Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Errata


Rise of the Runelords

151 to 200 of 702 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

@JJ: Thanks for the input!


Is there a way to find errata/corrections of published APs and modules -- so not just RotRL, but all of them in general?

Or perhaps there can be an effort to systematize them? Because this thread seems extremely useful, and I'm running the first chapter of RotRL right now and it would be nice if these were ordered by page number.


.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Barl Breakbones

His Spells Per Day don't seem to make sense to me. How does he have 3 4th lvl spells? One from school, another from being a 7th lvl Wizard...where is that third one coming from? His Int isn't high enough to give a bonus spell for that level. In fact, no increase or decrease of his Intelligence makes the spells prepared line up with his spells/day. Same with third lvl- school spell, 2 from Wizard, 1 from his Int, and... where's that other one coming from? And finally, 5 lvl 0 spells/day. That's odd.

The Hero Lab downloads simply add Spells per Day manually, so I guess they didn't know either.

Side-question about balancing his Encounter overall:

Thoughts? Should I run him as-is, or adjust? Yeah, he's a Stone Giant with Wizard levels, but he is still a 7th lvl Wizard with a Stone Giant ally AND he'll have Luceria and Kaven to back him up...I'd rather not overpower him.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
And donning a skinsaw mask does 1 point of Charisma damage, not drain. Damage does not actually reduce an ability score, and therefore should not be recorded in their stats as an ability score reduction, nor does it thus render a feat like Selective Channeling unusable.

Wait, what? You're saying damage (as opposed to drain) doesn't prevent stat-based ability use? I've never understood the terminology to parse that way. For instance, a wizard whose Int stat on his sheet says 18 and then takes 7 points of Int damage has a functional Int score of 11 and therefore only can cast 1st-level spells. Am I misunderstanding a subtle distinction here? I figured you couldn't use the abilities until you healed the damage.

Grand Lodge

Anguish wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
And donning a skinsaw mask does 1 point of Charisma damage, not drain. Damage does not actually reduce an ability score, and therefore should not be recorded in their stats as an ability score reduction, nor does it thus render a feat like Selective Channeling unusable.
Wait, what? You're saying damage (as opposed to drain) doesn't prevent stat-based ability use? I've never understood the terminology to parse that way. For instance, a wizard whose Int stat on his sheet says 18 and then takes 7 points of Int damage has a functional Int score of 11 and therefore only can cast 1st-level spells. Am I misunderstanding a subtle distinction here? I figured you couldn't use the abilities until you healed the damage.

I know it's confusing, but yes, in Pathfinder ability score damage and ability score penalties don't actually affect the score. It's all in the glossary of the Core Rulebook, under Ability Score Damage, Penalty, and Drain:

PRD wrote:

Diseases, poisons, spells, and other abilities can all deal damage directly to your ability scores. This damage does not actually reduce an ability, but it does apply a penalty to the skills and statistics that are based on that ability.

For every 2 points of damage you take to a single ability, apply a –1 penalty to skills and statistics listed with the relevant ability. If the amount of ability damage you have taken equals or exceeds your ability score, you immediately fall unconscious until the damage is less than your ability score. The only exception to this is your Constitution score. If the damage to your Constitution is equal to or greater than your Constitution score, you die. Unless otherwise noted, damage to your ability scores is healed at the rate of 1 per day to each ability score that has been damaged. Ability damage can be healed through the use of spells, such as lesser restoration.

Some spells and abilities cause you to take an ability penalty for a limited amount of time. While in effect, these penalties function just like ability damage, but they cannot cause you to fall unconscious or die. In essence, penalties cannot decrease your ability score to less than 1.

...

Ability Drain: Ability drain actually reduces the relevant ability score. Modify all skills and statistics related to that ability. This might cause you to lose skill points, hit points, and other bonuses. Ability drain can be healed through the use of spells such as restoration.

Important parts emphasized by me.

