Fallout 4


Video Games

2,401 to 2,450 of 3,408 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I've gotten a LOT of stuff like that. All right legs or arms, etc. In trying to collect a suit of heavy combat armor, I could find everything EXCEPT a right arm for ages. I really wanted a full suit of T-51 so I could have Railroad armor (which only is available for the T-51) and every single damned suit was missing a left leg (eventually I found one, but it took a ridiculously long time. After some dedicated collection, I've got two full suits of T-51 [but a metric asston of the supposedly rare T-60 because the Brotherhood wears it; I even have more X-01 armor--which is supposed to be a post-war rarity--than I do T-51]).

Rather than have a "legendary item" that is a random drop or even a purchasable item (most of the "unique" weapons and armor are legendaries with unique names), I wish they had created hard-to-find, unique item mods. They could still drop, to an extent, randomly (but once you find one, you don't get another). So rather than be like, "Well, I really want to switch to combat armor, but this metal leg boosts my Str," and are the kind of anal weirdo like myself who needs her armor to match, you could just swap out the mod you want to the stuff you want to wear (but are still limited to what you can find and probably that you could use only one unique mod per item).


I agree. Basically, you find an "unlock" for a specific mod: explosive; poisonous; what-have-you. That way you CAN move the mod from one piece to another.

I mean, what if I'm not wearing Leather armor? What if I want all Synth pieces?

I feel very certain that modders will have made this possible. Now if I can only get that on the Xbox! I know it's coming, but when??

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I believe GECK is officially to come out, with console support not far behind. Last I heard was "soon," whatever that means.

And FWIW, I sort of feel your pain. While I'm on PC, I'm not using mods at least until the GECK comes out and likely not until after a few more patches/DLC are released; patches and DLC can often disable early mods and/or non-GECK created mods tend to be a little more risky. So I'd rather wait till it's safer to use mods. Which means even if it's by choice for me, I don't have the option either.

NOW, I know there are fine folks here that are using PC mods. This statement is not a judgement upon you. I'm sure you've used mods happily and without incident. It's about what I'm personally willing to risk/go through/bother to download/install for myself only.

On the upside, my game apparently reads the boards because I just killed a raider that helped me complete another T-51 suit. :)


I picked up a two shot 44 pistol and a mighty assault rifle.


Sharoth wrote:
I picked up a two shot 44 pistol and a mighty assault rifle.

Nice. I've never found a special assault rifle on any character, which is sad for my highest level character.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I found a staggering assault rifle; haven't used it but it's a pretty cool weapon.

Weirdly, lately all I get for drops are melee weapons (and usually basic ones, like lead pipes and boards) and leather armor (not sturdy or heavy either). I'm level 70. I honestly am really happy with what I've got for weapons and armor so I don't need more stuff, but it's frustrating to get this unscrappable loot that normally isn't even special enough to equip to companions or guard minions.

I can think of five good legendaries I've gotten in my level 70 game, including the staggering rifle. The others were an explosive shotgun, a plasma-throwing combat shotgun, an irradiating flamer (more interesting than powerful; I named it "Marie's Revenge" and gave it to Curie), and a freezing gauss rifle. This last one is the only one I actually personally use; I am carrying it alongside the Alien Blaster, Wazer Wifle and Deliverer (which is still my MVP weapon even at this level, though the gauss rifle is best for certain tough enemies). I also have Shem Drowne's sword as a backup melee weapon, but this character almost never uses a melee weapon (unlike my prior character who generally answered every problem with a super sledge).

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

In other news, can't remember if I said this earlier, but the BOS kacked poor Revere. He's been replaced by a high-end assaultron named Betsy.

Needed a resilient provisioner for up north, made a reinforced protectron with sentrybot legs. Painted it yellow and named it "The Bus."

Trying to turn Coastal Cottage into an actually buildable habitable area. Wasteland Workshop's concrete items are helping a lot.


Was anybody else annoyed when they cleared out Breakheart Banks and couldn't find a workshop?


I found a desk fan, a few dirty ashtrays, some battered clipboards, some cooking oil, a pack of duct tape and this junk.

