Complete Wizard Guide [Ver. 2.0]


Advice

1 to 50 of 154 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

28 people marked this as a favorite.

PDF Version

Google Docs Version

The PDF version is for general viewing. It has bookmarks for easy navigation and it will load faster than the Google Docs version. Please download the PDF and use Adobe PDF Reader or a similar program to enjoy all of the features of the guide.

Google Docs version will take a long time to load, so beware. Both versions will be open for comments but the Google Docs version might be the easiest to comment on since you can select the specific text.

Included in this version:
- Minor edits from the previous guide
- Completely rewritten race section for the new Advanced Race Guide
- Spell Evaluations for race specific spells (Use CTRL-F "ARG:" to find quickly)
- New Archetypes added
- 3 Build Examples included at end of guide
- PDF included in the original post of the discussion thread for easy location.


Bug report: you have "Notable Alternate Half-Orc Traits" under the Dwarf header.


Man, I had how the Spellbinder archetype works all wrong, I thought you could cast a Spell Bond spell as a full round action, essentially just using your standard and move actions to swap out and cast the spell, the same way a cleric swaps a spell to cast a cure spell. This bums me out a bit.


VRMH wrote:
Bug report: you have "Notable Alternate Half-Orc Traits" under the Dwarf header.

Fixed in the Google Docs version. I have a PDF whipped up with the fix as well (As well as one other issue I noticed) but I haven't figured out how to replace the existing PDF (Keeping the same URL.)

If anyone has any advice on this let me know.

Gambit wrote:
Man, I had how the Spellbinder archetype works all wrong, I thought you could cast a Spell Bond spell as a full round action, essentially just using your standard and move actions to swap out and cast the spell, the same way a cleric swaps a spell to cast a cure spell. This bums me out a bit.

I'd totally recommend it if that were the case. It would be like 9 free preferred spells with the slight drawback of a full-round action. It'd still be tough on the action economy at higher levels, but with the right spells it'd be worth it.

Grand Lodge

Wow a lot of work went into that guide, thanks.


Now I know my guide is 200 pages long now...

But I wanted to specifically call out the Samsaran as an Optimized Race for the Wizard.

Mystic Past Life opens up a lot of possibilities for cross-class goodness that otherwise required Pathfinder Savant or to some degree Mystic Theurge.

I have this urge to go through the other Arcane Class spells simply to evaluate just how good this racial feature could be.

Here are just a few possibilities off the top of my head:
- Cure spells (Witch or Bard)
- Early Access to Euphoric Tranquility, Irresistible Dance, Dominate Person, Greater Dispel Magic, or Hold Person (Bard)
- Early Access to Haste and Maze (Summoner)
- Good Hope, Sound Burst, and Freedom of Movement (Bard)
- Vomit Swarm, Speak with Dead, and Raise Dead (Witch)

I'm going to make another thread about this, because I want more ideas. But I simply wanted to say the Samsaran excites me.


Once you start considering them, it's hard not to roll up a Samsaran caster.


I feel like the dwarf favored-class option was misread when writing this. It says you get that 4,000 gp (well, 4,000 gp at level 20) every day. In other words, by level 20, you are crafting items 5 times faster than nearly everyone else. For a +10 equivalent weapon, that means it would take 40 days instead of 200.

Edit: Also, you didn't mention taking wood as an opposed school for an earth elemental wizard. Not sure how useful that might be. Just an oversight I noticed.


MagiMaster wrote:

I feel like the dwarf favored-class option was misread when writing this. It says you get that 4,000 gp (well, 4,000 gp at level 20) every day. In other words, by level 20, you are crafting items 5 times faster than nearly everyone else. For a +10 equivalent weapon, that means it would take 40 days instead of 200.

Edit: Also, you didn't mention taking wood as an opposed school for an earth elemental wizard. Not sure how useful that might be. Just an oversight I noticed.

You are absolutely correct. That is a horrible misinterpretation on my part, and I've fixed it.

Also mentioned that you can take Wood as an opposed school for Earth Elemental Wizard. Wood School has some nice spells as well, but it's not quite as painful as giving up Air in early levels.