Every time you reach an EVEN amount of ability damage, you take a penalty to the various skills and other checks related to that ability as specified in the glossary of the Core Rulebook. For example, receiving 2 points of Strength damage will apply a -1 penalty to Strength based skill checks, melee attack rolls, and weapon damage rolls if they rely on Strength. It also applies to CMB and CMD. It does NOT apply to carrying capacity, as that isn't named in the various stats affected by Strength damage. Strength drain WOULD affect this, however, because Strength drain actually reduces the score. Essentially damage targets your ability score modifier rather than your score, and every 2 points reduces that modifier. That "every 2 points" thing is important to remember, too, because if you take 3 points of Strength damage, it's still as if you took only 2 points. Likewise, taking 1 point of Strength damage, or in the mask's example, 1 point of Charisma damage, does nothing stat-wise until you take another point of damage.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Ulmaxes wrote:

Barl Breakbones

His Spells Per Day don't seem to make sense to me. How does he have 3 4th lvl spells? One from school, another from being a 7th lvl Wizard...where is that third one coming from? His Int isn't high enough to give a bonus spell for that level. In fact, no increase or decrease of his Intelligence makes the spells prepared line up with his spells/day. Same with third lvl- school spell, 2 from Wizard, 1 from his Int, and... where's that other one coming from? And finally, 5 lvl 0 spells/day. That's odd.

The Hero Lab downloads simply add Spells per Day manually, so I guess they didn't know either.

** spoiler omitted **

He's a Thassilon Specialist. They get an extra specialty spell, but it must be the same exact spell as the specialty spell. (Another who is the same is the Necromancer in the Sanitorium, but that isn't specifically spelled out.) The restriction for Thassilon Specialists is they cannot learn opposition school magic at all. A normal specialist can memorize an opposition school spell but it takes 2 spell slots.

Grand Lodge

Tangent has the right of it, another drawback is that Thassilon specialists can't select their prohibited schools. They're set in stone depending on what school you specialize in.


Is there a particular reason why Jakardos' ranged attack statline doesn't include either the manyshot damage to the first shot or the extra shot from rapid shot? I know it is easy to calculate them, but it still puzzles me that neither the character combat guidelines nor the ranged attack statline mention the use of either feat, when it seems fairly obvious he'd attempt to use those whenever he has the chance.
The character is from the Hook Mountain Massacre part of the module.


pg. 340 Typo- Under the Death Zone section it states that the elevation as being 26,000 ft onwards when the PCs start experiencing debilitating effects. Yet in the caps section of Death Zone it states that it's more than 2,600 feet in parentheses. Somebody forgot to add the extra zero!
Sigh, there needs to be an errata download methinks.


Dot

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Sushewakka wrote:

Is there a particular reason why Jakardos' ranged attack statline doesn't include either the manyshot damage to the first shot or the extra shot from rapid shot? I know it is easy to calculate them, but it still puzzles me that neither the character combat guidelines nor the ranged attack statline mention the use of either feat, when it seems fairly obvious he'd attempt to use those whenever he has the chance.

The character is from the Hook Mountain Massacre part of the module.

Because like Power Attack and Arcane Strike and Deadly Aim, Manyshot is a feat you activate, and there are times you don't want or can't use it. We don't include those bonuses in stat blocks usually, only bonuses that are always on no matter what, like weapon specialization.


The Rot Grub wrote:

Is there a way to find errata/corrections of published APs and modules -- so not just RotRL, but all of them in general?

Or perhaps there can be an effort to systematize them? Because this thread seems extremely useful, and I'm running the first chapter of RotRL right now and it would be nice if these were ordered by page number.

I'm interested too in a "published" systemic errata if there is one. Hard to track what exactly is an error, and what is a "oops! I forgot that modifier"! 8-).


I'd like to see that too. I'm running Rise of the Runelords at the moment (the adventurers are just about to fight Nualia) and the amount of errata identified here is a bit overwhelming.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

That's why I so enjoy Hero Labs. The information that have been compiled and established for Runelords in invaluable and speeds my process along. What's more, I can meddle with encounters and change them to suit the situation. :)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Joe Hell wrote:
I'd like to see that too. I'm running Rise of the Runelords at the moment (the adventurers are just about to fight Nualia) and the amount of errata identified here is a bit overwhelming.

Turns out, a missing +1 here and there isn't going to ruin your game. If you feel the errata is overwhelming... just run it as is. Your players won't notice, and if your game is anything at all like the games I run, the errors you and your players introduce accidentally in the game will be on par with playing with the "errata" ignored anyway. And while the thread is big, there's also a fair amount of errors in the supposed errata as well.

Don't let the possibility of errors get in the way of having fun, in other words!


James Jacobs wrote:
Joe Hell wrote:
I'd like to see that too. I'm running Rise of the Runelords at the moment (the adventurers are just about to fight Nualia) and the amount of errata identified here is a bit overwhelming.