An Instigating Laser Musket and a sentinel left metal armguard. And some junky knuckles.

I just need a sentinel chestpiece and helmet. (I did console command a full set of sentinel leather armor and a sentinel metal helmet, but it is not the same as finding it, even if one of them is a raider leg piece.)

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Scythia wrote:
Was anybody else annoyed when they cleared out Breakheart Banks and couldn't find a workshop?

Yes. Also West Everett Estates.

I was supposed to be getting work done in my real life home today. Of course I was wasting time instead getting my Coastal Cottage up and running. Used new concrete to build usable living quarters above/around the shell of the ruined cottage, with the hole in the ground as a utility basement holding a power generator and water pump (also cookstove, because reasons). The tiny bit of the cottage with the door got walled in, spruced up and named "The Love Shack," which is of course a cozy couch space filled with kitten pictures (what else would it be?). (Although, upstairs on the roof patio there is a jukebox to which you can hurry up and bring your money.)

And then I HAD to (had to, mind, this was way more important than cleaning house or doing laundry) clear out Kingsport Lighthouse so I could waste precious, precious steel solely to make this sign.

I will note it is annoying and odd that the lettering does not snap the way the neon letters do, and also that they didn't think to provide us arrow signs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DeathQuaker wrote:
Scythia wrote:
Was anybody else annoyed when they cleared out Breakheart Banks and couldn't find a workshop?

Yes. Also West Everett Estates.

I was supposed to be getting work done in my real life home today. Of course I was wasting time instead getting my Coastal Cottage up and running. Used new concrete to build usable living quarters above/around the shell of the ruined cottage, with the hole in the ground as a utility basement holding a power generator and water pump (also cookstove, because reasons). The tiny bit of the cottage with the door got walled in, spruced up and named "The Love Shack," which is of course a cozy couch space filled with kitten pictures (what else would it be?). (Although, upstairs on the roof patio there is a jukebox to which you can hurry up and bring your money.)

And then I HAD to (had to, mind, this was way more important than cleaning house or doing laundry) clear out Kingsport Lighthouse so I could waste precious, precious steel solely to make this sign.

I will note it is annoying and odd that the lettering does not snap the way the neon letters do, and also that they didn't think to provide us arrow signs.

Nice settlement synergy. That's not a waste of time, that's having fun. Many people don't learn the value of that until it's too late.


~shocked look~ We are supposed to have FUN?!? ~faints~


Oops! Sorry Cricket! ~does a quick reload after accidentally killing her during a protracted gunfight between myself and the gunners.~ Note to self. Do not use an Explosive Combat Shotgun near vendors. They will get pissed off if they get shot.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I value fun incredibly, but I could use better time management skills. ;)

But I appreciate the point.

As for Cricket, I'm surprised she didn't thank you for it.


DeathQuaker wrote:

I value fun incredibly, but I could use better time management skills. ;)

But I appreciate the point.

As for Cricket, I'm surprised she didn't thank you for it.

What is this "Time Management" that you speak of?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

~looks at the settler at my settlement~ Yes. There IS something you can do to help me out. GET THE HELL OUT OF MY BED!!!

~shakes my head~ Why? Why couldn't Bethesda make it to where you can assign a bed to yourself? Why?


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Sharoth wrote:

~looks at the settler at my settlement~ Yes. There IS something you can do to help me out. GET THE HELL OUT OF MY BED!!!

~shakes my head~ Why? Why couldn't Bethesda make it to where you can assign a bed to yourself? Why?

So much this. My main settlement was the Red Rocket, and I outfitted the garage to be my space, and that drunk guy you can recruit in Diamond City decided it was his.


You have to use the console to lock a door or container to keep the buggers out as far as I can tell.

Why is a perk named Locksmith that is unable to make locks? That's what locksmithing is ... *facepalm*


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've heard that if you put a teddy bear or comfy pillow onto a bed the game considers it marked by you, and so doesn't assign settlers to it.

Haven't had a chance to test that though, my current character only has robots living in her base.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Sharoth wrote:

~looks at the settler at my settlement~ Yes. There IS something you can do to help me out. GET THE HELL OUT OF MY BED!!!

