A plea to Scenario Writers


Pathfinder Society

51 to 100 of 111 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
2/5

Mourne wrote:
The problem with that is that at the low tiers, the player is only getting ~500 gold a scenario. Sure, it would be nifty to have an 8000 gp item on the tier 1-2 loot list, but it would take forever to just buy it.

You don't do that, you give them items that are just slightly out of their reach. Like a +2 belt of giant strength (4000g). They might not be able to get it right away, but they will be able to get it at 3rd level, whereas before they'd have to wait until 4th level or beyond (depending on their PA).

Mark Moreland wrote:
That's all well and good for a dragon bane weapon, but what if it's a +1 human bane longsword in the hands of the BBEG?

Partially build it into the CR of the encounter? There are workarounds to everything.

Mark Moreland wrote:
Can you cite an example of this in the last two seasons?

All of the consistencies belong to differences between season 0/1 and seasons 2/3, I didn't know there was a systematic change.

1300 gold Frostfur Captives
1309 gold MotT Mermaid

1810 Citadel of Flame
1867 Delirium's Tangle
1895 The Darkest Vengeance
1540 Decline of Glory
1889 Mists of Mwangi (updated)

Why was there a systematic change btw? The difference is huge.

4/5

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
Jason S wrote:
It would also prevent the inconsistencies between the scenarios, where the reward for subtier 4-5 can vary from 1300 gold to 1900 gold for no reason at all. << Pet peeve.
Can you cite an example of this in the last two seasons? We have a set target wealth for each subtier that authors are not allowed to go below. They have only a 5% margin to overshoot the target. I cannot recall a single scenario we've released since I have been developer on the line that broke this design parameter.

I have played a number of scenarios at tier 6-7

One had a reward of ~2000 gp (a season 0 - but really annoyingly low) compared to the

~4000 and ~5200gp rewards of the other scenarios I played at that tier.

In essence I feel like as a player I was penalized ~3000gp for playing at a high tier in an older scenario - possibly meaning I'll be a bit behind the magic item curve as I enter higher level play (This character is already a bit gp light because other scenarios he played through were also fairly stingy with the gp rewards)

(I don't have the scenarios in front of me at the moment but the high gp rewards were i think season 3 scenarios)

2/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Besides the benefit of having an item on a chronicle, there's also the thrill of finding really cool loot or fun consumables that you wouldn't otherwise buy. For example, wondrous items that you get to try, but you'd never buy. Or scrolls with spells you don't usually use. These can add a lot of fun to the game.


Jason S wrote:
Besides the benefit of having an item on a chronicle, there's also the thrill of finding really cool loot or fun consumables that you wouldn't otherwise buy. For example, wondrous items that you get to try, but you'd never buy. Or scrolls with spells you don't usually use. These can add a lot of fun to the game.

Yes, but you have to use them during the scenario, otherwise they disappear into the gold that you're rewarded and you have to buy them.

I just don't see the use of putting anything on a sheet that I can't already get for myself through money or money and level appropriate prestige.

Sovereign Court

Let me raise the idea (again) of items on the Chronicles being sold at a discount.

I kinda' feel like a Shadow Lodge sympathizer here, but the Pathfinder Society works kind of like a big pyramid scheme. I go out and risk my neck for the Society and recover a treasure, say a +2 sword worth 8,000 gp. I turn it in to the Lodge and get 4,000 gp for my troubles. Now let's say a few days later I want to buy me a +2 sword, like the one I turned in... 8,000 gp, no different than if I went to Jack the Magic Sword Vendor down in the market. What's the benefit to me, a grunt-level Pathfinder, for being in the Society? Absolutely nothing. Where's the loyalty of the Deciumverate for all my hard work? So they sit up there in their tower pocketing a 50% profit on all loot collected and sold right back to us shlubs getting stabbed, swallowed whole and electrocuted, all for the "greater good." My arse.