Have you looked over the Acadame Graduate feat? Would it be worth focusing on Fort save for that Feat for a Conjouration mage?

Also, I know that a starting Int of 20 is nice, but is it absulutly needed at the start?


ddgon wrote:

Have you looked over the Acadame Graduate feat? Would it be worth focusing on Fort save for that Feat for a Conjouration mage?

Also, I know that a starting Int of 20 is nice, but is it absulutly needed at the start?

What source is that feat from?

And as far as INT goes, it really depends on your goals as a Wizard. If you're mainly going to be summoning with the occasional buff and exploitation of spells that don't allow a saving throw, then no it's not really that important to start with a 20.

However, if you are going to be using spells that allow for a saving throw at all, I'd say it's crucial. It's a pain in the neck to raise your base DCs, and NOT starting with a 20 INT means one less on all of your DCs for the entire game. Remember that the inherent bonuses cap out at +5, Enhancement bonuses cap out at +6 (in most games), and level bonuses cap out at +5.

Not to mention it's expensive to raise your stats in general.

And INT doesn't just provide a 5% success boost to your DCs, it also grants you more spells per day. A 20 INT is the difference between starting with 3 spells per day vs. 4 spells per day at level 1. This is pretty huge since you really don't want to have to spend your time firing and reloading that crossbow when you can avoid it. If you're starting at a higher level, you might not care about this as much.

More importantly, the other stats just aren't as important for the Wizard in general. In most cases it's okay to completely dump Strength and Charisma and you'll still end up with a decent constitution and dexterity score.


d20PFSRD.com local feats. It comes from the Crimson Thrones player guide.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/local-feats/acadamae-graduate-local-1


ddgon wrote:

d20PFSRD.com local feats. It comes from the Crimson Thrones player guide.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/local-feats/acadamae-graduate-local-1

I think that is definitely a good feat. I know you have to take it at level 1, but I think it shines the most at later levels when your actions can all be filled with something and you are less likely to be fatigued. Taking the fort feat helps a little, but then I think you are chewing up your precious feats. I think that feat is best supplemented with a cloak of resistance.

Invisibility or mirror image can let you take the round casting time with little worry before then.


Updated PDF with fixes and added more bookmarks for subsections.

Apparently the script blockers I have on Firefox were preventing me from doing it before. (Used Google Chrome for upload.)


The DC is fairly high, but can be a usefull ability. At level 1, with Con 14 and Rat Familer and a trait for fort you can get +5, which means that 45% of the time you make the save (for a level one spell, which at level 1 is all you can cast).

At level 3 you should have a cape to add 1 to that, as well as a class bonus of 1 so a save of +7. DC of 17 means you are 50%.

At level three, being able to full round cast SM2 and the next round fast cast means you can get 2 Hell Hounds to show up and attack/breath that round. Very deadly at that level. Granted, you have to worship a LE God and are likely LN or LE yourself. And you use 2 of your 3 second level spells for the day. But for some campians it could be worth it.


Oh, it's definitely good. And fatigue isn't too devastating for a wizard if it does happen, not to mention it's not too hard to get rid of. (lyrakien improved familiar can do it pretty fast.)


Something else I just noticed: You don't have to be level 18 to craft invulnerability armor. The CL of an item does not have any connection to the CL of the creator (unless the effect has a direct connection to CL). +3 is expensive though and you probably won't have wish or miracle when you first attempt this, so that's a +5 to the DC (but still probably easy enough for a take-10), so you can't do it right when you get CMAnA.

See the FAQ about the pearl of power for an example.


Yay! I made it to the front page :)...

From now on I will introduce myself as someone who "recommended getting Eldritch Heritage to get your Item bond back with the Arcane Bloodline" (just to be strict: you can get back your Familiar too :)).

I think this is a good place to express my utmost respect for your effort. The amount of work you had to put into the guide is absolutely stunning. Building on strong foundations (Logicninja's and Treantmonk's concepts), you compiled many different resources and brought a lot of additional insight to create a trully Complete Guide to Wizards. You deserve full credit for that.

Best Regards,
Novack.


