Carpet of Flying = Pounce?


Rules Questions


This rug is able to fly through the air as if affected by an overland flight spell of unlimited duration. The size, carrying capacity, and speed of the different carpets of flying are shown on the table below. Beautifully and intricately made, each carpet has its own command word to activate it—if the device is within voice range, the command word activates it, whether the speaker is on the rug or not. The carpet is then controlled by spoken directions.

Given speaking is a free action, could you say "Carpet, stay next to that devil!" carpet moves as instructed and you full attack every round?

Cheese. But does it work?


You mean fly to your target and then attack?

I would say that falls under the mounted combat rules, where it's explicitely said that it doesn't work.
"If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can't make a full attack."


Yes but like my crafty players did in a kingmaker game, have your cohort sitting on a two person carpet with you fly the carpet with their move action after they delay/or main delays initiative. In this case the cohorts were both cleric's who would use standard actions to buff and heal.

It was horrible, and totally by the book.

That plus many other things, made flying carpets, leadership feat, and kingmaker kingdom rules in a bad place for me.


so if you have a bigger carpet and 2 cohorts/followers you could pull of the same stunt as Paraxis explained plus fly away afterwards.

Those who play by that book, shall suffer by it, that´s just my opinion of course. It feels like the human railgun all over again.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I think I recall a developer unofficially clarifying that it worked as per overland flight, meaning the pilot took the move actions to move.

However, said pilot could have a fighter passenger making full attacks (which I personally would not allow after it flew more than 5 feet).

EDIT: Found the post.

James Jacobs on Flying Carpets:

Ravingdork wrote:

On flying carpets:

So if you're riding around on a carpet does it basically just give you overland flight?

Or do you ride around on it using the mounted combat rules?

Or does it just move around however you like by talking to it?

How are they intended to work mechanically?

James Jacobs wrote:
You ride around on it with your Fly skill. It's under your mental command, so you can basically think of it as functioning similarly to overland flight or simliar spells... except you can get knocked off of it if, for example, you get bull rushed off of it.
Ravingdork wrote:

So you use your own actions (move, double move, run, withdraw) to move about while on a carpet, using the carpet's fly speed?

What if you are not the "pilot" of the carpet? Can you seize control of it? Can two people fly twice as fast, with each one using their actions to fly everyone on the carpet from point A to point B?

James Jacobs wrote:

Correct. If you're not the pilot, you have to sit and enjoy the ride. If you want to take it over, the current pilot has to either give you control, or you need to kill/knock out/push off the pilot and take control of your own. Doing so without having the carpet suddenly fall would require a DC 25 Fly check (as if you had a mid air collision).

Two people using it doesn't work any more than two people riding a horse as for making it "faster."


Ravingdork wrote:

I think I recall a developer unofficially clarifying that it worked as per overland flight, meaning the pilot took the move actions to move.

However, said pilot could have a fighter passenger making full attacks (which I personally would not allow after it flew more than 5 feet).

i would allow it after it flew more than 5 feet. but at the same time, i would allow any fighter (or other martial) who moved half their speed or less to make a full attack instead of this 5 foot step nonsense. just to remove the flying mount cheese.


STR Ranger wrote:
Given speaking is a free action, could you say "Carpet, stay next to that devil!" carpet moves as instructed and you full attack every round?

"Stay" is not a direction

"Up, down, right, left, forward, backward" are directions

Unless the carpet is an intelligent item, it could not "stay next to devil"

But speaking is a free action. So as long as you could speek, the movements of the carpet should not cost you any actions. You should still get full attacks.


Where what Ravingdork linked doesn't apply - such as passengers - I'm with him and Quatar, no full attack if you move more than 5'. Mostly because of the mounted combat rules:

mounted combat wrote:
If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can't make a full attack.

The logic must apply equally to being on a flying carpet.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
dragonhunterq wrote:

Where what Ravingdork linked doesn't apply - such as passengers - I'm with him and Quatar, no full attack if you move more than 5'. Mostly because of the mounted combat rules:

mounted combat wrote:
If your mount moves more than 5 feet, you can only make a single melee attack. Essentially, you have to wait until the mount gets to your enemy before attacking, so you can't make a full attack.
The logic must apply equally to being on a flying carpet.

RAW it work for 1 character if you have a driver and a passenger.

Note that the thing with two drivers alternating so that one moving you in, another moving you out would work badly. Changing drivers will require to speak the command word and activate the carpet. A standard action. And that action would be done in range of the enemy, with him hearing the command word. Against a speaking enemy that would have "interesting" results.
"Kazoo carpet, move backward 60'" The enemy: "Kazoo carpet. Make a half roll over. Now fly straight. Yes, right into that rock."

Sczarni

I had similar issue once in a campaign.

I gave a single PC a specially made intelligent flying carpet. He refused it and another ranged archer bard PC took it instead and from that point on, he had permanent full-round attacks on most of fights since the carpet was intelligent item. I learned my lesson bitterly. Anything that grants additional action economy, tends to break the game.


Malag wrote:

I had similar issue once in a campaign.

I gave a single PC a specially made intelligent flying carpet. He refused it and another ranged archer bard PC took it instead and from that point on, he had permanent full-round attacks on most of fights since the carpet was intelligent item. I learned my lesson bitterly. Anything that grants additional action economy, tends to break the game.

That's not any worse than an archer on a flying mount AC.


Since the justification for not being able to make the full attack is that you have to reach your opponent... Can you take a full attack against an opponent who is moving with you on the carpet, the two of you locked in mortal combat as the magic carpet races along at top speed away from, say, an angry dragon? Also, similar question, but you're on the back of some sort of actual mount - maybe an elephant.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Carpet of Flying = Pounce? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.