Fallout 4


Video Games

2,551 to 2,600 of 3,408 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>

I believe Bethesda has stated that there would be more DLC coming throughout 2016, although I have not seen specifics.

The Exchange

What is the date for the next DLC for console anyway?

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CapeCodRPGer wrote:
Is GECK coming out for consoles and is that the last DLC?

Someone else should correct me if I am wrong, but the Creation Kit itself will NOT be available for consoles (it's development software, way too complex for console use), but mods WILL become available for console users (According to Bethesda, for XB1 users this month and PS4 users in June.

A number of interviews with Bethesda have noted there are six anticipated DLCs (the GECK does not count as one of them, it is a separate application). The first wave will have finished coming out with Far Harbor releasing on May 19. I expect the other three will probably be announced after that.

Otherwhere wrote:

Supposedly, there will be additional DLC, which was why BGS raised the season pass price from $30 to $50.

It will be very interesting to see what they offer once the Creation Kit comes out for everyone. Why pay for DLC when modders will do it for free, and often better?

Bethesda has had DLC for about as long as it's had a modding community, and one has never precluded the other--and I doubt that will start now. They co-exist, not compete (and note often mods build off of materials provided in DLC, meaning you'll have to have the official DLC to use a given mod). And mods and formal DLC come from very different places and levels of expectation and often operate on very different scopes.

Bethesda may have its flaws, but it still is a professional game development company. When you purchase DLC, you are purchasing material that's been made by a large (relatively speaking) team of professional game designers, comprised of writers, artists, audio engineers, software engineers, etc. who can cover all aspects of a game and afford things like formally scored music, voice acting, etc. They beta-test their products (imperfectly, but they do). And they can provide professional tech support on their product (yes, again often imperfectly and not always the way we want it, but they do). Bethesda's products don't always work perfectly, but they regularly release patches--they are expected to--and tend to support products reliably for at least a few years post-release.

Mods are often created by one person--one person doing it all. Only relative handful of mods are made by teams, and even so those teams may be around 2-5 people as opposed to Bethesda's 30 or so. A given mod is only going to be as good as what a given modder can do. Maybe they'll fix dialogue, awesome--but they can't fix that graphics glitch, etc. Now of course, there's (eventually) thousands of mods so between them all you might get all the changes or additions you want--but even then that comes with a simple problematic issue: modders usually mod for fun, on their free time. They are NOT obligated to keep updating. They are NOT obligated to bugfix. They are NOT obligated to do any damn thing to help you. Sure, the best modders will support their product as frequently as possible, for as long as they can--but as amateurs, they may still well have other priorities they have to put first. Mod corrupted your whole install and destroyed all your save files? Too bad--that's the risk you accept when you use mods.

Also, because mods are all made by different people, there's never any guarantee of compatibility. If you want one mod to fix saving in Survival and another to add more weather effects and another to turn Piper's hair purple and another to alter dialogue--hope and pray they all actually work together and don't f~*% up your game. And no modder can be held accountable for non-compatibility with any other modders'
creation. Now, if they STRIVE for compatibility and say "yes this works with Bob's Piper Purple Hair mod" then hopefully that is the case, but you have to be incredibly, incredibly careful to make sure it all works together. It is incredibly easy to f~%# up your game install with corrupt or non-compatible mods.

There are very seldom single mods that are as comprehensive as a given piece of DLC--a few, maybe, but often those are very long in the making and won't show up until a year or so down the line at the earliest. We've already got, on the other hand, two and soon three professionally made DLCs.

One thing I hope you're also ready for: there will be thousands and thousands and thousand and thousands and thousands and thousands of mods.

If you're lucky, a few dozen to a few hundred at most will actually be GOOD, let alone reliably updated, patched, supported, documented, etc. Have fun sorting through all of that.

TL;DR: even with Bethesda's reputation, DLCs are reasonably reliable and complete packages that will remain supported for awhile.

Mods contain infinitely more possibilities, but likewise infinitely more complete and utter s@##.

(And to be clear, I think the modding community is AWESOME. Not discouraging anyone from using mods--I will myself. Just trying to be clear about setting reasonable expectations and explaining why one will never replace the other.)


DeathQuaker wrote:
wall o' text

Granted, a LOT of mods are crap. But there are some modders who've become staples of the modding community, and people look for and anticipate their contributions.