~shakes my head~ Why? Why couldn't Bethesda make it to where you can assign a bed to yourself? Why?

While it's annoying/time consuming, just make sure "your" bed is an EXTRA beyond what's needed, and make sure all settlers are assigned to their own bed, and it shouldn't happen.

On PC, player.setownership should also work.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Sharoth wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:

I value fun incredibly, but I could use better time management skills. ;)

But I appreciate the point.

As for Cricket, I'm surprised she didn't thank you for it.

What is this "Time Management" that you speak of?

A sub-skill governed by a thing called "Executive Function" which is also alien to me.


Scythia wrote:

I've heard that if you put a teddy bear or comfy pillow onto a bed the game considers it marked by you, and so doesn't assign settlers to it.

Haven't had a chance to test that though, my current character only has robots living in her base.

I've tried the comfy pillow thing and it hasn't stopped NPCs from using my bed.

Since I'm on console, I can't use commands to "lock" the ownership.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Fallout 4 Wasteland Workshop - Arena Setup Guide and All Fight Types

This person has made a really cool arena. It also looks like something that even ***I*** could build. I have to admit, I like the new build features they have added. The concrete stuff looks very nice.


Here is another cool arena.

Note - I did not make it. I am not that creative, Damn it.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Otherwhere wrote:
Scythia wrote:

I've heard that if you put a teddy bear or comfy pillow onto a bed the game considers it marked by you, and so doesn't assign settlers to it.

Haven't had a chance to test that though, my current character only has robots living in her base.

I've tried the comfy pillow thing and it hasn't stopped NPCs from using my bed.

Since I'm on console, I can't use commands to "lock" the ownership.

Again, just make sure settlers are assigned to their own bed.


DeathQuaker wrote:
Otherwhere wrote:
Scythia wrote:

I've heard that if you put a teddy bear or comfy pillow onto a bed the game considers it marked by you, and so doesn't assign settlers to it.

Haven't had a chance to test that though, my current character only has robots living in her base.

I've tried the comfy pillow thing and it hasn't stopped NPCs from using my bed.

Since I'm on console, I can't use commands to "lock" the ownership.

Again, just make sure settlers are assigned to their own bed.

The challenge to that approach is the new settlers who arrive while I'm off saving the Commonwealth. They show up and find an "unassigned" bed and think: "Hey! I'll take this one! No one else seems to be using it, and it's got a comfy pillow!" Ingrates.

Not a huge issue because I'm seldom there. But it would be nice if I could assign a bed to myself so I don't have to hassle with making sure each and every settler has their own personal one.


Wasteland Workshop DLC review

Whew, man! There's a lot of not so happy reviews out there on the WW dlc!

What are your impressions?

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Otherwhere wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
Otherwhere wrote:
Scythia wrote:

I've heard that if you put a teddy bear or comfy pillow onto a bed the game considers it marked by you, and so doesn't assign settlers to it.

Haven't had a chance to test that though, my current character only has robots living in her base.

I've tried the comfy pillow thing and it hasn't stopped NPCs from using my bed.

Since I'm on console, I can't use commands to "lock" the ownership.

Again, just make sure settlers are assigned to their own bed.

The challenge to that approach is the new settlers who arrive while I'm off saving the Commonwealth. They show up and find an "unassigned" bed and think: "Hey! I'll take this one! No one else seems to be using it, and it's got a comfy pillow!" Ingrates.

Not a huge issue because I'm seldom there. But it would be nice if I could assign a bed to myself so I don't have to hassle with making sure each and every settler has their own personal one.

It would be nice yes, but I a) only reserve myself a bed in a settlement without an active recruitment beacon, and b) if a settler shows up in my bed, they're the one I have to reassign.

If in doubt, though, I can ring the bell and just reassign everybody.

Dark Archive

Otherwhere wrote:

Wasteland Workshop DLC review

Whew, man! There's a lot of not so happy reviews out there on the WW dlc!

What are your impressions?

It's the internet. Welcome to Hell.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Otherwhere wrote:

Wasteland Workshop DLC review

Whew, man! There's a lot of not so happy reviews out there on the WW dlc!