Turns out, a missing +1 here and there isn't going to ruin your game. If you feel the errata is overwhelming... just run it as is. Your players won't notice, and if your game is anything at all like the games I run, the errors you and your players introduce accidentally in the game will be on par with playing with the "errata" ignored anyway. And while the thread is big, there's also a fair amount of errors in the supposed errata as well.

Don't let the possibility of errors get in the way of having fun, in other words!

Haha good point James. Yeah, we've missed a few things in this thread already and no one noticed/cared. And we've had a BIG break from d20 as a gaming group so we forget rules stuff all the time (last night we were arguing about whether using a ranged attack always provokes an attack of opportunity). Thanks for the advice!


Quote:

- He cannot cast a quickened mirror image because it is an illusion spell (one of his prohibited schools).

That is incorrect. In PF you can cast from opposed schools, but it eats two spell slots instead of one.


Tangent101 addressed that earlier on this page. It always pays to read the whole thread before answering. ;)

Liberty's Edge

wraithstrike wrote:
Quote:

- He cannot cast a quickened mirror image because it is an illusion spell (one of his prohibited schools).

That is incorrect. In PF you can cast from opposed schools, but it eats two spell slots instead of one.

I couldn't find who you were quoting. Who is the caster in question? If its a Thassilonian Specialist, then no, opposing school spells cannot be cast.


Trace Coburn wrote:
Tangent101 addressed that earlier on this page. It always pays to read the whole thread before answering. ;)

Read an entire page and hope someone explained in detail..ooookkkkk.


HangarFlying wrote:
wraithstrike wrote:
Quote:

- He cannot cast a quickened mirror image because it is an illusion spell (one of his prohibited schools).

That is incorrect. In PF you can cast from opposed schools, but it eats two spell slots instead of one.
I couldn't find who you were quoting. Who is the caster in question? If its a Thassilonian Specialist, then no, opposing school spells cannot be cast.

I think it was. If so I stand corrected.

Liberty's Edge

Has anyone done up a compilation document of the errata here?


I've worked on one. But it's a long way off.

Liberty's Edge

mittean wrote:
I've worked on one. But it's a long way off.

Could it be shared on Google docs as a public file? That way everyone can collaborate and we can finish faster?


Let me see if I can find it. I was still trying to work out the format.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Well, decided to do my own big comprehensive collection of errata

Google Docs link: clicky.

Just cut-and-pasted the details from this thread. Currently formatting and editing.
If I miss anything or you disagree feel free to add a comment here or in the doc.

Liberty's Edge

Jester David wrote:

Well, decided to do my own big comprehensive collection of errata

Google Docs link: clicky.

Just cut-and-pasted the details from this thread. Currently formatting and editing.
If I miss anything or you disagree feel free to add a comment here or in the doc.

Well done! I only looked at the Skinsaw Murder stuff because that is what directly affects me at the moment. Only one note I would mention regarding The Scarecrow: the only time the size of the weapon is mentioned is if the creature is using an off-sized weapon. So, to make your notation correct, it should read:

with corrections wrote:
+1 scythe +15/+10 (2d6+8/x4)” or it is wielding a medium scythe and the statblock should read “+1 medium scythe +13/+8 (2d4+8/x4)”.

Other than that, everything else looks good so far.

Liberty's Edge

HangarFlying wrote:
Jester David wrote:

Well, decided to do my own big comprehensive collection of errata

Google Docs link: clicky.

Just cut-and-pasted the details from this thread. Currently formatting and editing.
If I miss anything or you disagree feel free to add a comment here or in the doc.

Well done! I only looked at the Skinsaw Murder stuff because that is what directly affects me at the moment. Only one note I would mention regarding The Scarecrow: the only time the size of the weapon is mentioned is if the creature is using an off-sized weapon.

Other than that, everything else looks good so far.

Corrected.

Almost done the sixth book and I'll have to glance through as I run for my own additions.

After looking through the thread, one issue of contention is when to add ability bonuses: every 4 Hit Dice OR after adding 4 levels/ HD to the base HD. This seems to come up a few times and the RAW suggests the latter but it seems to be implemented as the former.
I've ignored a few "stat X should be 1 lower" changes as a result.


Great job, Jester. This was better than mine. :)

Liberty's Edge

Page 273-274
The saving throws of the alu-demons don't seem to make sense.