So I'm going on strike, or at least I'm going on boycott. Until the Society knocks off 20% from the price of the loot THAT I MYSELF RECOVER, I ain't buyin' nothin' from the Society giftshop. Jack the Magic Sword Vendor is gettin' all my business from now on. He accepts my coin without ever sending me on damn fool missions that nearly get me killed!

Dark Archive 3/5

Fugencio do Burno wrote:

Let me raise the idea (again) of items on the Chronicles being sold at a discount.

I kinda' feel like a Shadow Lodge sympathizer here, but the Pathfinder Society works kind of like a big pyramid scheme. I go out and risk my neck for the Society and recover a treasure, say a +2 sword worth 8,000 gp. I turn it in to the Lodge and get 4,000 gp for my troubles. Now let's say a few days later I want to buy me a +2 sword, like the one I turned in... 8,000 gp, no different than if I went to Jack the Magic Sword Vendor down in the market. What's the benefit to me, a grunt-level Pathfinder, for being in the Society? Absolutely nothing. Where's the loyalty of the Deciumverate for all my hard work? So they sit up there in their tower pocketing a 50% profit on all loot collected and sold right back to us shlubs getting stabbed, swallowed whole and electrocuted, all for the "greater good." My arse.

So I'm going on strike, or at least I'm going on boycott. Until the Society knocks off 20% from the price of the loot THAT I MYSELF RECOVER, I ain't buyin' nothin' from the Society giftshop. Jack the Magic Sword Vendor is gettin' all my business from now on. He accepts my coin without ever sending me on damn fool missions that nearly get me killed!

I'm gonna have to +1. Some sort of discount for the items on the Chronicle sheet would be really nice and actually make them meaningful outside of non-standard consumables or module unique items (like the Padma Blossom out of Cult of the Ebon Destroyer).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
bdk86 wrote:
Some sort of discount for the items on the Chronicle sheet would be really nice and actually make them meaningful

Now this is something I could really get behind. Like 10% less than list price for the items listed on chronicle sheets.


If you offer the items as broken, you can justify the discount.

Repairing them then becomes a small investment, but you still wind up paying less than full value in the end.

The Exchange 5/5

isn't there a faction Vanity that let's a PC buy one item at a 10% discount each AR? a discount on listed items wouldn't impact this greatly, as the Vanity lets you buy ANY ONE item each AR, not just the items on the AR.

Grand Lodge 4/5

nosig wrote:
isn't there a faction Vanity that let's a PC buy one item at a 10% discount each AR? a discount on listed items wouldn't impact this greatly, as the Vanity lets you buy ANY ONE item each AR, not just the items on the AR.

I believe that vanity is faction specific though. And costs prestige every time you do it.

The Exchange 5/5

AH! found it. in Qadira

Master of Trade (Fame 20, 4 PP) Using faction contacts
and mercantile experience, you can always get yourself
the best deal when buying goods. Once per game session,
you may make any single purchase you could normally
make at a 10% discount. This discount is not available on
spellcasting services or material components.

looks like for 4PP you get to use it once per game session.

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/5 Venture-Captain aka TwilightKnight

Fugencio do Burno wrote:
What's the benefit to me, a grunt-level Pathfinder, for being in the Society? Absolutely nothing

That's not true. You have Fame/prestige Points that can equate to 10's of thousands worth of items and services over the course of the character's career and they are essentially free. And that's in addition to all the travel expenses they pick up to get us where we need to go. Saying you get nothing from the society is really unfair, you are actually compensated quite well.


Bob Jonquet wrote:
That's not true. You have Fame/prestige Points that can equate to 10's of thousands worth of items and services over the course of the character's career and they are essentially free.

Just for starters: the ability to get, for free, a fully-charged wand of Cure Light Wounds, often after completing just one mission for the Society. Pretty important boon for squishy first- and second-level characters, no?