What are your impressions?

It seems to be chic to hate on Wasteland Workshop on the net (although there have been positive reviews as well). I'm not sure what some folks were expecting for five dollars.

Me, I like it. I do think the DLC could have included a little more polish and items---FOR $5, yes, I think we should have gotten just a little more stuff in the way of snappable steel letters, nice beds (like you get in Covenant), weapon acks,jukeboxes that play somethng other than classical music, and dressable mannequins.

But I'm also delighted by what IS there, and am especially impressed by the very complex and modular concrete building objects (supplemented by vendors selling a lo more of the stuff). The traps, lighting, etc. all great too. Worth the cost of a single commuter train ticket, certainly.

It ain't perfect but it was exactly as advertised and they didn't overcharge for it,so I'm good!


Since I'm on console, I'm happy to get all the new goodies for building.

I'm disappointed with the "arena" mechanics, but not surprised given how poor Bethesda's AI is.

I purchased the Season Pass when I got the game, so I'm good on this one, Far Harbor, and any others they come out with.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars overall.

DQ: I was hoping for nicer beds, too! Really surprised they didn't add them as they do exist in game.


~shrugs~ You get what you pay for. I like WW and what it does offer. I agree with DQ that it could have offered more, but what do you expect for the price?


It met or exceeded my expectations.

Of course a dlc could always have more, but I quite liked what it had. My only complaint is how much time retrofitting my settlements with the better lights is taking. :P

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

I'm glad in this game I hadn't extensively worked on Sanctuary. It was cleared out with all the necessities in place but I hadn't built it up much. I'm going to build a nice concrete-walled shopping area and turn the central yellow workshop house into a power plant/workshop. "My" house I think I'm going to turn into a recreational building, using some of the fancy lights to jazz it up (in my first playthrough, my Sole Survivor clung to the house as the last vestige of what she had, but this SS would rather move on, and if something she had can be turned into a source of fun for the survivors of the first Minutemen, all the better.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

On a completely different note:

a) I've learned that since companions gain affinity with you just by your spending lots of time with them, wasting a lot of time building things is a good way to earn affinity with the harder-to-charm companions. Strong idolizes me, I like to think because he's impressed with my hospital-building skills, but probably just because we've been spending a lot of time together (but hey, I am "sharing" all this scrap I've been making him carry).

b) X6-88 is buggy as heck in my game. I got him as a companion and sent him to guard Warwick... then proceeded to finish the MQ for the Railroad. So X6-88 is programmed to leave you if you get "banished by the Institute" -- much like Danse will leave you if you become hated by the Brotherhood...

Danse is stupid:

Even though they want him dead and go aggro on you and him even if you ARE otherwise friends with them

-- but the thing is in the Railroad Ending, you actually never properly get "banished by the Institute" -- that particular status doesn't trigger. You are allies with them until the moment you start the rebellion, and while post end-of-MQ, synth NPCs and the like will appropriately attack you, the "banished by the Institute" flag doesn't go off. So X6 still considers you an ally.

And the thing is, I went to see what his status was in Warwick, and I can not only still travel with him as a companion (and gain his affinity up to idolized) but he also continually tells me what an amazing director he thinks I'll be and how glad he is to have completed "the mission" and how glad he is I'm on the Institute's side. He also barks of his disdain for the surface and how the Institute is the "only way forward" and I'm like dude, your "only way forward" is a smoking radioactive hole. I took him to Trinity Tower (on my way to picking up Strong) and we get a really great view of the giant crater that was CIT, still nothing from him. I've wondered what would happen if I physically took him to the crater, but I expect nothing.

Really weird they did not think to program this better. Not unexpected--it is Bethesda after all, the great overlords of overlooking/ignoring details--but odd. He comes off as kind of very sadly delusional (same as Danse with his dialogue) and I find myself feeling really sorry for him. I think I may need to set up a settlement as a mental asylum for synths suffering from nervous breakdowns and delusions, and send X6 and Danse there.

Oooh, I haven't conquered Covenant yet.... that would be hilarious....