MagiMaster wrote:

Something else I just noticed: You don't have to be level 18 to craft invulnerability armor. The CL of an item does not have any connection to the CL of the creator (unless the effect has a direct connection to CL). +3 is expensive though and you probably won't have wish or miracle when you first attempt this, so that's a +5 to the DC (but still probably easy enough for a take-10), so you can't do it right when you get CMAnA.

See the FAQ about the pearl of power for an example.

Good call. I get to delete that sentence now.

Novack wrote:

Yay! I made it to the front page :)...

From now on I will introduce myself as someone who "recommended getting Eldritch Heritage to get your Item bond back with the Arcane Bloodline" (just to be strict: you can get back your Familiar too :)).

I think this is a good place to express my utmost respect for your effort. The amount of work you had to put into the guide is absolutely stunning. Building on strong foundations (Logicninja's and Treantmonk's concepts), you compiled many different resources and brought a lot of additional insight to create a trully Complete Guide to Wizards. You deserve full credit for that.

Best Regards,
Novack.

Heh, that was you that said that. When I was writing my thoughts on spellbinder I didn't actually go into the other guide's thread grab your name, what you said just stuck with me. If you want I can credit you.

"Item Bond" is a typo, I meant to say "Arcane Bond".

And I'm glad you like the guide. It was fun to write and it definitely helped me regain my appreciation for the Wizard.


So I was thinking about whether I should write other guides. I thought it would be fun to write "Professor Q's guide to the BSF"

But then most of the guide would be about the "Optimization Dilemma".

Let's say I have a plan that would increase the damage of your character by 125%, what's going to instantly happen is that the DM is going to simply increase the HP of all of his monsters by 125% in order to try and continue to provide a challenge for the party - so it's as if nothing happened at all.

Hence the Optimization Dilema - as your party damage increases so does the enemy HP to counter it.

This is another reason I like Wizards; their contribution is often unique especially when it's in the form of battlefield control. Changing the environment is something that cannot necessarily be valued with a number. Optimization of the simple numbers is more easily made moot by the DM.

So in a BSF guide, I'd be very tempted to spend the entire time talking about the value of combat maneuvers and other control options to vary your assault, because that's just what interests me.

That said, I kind of wonder if a BSF guide written by someone who knows exactly what a Wizard would want in a companion might be good.


Something to consider for your Early Access spell list for the Samsaran.

Teleport.

Summoners have Teleport as a 4th level spell. May not seem all that powerful, but consider this.

A Wand of Teleport.

That's right, a Samsaran Wizard could craft a Wand of Teleport for 5,250 gp and Teleport 50 times. It turns the Samsaran into the Ultimate Taxi Cab and is a Must as far as Wands go.


Hmm, I'm a little curious why you didn't mention mixing Thassilonian Specialist with Opposition Research? RAW, it doesn't work, but I'd imagine most GMs would be fine with allowing you to remove one of your opposed schools.

If a GM allows it, that could easily turn Wrath into a Blue and Sloth into a Green.

[Edit] Also, I don't really consider Read Magic all that important of a spell. Detect Magic is wonderful, but Read Magic is meh. I've only played one Wizard, but I've seen many played. I have never once seen anyone prepare Read Magic because most people get about a +10* Spellcraft at first level, so you have a very good chance of just making a Spellcraft check and deciphering scrolls. Especially if you're a an Elf or Half-Elf (put Skill Focus - Spellcraft).

+1 Rank +3 Class +4-5 Int +2 Elf or +3 Half-Elf. A Half-Elf should have either an 11 or 12 in Spellcraft while an Elf should have anywhere from a 10 to 14 in Spellcraft. A Half-Elf or Elven Wizard should never need to prepare Read Magic.


KaptainKrunch said wrote:
If you want I can credit you

No need... Being mysterious "someone" suits my nature more ;).

Regarding Samsaran:
They could be fun and powerful, but they are rare race in first place, making them subject to GM approval for most of campaigns.

Considering this fact, using their class feature to gain early access to Wizards spells strikes me as a thing that will most likely urge your GM to take out The Good Ol' Ban Hammer and hit your character concept so hard, that it will end up in previous incarnation :P.