They do it because they LOVE doing it, and take pride in their work. They tell you which other mods or dlc are required. In short, they do a professional level of service out of love for the game and their love of modding.

I'll probably only use a dozen or so, maybe twenty, mods when they come out. On console, I can't improve the detail of meshes, etc., too much because of the limitations of the hardware.

But what I've experienced in the past (Oblivion, when I was on PC) is that there are modders who do better work than what comes from the publisher themselves. It always makes we ask: Why didn't the publisher do this with their product first? The improved textures, skins, animations - all were better post game release by the modding community. Shouldn't the publisher be bringing out the best stuff, generally?

If Bethesda was just getting started, that's one thing. But now that they're established, I feel they should raise the bar on themselves knowing that the modding community has done better in the past. They should be trying to better the best mods that came out on their last game when they release a new one.

I know - "should". The real world doesn't work that way, but I can still hope.

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Otherwhere wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
wall o' text

Granted, a LOT of mods are crap. But there are some modders who've become staples of the modding community, and people look for and anticipate their contributions.

They do it because they LOVE doing it, and take pride in their work. They tell you which other mods or dlc are required. In short, they do a professional level of service out of love for the game and their love of modding.

I'll probably only use a dozen or so, maybe twenty, mods when they come out. On console, I can't improve the detail of meshes, etc., too much because of the limitations of the hardware.

But what I've experienced in the past (Oblivion, when I was on PC) is that there are modders who do better work than what comes from the publisher themselves. It always makes we ask: Why didn't the publisher do this with their product first? The improved textures, skins, animations - all were better post game release by the modding community. Shouldn't the publisher be bringing out the best stuff, generally?

If Bethesda was just getting started, that's one thing. But now that they're established, I feel they should raise the bar on themselves knowing that the modding community has done better in the past. They should be trying to better the best mods that came out on their last game when they release a new one.

I know - "should". The real world doesn't work that way, but I can still hope.

I believe a lot of it is about trying to get a product out in a timely manner. If I have to make the choice to wait several months longer for a game to have photo-realistic graphics or I can have it earlier with a step or two down thee graphics ladder, I am gonna probably choose to dine earlier. These games are made to hit a time-table, often revolving around some sort of holiday, for their releases. I really appreciate excellent graphics but I also want to not have years in between releases of the franchises I like because they want to have arm hair on the characters react to wind.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I feel like my own rambling caused my real point to be lost, so I'll repeat it: mods and DLC do not preclude each other, co-exist well, and will continue to do so. They are different with different features, risks, and advantages attached to them.

I think it's good we have both, and predict we will continue to do so.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

1 person marked this as a favorite.
MeanDM wrote:
One advantage to the PS4 is you can put it in rest mode, and when you restart the machine it reopens right where you were.

Yup - this is my "quicksave" when I need to put down the game and deal with real life.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Sebastian wrote:
MeanDM wrote:
One advantage to the PS4 is you can put it in rest mode, and when you restart the machine it reopens right where you were.
Yup - this is my "quicksave" when I need to put down the game and deal with real life.

I've been known to minimize games on my PC and leave them for days at a time, sometimes forgetting it's even there.

Sczarni

After a couple of tries - Corvega has been cleared!

Bobblehead acquired, and lots of good things gathered.

Now Tenpines Bluff, Sunshine Tidings, and Sancutary are mine, with Abernathy Farm soon to follow.

The Exchange

psionichamster wrote:

After a couple of tries - Corvega has been cleared!

Bobblehead acquired, and lots of good things gathered.

Now Tenpines Bluff, Sunshine Tidings, and Sancutary are mine, with Abernathy Farm soon to follow.

On survival mode?

Dark Archive

Fake Healer wrote:
Otherwhere wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
wall o' text

Granted, a LOT of mods are crap. But there are some modders who've become staples of the modding community, and people look for and anticipate their contributions.

They do it because they LOVE doing it, and take pride in their work. They tell you which other mods or dlc are required. In short, they do a professional level of service out of love for the game and their love of modding.

I'll probably only use a dozen or so, maybe twenty, mods when they come out. On console, I can't improve the detail of meshes, etc., too much because of the limitations of the hardware.

