Let's Talk About The Things we "Like" about the new Rules


Pathfinder Society

Silver Crusade 4/5

So.. Although the flaming wars have begun about the new ruleset, I would actually like for us to talk about the good things that have come from the new ruleset. We know that we aren't going to win everyone, and we may agree to disagree, but let's shine some light on the positive and not the negative here.

Any flaming will be immediately flagged for deletion. If you've got a serious gripe, go to the other threads that are currently hosting flames. I'm dead serious about this.

Here is my list of things I like about the new rules:

1) Love the new look of it in general. It's so rich with color and smexy new art.

2) I love that we can now take 10 on day job checks. So if we only have one rank at least we can get 10gp out the deal.

3) I love we can play at least some new races. Finally, I get to make an Aasmarian Cleric.. (Now all I need is Viskanhan Inqusitor and my gaming dreams are complete.)

I know it's not what most of us wanted, but at least now those who are complaining about "elitism" and "no love to other races" can be quiet. And if this means the difficulty is increased in our future gameplay, then so be it. I get tired of hearing that PFS is "too easy" anyway. When in honesty, it's sooooo not.

4) I love that the free re-rolls now expands to Player Folio holders as well. Now I am assuming this also goes for us PDF holders as well, so start printing out your sheets for your re-rolls!

5) I am glad that they unified the chronicles rules for scenarios and modules. I hated like heck to tell my Module Marathon players that they had to create new characters and apply it to them, when they had a PC two sessions away from that level.

These are the things I like. What are the things you like?

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Arizona—Phoenix

I like the new allowed races. One of my players that can't make cons is happy about that.
I like the 1st level retraining allowance to let new players correct early mistakes. I'm hoping people will not start harping for expanded retraining rules. :/
I'm REALLY glad to see that there will be a Year of the Risen Rune t-shirt!

The Exchange 2/5 Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Quote:
4) I love that the free re-rolls now expands to Player Folio holders as well. Now I am assuming this also goes for us PDF holders as well, so start printing out your sheets for your re-rolls!

Nope, have to have the actual folio.

The Exchange 2/5 Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

I like almost all the changes. Only downside is my poor mini-sectionist is going to have to be rebuilt as a mini-monk.

Grand Lodge 4/5

I love all of it. PFS has bought a new sword, ditched the halfplate for magical fullplate and is getting stuff done!

5/5 5/55/55/5

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I love the rebuild. Means I don't need to worry about helping a newbie get the character exactly right in the 15 minutes before a game.

Silver Crusade 4/5

Dennis Baker wrote:
Quote:
4) I love that the free re-rolls now expands to Player Folio holders as well. Now I am assuming this also goes for us PDF holders as well, so start printing out your sheets for your re-rolls!
Nope, have to have the actual folio.

Well I do have a physical one thanks to my Paizo subscription. So I guess my new Aasmarian cleric will get the re-rolls. She might need it.

Silver Crusade 4/5

TriOmegaZero wrote:

I like the new allowed races. One of my players that can't make cons is happy about that.

I like the 1st level retraining allowance to let new players correct early mistakes. I'm hoping people will not start harping for expanded retraining rules. :/
I'm REALLY glad to see that there will be a Year of the Risen Rune t-shirt!

Yes to all of the above. I'm looking for the Year of Risen Rune shirt so I can add it to my subscription. LOL

Grand Lodge 1/5 Venture-Agent, Texas—Mansfield

I'm pleased with the new open races. First unemployment and finances and later work and finances have kept me from being able to attend cons to pick up boons. I have pointed this out before and was waiting to create a new PC (my 4th) until the Advanced Races book came out. Now I have a reason to pick up that hardback.

Shadow Lodge 5/5

Dennis Baker wrote:
Nope, have to have the actual folio.

Correct!

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Allowing the new races justified buying the ARG and Blood of Angels, so Paizo made $18 out of me for that. Of course I then discovered that a lot of the ARG content is just copied straight from the APG, which I already own, so that's rather disappointing. The new races just about make the book worthwhile now they're playable in PFS. Just about.

