole time". An actual bait and switch, which is what this was, means that all the excitement garnered from previews and in the movie, up to the switch, is pointless. It left me with a negative feeling about the movie.

It's a cheap trick IMO and one that detracts from the quality of a movie.

This isn't to say I don't like twists, I do! But they should add layers to the information we already know, not invalidate it. For example, the Sixth Sense is a good twist. You go back and watch it a second time and everything makes sense, you see everything going on that you missed. I haven't gone to rewatch IM3, but I don't think the bait and switch benefits a second viewing. You're just watching things happen and thinking "oh, that scene is pointless... that right there has nothing to do with anything... oh, that guy looks a little shifty, but it doesn't really mean much."


The Mandarin was teased in the first movie, so of course it made sense to conclude the trilogy with him. I also think that suits at Disney were nervous about the Mandarin coming off as a stereotypical 'yellow menace'.

Shadow Lodge

CapeCodRPGer wrote:
Laurefindel wrote:
Where do all these villains take their fire-proof clothes?
The same place Bruce Banner gets the pants that expand when he becomes Hulk, and change back when he goes back to being Bruce. ;)

Unfortunately, only available in purple.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Irontruth wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

I've watched it twice now and all told enjoyed myself both times. At first I was conflicted.

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:

Except this particular twist was about media manipulation of perception. I thought it was a good twist, and while it was unexpected wasn't actually untelegraphed. Earlier in the film Stark is talking to himself about the strange mix of iconography the Mandarin uses. The accountant that was shot off screen. I liked it because in this case the medium was the message in many ways.


DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
Irontruth wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

I've watched it twice now and all told enjoyed myself both times. At first I was conflicted.

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **
** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
I get your point. I'm just really tired of it being used as a plot device. I find it cheap and annoying, so it always going to rub me the wrong way.
Grand Lodge

I thought it was pretty average. The fights kinda bored me.

The highlight of the film was Robert Downey jr interacting with the kid. I would have enjoyed the film more if it was about Robert Downey jr. and a kid having heart warming adventures in some rural town rather than a movie about hot glowing people burning suits and snarling.


I give the movie a solid C. It wasnt as good as Ironman 1 but as good/slightly better than 2. Maybe it was me but it reminded me of the the 80's tv show The Greatest American Hero. In that show the guy has powers but has trouble flying and the powers come and go.

Right before i walked into the movie i told my kid "The Mandarin is going to be very different from a lot of villians we have seen in previous movies". I was going in expecting Heath Ledger/Tom Hardy performance.


I was severely disappointed. I consider it the weakest of the Marvel studios movies so far. I hope the rest of Phase two is much better.

I get that the story was about Tony Stark the Superhero not Iron Man... but as has been pointed out the end sort of negates that.. .and the fact that:

Spoiler:
There is not a single scene in the movie with Tony in the Armor doing great superhero deeds. And all the the remote controlled suits - I thought that was part of Iron Man 2 - remote controlled autosuits are a bad idea.

The movie was a great "Tony Stark techno thriller" movie but a really bad "Iron Man" movie. And I went to see an Iron Man movie.

If the movie was billed that way, I would have just saved my money and waited for the DVD. It would be like going to a Superman movie and having a Clark Kent news drama where less than 5 minutes he was Superman. Likely a decent movie, but not what you want to see when you go out to a Superman movie.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Lord Mhoram wrote:


The movie was a great "Tony Stark techno thriller" movie but a really bad "Iron Man" movie. And I went to see an Iron Man movie.

If the movie was billed that way, I would have just saved my money and waited for the DVD. It would be like going to a Superman movie and having a Clark Kent news drama where less than 5 minutes he was Superman. Likely a decent movie, but not what you want to see when you go out to a Superman movie.

I think to be fair, we'd have to compare it to Superman spending a lot of time as Clark Kent while still pursuing the story movie - and isn't that largely the successful Smallville?


Bill Dunn wrote:
Lord Mhoram wrote:


The movie was a great "Tony Stark techno thriller" movie but a really bad "Iron Man" movie. And I went to see an Iron Man movie.

If the movie was billed that way, I would have just saved my money and waited for the DVD. It would be like going to a Superman movie and having a Clark Kent news drama where less than 5 minutes he was Superman. Likely a decent movie, but not what you want to see when you go out to a Superman movie.

I think to be fair, we'd have to compare it to Superman spending a lot of time as Clark Kent while still pursuing the story movie - and isn't that largely the successful Smallville?

But a lot of the point of Smallville (and Lois & Clark, I believe) is that it wasn't billed as a Superman!!! show.

Spoiler:

And, in this case, it's not so much that he spent a lot of time without the armor being clever and accomplishing stuff anyway. It's that even in the climatic scenes, which were all about the big armor battles, it still wasn't "Tony in the Armor doing great superhero deeds".


