NCIS reveals openly gay character.


Television


Agent Dorneget came out to McGee as being gay last night. Granted, he's not a major character, but something tells me he might be around more often.

So, what do you guys think of Dorneget? Would he make an interesting addition to the team?

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

3 people marked this as a favorite.

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I think it's super.

Scarab Sages

Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

I take umbrage at your assertion, pony! I care about NCIS and I'm sane and reason.....

Wait! Crap! Never mind.....


Sebastian wrote:
I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

Actually, I don't really think this is going to set much fighting off at all.


Actually the character was not open about it. He even asked McGee not to say anything about it to the others.
The show is still good. I don't really like the new character because there's one geeky McGee type already. The new guy is good for a cameo every so often, but definately not for a full time spot as a field agent. He belongs on the extra crappy NCIS Los Angeles.

Shadow Lodge

So what?

Sovereign Court

Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

Oh man you made my day with this post. So Tired of the "gibs slap" meme at work uh...

A gay character? I cant remember the last time I saw a show that didn't have one.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

"ENGENDER." Sure, flame the thread with your sexist language.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Listing this under 'Topics That Will Piss Off a Pony'.


Hi5 Xabulba. :D

Sebastian wrote:
But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

Methinks any sane and reasonable entity would not protest so much.

-- Andy


Is NCIS the show with the Suicide Girl/lab geek? Yeah, that's the extent of my knowledge. Okay, fine, yeah I know it's got Mark Harmen too.


loaba wrote:
Is NCIS the show with the Suicide Girl/lab geek? Yeah, that's the extent of my knowledge. Okay, fine, yeah I know it's got Mark Harmen too.

I think it's spelled "Harmon," ...

and it's got a spin-off that has that guy that played Robin in the Batman movies and LL Cool-Jay innit.

That's the limit of my knowledge of the show.

-- Andy

Liberty's Edge

I'm in the category of "meh, don't care." If I want to watch a show about people sleeping with other people, I'll watch porn. I watch ncis to watch about solving crimes.


Mouthy Upstart wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

"ENGENDER." Sure, flame the thread with your sexist language.

Mouthy, love your name. Wish I had thought of it.


Tiny Coffee Golem wrote:
Mouthy Upstart wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

"ENGENDER." Sure, flame the thread with your sexist language.
Mouthy, love your name. Wish I had thought of it.

Not just anyone can do that. It took a gifted Paizo developer.

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

I'm happy this thread went the other direction of, "meh, what's the big deal."

Xabulba wrote:
Listing this under 'Topics That Will Piss Off a Pony'.

Cool. Go create a thread called "DS9 reveals openly african american commander character."


I've seen every episode of NCIS (except the most recent) and I don't even know who that is.

Scarab Sages

And NCIS is actually a spin-off itself. The Mark Harmon character and one other were on JAG.


Not a viewer, but I've gotta say introducing an openly gay character after don't ask don't tell was repealed is one of those moves that I describe as Token Open-Minded. Introducing a closeted gay character while DADT was in effect would have taken some balls, but as is it feels forced.

Take all this with a grain of salt, like I said, I've seen the show maybe twice.


Aberzombie wrote:
And NCIS is actually a spin-off itself. The Mark Harmon character and one other were on JAG.

Didn't know that, but NCIS is pretty much off my radar.

Sebastian wrote:
Go create a thread called "DS9 reveals openly african american commander character."

By the time Ben Cisco took command of Deep Space Nine, humans didn't use the term "American" with any modifiers to identify contemporary persons (Star Trek et al I pay attention to).

In other news, the fictional character "Kathryn Janeway" is a human female.

-- Andy

Dark Archive

I hope this opens the door to accepting gamer characters and look forward to the first openly gamer character.


Sigard Spleenbiter wrote:
I hope this opens the door to accepting gamer characters and look forward to the first openly gamer character.

Yeah, what do you think about that, Sebastian?

<snort>

Dark Archive Bella Sara Charter Superscriber

My indifference at this point in life could not be measured with human instruments.

Liberty's Edge

Meh, what's the big deal. Billy Crystal played an openly gay character on Soap, way back in the Seventies. It's been no big freaking deal pretty much since then.

But, you know, Kelsey must post new threads every three seconds. So, whatever.

Scarab Sages

Hitdice wrote:
Introducing a closeted gay character while DADT was in effect would have taken some balls, but as is it feels forced.