I think I'm in the minority, as I normally only buy whats on the chronicle sheets. I like working within the limitations (aside from certain potions, scrolls, +1 weapons/armor, and cure wands bought with PP).

I especially love the weird items, like the map of the mountains of Kho, or there was a book that gave a bonus on knowledge checks vs Devils.

My very favorite are the boons the are available (yay, endure elements cold).

That all being said, +1 to the idea of a small discount on chronicle sheet items.

Shadow Lodge

In home games the incentive to keep items is largely due to the fact that items are sold at 50% of value, a found item 'costs' half as much as a bought one. For example in a home game, if a character 'finds' a +1 aberrant bane longsword the cost to keep it is the ~4,150 gold he would get for selling the sword. In PFS the cost to keep it is ~8,300 gold. Offering a discount would similarly encourage PFS players to keep found items.

The problem is, I don't see this bringing more interesting items onto chronicles, it would just discount common items. For example, the +1 cloak of resistance and the +1 ring of protection are so common everyone would wind up getting them at the discounted price.

Maybe offering a few features items per chronicle at a discount?

Liberty's Edge

Cainus wrote:

I think I'm in the minority, as I normally only buy whats on the chronicle sheets. I like working within the limitations (aside from certain potions, scrolls, +1 weapons/armor, and cure wands bought with PP).

In the Minority? Dude, you aren't "in a minority"; you are a full-blown endangered species. So much so, you should strongly consider changing your avatar to that of a Spotted Owl!

Not dissing as I think your approach is admirable; however, it most certainly is NOT assumed by the default design presumptions in PFS. The higher level you are, the worse those presumptions will work against you.


Robert Trifts wrote:
Cainus wrote:

I think I'm in the minority, as I normally only buy whats on the chronicle sheets. I like working within the limitations (aside from certain potions, scrolls, +1 weapons/armor, and cure wands bought with PP).

In the Minority? Dude, you aren't "in a minority"; you are a full-blown endangered species. So much so, you should strongly consider changing your avatar to that of a Spotted Owl!

Not dissing as I think your approach is admirable; however, it most certainly is NOT assumed by the default design presumptions in PFS. The higher level you are, the worse those presumptions will work against you.

It was the only way I could see to make the majority of the chronicle sheets matter (which I suppose is the point of this thread). If that's all you're buying then even the common stuff is useful.

Of course my primary character (a 5th lvl Barbarian) only has 3 magic items (a cure wand bought with PP, a unique item he'll probably never use, and a cloak of resistance) so it hasn't really come up. I'm saving up for the +2 Flaming Burst greataxe that some people will probably recognize. A purchase that would become much easier with some kind of discount for items on chronicle sheets.


Robert Trifts wrote:
Cainus wrote:

I think I'm in the minority, as I normally only buy whats on the chronicle sheets. I like working within the limitations (aside from certain potions, scrolls, +1 weapons/armor, and cure wands bought with PP).

In the Minority? Dude, you aren't "in a minority"; you are a full-blown endangered species. So much so, you should strongly consider changing your avatar to that of a Spotted Owl!

Not dissing as I think your approach is admirable; however, it most certainly is NOT assumed by the default design presumptions in PFS. The higher level you are, the worse those presumptions will work against you.

To be fair, I think lots of people would love to do this if there were more incentive (or less disincentive) to it (e.g. if there were better items available and/or if chronicles didn't become mostly obsolete due to fame levels).


1 person marked this as a favorite.

What about disconnecting the items on the chronicle from the items found/used by NPCs during the scenario? Pros/Cons?


Kyle Baird wrote:
What about disconnecting the items on the chronicle from the items found/used by NPCs during the scenario? Pros/Cons?

That would be... odd... in my opinion. Seems like the chronicle ought to reflect items "available" in the scenario by virtue of being in the hands/backpacks/gullets (possession) of the NPC foes in it.