I saw Iron Man 3 this weekend and thought it was very good. Easily the best of the Iron Man movies, and probably one of the best marvel movies to date (it's obviously no Avengers, though).


Bill Dunn wrote:
Captain Sir Hexen Ineptus wrote:

After much thought now....

** spoiler omitted **

All in all though, it was a fun and entertaining movie.

As far as the spoiler above:

** spoiler omitted **

Generally giving some sort of *Out* helps though. Some level of mystic to it. This was not given, and was said that it was entirely explained.

Shadow Lodge

I liked it over all, though I can see the points of those that didn't. I thought that the Mandarin things was fantastic, and I think it would have been a terrible idea to attempt to come off from the Avengers with the attitude of outdoing the Avengers. Just not going to happen. It also kind of shows, I think what would happen if Michael Bays didn't make his movies with all the explosions and cool cars and action people criticize him for.

I was honestly thinking they where either going to go with or end in the "Death of Tony Stark" line.

Shadow Lodge

CapeCodRPGer wrote:
Laurefindel wrote:
Where do all these villains take their fire-proof clothes?
The same place Bruce Banner gets the pants that expand when he becomes Hulk, and change back when he goes back to being Bruce. ;)

In the Hulk movie (Norton), he actually specifies that he has had to change his lifestyle a bit, and says he needs stretching pants when Liz T. goes to grab him new cloths. :)


I just saw this and while the special effects were great, the overall movie and story were extremely weak. The suck factor was very high.

The motivation of the main villain was hilariously weak.

Spoiler:
I assume the geek attacked the US with terrorism in order to get a defense contract with the US. News flash: It's unnecessary, US would buy it anyway.

Killian's hatred of Stark is also questionable. And if his hatred was that strong, why didn't he just destroy Tony's place BEFORE Stark threatened him publically, while his guard was still down? I'd hate to see what he did to the kids in high school...

The main villain's powers made no sense at all.

Spoiler:
The power to regenerate shouldn't come with the ability to breathe fire and melt things with your hand (unless you're going to melt yourself). Assuming you were affected by heat at all (they were when Tony blew up the dinner), an Extremis soldier would melt their entire hand and arm off before they could do ANY damage to a suite of armor.

So many inconsistencies and so many things made no sense at all.

Spoiler:
For most of the movie Stark has no armor (or his prototype armor only) and then "oh yeah I remember I have 30 remote controlled armors back at my place". And why not use those robots (that had awesome AI) when he was attacked with the helicopters?

I didn't enjoy the fact that each little piece of his armor had both rocket propulsion and a guidance system built into it, and that it could travel around the country to get to him. Lame. It was cool enough in the Avengers that a machine could help him get into and out of his armor quickly, this was unnecessary.

In previous movies, his armor needed to be powered by the energy source in his chest (which was a big deal at one point).Now his armor can apparently be powered ... by a car battery. lol. And none of you have a problem with that? Also, each piece of his armor has its own power source too, in order to fly around the country independently and fire plasma etc. Sigh.

And just because you own a company (AIM: which is struggling and needed funding apparently) doesn't mean you can buy three high-end military helicopters that are carrying at a dozen highly explosive missiles each... and then fly away and no one is able to find out about them.

And how does AIM (a biological company...) have the knowledge or resources to take over the airwaves of the US (something that can rarely if ever be done) to make their broadcasts?

I also didn't think it made any sense that Stark blew up his remaining armors at the end of the movie, except to make some nice fireworks for the director. Did Stark EVER do this in the comic? No. Because it's f!$!ing stupid.

Just because you have regeneration powers doesn't make you a ninja. Pepper shouldn't have been "super awesome" at the end of the movie. Strong yes, Jackie Chan, no. I mean, she was better than both Tony and the main villain at the end. lol.

Another problem, why fix Pepper? If she survived the process, she was going to be fine anyway. And if you could fix Pepper, why not keep the regeneration without the fire aspect of it?

There was way too much Tony Stark in this movie and not enough Iron Man. To make matters worse, apparently Tony Stark is not only a genius, but he's also better than a green beret commando.

Spoiler:
He should have never been able to take out that Extremis female assassin in melee combat, especially handcuffed.

Stark was able to take out 20+ armed guards with some stuff you can buy at a grocery store. Did it while suffering from anxiety. For me, it lacked credibility.

And his armor... g!~ d!&n it. In previous movies it was quite tough, in this movie I think he broke 10 iron man armors in the final scene.

Spoiler:
And for a genius, you'd think the one thing that he wouldn't want to do would be to get into melee combat with Killian, but instead of flying away and hammering him from a distance, he's run and take punches at him. lol! In The Avengers, Tony was always extremely intelligent, especially with tactics. Here, he was borderline retarded.

It made no sense at all how easily the various armors were disabled considering the forces and pressure that were exerted on them in previous movies. They were like paper.