The retraining rules are excellent, and very well timed (for me).

Banning the synthesist makes me happy as it caused a lot of friction, but I'm a bit sad to see Undead Lord and Gravewalker Witch go, so swings and roundabouts there.

Clarifying what constitutes an evil act, for faction missions at least, is very welcome.

Allowing GMs to receive boons on GM credit is good.

The artwork and layout is great. This is the best rules update in ages.

1/5

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'm super happy about Tengu, they are the best of all races.

TENGU! TENGU! TENGU!

I just have to shout it out! They have beaks!

(Although I think Aasimar might be a little bit too good, mechanically.)

I'm happy the way the whole rebuild thing turned out, with stats changeable people get to make a new mid-level character for free. I'd happily take that in exchange for the loss of a synthesist.

The Exchange 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

• A character may have one each of the following spells that carries overs from scenario to scenario: continual flame, masterwork transformation, secret chest, and secret page."

yeah!

I get to Continual Flame something!... wait, not that kind of flame! please don't delete me! ;)

I can quit spending 50 gp each game to cast the spell ... which turns out to NOT be Continual.

Silver Crusade 4/5

nosig wrote:

• A character may have one each of the following spells that carries overs from scenario to scenario: continual flame, masterwork transformation, secret chest, and secret page."

yeah!

I get to Continual Flame something!... wait, not that kind of flame! please don't delete me! ;)

I can quit spending 50 gp each game to cast the spell ... which turns out to NOT be Continual.

No worries Nosig, we get you. LOL

Grand Lodge 5/5

Take Boat wrote:

I'm super happy about Tengu, they are the best of all races.

TENGU! TENGU! TENGU!

I just have to shout it out! They have beaks!

(Although I think Aasimar might be a little bit too good, mechanically.)

I'm happy the way the whole rebuild thing turned out, with stats changeable people get to make a new mid-level character for free. I'd happily take that in exchange for the loss of a synthesist.

I admit I gleefully spent the afternoon making my elven curve blade wielding shiny loving rogue bird.

And yeah, I'm pretty much in favor of everything in there. The rebuild is huge for all the reasons mentioned. It's a lot of pressure to help out that guy that shows up and needs a character 10 minutes before start time. Heck, I remember making major mistakes when I was trying to speed build a character in similar circumstances. It might help with the folks in our area that seem to have 5 level one characters and nothing higher :).

I'm also a sucker for tightening up wording :)

Silver Crusade 2/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So the number one thing that I like about this is the disease part, they actually matter...Now


1 person marked this as a favorite.

@nosig did you also notice you can now T10 Dayjob rolls.

The Exchange 5/5 RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

nosig wrote:
I can quit spending 50 gp each game to cast the spell ... which turns out to NOT be Continual.

Actually, if it kept extinguishing and coming back alit, it was continual. Now it's continuous.

(Blame Gygax for using words that were bigger than he could chew, and Zeb Cook for sticking with the ill-named spell when 2nd Edition rolled around.)

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Alabama—Birmingham

BigNorseWolf wrote:
I love the rebuild. Means I don't need to worry about helping a newbie get the character exactly right in the 15 minutes before a game.

This

3/5 Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010

Take 10 on Day Job roll. I don't have to look up the table after every game. And all the other stuff too. :-)

Grand Lodge 5/5

10 people marked this as a favorite.

I love how Mike Brock listens to everyone and takes time to decide on changes to the campaign. There is something new for everyone in this guide.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I like the list of Venture Captains and Lieutenants. It is so much longer than the last list, and that means Pathfinder Society is growing by leaps and bounds!

It feels like the 80s again!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I like the clarified wording on scenarios with two prestige points. Much more sensible.

Sczarni 3/5

I like the new layout. 4.1 was passable. 4.2 is eye candy.

Edit: Ohwait... rules? I like just about everything. I'm particularly glad that they now offer three additional races (pushing those book sales, too, no doubt), and first-level rebuilds. Honestly, I was waiting on picking up the ARG, but now I have to buy a copy.