Regarding Thassilonian Specialist:
Even if the Opposition Research is allowed (and as you have said it's not working RAW), your character is still severely gimped up to level 9.


Tels wrote:

Something to consider for your Early Access spell list for the Samsaran.

Teleport.

Summoners have Teleport as a 4th level spell. May not seem all that powerful, but consider this.

A Wand of Teleport.

That's right, a Samsaran Wizard could craft a Wand of Teleport for 5,250 gp and Teleport 50 times. It turns the Samsaran into the Ultimate Taxi Cab and is a Must as far as Wands go.

That is neat that you can turn it into a wand. But I wonder how often you'll actually need it. Teleport isn't something I see doing absolutely every day, and it's not really something I can see much benefit from your familiar being able to cast (Except in a really odd circumstance.)

I think Treantmonk's initial suggestion to put Teleport on a Staff is fine since you can recharge it with no extra expense. Though in some campaigns, where you might need to be all over the place, the 50 charges would definitely be worth it.


Tels wrote:

Hmm, I'm a little curious why you didn't mention mixing Thassilonian Specialist with Opposition Research? RAW, it doesn't work, but I'd imagine most GMs would be fine with allowing you to remove one of your opposed schools.

If a GM allows it, that could easily turn Wrath into a Blue and Sloth into a Green.

[Edit] Also, I don't really consider Read Magic all that important of a spell. Detect Magic is wonderful, but Read Magic is meh. I've only played one Wizard, but I've seen many played. I have never once seen anyone prepare Read Magic because most people get about a +10* Spellcraft at first level, so you have a very good chance of just making a Spellcraft check and deciphering scrolls. Especially if you're a an Elf or Half-Elf (put Skill Focus - Spellcraft).

+1 Rank +3 Class +4-5 Int +2 Elf or +3 Half-Elf. A Half-Elf should have either an 11 or 12 in Spellcraft while an Elf should have anywhere from a 10 to 14 in Spellcraft. A Half-Elf or Elven Wizard should never need to prepare Read Magic.

Huh... I'm not sure why I didn't mention Thassilonian specialist. In either case, opposition research isn't available until level 9, before that you're going to be really wishing you had Mirror Image and Invisibility, especially if you're summoning at all since some DMs might make a habit of going after you once you start that full-round casting time.

It's certainly a good idea though. What did I rate it? Orange? I think even with Opposition Research the wait until halfway through your character's life keeps that rating fair.

As far as Spellcraft as a replacement for Read Magic - decipher scroll is a DC 20 + Spell Level meaning that to decipher a level 1 scroll you're looking at a 21 DC. INT 5 + 1 Rank + 3 Class Skill Bonus + 2 Racial Bonus is 11 at level 1, 13 if you decide to put Skill Focus into it as a Half Elf, or 15 if you do that as an Elf. As an Elf at worst you're looking at a 45% fail chance and at best a 25% fail chance. The odds aren't terrible, but that is 1 out of 4 scrolls you read are a fail. Obviously this gets better as you level up, dropping by 5% per rank, at level 10 you're looking at a 21 spellcraft, giving you a 15% fail chance on a level 5 spell. This sounds almost like being afflicted with Deafness for most of your career.

But it all depends on how much you depend on scrolls. If you are just using scrolls as the occasional utility contingency then you may be able to take 10 in any circumstance you'd need them.

So with that in mind guess I'll mention that as an option.

In either case though you could always take Read Magic as an opposition memorization.

The biggest thing I'd miss from Divination is Detect Magic to be honest.


Novack wrote:
KaptainKrunch said wrote:
If you want I can credit you

No need... Being mysterious "someone" suits my nature more ;).

Regarding Samsaran:
They could be fun and powerful, but they are rare race in first place, making them subject to GM approval for most of campaigns.

Considering this fact, using their class feature to gain early access to Wizards spells strikes me as a thing that will most likely urge your GM to take out The Good Ol' Ban Hammer and hit your character concept so hard, that it will end up in previous incarnation :P.

Regarding Thassilonian Specialist:
Even if the Opposition Research is allowed (and as you have said it's not working RAW), your character is still severely gimped up to level 9.

Then a mysterious someone you shall be.

