Healing A Dhampir


Advice


So, I got the Graveblooded boon today at PaizoCon, and I'm already planning my dhampir dervish. However, I've encountered a problem - namely, that dhampirs have negative energy affinity, and bards do not have access to the inflict series of spells.

As of yet, I have not found any way to add the inflict spells to the bard list. Unless I multiclass (which I don't want to) I have come up with only one way to heal myself:

1. Put a rank into Use Magic Device, and maybe get a trait bonus.
2. Go through the first adventure with no easy access to healing, except maybe a potion, or an inflict spell from the cleric or druid if I can convince them.
3. Make absolute sure that I complete my faction mission.
4. Spend my prestige points on buying a wand of inflict light wounds.
5. From that point on, use the wand to heal myself. At 1st level, I'll have to roll for it, as even with an 18 charisma, a rank and the class skill bonus, and a trait bonus, I'd need to roll an 11 to use a wand, but after that, I can simply take 10.

Does anyone know of another way to get healing for a dhampir?

Scarab Sages

I'd buy a wand of inflict as soon as I could and give it to the cleric at the start of every adventure. For two prestige it's not a hard sell.

Grand Lodge

You'll need to put more ranks into UMD, by the way.

UMD explicitly disallows the choice of taking 10 in its description, so you will always have to roll to use the wand.

Dark Archive

You might also consider getting a wand of Infernal Healing [from the Inner Sea World Guide].

Its not on the Bard spell list, but many other arcane casters can use it for you. Grants you fast healing 1 for 10 rounds, so it makes for decent out of combat healing [presuming you don't have any moral issues regarding use of an Evil spell].


potions of inflict wounds will help as well

Dark Archive

+1 to infernal healing

Grand Lodge

Things that can heal Dhampirs:

Potions of Inflict Light Wounds (50 gp)
Scrolls of Inflict Light Wounds (25 gp)
Wands of Inflict Light Wounds (750 gp)

Note that the above wands and scrolls can be used by any Divine caster with the Inflict spells on their spell list.

Negative channels to affect living will heal a Dhampir. That means, indeed, that you DO want to make sure you are within 30' of most BBEG clerics, since they almost invariably wind up channeling to affect living at some point, when they get hard pressed.

You might also wind up in a party with a negative (or versatile) channeling cleric. Schmooze them. Then again, as I am sure you know, you should always schmooze clerics in your party.

By the way, you do have my sympathy, I have a Dhampir PC as well. Although I solved my healing issues in a simpler fashion, my Dhampir is an Undead Lord Cleric, who spontaneously casts Inflicts and channels negative energy, so... Of course, he has spent PP on two wands, a wand of Inflict for himself, and a wand of cure, just in case he is the only healer (ha!) in the party...


Might I simply add that I enjoy the image of a Dhampir drinking potions of inflict? If he's passing for human, it's even better. End of battle, party's healing, and the Dhampir takes a swig of his potion. Fighter comes over, 'Hey, can I get a sip of that?' Dhampir looks a bit awkward...'Ahm, no.' Then he moves out of range of the cleric's channel. Hah...the scene almost writes itself.

Liberty's Edge

kinevon wrote:
Note that the above wands and scrolls can be used by any Divine caster with the Inflict spells on their spell list.

Wands are neither divine nor arcane, so a wand could be used by any caster with the appropriate spell, regardless of magic source.

That having been said, it's probable that only divine casters get inflict spells, but I figured I'd chime in.


kinevon wrote:


Negative channels to affect living will heal a Dhampir.

Actually, Dhampirs are treated as undead for things like Channel Energy as per the FAQ, so they'll be healed by channels to heal undead (and hurt by channels to hurt undead), but unaffected by channels to affect living. i.e. they will not be hurt by channels to heal living or healed by channels to hurt living.

Shadow Lodge

Meshakhad wrote:
I can simply take 10.

You cannot take 10 with a UMD check.

Grand Lodge

Quantum Steve wrote:
kinevon wrote:


Negative channels to affect living will heal a Dhampir.
Actually, Dhampirs are treated as undead for things like Channel Energy as per the FAQ, so they'll be healed by channels to heal undead (and hurt by channels to hurt undead), but unaffected by channels to affect living. i.e. they will not be hurt by channels to heal living or healed by channels to hurt living.

Actually, you might want to examine the FAQ and Negative Energy Affinity again.

Dhampirs are living creatures, and therefore affected by channels that affect living. They react to channels like undead, in that negative heals them and positive harms them, but they are LIVING creatures.