Spoiler:
It made no sense how the Warmachine armor was disabled in less than a second and then when Rhodes finally leaves it, it starts working (perfectly) again.

It also made no sense how one of the lackies (and the president) were able to use Warmachine without a proper retinal scan. And just think for a second. If this were your first time in an iron man suite, imagine how hard it would be to operate. Or how Killian was able to remote control the armor with the president in it.

Just because you're a genius botanist doesn't make you a genius at hacking Tony's technology.

And let's not even discuss how badly they mangled the Mandarin character. Poor decisions like that make franchises do reboots, when it's completely unnecessary.

Quite s#@#ty, especially compared to the Avengers, and the worst Marvel movie by far. I'm shocked how easy some of you are to please.

6/10


Jason S wrote:
Quite s+!*ty, especially compared to the Avengers, and the worst Marvel movie by far. I'm shocked how easy some of you are to please.

Well, some of us have the audacity to have a different taste in movies than you! In the interest of fairness, I think you should strive to post your reviews a bit earlier so we have a chance to know what we're supposed to think.

Personally, I think Iron Man 3 is one of the better superhero movies I've seen. I liked that it was a lot more Tony Stark than Iron Man. I did find the end fight pretty stupid though, and I wasn't fond of the villain's powers.

(Of course, I also really liked Elektra so my opinion is entirely invalid. :p)

Shadow Lodge

Slaunyeh wrote:
(Of course, I also really liked Elektra so my opinion is entirely invalid. :p)

:) Personally I loved Daredevil, Spiderman 3, and felt that the older Spiderman movies blew the newer (craptastic one) out of the water.

The Exchange

The Warmachine armour stuff was actually dealt with since the government just can't resist tinkering with the suit they got AIM to do an "upgrade" on it specifically the OS again (repeating the mistakes of the previous movie I mean come on Rhodey) so taking it over and having sims for prospective pilots to learn with wouldn't be that much of an issue.


Slaunyeh wrote:
Well, some of us have the audacity to have a different taste in movies than you! In the interest of fairness, I think you should strive to post your reviews a bit earlier so we have a chance to know what we're supposed to think.

Blah blah blah. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course, I'm just surprised so many of you are satisfied with an obvious popcorn flick, especially when other Marvel films have been so-much-better. Iron Man 3 insulted the intelligence of the audience. What's next, Michael Bay directing Iron Man 4? :)


Jason S wrote:
The motivation of the main villain was hilariously weak.

Spoiler:
The main villain created the terrorist threat to cover for the fact that their test subjects/soldiers were randomly exploding. This is explicitly spelled out for the audience during the movie.

Stark was targeted because he'd manage to crack the Extremis formula while drunk over a decade earlier, and would have either been capable of stabilizing the formula or developing a way to shut it off.

I'm pretty sure that the plan was not to actually kill him, but they got thrown off by his armor being more advanced than they were expecting.

Quote:
The main villain's powers made no sense at all.

This is the same universe where a serum can create Super Soldiers and Hulks; where mutants and Human Torch type characters exist by virtue of being humans with slightly different/altered DNA.

And it didn't just give them "regeneration" powers it rewrote a section of DNA, allowing it to give people whatever power you could figure out how to program in to it.


Nychus wrote:
The Warmachine armour stuff was actually dealt with since the government just can't resist tinkering with the suit they got AIM to do an "upgrade" on it specifically the OS again (repeating the mistakes of the previous movie I mean come on Rhodey) so taking it over and having sims for prospective pilots to learn with wouldn't be that much of an issue.

I don't remember that part of the movie, when did that happen? Or are you just inferring from the comic book?

I do however remember Killian saying that he was doing this to get a defense contract with the US and needed funding. If he already had the contract, he wouldn't need either.

Nychus wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the plan was not to actually kill him, but they got thrown off by his armor being more advanced than they were expecting.

It looked like they wanted to kill him to me when they fired several rockets into his home.

I'll have to rewatch, but I'm pretty sure he didn't start terrorist activities for the reason you listed. I'm also pretty sure that Stark didn't crack anything, it looked like he just wanted to get laid.

Nychus wrote:

This is the same universe where a serum can create Super Soldiers and Hulks; where mutants and Human Torch type characters exist by virtue of being humans with slightly different/altered DNA.

And it didn't just give them "regeneration" powers it rewrote a section of DNA, allowing it to give people whatever power you could figure out how to program in to it.

The problem is that Extremis just increases your regeneration speed, you're still a biological creature. Also, Extremis never made the user immune to heat and subjects were affected by fire like normal humans. So having a high intensity heat source on their hand would destroy your hand before any armor. Therefore... doesn't make sense, even within the realm of superhero land. If they were immune to fire I'd buy it.

51 to 100 of 110 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Movies / Iron Man 3 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.