Heh, you already addressed my issue with Thassilonian Specialist.

As far as the Samsaran, the reason I divided the spells out between early access and off-spell list spells is because I, as a DM, wouldn't even allow the early access spells. As I mentioned "The hardest part of being a Samsaran is getting your DM to let you play an uncommon race."

While by RAW it seems like it's available and that's totally awesome, it's also totally broken and as such I don't really consider it an option. (But if it is, then you have my suggestions.)


I haven't finished the whole guide yet but I got to the feats and specifically Breadth of Experience. You mention that you only need CR +10 to identify monsters, actually it's CR+10 to identify a bit of useful information about monsters. Then every +5 you make your roll by is more information. It's always helpful to max out your knowledge skills.

PRD wrote:
A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster. For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information


The Wand of Teleport was something that occured to me that would be very broken if used right. For instance, a Samsaran could pick up a Bards Scrying (a 3rd level spell) and make a Wand of it for 5,675 gp, and at 7th level, pick up Summoner's Teleport to make a Wand for 10,500 gp.

So now you've got a very potent 'scry and fry' combo of Wands. Later one, one could take Staff-like Wand for even more deadliness (as you now use your own caster level).

I know you've got Staff-like Wand at Green-Red depending on the GM, but the GM isn't necessary to get the maximum effect out of this Arcane Discovery. You could craft the weakest wands necessary, and then in your hands, the act as if though you had actively prepared and cast them yourself. A 1st level Wand of Magic Missile would be shooting off 5 Magic Missiles, simply because you used it. The 5 round Haste Wand now lasts 11 rounds, simply because you picked it up.

Hell, if you've been maxing out your UMD for your Familiar, snatch those Cure Wands from the Cleric and use them yourself, because they are cast using your own Caster Level.

There is a reason Staff-Like Wand was banned from PFS.

[Edit] Also, Continual Flame, Heighten it to 4th level, then cast it on some object. Now you have a Light spell that automatically overcomes all Darkness Spell-Like Abilities, and most Darkness spells. Because who prepares Heightened Darkness spells?


KaptainKrunch wrote:
As far as Spellcraft as a replacement for Read Magic - decipher scroll is a DC 20 + Spell Level meaning that to decipher a level 1 scroll you're looking at a 21 DC. INT 5 + 1 Rank + 3 Class Skill Bonus + 2 Racial Bonus is 11 at level 1, 13 if you decide to put Skill Focus into it as a Half Elf, or 15 if you do that as an Elf. As an Elf at worst you're looking at a 45% fail chance and at best a 25% fail chance. The odds aren't terrible, but that is 1...

What prevents you from taking 20 when deciphering scrolls with spellcraft? It takes you 20 rounds but it isn't likely that there will be many situations that will require you to decipher the scroll in 1 round anyway.

That is why read magic is useless.


Jodokai wrote:

I haven't finished the whole guide yet but I got to the feats and specifically Breadth of Experience. You mention that you only need CR +10 to identify monsters, actually it's CR+10 to identify a bit of useful information about monsters. Then every +5 you make your roll by is more information. It's always helpful to max out your knowledge skills.

PRD wrote:
A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster. For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information

You're right. I need to clarify that feat.


Tels wrote:

The Wand of Teleport was something that occured to me that would be very broken if used right. For instance, a Samsaran could pick up a Bards Scrying (a 3rd level spell) and make a Wand of it for 5,675 gp, and at 7th level, pick up Summoner's Teleport to make a Wand for 10,500 gp.

So now you've got a very potent 'scry and fry' combo of Wands. Later one, one could take Staff-like Wand for even more deadliness (as you now use your own caster level).

I know you've got Staff-like Wand at Green-Red depending on the GM, but the GM isn't necessary to get the maximum effect out of this Arcane Discovery. You could craft the weakest wands necessary, and then in your hands, the act as if though you had actively prepared and cast them yourself. A 1st level Wand of Magic Missile would be shooting off 5 Magic Missiles, simply because you used it. The 5 round Haste Wand now lasts 11 rounds, simply because you picked it up.