The Exchange 2/5

I am very happy about the new races I have been waiting to build an Asaimar cleric, or a Tengu anything, Tengu look like a lot of fun.

Grand Lodge 5/5

WrathW1zard wrote:
I am very happy about the new races I have been waiting to build an Asaimar cleric, or a Tengu anything, Tengu look like a lot of fun.

Well, only one problem with Tengu...how am I going to do that voice without annoying the whole table *cawwwww!*. And I like how they did asimar and teifling so they have their mortal enemies at a table but no cats to go with the birds!

Sorry, couldn't help it =).

Sovereign Court 5/5 RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Well I'm glad that I got two of the three races right. (was expecting Dhampir over Tengu).

Glad to get some use out of my portfolio. (Anyone care to define 'use'?)

Yeah on Day Job take 10, yeah on boons, yeah on permanent effects.

5/5 *

Tengu monk, and flurry with the beak. Just for giggles.

Grand Lodge 5/5

CRobledo wrote:
Tengu monk, and flurry with the beak. Just for giggles.

Or take that trait (I think) and claw-claw-peck?

5/5

Aside from the fact that I'm sad to see my master summoner disapper into the twilight sky, being given the opportunity to remake the character is awesome and allows me continued use of my dhamphir boon.

I think all the changes are a positive step towards and overall goal of a cohesive society and I haven't been able to find anything I really object to.

Grand Lodge 4/5 *

I had a tengu barbarian at my table at PaizoCon who was terrifying with his beak.

Our local Tengu contingent all speak in Crow, and have names like "Caw KaCAAAAW!" Funny, until you go insane...

I am glad to see the extra races, the removal of a few items, and especially First Level Rebuild... we will build the use of that into upcoming Cons so players can adjust before the accidentally get to level 2.

5/5

I like that the changes were awesome enough to warrant this awesome thread! And I love how awesome our community is, even if we sometimes fight a little.

I like all the changes in the guide, but the rebuilding rule is probably my favorite. I make a lot of level 1 characters from First Steps credit, and sometimes they just don't quite play how I thought they would. It's also nice to tell a brand new player, don't worry about your character, try it out this game and then we can tweak some stuff after the game.

Liberty's Edge 4/5 5/55/5 ** Venture-Lieutenant, California—Sacramento

Don Walker wrote:
I love how Mike Brock listens to everyone and takes time to decide on changes to the campaign. There is something new for everyone in this guide.

I like how well Don kiss up... ;)

Oh the guide... I love that diseases mean something now.

The Exchange 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragnmoon wrote:
Don Walker wrote:
I love how Mike Brock listens to everyone and takes time to decide on changes to the campaign. There is something new for everyone in this guide.

I like how well Don kiss up... ;)

Oh the guide... I love that diseases mean something now.

is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by the use of the phrases "kiss-up" and "disease" in the same post?

Ewww!

lol!

Grand Lodge 5/5

Scott Young wrote:

I had a tengu barbarian at my table at PaizoCon who was terrifying with his beak.

Our local Tengu contingent all speak in Crow, and have names like "Caw KaCAAAAW!" Funny, until you go insane...

That's exactly the sort of thing I had to resist. I mean, my gnome squeal with Calladavar is bad enough. I was practicing my Tengu voice in the shower this morning...I think it's going to be the second most annoying voice I do after the LFR gnome I had with the cheesy French accent =).

Scarab Sages 4/5

Scott Young wrote:

Our local Tengu contingent all speak in Crow, and have names like "Caw KaCAAAAW!" Funny, until you go insane...

That's nothing. Our local crew has two tengu gunslingers, Clint Beakwood and Birdard O'Reily. Now that's clever use of tengu naming. =)

I love the changes to the guide, especially the GMs getting boons. Now I'm not afraid of missing out on good stuff when I GM new scenarios (especially the season 3 and 4 stuff).

Silver Crusade 4/5

Michael Meunier wrote:
Scott Young wrote:

I had a tengu barbarian at my table at PaizoCon who was terrifying with his beak.