But then, I have a small issue with expendables that get expended still showing up in the chronicle. Not game-breaking, and it doesn't irk me as much as sand in my shorts, but it seems -- dare I use the word? -- unrealistic.

Every now and again, something showing up on the chronicle that wasn't part of some NPC encounter (or trap/map encounter, whatever) wouldn't be a big issue. Just seems a little more random than we already are.

The Exchange 5/5

I can recall an LG mod where the adventure starts with the PCs in a hole, just having dug up an old chest filled with magic items. All of which were on the Cert. LOL! I can still remember looking around at the other players and saying something like "we are so scr$%^&d" and one of them saying "yeah, if we need all this just to survive - what the heck are we gonna be fighting?".

Liberty's Edge 4/5

Alitan wrote:
Kyle Baird wrote:
What about disconnecting the items on the chronicle from the items found/used by NPCs during the scenario? Pros/Cons?

That would be... odd... in my opinion. Seems like the chronicle ought to reflect items "available" in the scenario by virtue of being in the hands/backpacks/gullets (possession) of the NPC foes in it.

But then, I have a small issue with expendables that get expended still showing up in the chronicle. Not game-breaking, and it doesn't irk me as much as sand in my shorts, but it seems -- dare I use the word? -- unrealistic.

Every now and again, something showing up on the chronicle that wasn't part of some NPC encounter (or trap/map encounter, whatever) wouldn't be a big issue. Just seems a little more random than we already are.

Not necessarily odd, it could be justified as "appropriate rewards" for te team who successfully completed the scenario, so only available if you actually successfully complete the Pathfinder mission.

And I could see it stay, mainly, as items found, but with a small set of semi-iconic items being offered as "rewards".

By a small set, I would just think a batch of items, which would each appeal, mainly, to a different character class set, like a partially charged higher CL Arcane wand, the same in a Divine wand, a small special material weapon or armor/shield, maybe a small batch of masterwork/special material or enhanced ammunition, etc.

As an example, how many archers would wish to get, say, just a couple of adamantine arrows, rather than having to buy a batch of 20 of them?


Callarek wrote:
As an example, how many archers would wish to get, say, just a couple of adamantine arrows, rather than having to buy a batch of 20 of them?

Adamantine Weapon Blanch is much more cost effective for arrows, but I agree with your point.


Don't leave out slingers! A few adamantine bullets would rock. (Better with Locate Object to retrieve missed shots...)

Dark Archive 3/5

Wraithcannon wrote:

If you offer the items as broken, you can justify the discount.

Repairing them then becomes a small investment, but you still wind up paying less than full value in the end.

I disagree with this because any spell caster with Mending as a cantrip/orison then saves oodles of class thanks to a small and usually negligible class feature.

Further, unless I broke the item in module, there is no reasonable explanation for why it's broken in the first place. The Decimvirate selling the stuff we find back to us at a profit is bad enough; that the 'discount' comes when they smash the sword in two before letting us buy it is justification enough for us all to start wearing "Grandmaster Torch Was Right" t-shirts.

(Can we GET some "Grandmaster Torch Was Right" t-shirts?)

Dark Archive 3/5

Wraithcannon wrote:
Callarek wrote:
As an example, how many archers would wish to get, say, just a couple of adamantine arrows, rather than having to buy a batch of 20 of them?
Adamantine Weapon Blanch is much more cost effective for arrows, but I agree with your point.

Adamantine Weapon Blanch is also completely impractical to use in the moment when that Golem comes smashing through the wall to kill the party...

...also, Adamantine Ammunition pricing is done "per missile", which I thought implied you could already buy them in single units vs in bundles?

Grand Lodge 4/5 5/55/5 Venture-Captain aka TwilightKnight

bdk86 wrote:
The Decimvirate selling the stuff we find back to us at a profit is bad enough

This assumes of course that the society is the one buying/selling all your stuff. If is reasonable to assume that they would direct you to a local merchant who happens to be sympathetic to the society. But he still has to earn a living so there is no inherent discount in place.