But what I've experienced in the past (Oblivion, when I was on PC) is that there are modders who do better work than what comes from the publisher themselves. It always makes we ask: Why didn't the publisher do this with their product first? The improved textures, skins, animations - all were better post game release by the modding community. Shouldn't the publisher be bringing out the best stuff, generally?

If Bethesda was just getting started, that's one thing. But now that they're established, I feel they should raise the bar on themselves knowing that the modding community has done better in the past. They should be trying to better the best mods that came out on their last game when they release a new one.

I know - "should". The real world doesn't work that way, but I can still hope.

I believe a lot of it is about trying to get a product out in a timely manner. If I have to make the choice to wait several months longer for a game to have photo-realistic graphics or I can have it earlier with a step or two down thee graphics ladder, I am gonna probably choose to dine earlier. These games are made to hit a time-table, often revolving around some sort of holiday, for their releases. I really appreciate excellent graphics but I also want to not have years in between releases of the franchises I like because they want to have arm hair on the characters...

Mods are free, the game isn't. That sums it up why.

Sczarni

Fake Healer wrote:
psionichamster wrote:

After a couple of tries - Corvega has been cleared!

Bobblehead acquired, and lots of good things gathered.

Now Tenpines Bluff, Sunshine Tidings, and Sancutary are mine, with Abernathy Farm soon to follow.

On survival mode?

Yep!

High point of the 3rd or 4th try: clearing the outside via sniping from the bridge over Lexington, then entering from the side entrance on the 2nd (3rd) level. Immediately heard a bunch of raiders talking so I split through the door behind me.

Lo and behold, 4 raiders come out just behind me and open fire!

Thanks to VATS and Dogmeat, I managed to drop 3 quickly, then unloaded the rest of a pipe rifle magazine rapidly into the last. Ended that fight with about 10 HP and a nearly crippled head, but those raiders were dead, dead.

Spiked my adrenaline IRL, to be honest.


Yeah - Corvega. It's the Raiders with molotovs that get me, even when they can't see me. Instakill. Totally sucks.

They can get you on the bridge over Lexington, too. On top of the NPC AI's having the most amazing throwing arcs, in Survival Mode the molotov blast radius will kill you, regardless of any fire "splash" damage. There have been a lot of complaints about it on the BGS forums, but looks like another candidate for modding.

And, DeathQuaker, you're right. It looks like the Creation Kit is NOT coming to consoles, only the ability to download mods created on PC for console use. :(

Sczarni

Too true, Otherwhere.

I tried pretty much every other point of access to the plant; front door, top front door, didn't bother with the sewer tunnel.

Every time, spotlight would illuminate me, then boom - molotov.

Sniping pretty much all the outside guys before even approaching, then working up and around taking cover behind all the pipes and stanchions and whatnot proved to be ultimately successful.

Barring that insane shootout by the doorway, of course.

Re: molotovs - from what I've read, the Asbestos Lined armor mod (for chest pieces?) makes them much less of a threat. Haven't tried it myself yet, but it's worth a look I guess.


psionichamster wrote:
Re: molotovs - from what I've read, the Asbestos Lined armor mod (for chest pieces?) makes them much less of a threat. Haven't tried it myself yet, but it's worth a look I guess.

Asbestos Lining isn't helping. Dense is, which is very confusing to players. (Understandably.) Players have been one-shotted in Power Armor from a molotov, though I haven't tested this myself.

Given how tough it's been so far, I AM NOT looking forward to the Mechanist showdown in Survival Mode. (I'm also trying to avoid triggering the entire quest-line until I'm closer to 20th. Those Rust Devils are tough in Normal Mode. I know the quest will come up at 15th, but hopefully - if I avoid that area and don't speak to Ada - I can delay the random Rust Devil spawns until I have armor and weapons to help out.)

Sczarni

I'm a bit fortunate in that I haven't got the DLC as of yet. Although what I've seen of both Mechanist & Wasteland Workshop means it is likely I will be picking them up soonish.

The Exchange

psionichamster wrote:
I'm a bit fortunate in that I haven't got the DLC as of yet. Although what I've seen of both Mechanist & Wasteland Workshop means it is likely I will be picking them up soonish.