Our local Tengu contingent all speak in Crow, and have names like "Caw KaCAAAAW!" Funny, until you go insane...

That's exactly the sort of thing I had to resist. I mean, my gnome squeal with Calladavar is bad enough. I was practicing my Tengu voice in the shower this morning...I think it's going to be the second most annoying voice I do after the LFR gnome I had with the cheesy French accent =).

Heh. Sounds like what I'm thinking of doing with my character built with a nagaji race boon. I've decided he's going to "hiss" when he makes "s" sounds, but only if I can make sure he doesn't come out sounding like Cobra Commander.

As for the original topic, I like almost all of the new changes. The first level rebuild is great. Let's be honest - most people were letting newbies do it already anyway. I like that there are more races, but not too many. I like the clarification spells with the evil descriptor. I agree with the take 10 on day job ruling, though I don't know if I'll use it. Lots of other good stuff, too - too much to remember and list offhand.

Grand Lodge 5/5

Lakesidefantasy wrote:

I like the list of Venture Captains and Lieutenants. It is so much longer than the last list, and that means Pathfinder Society is growing by leaps and bounds!

It feels like the 80s again!

You should note that the list in the PFS Guide in not the complete list of Venture Officers as any Venture-Lieutenants who have the same location in their title as their Venture-Captain are not listed. This is done to save on page count since there only needs to be one contact for each particular locale.

To see the current, complete list of Venture Officers see the following web page:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/regionalCoordinators

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Fromper wrote:

[

Heh. Sounds like what I'm thinking of doing with my character built with a nagaji race boon. I've decided he's going to "hiss" when he makes "s" sounds, but only if I can make sure he doesn't come out sounding like Cobra Commander.

Try listening to Dr. Who Silurians then.

Grand Lodge 5/5

I'm imagining Sleestacks from Land of the Lost.

2/5

Quote:
To see the current, complete list of Venture Officers see the following web page:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/regionalCoordinators

Wha...? No representation for the fine state of Utah? I might have to step up and volunteer. We can't have that!

Silver Crusade 3/5 5/5

I was surprised yet very excited to see Aasimars, Tieflings and Tengu join in the list of playable races. I never expected it to go past the core book's races, but seeing those three enter in will certainly add in a bit of variety--I'm thinking of maybe making an aasimar bard and/or a tengu front-liner of some sort to play a bit.

The retraining was a big excitement for me as well. I've run two groups through First Steps and both have found that there were some choices they found they would have like changed. One even sat aside her character, finding that she didn't like the class she chose--she will be very happy to find that (since she didn't play after 1st level) she can change that.

The inclusion of how the Free RPG Day games work as far as experience and especially Prestige was a relief to see--I needed to search the forums before to know what my party got for We Be Goblins.

And my personal favorite--the GM boons. I personally am my home group's designated GM and only *play* during conventions, so I've ran nearly four times as many games as I've played and was always a little sad to miss out on the boons. While there was certainly incentive to run games before, it's nice to see the rewards for GM'ing becoming even better.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/5

JCServant wrote:
Quote:
To see the current, complete list of Venture Officers see the following web page:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/regionalCoordinators

Wha...? No representation for the fine state of Utah? I might have to step up and volunteer. We can't have that!

Do it!

Grand Lodge 4/5

JCServant wrote:
Wha...? No representation for the fine state of Utah? I might have to step up and volunteer. We can't have that!

Well, get busy. "Beehive state," for shame.

2/5

LOL. Too funny! I've been GM’ing Adventure Paths and a Homebrew for over a year, here. But, I never knew we didn't have an official PFS presence in the most bee-oriented state in the union. It IS a shame! I’m going to have to send an email right now!

The Exchange 2/5

I love the new races.
I love that they've allowed each character one item for certain spells that lasts past the end of the scenario, such as masterwork transformation.
I'm grateful they clarified the wording for the sanctioned novel chronicles.
I love the fact that they are allowing GMs to have boons for GM credit, now.
I love the first level rebuild option.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Let's Talk About The Things we "Like" about the new Rules All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Society