You can also look at the treasure just represents the chronicle gold reward as an abstract that just helps explain from where the number is based.

5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

I was under the impression that this is how it works:

In PFS the magic item mart only stocks basic items (always available list)

As your fame grows, your faction is more willing to put in the effort to find you the items you want. (Fame purchasing rules)

The Pathfinder society wants items of historical significance. Instead of paying you a salary for your missions the deal is that they buy everything you find at the going rate for adventurer items (50%). They will also sell you a brand new functional identical copy of anything you have recovered at the going rate (Market Price) (Items on Chronicle Sheet). [This encourages Pathfinders to find new things. There are of course members, especially the Shadow Lodge, that think the Society should be much more forthcoming in its item access)

While it's inconvenient for a Pathfinder when they find an item that they want, the backing of the society (including: information gathering/ Pathfinder Lodges / paid travel / guaranteed market for everything) generally makes it well worth it for most Pathfinders.

Bob:
I seem to be on a roll of disagreeing with everything Bob says at the moment. Does that mean he's my arch enemy?!? :Þ

Shadow Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—San Francisco Bay Area South & West aka JohnF

bdk86 wrote:
Can we GET some "Grandmaster Torch Was Right" t-shirts?

I'm sure Cafe Press (amongst other places) would be only too happy to make them for you.

I might even be interested in buying one or two ...

Liberty's Edge 4/5

bdk86 wrote:
Wraithcannon wrote:
Callarek wrote:
As an example, how many archers would wish to get, say, just a couple of adamantine arrows, rather than having to buy a batch of 20 of them?
Adamantine Weapon Blanch is much more cost effective for arrows, but I agree with your point.

Adamantine Weapon Blanch is also completely impractical to use in the moment when that Golem comes smashing through the wall to kill the party...

...also, Adamantine Ammunition pricing is done "per missile", which I thought implied you could already buy them in single units vs in bundles?

+1 on Sundering/Hardness.

And you have to buy non-magical ammunition in basic blocks of X, where X is the standard ammunition amount.
Arrows = 20
Sling bullets = 10
Crossbow bolts = 10
Gun bullets = 1?

For magical ammunition, it is in sets of 50 pieces. Note that the cost of the enhancement is normal, so, for example, 50x +1 arrows costs:
2.5 gp 50 arrows
300 gp masterwork
2000 gp +1 enhancement
Total 2302.5 gp, 46 gp 5 cp apiece.

The Exchange 5/5

Callarek wrote:
bdk86 wrote:
Wraithcannon wrote:
Callarek wrote:
As an example, how many archers would wish to get, say, just a couple of adamantine arrows, rather than having to buy a batch of 20 of them?
Adamantine Weapon Blanch is much more cost effective for arrows, but I agree with your point.

Adamantine Weapon Blanch is also completely impractical to use in the moment when that Golem comes smashing through the wall to kill the party...

...also, Adamantine Ammunition pricing is done "per missile", which I thought implied you could already buy them in single units vs in bundles?

+1 on Sundering/Hardness.

And you have to buy non-magical ammunition in basic blocks of X, where X is the standard ammunition amount.
Arrows = 20
Sling bullets = 10
Crossbow bolts = 10
Gun bullets = 1?

For magical ammunition, it is in sets of 50 pieces. Note that the cost of the enhancement is normal, so, for example, 50x +1 arrows costs:
2.5 gp 50 arrows
300 gp masterwork
2000 gp +1 enhancement
Total 2302.5 gp, 46 gp 5 cp apiece.

I beleave that the cost of ammunition made of special materials is listed by individual piece (single arrows or sling bullets.)

This would mean alchemical silver arrows cost +2 gp per arrow.

Some people feel that the cost listed (+2 gp) is for a "basic block" (20 arrows, 10 bolts or bullets) which would make Alchemical silver ammunition a lot cheaper than Alchemical weapon blanch...