They are pretty cool and I imagine that the Robot Armor would be helpful in survival, I thinks it one of the better armors for Ballistic, and you get can the pieces without doing much of the Mechanist quests. Just take out a group of Rust Devils and you should get some decent stuff.

The best things the DLC add though for me on a console is more stuff to build my bases better.


Yeah, the DLCs give you some good options, both in terms of base building and customization of companions.

In Survival, I'm looking ahead to crafting robot companions who: can carry more stuff; and are equipped with a Regeneration Field.

I'm curios as to what goodies Far Harbor will bring!

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Talking of what the new stuff gives, I've renovated Starlight Drive In, giving my minions a new concrete laden home that wraps around the side of the projection building/diner, over the fallen "wing." Ended up looking pretty good, if not terribly fancy. Removed most of my perimeter wall, though I might still cordon off some areas with some concrete walls (better than the steel-wall-and-foundation thing I had going on before). And most importantly, I now have a pet cat.

Trying to wrap up any loose ends, so I'm done with the main game when Far Harbor comes out in a few days. It's crazy, at this point I think I've discovered almost every location (I think there's one or two in the Glowing Sea I haven't hit yet), and done most every quest. Finishing up "To the Mattresses" and that's about it... I didn't do "Confidence Man" intentionally on this playthrough (I kind of like Travis-as-is and "Confidence Man" is one of those quests where you can't refuse to do it once you get it) and the Drinkin' Buddy Quest is still on my log because it doesn't properly clear away if you decide to keep it for yourself. I own every settlement possible; the only place I haven't populated yet (not counting Boston Airport and the Mechanist's Lair) is Spectacle Island, as I want to finish doing some building there before I send people over. If you're gonna have an island resort, gotta do it right! (I also girded the ruined hotel there in concrete to turn it into a livable space... it annoys the heck out of me you can't just scrap the place, but it at least looks a heck of a lot better.)

Crazy thing is I'm sure there's still bits I've missed, and I've logged 423 hours... I know there's scenes and characters I've still never run into (I only just met the brahmin saleslady for the first time yesterday, and there's stuff like the silly Mr. Gutsy scene I've never personally run into). I just heard dialogue from Piper the other day I never heard her say before. Oh, and while I've used the animal traps (to get the cat) I haven't done ANYTHING yet with the arena mechanics. (I'm thinking I might build a rock-em sock-em robot arena in Boston Airport or the Mechanist's Lair, if that's doable). It is just nuts how HUGE this game is. Folks can rightfully complain about the oversimplicity of some of the quests, bugs, and clumsily cut content.... but no one can honestly complain there isn't enough to do!


And I feel it certainly has a lot of replay value!

-------

Cleared Corvega, no deaths. Yea!!

I got a huge surprise, though, when I returned that way to head toward Cambridge for (shudder) Fire Support. Despite Survival Mode supposedly having a "greatly reduced respawn rate," Corvega was completely repopulated by Raiders in less than 24-in game hours. :( I just crept on by.

Cambridge was brutal. Nothing but Feral Ghoul Stalkers and Roamers. There is a bed, however, on top of the Red Rocket, along with supplies and a sniper rifle. Luckily, I had dropped a save just before heading in, and avoided contracting any diseases from sleeping. Only 1 death when I got swarmed by 4 Ghoul Stalkers, who are taking down Dance in 2-3 hits. (Shouldn't he be "tankier" than that in Power Armor?)

(I really dislike the whole "sleeping in a bed can infect you" dynamic. It seems very random, and I've contracted diseases sleeping in my own bed, that I built, in Sanctuary. Maybe the sleeping bags and dirty mattresses you find in the wild - fine. But not in a clean bed that I built in a settlement! That's supposed to be my "safe haven"! They force the use of beds on you, and then punish you for using it! Grrrrr!)

I cannot wait for mods to remove the Save on Sleep mechanic. I had a CTD occur once I entered Diamond City when the 2 guys were talking about the Railroad. I had narrowly survived a battle taking Hangman's Alley from 6 Raiders and hadn't dropped a save yet. Had to redo 45 mins of the game. :(

And all those "git gud" people can suck it. This has nothing to do with my skill as a player. And the "there are beds all over the place" folks: if you're finding beds just to drop a save, how is that really any different than simply being allowed to manually save without needing a bed? Aside from the risk of infection, of course. If you're sleeping before/after every major encounter, you're doing the same thing as those who manually save at those points in their playthru.

