An Odd Question


Rules Questions

Dark Archive

I recently stumbled upon your rant regarding the stacking of Keen and Improved Critical in the days of 3.5 yore: Nyah.

I was curious if your thoughts on this matter extend to Pathfinder, or if you think that things like the Critical Focus feat line, less monsters being immune to crits, etc, have closed the disparity in their own way and, in Pathfinder RPG, these two things are right to not stack.

The thoughts of my fellow gamers are, as always, welcome, but I was particularly hoping to hear what you think on the matter, Mr. Reynolds.

Thank you for your time.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

It is considered in poor taste to call out developers. You may be new, so I am just letting you know. Improved critical and Keen are never going to stack as RAW or RAI.

Shadow Lodge

Seems like a decent and honest question to me? Not a "I'm calling you out come defend yourself, or else" sort of thing.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Beckett wrote:
Seems like a decent and honest question to me? Not a "I'm calling you out come defend yourself, or else" sort of thing.

I think you misunderstand. Asking for a developer, whether by name or not, in your thread title is frowned upon.


However, it is considered excellent taste to create an alternate alias referencing a forum regular in hopes of getting his advice. Am I right, Omnipotent one?

Dark Archive

Thank you Beckett. With all due respect, blackbloodtroll, I see no reason why it would be considered "in poor taste". The developers frequent the boards for a reason, do they not? I have never seen anything indicating that they are averse to responding to direct inquiries, and I am not, in fact new. As Beckett mentioned, I am not trying to "call him out", simply ask if an opinion he obviously held back in the 3.5 days still holds true in Pathfinder.

Oh, and I am very well aware that it is not, and never will be, RAW. The thing about RAI, however, is that different developers can have different ideas as to what was intended. Perhaps Mr. Reynolds felt strongly that the two should stack, but the other developers convinced him otherwise. It is these sort of things I am curious about, and it is simple curiousity that drives me. If Mr. Reynolds has a moment and feels like indulging my curiousity, I shall be grateful. If not, no worries. And if he, or any of the other developers do consider it uncouth to direct inquiries to them directly, they need only say so and I will be sure to hold my tongue in the future.

Grand Lodge

AsmodeusUltima wrote:
I see no reason why it would be considered "in poor taste".

You may not see the reason, but the developers certainly do (and have said as much)...

Gary Teter wrote:
I'm on staff, and I'll comment. I can't answer any rules questions, but I will note that calling out Paizo staff by name in the thread title, or including anything like "FAQ Request" in the thread title, is generally considered bad form and we will edit it out if we see it.

*emphasis mine*

LINK to original thread

Dark Archive

Ah, there we are then. Thank you, Digitalelf, for providing that. I stand corrected and will refrain in the future. As a side note, a guideline such as that probably should be made a bit more, shall we say, visible? I have been on the boards for years and had never run across it. In any event, I will see what I can do about removing the offending title and perhaps see if I might address Mr. Reynolds via his personal website instead.

With that being said, if Mr. Teter or some other employee of Paizo would be so kind as to delete the thread and accept my apologies for both for the social gaffe and the bit of added work, I would be much obliged.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

I am sorry if I offended. The suggestion was really for your benefit.

Dark Archive

No offense taken whatsoever, I assure you. I merely required a bit of evidence for what seemed a rather odd claim, evidence that DigitalElf kindly provided. I thank you, and everyone involved in this thread, for your advice.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

This thread is so polite. It's spooky.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Detect Magic wrote:
This thread is so polite. It's spooky.

Spent too much time on 4chan?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Detect Magic wrote:
This thread is so polite. It's spooky.

While I respectfully disagree with that assessment, I do support your right to hold and voice that opinion.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Oh, and Reginald, I DISAGREE!

Dark Archive

Ah ha ha ha! I am a very firm proponent of politeness at all times, even, or perhaps especially, in areas where it is often lacking, such as online forums. I have lost track of how many seemingly interesting threads I have stopped reading on these very forums because I was disgusted at how they degenerated into nothing more than flame wars. I therefore very much appreciate the decorum that everyone has shown here, and hope that more threads might detect as "spooky". :)

Oh, and blackbloodtroll, thank you for that marvelous quote. Drive-by debate!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I read most of the posts in this thread in a posh quasi british accents


Mr. Reynolds, did you sleep with my sister last night? Answer now please.


Wraithstrike Minion #2 wrote:
However, it is considered excellent taste to create an alternate alias referencing a forum regular in hopes of getting his advice. Am I right, Omnipotent one?

Sorry about the late reply I was out collecting souls. These two abilities should still not stack especially with the critical based feats that add status effects. On top of that crits are supposed to be special, and if you can land them just under 50% of the time they lose their lore.

If anything that consensus of that they should not stack has gotten stronger, not weaker.

edit:The falchion which SKR said in his post falls behind does not hold true. It is ahead early on, and falls slightly behind at later levels without them stacking. High crit range weapons also do the most damage, and allowing them to stack only allows them to pull away from high multiplying crit weapons even more.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Nerdrage Ooze wrote:
Mr. Reynolds, did you sleep with my sister last night? Answer now please.

From what I hear, there was no sleeping involved.


AsmodeusUltima wrote:
The developers frequent the boards for a reason, do they not?

James doesn't reply much in the rules forums. Too many people were impolite about how 'official' or not his statements were. (Shakes fist at sky)

He does, however, frequently stop by the following (amazing) thread:

>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<

(The more devs talk about theory and intent, the better, IMO)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / An Odd Question All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.