Quote:
Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive, but is treated as undead for all effects that affect undead differently than living creatures, such as cure spells and channeled energy. Format: negative energy affinity; Location: Defensive Abilities


kinevon wrote:
Quantum Steve wrote:
kinevon wrote:


Negative channels to affect living will heal a Dhampir.
Actually, Dhampirs are treated as undead for things like Channel Energy as per the FAQ, so they'll be healed by channels to heal undead (and hurt by channels to hurt undead), but unaffected by channels to affect living. i.e. they will not be hurt by channels to heal living or healed by channels to hurt living.

Actually, you might want to examine the FAQ and Negative Energy Affinity again.

Dhampirs are living creatures, and therefore affected by channels that affect living. They react to channels like undead, in that negative heals them and positive harms them, but they are LIVING creatures.

Quote:
Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive, but is treated as undead for all effects that affect undead differently than living creatures, such as cure spells and channeled energy. Format: negative energy affinity; Location: Defensive Abilities

Dhampirs are alive but are treated as undead. So channels that affect living, but not undead would treat them as undead.


If it is pfs legal (I don't play pfs so I don't know what's legal) I'd suggest taking the godless healing feat.
And I think there is a magic item in the ARG that let's you heal with both kinds of channel somehow.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

Umbranus wrote:

If it is pfs legal (I don't play pfs so I don't know what's legal) I'd suggest taking the godless healing feat.

And I think there is a magic item in the ARG that let's you heal with both kinds of channel somehow.

Yes, godless healing is PFS legal, according to their list of approved sources.


1 person marked this as FAQ candidate.

A Dhampir is clearly a living creature, not an undead. If it were an undead, then the long list of abilities on page 310 of the Bestiary that apply to all undead, from the lowly zombie to the mighty nightshades, like having no constitution score, being immune to mind-affecting effects, not being subject to non-lethal damage, and so on and so forth would be applied to dhampirs, but it's not. Concordently, weapons of Disruption or Undead Bane have no special effect against them, nor do spells like Undeath to Death.

When a cleric of any alignment chooses to channel energy, he makes a desicion to either target the living or to target the undead. Since the dhampir is not an undead, any attempt to use channel energy to target the undead automatically fails on him, while any attempt to channel energy on living targets automatically will affect him.

This basically results in a sort of "double whammy" effect. A dhampir who is in a group with an evil cleric is laughing, because whenever that evil cleric channels energy to harm the living, it also heals the dhampir simultaneously. The reverse is also true, though, and dhampirs should take special care when encountering enemy good-aligned clerics (or paladins), for those can heal themselves and their allies as well harm the dhampir in the same single channel burst.

Basically a dhampir is a living thing with its polarity reversed due to its strange blood disorder.


Start your first session with at least two scrolls of inflict, and chances are there'll be a cleric, oracle, or witch along.


Werebeagle wrote:

A Dhampir is clearly a living creature, not an undead. If it were an undead, then the long list of abilities on page 310 of the Bestiary that apply to all undead, from the lowly zombie to the mighty nightshades, like having no constitution score, being immune to mind-affecting effects, not being subject to non-lethal damage, and so on and so forth would be applied to dhampirs, but it's not. Concordently, weapons of Disruption or Undead Bane have no special effect against them, nor do spells like Undeath to Death.

When a cleric of any alignment chooses to channel energy, he makes a desicion to either target the living or to target the undead. Since the dhampir is not an undead, any attempt to use channel energy to target the undead automatically fails on him, while any attempt to channel energy on living targets automatically will affect him.

This basically results in a sort of "double whammy" effect. A dhampir who is in a group with an evil cleric is laughing, because whenever that evil cleric channels energy to harm the living, it also heals the dhampir simultaneously. The reverse is also true, though, and dhampirs should take special care when encountering enemy good-aligned clerics (or paladins), for those can heal themselves and their allies as well harm the dhampir in the same single channel burst.

Basically a dhampir is a living thing with its polarity reversed due to its strange blood disorder.

A dhampir IS a living creature, but one with Negative Energy Affinity, which specifies that it is treated as undead for certain effects.

The dhampir is healed by channel negative energy used to heal undead, not by channel negative energy used to harm the living. Likewise it is harmed by channel positive energy used to harm the undead, not by channel positive energy used to heal the living. It's treated as undead for the whole effect, not just how the positive energy and negative energy effect it but also WHEN they affect it. They affect is as though it were an undead creature, meaning not just that negative heals and positive harms, but also that the effect targets it when it would target undead.

The dhampir takes no damage when the cleric heals the party, only when the cleric harms the undead.

Silver Crusade

Don't forget outlier abilities like the celestial-bloodline sorcerer's Heavenly Fire, which heals according to alignment rather than energy-affinity.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mikaze wrote:
Don't forget outlier abilities like the celestial-bloodline sorcerer's Heavenly Fire, which heals according to alignment rather than energy-affinity.

Won't work. It's the energy involved that's the problem. Heavenly Fire uses positive energy or the equivalent, so it will burn the dhampir as the dhampir itself is essentially undead to it. Heavenly Fire will also burn those vampire paladins as well.