Ah well... I'm really hoping someone out there will mod up Survival Mode on console more to my liking.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

I started a Survival run yesterday, but only got to Red Rocket so far. I plan on doing some building/crafting in Sanctuary first to get a couple of levels under my belt before venturing out.

I'm not a purist though, so I installed mods to allow saving, and fast travel along supply lines. My free time is too precious to mess around with time sinks like that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
RainyDayNinja wrote:
I'm not a purist though, so I installed mods to allow saving, and fast travel along supply lines. My free time is too precious to mess around with time sinks like that.

[shakes fist - in my best John Cleese/Basil Fawlty] You bastard!

The Exchange

Otherwhere wrote:
RainyDayNinja wrote:
I'm not a purist though, so I installed mods to allow saving, and fast travel along supply lines. My free time is too precious to mess around with time sinks like that.
[shakes fist - in my best John Cleese/Basil Fawlty] You bastard!

See that makes more sense to me....along with beds you build being safe from diseases. That would be how I want to play on the console.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm excited for Far Harbor.

I saw pictures of a new armor set, the Marine Armor. It looks like a mini suit of power armor, which is awesome (assuming it doesn't take fusion cores or change my HUD).

I'm most excited about it because I'm hoping it will be on par with/better than Synth armor. I just absolutely hate the way Synth armor looks and refuse to wear it. Something about it just looks utterly ridiculous to me.

Currently I'm wearing a mix of robot armor and combat armor (because the robot chest piece looks silly).

Liberty's Edge

Far Harbor video That new armor does look cool. Looks like the going HP Lovecraft too.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

The leather armor is my favorite for looks. I really am just not a fan of how fallout games push you to aesthetically unpleasing armor or you die.

On my survival mode run through, I managed to get through all of the Food Supply center that you can enter from the abandoned church. So I am at least stocked for food!


MeanDM wrote:

The leather armor is my favorite for looks. I really am just not a fan of how fallout games push you to aesthetically unpleasing armor or you die.

On my survival mode run through, I managed to get through all of the Food Supply center that you can enter from the abandoned church. So I am at least stocked for food!

I thought that metal armor, combat armor, and leather armor all looked good. But in the from a defense standpoint only combat armor and synth armor and worth bothering to wear.

My character only wore leather/metal until I could combat armor (and robot armor after Automatron DLC).

So I'm super excited to see another new armor type that looks good.

Sczarni

Armor becomes a means of adding legendary effects once you get ballistic weave available.

Ballstic/Energy resistance 110 on clothing & a hat will more than make up for any other DR you loose by not having combat/synth (and their upgraded variants )

Not to mention, ballistic weave clothes are super light, and armor weighs a ton!

FYI: Survival Mode is Tough! Especially when you finish a task and accidentally step on a landmine. Grr...stupid Drive In staircase!


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
psionichamster wrote:


FYI: Survival Mode is Tough! Especially when you finish a task and accidentally step on a landmine. Grr...stupid Drive In staircase!

So much this!

I did that exact same thing. Also did it at least once in a dungeon, and once crossing a random bridge...


Downloading Far Harbor right now, but won't have a chance to get into it really until Saturday. :(


Ok. Far Harbor has so far made the season pass worthwhile. That is in addition to the fact that I liked the other DLCs too.


Apparently they've added a bunch of new Legendary effects for weapons and armor.

I've encountered a few, but don't have a list of them.


About Far Harbour... Why are there outhouses all over? The bombs fell in 2077 not 1877. :P


Scythia wrote:
About Far Harbour... Why are there outhouses all over? The bombs fell in 2077 not 1877. :P

I don't know, but I don't give a... ~thinks for a minute~ Never mind.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Scythia wrote:
About Far Harbour...

[pedant]"Harbor." It is a place name (the actual location is Bar Harbor, ME; you can see the signs at Far Harbor just have the edges of the "B" rubbed off) so would be spelled as it is printed on maps regardless of which English written standards you use.

Likewise if there's a British place name of X Harbour, an American should spell it that way even if otherwise they would usually use "harbor" in a non-place name.[/pedant]

Quote:
Why are there outhouses all over? The bombs fell in 2077 not 1877. :P

Presumably they built them after they no longer had functional plumbing.