Hell, if you've been maxing out your UMD for your Familiar, snatch those Cure Wands from the Cleric and use them yourself, because they are cast using your own Caster Level.

There is a reason Staff-Like Wand was banned from PFS.

[Edit] Also, Continual Flame, Heighten it to 4th level, then cast it on some object. Now you have a Light spell that automatically overcomes all Darkness Spell-Like Abilities, and most Darkness spells. Because who prepares Heightened Darkness spells?

Staff-like wand was one of the feats I first rated that I don't think I gave enough credit. I will definitely give it a re-evaluation once I get home.


Gignere wrote:
KaptainKrunch wrote:
As far as Spellcraft as a replacement for Read Magic - decipher scroll is a DC 20 + Spell Level meaning that to decipher a level 1 scroll you're looking at a 21 DC. INT 5 + 1 Rank + 3 Class Skill Bonus + 2 Racial Bonus is 11 at level 1, 13 if you decide to put Skill Focus into it as a Half Elf, or 15 if you do that as an Elf. As an Elf at worst you're looking at a 45% fail chance and at best a 25% fail chance. The odds aren't terrible, but that is 1...

What prevents you from taking 20 when deciphering scrolls with spellcraft? It takes you 20 rounds but it isn't likely that there will be many situations that will require you to decipher the scroll in 1 round anyway.

That is why read magic is useless.

According to the take 20 rules it is assumed when you take 20 that you are trying and retrying over again. I interpret that as meaning you can't take 20 unless you can retry. Spellcraft does not specifically list "decipher scroll" as something you can retry...

Does that mean that you can retry by default?

Edit: looks like you can


i noticed one possible mistake, how can you be a univeralist school when taking forsight its divination school?


djtezlee wrote:
i noticed one possible mistake, how can you be a univeralist school when taking forsight its divination school?

Is that on the scroll scholar archetype?


its one of your builds.... elf "universalist" Diviner


also i cant find Fleet-footed anywhere please can you explain what and where it is


ah i found fleet footed never mind about that


djtezlee wrote:

its one of your builds.... elf "universalist" Diviner

Ah, the reason I put "universalist" up there in quotes was because the build abuses preferred spell as a way to replace your specialization slots, meaning with the right selection of preferred spells you won't have to be stuck with a divination spell every level.

Fleet footed is an alternate racial trait for the elf in the ARG.

I may need to clarify that build a little more.


Thanks though it is a good eye opener.... shame im level 4 and have changed once already else id be going to that diviner spec. i chose counter class as i wanted to pawn magic users....


another thing too, i took counter class as it gives me improved counter at level 6, i was gonner take parry spell too, but as for the initial counter i can use dispell magic.... what do i do if the spell is a higher level than dispell magic, would it still work?


djtezlee wrote:
another thing too, i took counter class as it gives me improved counter at level 6, i was gonner take parry spell too, but as for the initial counter i can use dispell magic.... what do i do if the spell is a higher level than dispell magic, would it still work?

I think you just need to make a dispel check against their spell.

Liberty's Edge

I notice a lot of generous rules interpretation which is generally not supported by RAW and usually not supported by RAI. These sections seem to always have disclaimers (have not read the entire guide), but I would vote against including questionable rules interpretations in a guide at all.


Nipin wrote:
I notice a lot of generous rules interpretation which is generally not supported by RAW and usually not supported by RAI. These sections seem to always have disclaimers (have not read the entire guide), but I would vote against including questionable rules interpretations in a guide at all.

I am happy to look at the parts where I have done this. What examples do you have?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hmm.. quick idea with those samsarans.
Pick up augument summons
Summoner as extra spells, especially earlier access to summon monster spells.

..Funny detail.. at early levels, below 12, youll pretty much be summoning monsters that have your level as CR.


ddgon wrote:

d20PFSRD.com local feats. It comes from the Crimson Thrones player guide.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/local-feats/acadamae-graduate-local-1

This is a 3.5 source, so it shouldn't wind up in a PFRPG Wizard Guide.


d20pfsrd

Means d20 PathFinder System Reference Document.

The PFSRD typically contains all information published by Paizo that is OGL (Open Game License. Anything that is legally "free" to copy, the PFSRD puts onto their website.