Covenant as an asylum? Nice. :)


Perhaps it's an undiscovered flaw in synth logic processing that they can become stuck in recursive thought loops, not unlike those that Dr. Mobius was able to use on once human brains?

Dark Archive

Did you know, the new concrete walls can sink into the ground to create proper fortifications? Along with that, the railing they added in snaps to the tops of the walls. Neat.


NenkotaMoon wrote:
Did you know, the new concrete walls can sink into the ground to create proper fortifications? Along with that, the railing they added in snaps to the tops of the walls. Neat.

I found the concrete walls good for repairing the castle as well.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

The concrete pieces are very adaptable. They can stack against each other as well as snap in a line making them great for filling in gaps or weird places.

The downside is sometimes the walls are TOO modular. The walls can snap on in a few positions, but there's only one "right" one for getting the roof pieces to line up correctly, so there's a few times where I've had to rearrange pieces, or finish the roof first, to get things right.

Generally they're awesome though.


Patch 1.5 is now out in beta for PC.

Seems like they didn't change much at all for Survival Mode. But then, this is still a beta, so - maybe...

The Exchange

DeathQuaker wrote:

It seems to be chic to hate on Wasteland Workshop on the net (although there have been positive reviews as well). I'm not sure what some folks were expecting for five dollars.

Me, I like it. I do think the DLC could have included a little more polish and items---FOR $5, yes, I think we should have gotten just a little more stuff in the way of snappable steel letters, nice beds (like you get in Covenant), weapon acks,jukeboxes that play somethng other than classical music, and dressable mannequins.

But I'm also delighted by what IS there, and am especially impressed by the very complex and modular concrete building objects (supplemented by vendors selling a lo more of the stuff). The traps, lighting, etc. all great too. Worth the cost of a single commuter train ticket, certainly.

It ain't perfect but it was exactly as advertised and they didn't overcharge for it,so I'm good!

This is how I feel also. I love what is there and feel like for the $5 I have a good return just for the new building stuff.

I haven't yet messed with the arena and cages but probably won't anyway. I don't really feel like having an arena is something I want to do. I do like the idea of catching a hundred or so cats and seeing if I can keep them in a certain settlement as my crazy cat place but I don't know if they will stick around or not. Anyone play with that?


If you build a cat dish (added under decorations), the cat stays near it much like a Brahmin stays close to their trough.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

2 people marked this as a favorite.

There might be a limit on how many given creatures you can have, but I like the idea of the crazy cat person house. Send your dottiest looking settler to it, and trap a bunch of cats, and voila.

Probably one of the actual ramshackle house settlements would be best, like Croup Manor or Taffington Boathouse or Coastal Cottage (you could put all the cat bowls in the garage in that one). Nordhagen would be great but it has preset settlers that I don't think you can send away.

Working on the Covenant Asylum, by the way. Gotta say, it is buggy as heck to get Covenant once you've finished the main quest (not that Covenant isn't buggy beforehand). If you've blown up the Institute, Covenant acts friendly to you--they actually acknowledge you've blown up the Institute and are grateful--but there's no way to make the settlement act allied to you (if you want to ally with the current occupants). But, while the mayor warns you about "Dan," Honest Dan is nowhere to be seen and there's no way to properly start the Human Error quest. I could break into places and still gather information that something clearly sinister is going on there, but even when I went into their facility, no one was hostile. Cool and fine, but when I go talk to the doctor chick, she just barks "I have no regrets!" or something like that and I can't even confront her about the stuff I've seen. You can unlock the captive's cage, but she also just stands there cycling through barkstrings.

Now, narratively, my character has still gathered enough evidence to know these people are torturing synths for no especially good reason, so she has no qualms about shooting them in the head. Shooting the doctor, even from stealth, makes everyone automatically go hostile, even back in the town where they can't possibly know what you've done.