======

Liking the new story so far, but I'm getting lag something fierce--something that had finally gone away for me as of the last patch. I think it's the fog, which doesn't bode well.


Lots of people complained about the fog slowing down their game.

I believe it's something that will be addressed as a bug soon.

Dark Archive

Slowing like Frame rate?

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

Claxon wrote:

Lots of people complained about the fog slowing down their game.

I believe it's something that will be addressed as a bug soon.

Good to know. I'll probably stick with my Survival run for now. I just hit level 5!

I managed to scavenge a magnifying glass in the Red Rocket cave, which gave me the crystal I needed to build a recruitment beacon. Now I've got a single solitary settler at Sanctuary, but he didn't bring any crops with him. Stole some tatos from Abernathy farm though.

Already had a raider attack on Sanctuary, but it wasn't too bad. Codsworth and my settler held him off while I attacked from cover. Now I've got a heavy machine gun turret in the middle of the street for next time.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

RainyDayNinja wrote:
Claxon wrote:

Lots of people complained about the fog slowing down their game.

I believe it's something that will be addressed as a bug soon.

Good to know. I'll probably stick with my Survival run for now. I just hit level 5!

I managed to scavenge a magnifying glass in the Red Rocket cave, which gave me the crystal I needed to build a recruitment beacon. Now I've got a single solitary settler at Sanctuary, but he didn't bring any crops with him. Stole some tatos from Abernathy farm though.

Olivia Station is near there with a suit of power armor nearby and the Abernathy's daughter's locket--as well as a mini nuke and a fusion core inside. That'd give you three settlements to work with and all the tatoes you can eat--as well as the ability to trade with Connie for additional scrap without having to go too far afield. The raiders will probably be tough, but that location gives you a lot of cover to hide behind.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32, RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

DeathQuaker wrote:
RainyDayNinja wrote:
Claxon wrote:

Lots of people complained about the fog slowing down their game.

I believe it's something that will be addressed as a bug soon.

Good to know. I'll probably stick with my Survival run for now. I just hit level 5!

I managed to scavenge a magnifying glass in the Red Rocket cave, which gave me the crystal I needed to build a recruitment beacon. Now I've got a single solitary settler at Sanctuary, but he didn't bring any crops with him. Stole some tatos from Abernathy farm though.

Olivia Station is near there with a suit of power armor nearby and the Abernathy's daughter's locket--as well as a mini nuke and a fusion core inside. That'd give you three settlements to work with and all the tatoes you can eat--as well as the ability to trade with Connie for additional scrap without having to go too far afield. The raiders will probably be tough, but that location gives you a lot of cover to hide behind.

That reminds me, I need to hit up the robotics disposal ground near there to scavenge some circuit boards to make turrets. Not sure I'm ready to take on the raiders, though. At the very least, I need more materials to build up my armor. A damage perk wouldn't be bad either.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I just cleared that place out on my survival run (also level 5 incidentally) and I can safely say that it would have been very bad had I not managed to get the jump on them with sneaking. Those Raiders pack some heavy firepower.

I also can't wait to remove the save restriction when mods come out for PS4 in June. I've only died once so far, so it hasn't been too much of an issue but I know it will get annoying down the line. For the time being I just have to remember to do inventory management before sleeping to avoid terrible tedium. Otherwise I'm really enjoying Survival Mode.

I think I'll get a few levels on me before I decide to head into Far Harbor content. I've heard the issues with framerate, crashing and textures not loading have been especially bad on PS4. Hopefully those issues will get patched by the time I'm ready to start the DLC.


NenkotaMoon wrote:
Slowing like Frame rate?

Yeah. Pretty terribly though. Like 15 fps.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Claxon wrote:
NenkotaMoon wrote:
Slowing like Frame rate?
Yeah. Pretty terribly though. Like 15 fps.

From what I've heard, the games speed is directly tied to the framerate too which only exacerbates the issue.

Sczarni

Went Rifleman with my Survival game, and its going great!

I have the majority of the northwestern Settlements all taken care of, Sanctuary, Abernathy, Tenpines, Starlight, Sunshine, Oberland, and my home base (once I transfer all the goodies from the others) - Hangman's Alley.