The PFSRD also usually has infromation from new books within about a month of the book being released. Case-in-point, you can find the Advanced Race Guide information on the PFSRD, but not on the PRD.

Also, since the PFSRD is maintained by fans, you often find additonal content included in the pages. Like if a Spell refers to a table or certain set of rules, like how all the Detect spells usually refer to Detect Evil or Detect Magic, they can often times be found within the spell itself. They also find mistakes in various forms. Like when a Creature is missing it's Size bonus to CMD or CMB or a racial bonus to Skills, they will put an *Editor's Note informing people about the error, and encouraging them to use the correct number.

I vastly prefer the PFSRD to the PRD, I find it easier to navigate, more complete, more accurate, and more useful.

Also, the specific feat in question is a from a Pathfinder Adventure Path called Curse of the Crimson Throne. It is still a valid source to pull from for feats, items spells etc.

What you were mistaking the d20pfsrd for is the Hypertext d20SRD.


Tels wrote:


Also, the specific feat in question is a from a Pathfinder Adventure Path called Curse of the Crimson Throne. It is still a valid source to pull from for feats, items spells etc.

What you were mistaking the d20pfsrd for is the Hypertext d20SRD.

Not quite. Everything in Curse of the Crimson Throne and its player's guide are 3.5 material. I'm well aware of d20pfsrd and what it is vis-a-vis d20srd, but one of it's strengths (or weaknesses depending on how you use it) is that it contains a reasonable amount of 3pp or 3.5 material (usually fan converted but 3.5 nonetheless). I assure you, the Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide is 100% 3.5 material (in fact, check the copyright and you'll find it was written before PFRPG ever existed).

EDIT: OK, I see what caused your misunderstanding. When I said "this" I meant CotCT PG, not d20pfsrd. CotCT PG is no more a valid source than Dragon Compendium 1 or anything else Paizo published for 3.5.


Additional Resources for PFS wrote:

Curse of the Crimson Throne Player's Guide

Equipment: all equipment on pages 12–13; Feats: Acadamae Graduate, Crossbow Mastery

Link

Just because it's 3.5, doesn't mean it isn't viable. Keep in mind too, this isn't just a guide for PFS, it's a guide for all Wizards (1-20), homebrew and not. Most GMs that I'm aware of will allow material from all of Paizo's APs, not just the ones that are PFRPG only.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

simulacrum at lvl 9. Ow dear. For that samsara.
Quite an early moment to gain your own dragon and own hag coven and djinni, efreti.. and much much more.

Just sell almost all equipment, save that headband of int, then use the rest of the money to make minions!


Also, a little nitpick for Create Demiplane...

Timeless wrote:
On planes with this trait, time still passes, but the effects of time are diminished. How the timeless trait affects certain activities or conditions such as hunger, thirst, aging, the effects of poison, and healing varies from plane to plane. The danger of a timeless plane is that once an individual leaves such a plane for one where time flows normally, conditions such as hunger and aging occur retroactively. If a plane is timeless with respect to magic, any spell cast with a noninstantaneous duration is permanent until dispelled.

For instance, take the Astral Plane.

Astral Plane wrote:
Timeless: Age, hunger, thirst, afflictions (such as diseases, curses, and poisons), and natural healing don't function in the Astral Plane, though they resume functioning when the traveler leaves the Astral Plane.

That means, while on the Astral Plane, you don't age, you don't get hungry or thirsty. If you are Poisoned or Diseased, they stop negatively affecting you (but you are still Poisoned or Diseased). If you have Regeneration, Fast Healing, or you sleep to regain spells, you don't regain HP. A Troll on the Astral Plane doesn't regenerate.

Time still passes though, so while you may live for 10,000 years on the Astral Plane, 10,000 years pass by on the Material Plane. If you ever return to the Material Plane, you will rapidly age 10,000 years and feel the hunger and thirst of 10,000 year of not feeding or drinking.

The closest thing to what you wanted was Flowing Time, but that's limited to Half and Double only. So either Time flows half as fast, or flows twice as fast.

1 to 50 of 154 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / Advice / Complete Wizard Guide [Ver. 2.0] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.