But now I have my asylum for delusional synths. I need to finish setting it up properly, but I'm turning the office into a doctor's office and might turn Penny's store into a cafe/commisary/cafeteria. Keep the other houses as bunk houses. X6-88 who thinks I'm the director of the Institute and that his home isn't a giant smoking hole in the ground will be sent there, as is Danse who still barks "ad Victoriam!" as he singlehandedly shoots down vertibirds and slaughters the Brotherhood occupants inside, and who has never taken off his power armor and I'm sure is more than a little bit rusty and stinky. I'm tempted to send Curie--love her to death and she's much more mentally stable, but sometimes she also she still thinks she's a Ms Nanny and besides, she could care for the other patients and benevolently experiment on them. I have the perk now that lets you see creature resistances, so a couple settlers with unexplained energy resistance might also be sent, just to round things out. Don't know if I'll have settlers or robots run the surgery and cafe.

I left Deezer intact there, but I can't assign him to anything. I might construct Deezer II and have him run the cafe.


Mama Murphy is probably the best NPC to set up as a "crazy cat lady", what with her slippers and unusual outfit and everything.

@DQ: LOL re:"now I have my asylum for delusional synths."

RE: spotting a synth settler - if I have a settler who won't sleep, even if there are plenty of beds, is that a synth infiltrator? It might just be the glitchy AI unable to "assign itself to a bed," but I suspect this one is a synth.

I suppose I could just shoot them and check. If they aren't, I can reload a save and no one would be any wiser. If they are, do the other settlers still go hostile from me killing a settler?


DQ, you should be able to mosey over to the entrance (the sewer on the other side of the lake with the grouchy fisherman) and just start some trouble.

IIRC, synth infiltrators that are up to no good apparently take a few days to work themselves up to the task. The mill around all day and not, not working, drawing and holstering/sheathing their weapons and generally being annoyingly useless.

Before the go apesh!t on you, perhaps this is a good time to clad them all in, say, pink dresses. (All of the weirdos.) If your hunch is correct, you'll soon wind up with three synth corpses in pink dresses.

Deezer just ... locks into spot and hands out lemonade samples. He's harmless, and doesn't count against Covenant's settlers total.

Covenant is festooned with annoying bugs. The turrets are permanently useless - even if you pop them (and when you place your own turrets, they fire on the pre-existing unhackable turrets, which them fire back, so at least there's a "Turret Duel" to amuse yourself with) their wreckage permanently smoulders and clutters up the place. The beds you can't scrap or move or anything else ... and they're the coolest beds in the game .. which you still can't build. The whole place is exacerbating to deal with.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Turin the Mad wrote:
DQ, you should be able to mosey over to the entrance (the sewer on the other side of the lake with the grouchy fisherman) and just start some trouble.

That is what I did; as I noted, I shot the evil doctor and that made everyone hostile. No one was until I attacked though.

Quote:


IIRC, synth infiltrators that are up to no good apparently take a few days to work themselves up to the task. The mill around all day and not, not working, drawing and holstering/sheathing their weapons and generally being annoyingly useless.

I'm presuming by that account that the Concord Five are all synths. ;)

spoiler:

Yes, I know about Sturges

Quote:


Deezer just ... locks into spot and hands out lemonade samples. He's harmless, and doesn't count against Covenant's settlers total.

He gets buggy too, though. I actually hacked him because he runs away from the fight and disappears sometimes, so I hacked him to deactivate him, then reactivated him, and he followed me back to Covenant so hopefully he'll stay there.

Quote:
Covenant is festooned with annoying bugs. The turrets are permanently useless - even if you pop them (and when you place your own turrets, they fire on the pre-existing unhackable turrets, which them fire back, so at least there's a "Turret Duel" to amuse yourself with) their wreckage permanently smoulders and clutters up the place.

I don't mind destroying the old turrets, but it's stupid you can't build new turrets on the same mounts. It's also stupid there isn't a terminal you can use to deactivate the turrets and reprogram them to just be yours.

Quote:


The beds you can't scrap or move or anything else ... and they're the coolest beds in the game .. which you still can't build. The whole place is exacerbating to deal with.

There are a lot of aggravating aspects of Covenant yes (it's why I ignored it for a long time), but being unable to scrap the beds I don't consider a problem (moving the would be nice, and don't get me started on being unable to build your own nice beds [fan mods notwithstanding]). It's also annoying you can't move the sleeping bag that's just laying outside. I might disable/delete that one with the console.