Shadow Lodge

Mark Moreland wrote:
Jason S wrote:
It would also prevent the inconsistencies between the scenarios, where the reward for subtier 4-5 can vary from 1300 gold to 1900 gold for no reason at all. << Pet peeve.
Can you cite an example of this in the last two seasons? We have a set target wealth for each subtier that authors are not allowed to go below. They have only a 5% margin to overshoot the target. I cannot recall a single scenario we've released since I have been developer on the line that broke this design parameter.

(3-01) Frostfur Captives @ 1300

(3-09) Quest for Perfection 1 @ 1895

I don't know the exact maths of the encounters, so maybe this is legit. Someone with more experience can probably analyse it a bit further as to how the difference here is so significant.

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

I am offering my mea culpa for Frostfur Captives.

Last night I broke out my turnover and I reviewed the rewards for subtier 4-5.

It took me a second to see what happened, but then it struck me what the deal was. Mark generously gives us a lot of support documents to aid us in developing adventures. (He really does all he can to set you up to succeed.) One of those documents has a chart with the treasure levels for Tiers and subtiers. Basically when I read the chart, my eyes didn't track the rows going from left to right, and the gold value I used was from an adjacent row (subtier 3-4, for the next highest leve tier.. so its the lowest reward for the next highest bracket). I'm positive this is what occurred because I'm with 1 gp of that other subtiers reward value.

I apologize for the error and the inconvenience, the fault is mine. I'll triple check that in the future.

2/5

We forgive you Jim, write more awesome scenarios!

I guess the real problem is that several subtier 4-5 scenarios in seasons 2-3 are giving 1300 gold, whereas they're supposed to be granting 1800 gold (according to Jim's sheet). So what's the correct value? Only Mark knows...

Anyway, back to my original point, I just wish that amount was consistent. So if a mistake is made, we actually know it's a mistake (and can correct it).

Paizo Employee Director of Brand Strategy

1,800 is the target value for subtier 4–5. I have changed the wealth tracking spreadsheet recently to preclude the error Jim (and I, during development, apparently) made on that particular scenario. In the end, over the course of a PC's career, the wealth discrepancy of 500 gp (or even 1,000 if it happened to the same PC twice) is well within the standard deviation for the assumed wealth of a given PC.

Liberty's Edge

Mark Moreland wrote:
1,800 is the target value for subtier 4–5. I have changed the wealth tracking spreadsheet recently to preclude the error Jim (and I, during development, apparently) made on that particular scenario. In the end, over the course of a PC's career, the wealth discrepancy of 500 gp (or even 1,000 if it happened to the same PC twice) is well within the standard deviation for the assumed wealth of a given PC.

Was there ever an official answer to this issue as it relates to #3-01: The Frostfur Captives?

The Chronicle lists subtier 1-2 gold and subtier 3-4 gold.. since it is a tier 1-5 scenario.. obviously this isn't right. 3-4 should be 4-5.. but is the gold attached to that subtier also wrong? I am about to issue this chronicle for a subtier 4-5 game and I'm wondering what I should do, it seems like no matter what it won't be 'right'.

Silver Crusade 5/5 5/55/5 Venture-Captain, Germany—Bavaria

1 person marked this as a favorite.

A separate thread cover this issue would have been an alternative that would not force people to read two pages of mostly unrelated posts.


Now that Core Campaign is a thing, it would be good to see even mundane equipment that is not listed in the Core Rule Book appearing on chronicles, including masterwork versions of weapons and armor that are not in the Core Rule Book.

Not too much mind you so as not to turn the Core Campaign into a Regular Campaign, but things like swarmbane clasps and weapon blanches would be nice.

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Starfinder Superscriber

And a JOURNAL

The Exchange

This thread was interesting, took my a while to realize it wasn't recent, once I saw Mark though it clicked immediately.