Regular alu-demons have Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +4
With the modified stats, the Mistress Said So power and Great Fortitude the saves *should* be Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +4, plus whatever the submissive class gives. (I lack that book.) But even if the submissive class has good Ref/Will that puts the saves at Fort +13, Ref +12, Will, +8.

But I don't want to mark that just yet until someone can get back to me with a report from Plot & Poison.

Grand Lodge

This is good work.

Liberty's Edge

Jester David wrote:
But I don't want to mark that just yet until someone can get back to me with a report from Plot & Poison.

I IMed some friends and one of them summarized the submissive from Plot & Poison for me. I'm pretty sure they found a torrent (or had it archived on some disgusting comprehensive burnt disc of illegality) but it got me the class' saves so I can't judge.

It's apparently a prestige class, and gets +4 to all saves at 4th level. Converting to Pathfinder that should drop to +3 to all saves. That puts the saves at Fort +15, Ref +11, Will, +7.

Ignoring the change to Prestige Class saves from 3.5e to PF and swapping Great Fortitude for Iron Will would put the saves at Fort +14, Ref +12, Will +10. Which is pretty darn close except Reflex is off by one.
But I'm not sure Iron Will thematically fits the characters (and it might be a pre-req for the PrC. I didn't ask what the pre-reqs are). It's a bit much just to get the numbers to fit.
So I'm just changing the numbers to 15/11/7 in my errata doc.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Part of the problem here is that the standard alu-demon has wrong base saves for a 6 HD outsider. They should be +5, +5, +2 (will is the bad save).

The saves should be:

Fort +17 (+5 outsider, +3 prest. class, +2 feat, +5 constitution, +1 lust wing, +1 mistress said so)

Ref +13 (+5 outsider, +3 prest. class, +3 dexterity, +1 lust wing, +1 mistress said so)

Will +8 (+2 outsider, +3 prest. class, +1 wisdom, +1 lust wing, +1 mistress said so)

Jester David, you should consider noting that Lokansir's statblock is wrong if you apply the Jotunblood giant template by the book.

Also, thank you for compiling all of this into a document. You are doing a great job.


Well done everybody! This is really helpfull and appreciated! The google doc is also a great work..keep sharing!

Liberty's Edge

Sc8rpi8n_mjd wrote:

Part of the problem here is that the standard alu-demon has wrong base saves for a 6 HD outsider.

Jester David, you should consider noting that Lokansir's statblock is wrong if you apply the Jotunblood giant template by the book.

Also, thank you for compiling all of this into a document. You are doing a great job.

Edited saves.

I was holding back on the Lokansir errata because it was big and I wanted to reference the source book. But sooner might be needed so I've summarized the problem in the Document.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

You can link the Lokansir statblock on D20pfsrd.com. As far as I checked, the stats are ok.

Lokansir

He is still missing the slam attacks though


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Pg. 113 - Skinsaw cultist

The attack bonus for the masterwork war razor should be +6 to account for the skinsaw mask's +1 profane bonus with slashing weapons.

Pg. 124 - Xanesha

- Impaler of Thorns damage entry is missing "plus 1 wisdom drain on first hit each round" after the damage roll.

- Her CR is wrong, should be 8 due to non-associated class levels. Lamia matriarchs have a "spell role", not "skill". A second rogue level can be added to maintain the CR.

- On the saves line, the bonus against poison should be reduced to +1 since she already has a resistance bonus included on her saves (sihedron medallion). This line is also missing the +4 bonus (untyped) against visual effects from the medusa mask.

It should read like this:

"Fort +9, Ref +18, Will +11; +1 vs. poison, +4 vs. visual effects"


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I forgot to add this to the previous post about Xanesha (cannot edit):

- Her touch attack bonus is wrong, it should be +16. It seems a -5 penalty for a secondary natural attack was applied, but she cannot use the touch at the same time as the impaler of thorns (it is a two-handed weapon)

The attack line should read as follows:

"or touch +16 (1d4 Wisdom drain)"


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Pg. 158 - Lucrecia

- Her touch attack bonus is incorrect, it should be +19. Again it seems the secondary natural attack penalty was included here, but both hands are using weapons.

The attack line should read as follows:

"or touch +19 (1d4 Wisdom drain)"

- The bonus to damage for his off-hand masterwork dagger should be +3, since she doesn't have the Double Slice feat (standard lamia matriarch does have it, so I suppose this is a copy/paste error).

The damage should read as follows:

"(1d4+3/17-20)"

Liberty's Edge

Added.