OP... your basic problem is the same problem faced by all dhampir players. You will need to invest in a wand of inflict light wounds and either develop the UMD skill or travel with casters who can use it... i.e. clerics, bards, or other UMD masters.


"but one with Negative Energy Affinity, which specifies that it is treated as undead for certain effects. "

The actual text of Negative Energy Affinity states that a Dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead. Positive energy heals it and negative ebergy harms it. The key word here is reacts to. Since it's not a conscious reaction, but an automatic one, the creature will only react to an effect or stimulus that targets it. Therefore to affect a dhampir with an effect of any kind, including channel energy, the cleric needs to target the living. My point stands.

Silver Crusade

LazarX wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
Don't forget outlier abilities like the celestial-bloodline sorcerer's Heavenly Fire, which heals according to alignment rather than energy-affinity.

Won't work. It's the energy involved that's the problem. Heavenly Fire uses positive energy or the equivalent, so it will burn the dhampir as the dhampir itself is essentially undead to it. Heavenly Fire will also burn those vampire paladins as well.

No it won't. Heavenly fire does not use positive energy. If it did, it would be healing evil living creatures. It does not hinge on positive or negative energy affinity to decide its function.

The only factor that matters is the target's alignment.

Heavenly Fire heals good living beings and good undead beings just as surely as it harms evil living and undead beings(and does nothing to neutral ones).

Reading it any other way (which would require reading things into it that aren't there) destroys the entire point of that ability: Alignment-based harm-or-heal.


My dhampir dirge bard in carrion crown took a one-level dip into sanguine sorcerer. Got the ability to drink blood from the recently dead for 1d6 of healing. 3 + cha bonus times per day.

Eldritch Heritage might give it to you as well. For a dirge bard the other bonueses to necromancy also had synergy.

But still lots of, "you guys go on ahead, I'll be right there..." moments.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Buy an anatomy doll for 1000 gold and attune it to yourself. It sickens you but the negative energy damage will heal you 1 point/round while you twist it. Effectively unlimited out of combat healing for a dhampir. If you get sneak attack it gets better.


Wyvurn wrote:

Buy an anatomy doll for 1000 gold and attune it to yourself. It sickens you but the negative energy damage will heal you 1 point/round while you twist it. Effectively unlimited out of combat healing for a dhampir. If you get sneak attack it gets better.

brilliant.

I am not sure you can forgo the will save, so it might cause problems at higher levels but still a brilliant idea.


I played with a dhampir that hide what he was. So when he dropped I almost killed him off with a potion of cure light wounds.


Werebeagle wrote:

"but one with Negative Energy Affinity, which specifies that it is treated as undead for certain effects. "

The actual text of Negative Energy Affinity states that a Dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead. Positive energy heals it and negative ebergy harms it. The key word here is reacts to. Since it's not a conscious reaction, but an automatic one, the creature will only react to an effect or stimulus that targets it. Therefore to affect a dhampir with an effect of any kind, including channel energy, the cleric needs to target the living. My point stands.

Negative Energy Affinity is a Universal Monster Rule. The standard Negative Energy Affinity dhampir has, according to its Bestiary 2 entry, says:

Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive but is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy, as if it were an undead creature. Format negative energy affinity; Location Defensive Abilities"

It makes no mention of "reacts to" or anything of that nature. The creature simply is affected as if it were an undead creature.

Undead creatures are not harmed by Channel Positive Energy used to heal the living, only be Channel Positive Energy used to harm the undead.

Liberty's Edge

Wyvurn wrote:

Buy an anatomy doll for 1000 gold and attune it to yourself. It sickens you but the negative energy damage will heal you 1 point/round while you twist it. Effectively unlimited out of combat healing for a dhampir. If you get sneak attack it gets better.

This is AWESOME !!!

My Black-blooded Oracle gives you her many thanks. With 2 rogues in her party, she should be able to make good use of this item as emergency healing.

BTW, I am also of the "negative energy to heal undead heals dhampirs" camp. Way I see it, channeling to harm the living would not heal the dhampir, just as it would not heal an undead.


Wolf Munroe wrote:
Werebeagle wrote:

"but one with Negative Energy Affinity, which specifies that it is treated as undead for certain effects. "

The actual text of Negative Energy Affinity states that a Dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead. Positive energy heals it and negative ebergy harms it. The key word here is reacts to. Since it's not a conscious reaction, but an automatic one, the creature will only react to an effect or stimulus that targets it. Therefore to affect a dhampir with an effect of any kind, including channel energy, the cleric needs to target the living. My point stands.