I'm going to use this as a pretty small settlement though (probably around 5 occupants tops--a farmer, a guard, a surgeon, a bartender, and a scavenger) and it should be perfect for my purposes even with its issues. :)

What I like for Covenant is that I don't have to do a lot of building: the structures are more than adequate and the layout pretty good, so it's just a matter of getting furniture and amenities where I want them.

But yes it's irksome how buggy it is and it's obviously a half-assed, unfinished version of something they had much grander plans for originally.

I think in this playthrough the only settlements I haven't obtained yet at this point is Spectacle Island and Croup Manor. There's a number I need to touch up/rebuild/add on to, though. Sanctuary is actually still fairly primitive, and Egret Tours needs to be finished being turned into an upscale (for the Wasteland) trading post.


DeathQuaker wrote:
But yes it's irksome how buggy it is and it's obviously a half-assed, unfinished version of something they had much grander plans for originally.

You mean, kind of like how The Combat Zone was originally intended for you to be able to do cage fights? There's a ton of recorded dialogue with Tommy Lonegan that's not implemented, but very interesting to hear because it really suggests that the character interactions there were planned to be much more involved.


Up until 2 1/2 weeks ago, I'd snagged everything but the Castle, Spectacle Island and the Slog. Oh, and the Mechanist's Lair.

The Concord Five are still languishing in the Museum. My Sanctuary has 4 minions doing their thing.

I've only poked around for 3 hours since 4th April on FO4. (Breaking 1k hours will do that I suppose.) Like the stuff in WW I saw.

Bugthesda really needed another six months or so to properly polish this game into something awesome. What they cut out, what was left in assorted states of disconnect ... guess it finally got to me.

RPG Superstar 2015 Top 8

Otherwhere wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
But yes it's irksome how buggy it is and it's obviously a half-assed, unfinished version of something they had much grander plans for originally.
You mean, kind of like how The Combat Zone was originally intended for you to be able to do cage fights? There's a ton of recorded dialogue with Tommy Lonegan that's not implemented, but very interesting to hear because it really suggests that the character interactions there were planned to be much more involved.

Yup, and how the Brotherhood plotline was supposed to have a lot more variance and opportunity, like the possibility of becoming Elder yourself, or getting promoted to Sentinel still if you finish the MQ for the Minutemen but remain an active, loyal member of the Brotherhood.

Don't get me wrong, I have put a ridiculous amount of time into this game--more than I have in any other RPG in a long time, and I love RPGs. So obviously it has a lot of appeal to me, and I can't look at my 380+ hours of play--which is a lot for me personally on one game, even if it's not for other people--and go "meh." Obviously I've had buttloads of fun. Fallout 4 in particular has beautiful, varied world with some great characters, and it scratches both my itch to explore and my itch to build and customize very satisfyingly.

But--and I often feel this way about Bethesda games--I also see a lot of failed potential. I have a feeling Bethesda goes big in concept and often bites off more than it can chew (it may make what are considered AAA games but the studio's still relatively small). Rather than build up from small--okay, this is what we MUST have, this is what would be nice to add, and build the "musts" to absolute completion first, then add on the "would be nice" bits one bit of a time--they just try to go all in and then ultimately fail to deliver what they fully intended. Even if they deliver something that is fun, you can see obvious places where they actually failed to meet their OWN expectations, and it's inevitable that failure is going to extend to disappointment by the players. The brilliance of the game is seen in the world itself, and in a lot of amazingly crafted moments here and there... but whoever is running the show, making sure things get prioritized properly and that everything they want to finish gets finished, is falling down on the job repeatedly. Given this has largely been unchanged since prior games (Skyrim and Fallout 3 also had a lot of "oh, I bet this would have been so much cooler if this coding would have been fixed", etc.) they are also moreover not learning from their mistakes, and that is frustrating. They need a new "showrunner" as it were, one who is not overambitious, who can schedule and prioritize development correctly. Ambition is good, but ambition without the ability to follow-through is a road to disaster.

2,401 to 2,450 of 3,408 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Video Games / Fallout 4 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.