Sc8rpi8n_mjd wrote:
Her CR is wrong, should be 8 due to non-associated class levels. Lamia matriarchs have a "spell role", not "skill". A second rogue level can be added to maintain the CR.

I opted not to include this change.

She's a harder opponent due to the class level, so her CR should go up. I'm not a fan of cheaply slapping a warrior level onto monsters for a free Hit Dice.
Plus she has better gear than your average matriarch. So that alone should be an extra +1/2 CR.


A rogue is not a warrior level. It is a skill level which is why 2 rogue levels would be needed to fit the correct CR.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

The bestiary has a specific system to increase monster CR due to associated/non associated class levels. Rogue is not an associated class for a Lamia.

You could say the rogue level made her deadlier but without an increase in BAB, and no allies to flank and use that sneak attack, I disagree. She is as hard to hit as a standard lamia matriarch with mage armor on (wich she should have), nothing you cannot overcome with one or two bonuses and flanking. Also you have to take into account the fact that her spell selection got heavily nerfed (two cure x spells? really?), losing buffs like divine favor, mage armor and haste (all of them standard for a lamia matriarch); and she cannot fly or silence the battleground anymore so PCs can swarm her easily.

That said, after I posted I noticed the gear value is higher than what the rules say, so it seems the CR got adjusted for that (+1) and her CR is right.


The rogue level also grants the elite array ability adjustments (+4, +4, +2, +2, +0, -2), and NPC wealth rather than monster wealth (usually). So the first level shouldn't be given "for free", although the second one would be free (as the CR would be the same with one more level).

Liberty's Edge

wraithstrike wrote:
A rogue is not a warrior level. It is a skill level which is why 2 rogue levels would be needed to fit the correct CR.

The warrior level comment comes from my time playing Living Greyhawk. Because you rounded partial CRs down and NPC classes gave half a level it was quite common to just slap a warrior level on almost any monster, increasing its saves, BAB, HD, and possibly giving it an extra feat or stat bump with no CR increase.

While, by the rules, two rogue levels are needed to increase the CR by 1 this always feels, well, cheap.

Plus:

Are wrote:
The rogue level also grants the elite array ability adjustments (+4, +4, +2, +2, +0, -2), and NPC wealth rather than monster wealth (usually). So the first level shouldn't be given "for free", although the second one would be free (as the CR would be the same with one more level).

My thoughts exactly. Excluding just the class features, if you consider the extra HD, saves, and ability boosts it's comparable to the Advanced simple template which increases CR by 1.

And while she has no flank buddy, she can become invisible which means she can get away pretty easily and pick a tempting target for extra sneak damage.

Grand Lodge

In your errata doc, you mention the skinsaw cultist has an effective Charisma score of 7. This actually isn't true based on how ability score damage and penalties work in Pathfinder.

See James Jacobs' comment here, and my comment explaining it in detail here

Grand Lodge

Pg. 55

Orik Vancaskerkin's gear has a composite longbow in it. This should be specified as a composite longbow [+3 Str]

Grand Lodge

Pg. 61

So this is strange but Nualia's statblock was my first introduction to the Ferocity subdomain. I had the APG long before, but didn't look over every subdomain that was introduced. According to her tactics, she uses the ferocious strike ability of the Ferocity subdomain on the "first six successful hits." This implies that she gets to make an attack, and then can decide to use the ability AFTER it's confirmed as a hit. The ferocious strike ability, however, says the following:

Ferocity Domain wrote:
Ferocious strike: Whenever you make a melee attack, you can designate that attack as a ferocious strike. If the attack hits, it deals additional damage equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum +1). You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

The section I put in bold above suggests it's like every other domain ability, where you decide to use it and if it fails to work properly, the use is wasted (in this case, you decide to make the attack a ferocious strike, and if it misses, the use is wasted). Am I correct here or is there something in the Ferocity Domain I'm missing?


Some of the cleric domain abilities that work on a hit would have to be activated as swift, immediate or free action to work properly, but the rules don't say they work that way.

They do need to be errata'd.

Grand Lodge

I get the feeling that maybe the reason why Nualia has that misleading text in her tactics is because sometimes, she'll get to make a claw attack in addition to the sword attack, and could apply ferocious strike to both of those in the same turn, thereby potentially using them up before 6 rounds is up.

151 to 200 of 702 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Rise of the Runelords / Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition Errata All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.