Local Leader is a godsend, as is Lone Wanderer. Running around with Dogmeat is not nearly as bad as the gun-focused companions, and his extra carry weight has helped a bunch already.

I just wish the rifles and shotguns weren't QUITE so dang heavy.

16+ lbs for a .308 marksman's rifle with a long scope? I mean, I get it from the game balance standpoint, but that rifle IRL should weigh at MOST 10-11 lbs loaded.

RE: the robotics disposal - theres another fusion core there, and the Experimental Sentry Bot you can get the control codes for from the terminal inside. Send him off to USAF station Olivia, and follow. He'll destroy most of the outside enemies, and make your day quite a bit easier TBH.


Gotta say far harbor is my favorite falloutdlc yet. The writing is some of the best Bethesda has produced, and the island itself is beautiful, and engrossing. The frame rate problems are disconcerting though, but that is my only complaint so far.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I'm level 10 in survival mode now, and I still feel way too much like I'm glass. I've been one-shotted more than once. Enemy toughness also seems to be outstripping my damage output. I may have to switch from my gunslinger build to rifles, or break down and take a rank of the gunsmithing perk. I intended this build to focus primarily on Science! but the radioactive material is so rare near the beginning that improving my laser pistol is very limited.

Sczarni

For nuclear materials, get Scrapper. And if you're going to be using guns at all, and have the Intelligence for it, Gun Nut is fantastic.

Of course, get in with the Brotherhood of Steel, and the first real reward is a laser weapon which will carry you through well into the end game.

Gunslinger vs. Rifleman, that's a style choice for the most part. Pistol can be just as strong as rifles for the most part. You'll just need to shoot a few more bullets than the rifle user, for the most part. In trade, the weapons and ammo are way cheaper and lighter.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

FWIW (I have not played on Survival yet) my current character was built as a pistoleer, though I'm high enough level my rifleman perk is maxed out by this point too. With both perks maxed out, I generally get more bang for my buck with pistols, and especially with Deliverer than any other ballistic weapon because the fire rate is so good and the VATS AP rate is so ridiculously low. The caveat here is this is in good part because of my Stealth/High Agility build -- Deliverer+sneak attack+Gun Fu is insane. And 10 mm ammo is so common (and I do not have Scrounger or anything; my character is named "Jinx" for a reason) it's pretty easy to keep well stocked. Usually if I'm not using Deliverer it's because I'm at long range or fighting something that's more vulnerable to energy weapons.

I went into Far Harbor with Deliverer and a cryo gauss rifle I named "Iced Lightning."

I know it'd be awhile before you'd be willing to quest far enough to get to Deliverer, but you can get Wastelander's Friend early on (Carla should wander past you at some point and I think she's the one who sells it), and while not as crazy fast as Deliverer, it should do well once modded up a bit.


I have 2 Survival Mode characters @ 15th now. One is INT based because I know that Robotics Expert will be really helpful at this point; one is a gunslinger who is suffering in this mode.

To get Righteous Authority, you need to get thru the brutal Fire Support mission against the ghouls. After that, it's pretty easy because Danse will handle all the synths in Call to Arms if you're worried. It can be made a pistol if that's your build, and will generate crits quickly.

Scrapper is really helpful in Survival Mode as you can't carry as much, so getting every screw is fantastic.

Science, Chemist, and Gun Nut all are important in this mode.

Haven't rescued Nick with either in this mode yet, so no Far Harbor Survival Mode. Looking to tackle that this weekend. More likely, I'll do most of Automatron before I do Far Harbor, so it may be some time before I see the new land and its goodies. (We can build traps now?! Bear traps and caltrops!)

Rust Devils and their robots are going to be a b!**~ in this mode. Oi vey...


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Otherwhere wrote:
(We can build traps now?! Bear traps and caltrops!)

Noticed that myself today. The Caltrops are really easy to make too. I've yet to properly test them but they could be very useful if they cripple an enemy's legs.

I also noticed you can build fish racks as decorations in your settlements.

Otherwhere wrote:
Rust Devils and their robots are going to be a b&%&! in this mode. Oi vey...

Yeah, no kidding. The damn things killed me quickly enough in the original survival mode. I imagine the robot companions are pretty nice to have though, both for carrying capacity and the guns they pack.

2,551 to 2,600 of 3,408 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Video Games / Fallout 4 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.