I will say, I love unique chronicle items, especially weapons.

Rant about a Certain Arm found in Emerald Spire floor 1:

Why can't this be enhanced magically! Its so frustrating, it states its a masterwork club for all intents and purposes, let me be a 12th level barbarian going through Eyes with Clanky's Arm, it started with Clanky and it's gonna end with Clanky!

Silver Crusade 4/5 5/55/55/5 RPG Superstar 2013 Top 8

Blackfoot wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
1,800 is the target value for subtier 4–5. I have changed the wealth tracking spreadsheet recently to preclude the error Jim (and I, during development, apparently) made on that particular scenario. In the end, over the course of a PC's career, the wealth discrepancy of 500 gp (or even 1,000 if it happened to the same PC twice) is well within the standard deviation for the assumed wealth of a given PC.

Was there ever an official answer to this issue as it relates to #3-01: The Frostfur Captives?

The Chronicle lists subtier 1-2 gold and subtier 3-4 gold.. since it is a tier 1-5 scenario.. obviously this isn't right. 3-4 should be 4-5.. but is the gold attached to that subtier also wrong? I am about to issue this chronicle for a subtier 4-5 game and I'm wondering what I should do, it seems like no matter what it won't be 'right'.

The gold for the 4-5 subtier of The Frostfur Captives seems to be about 500gp less than average for the 4-5 subtier.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Codanous wrote:

This thread was interesting, took my a while to realize it wasn't recent, once I saw Mark though it clicked immediately.

I will say, I love unique chronicle items, especially weapons.

** spoiler omitted **

This. A thousand times this. And what's with the restriction on not being able to upgrade named magic items, anyway? If I've dumped the cash on a Flametongue, is Golarion going to implode if I, GASP!, spend the gold to make it +2?

Oh noooooooes! My Paladin has a +2 flame burst longsword that once a day casts Scorching Ray instead of a +1. Drendle Dreng weeps a single tear at its overpoweredness.

1/5 5/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
RoshVagari wrote:


This. A thousand times this. And what's with the restriction on not being able to upgrade named magic items, anyway? If I've dumped the cash on a Flametongue, is Golarion going to implode if I, GASP!, spend the gold to make it +2?

Oh noooooooes! My Paladin has a +2 flame burst longsword that once a day casts Scorching Ray instead of a +1. Drendle Dreng weeps a single tear at its overpoweredness.

Named items follow a different path for improvement (usually house-ruled) if memory serves.

As a result, my guess is that the amount of time and effort spent to try and come up with a good fair system is beyond the parameters of the campaign?

The Exchange 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Kentucky—Lexington

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm also on the boat of:

  • Don't list items that can be bought with expected fame of the tiers.
  • Don't list always available items.
  • Do list unique items like "map of Texas"
  • Do list conditions.
  • If you list fame purchase able items, note in bold the ones that are unique, restricted, banned, or above expected fame.

  • Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

    James Risner wrote:
  • If you list fame purchase able items, note in bold the ones that are unique, restricted, banned, or above expected fame.
  • I like this. Little effort, significant gain.

    Sovereign Court

    James Risner wrote:
  • Don't list always available items.
  • I agree here, but only always available items in the Core rulebook. With Core mode now being a thing, Always Available items from other sources have reason to be on chronicles.

    Grand Lodge 2/5

    Andrew L Klein wrote:
    James Risner wrote:
  • Don't list always available items.
  • I agree here, but only always available items in the Core rulebook. With Core mode now being a thing, Always Available items from other sources have reason to be on chronicles.

    But they didn't for the first ~6 years so why that never happened within that time frame (i.e. before Core) is mind boggling.

    2/5

    Pathfinder Lost Omens, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

    It would be cool if you got a 5% discount to things found on the chronicle sheet or something , in order to encourage using what is on the sheet.

    51 to 100 of 111 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / A plea to Scenario Writers All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.