Negative Energy Affinity is a Universal Monster Rule. The standard Negative Energy Affinity dhampir has, according to its Bestiary 2 entry, says:

Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive but is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy, as if it were an undead creature. Format negative energy affinity; Location Defensive Abilities"

It makes no mention of "reacts to" or anything of that nature. The creature simply is affected as if it were an undead creature.

Undead creatures are not harmed by Channel Positive Energy used to heal the living, only be Channel Positive Energy used to harm the undead.

But by Negative Energy Affinity it says the creature is alive aka living so it should be subjected to channeling energy that affects living characters but reacts to said energy like an undead creature positive harms, negative heals


Dread Knight wrote:
Wolf Munroe wrote:
Werebeagle wrote:

"but one with Negative Energy Affinity, which specifies that it is treated as undead for certain effects. "

The actual text of Negative Energy Affinity states that a Dhampir reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead. Positive energy heals it and negative ebergy harms it. The key word here is reacts to. Since it's not a conscious reaction, but an automatic one, the creature will only react to an effect or stimulus that targets it. Therefore to affect a dhampir with an effect of any kind, including channel energy, the cleric needs to target the living. My point stands.

Negative Energy Affinity is a Universal Monster Rule. The standard Negative Energy Affinity dhampir has, according to its Bestiary 2 entry, says:

Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive but is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy, as if it were an undead creature. Format negative energy affinity; Location Defensive Abilities"

It makes no mention of "reacts to" or anything of that nature. The creature simply is affected as if it were an undead creature.

Undead creatures are not harmed by Channel Positive Energy used to heal the living, only be Channel Positive Energy used to harm the undead.

But by Negative Energy Affinity it says the creature is alive aka living so it should be subjected to channeling energy that affects living characters but reacts to said energy like an undead creature positive harms, negative heals

Whether it is alive or not doesn't matter so long as it "is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy, as if it were an undead creature."

For the purposes of the effect it is affected as through it were an undead creature. The bit about it being alive is just to clarify "Hey, it's not actually undead" but the wording clearly spells out that it is healed and harmed "as if it were an undead creature," and undead are not harmed by positive energy used to heal the living, nor healed by negative energy used to harm the living.

So when the cleric channels positive energy, he chooses to channel positive energy to affect the living, and there's a dhampir alive within the radius of the effect. But dhampir are harmed by positive energy as if they're undead creatures, which are not harmed by positive energy used to heal the living, so the dhampir is unharmed.

Likewise a cleric channels negative energy to heal the undead, so he chooses to channel to affect the undead. There's a dhampir alive within the radius of the effect. But dhampir are healed by negative energy as if they're undead creatures, which are healed by negative energy used to heal the undead, so the dhampir is healed.

For the same reason (being treated as if he were an undead creature for the effect's resolution), he would be harmed by positive energy targeting undead, and not affected by negative energy to harm the living.

He's treated as undead for the resolution of the whole effect, since a dhampir responds to the effect "as if it were an undead creature."

If the wording of negative energy affinity just said "The creature is alive but is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy" then you'd be right, he's alive and the channel is determined to affect the living or the undead, so it would affect him as a living creature. However, it specifies "The creature is alive but is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy, as if it were an undead creature." That bit of text affects the entire resolution of the effect.


Out of curiosity WolfMunroe, what date did you buy your Bestiary 2? I've had mine for several years now, and the text is slightly different than what you quoted, and the words "reacts to" definitely appear there, as quoted below:

"Negative Energy Affinity (Ex) The creature is alive, but reacts to positive and negative energy as if it were undead--positive energy harms it, negative energy heals it. Format: negative energy affinity; Location: defensive abilities" (Bestiary 2 p.299) Direct word for word quote. I also looked it up in the Advanced Race Guide, and found those words "reacts to" in their description as well.

This leads me to believe that it is possible this grammar issue may have been altered in subsequent releases of the Bestiary 2 after I bought mine. Possibly Paizo put out an official erratum on this issue, but if so, where would we find it?

Either way, I think we can agree to disagree, and personally I'd go with the good ol' role playing game standby: It's the DM's call how he wants to handle it. Either interpretation could be correct, technically, it's a question of how you understand the sentence, which is ambiguous enough to lend credence to either interpretation.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Isn't there a FAQ that lays this to rest?

Before, I would have gone with a negative channel to harm living, would heal Dhampir.. even though that seems to go against the playtest version of Pathfinder. But I believe the FAQ altered the wording of the Negative Energy Affinity to make them count as Undead for all facets of channeling.

-James


Some people will tell you this is against the the spirit of the game, but if I had this race boon I would either GM baby it to second level or build it as another race until you reach second level and then use the 1st level rebuild rules to apply the boon before playing your first second level game.

Eventually I would probably think about this item pallid crystal


I think there is a feat called breath of life that should work.


Not a bad sale on this necromancy at all...

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Healing A Dhampir All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.