Technically the show has done that, but they usually end up being the victim, the perpetrator, or on once case, both.


They'll do anything for ratings.


NCIS is a kick butt show with some of the most colorful characters around.

Haven't seen the last few seasons due to busyness so haven't seen the episode in question(barely enough time to watch the daily show these days). If they've decided to make the character's struggles with acceptance a plot point I hope they at least fully detail him and make him interesting beyond his sexuality. Kinda tired of the whole "Yeah LGBT folks have a hard time in our society filled with prejudiced dicks" story line every show seems to dip into at least tangentially these days. While true why not add some depth and relevance to the tale actually being told. Like maybe Tony meets the kid and ends up discovering the reason he can't hold on to a relationship with a woman for more than five seconds is because he doesn't actually feel that way towards women. First gay romance as a kick ass action hero trying to solve crimes while you sort through your new perspective and learn what love is? That could lure me back into sacrificing an hour a day for a show.

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Kelsey MacAilbert wrote:

Agent Dorneget came out to McGee as being gay last night. Granted, he's not a major character, but something tells me he might be around more often.

So, what do you guys think of Dorneget? Would he make an interesting addition to the team?

I suspect that they are "testing the waters" so to speak. Depending of audience response, he will either appear more frequently with possible promotion to main cast or disappear entirely.


Sebastian wrote:

I'm happy this thread went the other direction of, "meh, what's the big deal."

Xabulba wrote:
Listing this under 'Topics That Will Piss Off a Pony'.

Cool. Go create a thread called "DS9 reveals openly african american commander character."

Dude that is so "meh, what's the big deal."

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

I didn't think anything of it until I saw this thread, and then it was just vague surprise that it was considered noteworthy.

The NCIS/JAG situation's a bit more "backdoor pilot" than spinoff.


loaba wrote:
Is NCIS the show with the Suicide Girl/lab geek? Yeah, that's the extent of my knowledge. Okay, fine, yeah I know it's got Mark Harmen too.

indeed, this is the extent of my knowledge of the show. I don't even find her that attractive, which is weird to me.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Re Abby, I just find it funny that the actress is playing her degree. There's another show that has that situation, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.

Re Gay characters. I'm still waiting for the first openly left handed character :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

Yes. The only reaction should be who cares?

Focusing on our differences weakens us.


Mouthy Upstart wrote:
Sebastian wrote:

I think this is an excellent example of starting a thread intended to create controversy and engender flamewars.

But, more importantly, no sane and reasonable person should care about the existence of NCIS as a show. Cancellation would be an even better addition to the team.

"ENGENDER." Sure, flame the thread with your sexist language.

I'm so glad someone beat me to that.


houstonderek wrote:

Meh, what's the big deal. Billy Crystal played an openly gay character on Soap, way back in the Seventies. It's been no big freaking deal pretty much since then.

But, you know, Kelsey must post new threads every three seconds. So, whatever.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but man you could be a little *less* insulting.

That's like me saying "But, you know, Derek just HAS to come in to the thread and be rude when he writes all the time, so, whatever." Doesn't do a lot for the climate to just chuck hostility about.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
nathan blackmer wrote:
I'm not saying I don't agree with you, but man you could be a little *less* insulting.

You must not know Derek very well, as this statement is scientifically wrong.


Matthew Morris wrote:
Re Gay characters. I'm still waiting for the first openly left handed character :P

Here you go. They seem to be following the "Show, don't tell" mantra. But then again, I've been barred from the Left-Handers' Agenda Meetings for repeatedly forgetting to bring the donuts when it was my turn, so I'm not current on all their current plans to undermine America.


I read Lone Wolf and Cub when Dark Horse came out with the new-original-format version; about a third of the way through the story (thousands of pages) I noticed that all the swordsmen were left-handed.

I snapped to alert! Is there a higher incidence of left-handedness in East Asia? Have I discovered some hitherto unknown quirk of handedness?

No, jackass, they just reversed the artwork, cause in Japan they read from the other side of the book; I felt so smart for like a page and a half...

Silver Crusade

I'd rather watch something with some substance and wonder. CIS sucks sparrow eggs and howls at the moon, there's nothing there to really inspire me.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / NCIS reveals openly gay character. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Television
Batwoman
Rick and Morty