Table Traditions


Gamer Life General Discussion


We started a new tradition at our table not too long ago. Whenever we have a character death, we burn the character sheet and have a mock funeral (last night, we burned 5 character sheets as I TPK'd the group with a Phase Spider).

What sorts of odd or amusing traditions do you have at your table?

...Catch Phrase,

-Chris

Grand Lodge

Players must assist in disposal of any corpses before going home... no fair leaving the host to do all the work.


Last one to show up to our game is designated Pop B!?€#--or the politically correct designation "beverage coordinator". It's usually a great motivator for players to be punctual. Obviously, the DM is exempt.

Contributor

Before starting a session, we roll 2d20 for something thematically appropriate. The first d20 is the quantity of the item, the second the quality.

My last session of Savage Tide I rolled for 20 booty of 15 quality.

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

It's been awhile, but I used to hand out an "Invisible Dead Turtle Award" to the player who rolled the most or best critical fumbles.

The name of the award came from the ICE Middle Earth Role Playing game's critical miss table. One of the entries indicated you'd tripped over "an invisible dead turtle" and impaled yourself with your own weapon.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Bad pun tax, 25 cents per infraction. Funds go to buying pizza or dessert.


The constant badgering and browbeating of one player by another (the same two guys). It's just not a game without that.

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber

This is more of a running gag than an actual tradition, brought on by a terminally late GM;

GM has up 15 minutes past the designated starting time to show up. For every minute past that time, each player present accumulates 50xp. Still haven't gotten that xp, though . . .


Stockvillain wrote:

This is more of a running gag than an actual tradition, brought on by a terminally late GM;

GM has up 15 minutes past the designated starting time to show up. For every minute past that time, each player present accumulates 50xp. Still haven't gotten that xp, though . . .

We've thought of doing the exact same thing!

Lantern Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber
DungeonmasterCal wrote:
Stockvillain wrote:

This is more of a running gag than an actual tradition, brought on by a terminally late GM;

GM has up 15 minutes past the designated starting time to show up. For every minute past that time, each player present accumulates 50xp. Still haven't gotten that xp, though . . .

We've thought of doing the exact same thing!

Yeah, we even start sending him reminder texts / phone calls about 20-30 minutes before the game [aside from coordinating over Facebook], and . . . well . . . you know how some people are just *always* late. Heck, we've got another player [nobody lets him run games anymore] that is so late that we tell him a different start time from everyone else; usually 1 - 2 whole HOURS. Still he manages to barely get there in time.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Velcro Zipper wrote:

snip...

The name of the award came from the ICE Middle Earth Role Playing game's critical miss table. One of the entries indicated you'd tripped over "an invisible dead turtle" and impaled yourself with your own weapon.

I thought it was 'trip over an imaginary dead turtle and pull your groin [bad rules here], foe is stunned 3 rounds laughing.'

I could be wrong, but those crit tables were good reading, even if you never got to them. :-)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Stockvillain wrote:

This is more of a running gag than an actual tradition, brought on by a terminally late GM;

GM has up 15 minutes past the designated starting time to show up. For every minute past that time, each player present accumulates 50xp. Still haven't gotten that xp, though . . .

I was in a group that went a bit further than this. The GM was late and we waited for him to show up for a couple hours before he finally walked through the door only to say he couldn't stay. From that point on, we decided he owed us an entire level for every session he called off. I think we gained three levels before he caught on.

Draconic Mage wrote:
I thought it was 'trip over an imaginary dead turtle and pull your groin [bad rules here], foe is stunned 3 rounds laughing.'

That could have been it too. I know ICE put out two or three Crit Fumble tables in different books and they all used something about a dead turtle. "Invisible Dead Turtle" just really sticks in my head as being the way I saw it written. Either way, that's what I called the award. I even made up a little print-out award to go with it using 8-bit sprites from Final Fantasy showing a Black Mage falling on his own dagger or blowing himself up.

EDIT - Turns out, we're both right, kind of. Somebody actually posted the fumble table the turtle appears on (or doesn't appear on as the case may be.)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

There is always, always, ALWAYS a tavern called "The Grassy Gnoll".

Where is it located, you ask?

Spoiler:
Back, and to the left...

Sovereign Court

Whenever we kill a BBEG or one of his named minions we pin the picture up on my gaming room wall. We also write "DEAD" in bold red marker across the picture. I have dozens up there now!


We often use candy for the baddies, and you have to eat what you kill.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tinalles wrote:
We often use candy for the baddies, and you have to eat what you kill.

We often use this for minions. One of our players seems to have an unending supply of M&M's.

...Catch Phrase,

-Chris

Liberty's Edge

GM Lilith wrote:
Bad pun tax, 25 cents per infraction. Funds go to buying pizza or dessert.

My god... if we did that at my games I'd go broke! lol.


Stockvillain wrote:
Heck, we've got another player [nobody lets him run games anymore] that is so late that we tell him a different start time from everyone else; usually 1 - 2 whole HOURS. Still he manages to barely get there in time.

LOL..did you game with my group in the mid 80s, by chance? LOL.... we did the exact same thing with one of our players.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Pan wrote:
Whenever we kill a BBEG or one of his named minions we pin the picture up on my gaming room wall. We also write "DEAD" in bold red marker across the picture. I have dozens up there now!

That's interesting. We do that with player characters. They get put up on the dead wall for all to see. When we were playing Call of Cthulhu, quite a few ended up there because of an incident with dynamite.

Sovereign Court

Bill Dunn wrote:
Pan wrote:
Whenever we kill a BBEG or one of his named minions we pin the picture up on my gaming room wall. We also write "DEAD" in bold red marker across the picture. I have dozens up there now!
That's interesting. We do that with player characters. They get put up on the dead wall for all to see. When we were playing Call of Cthulhu, quite a few ended up there because of an incident with dynamite.

Oh man after just a few of our Cthulhu games my basement would be wallpapered in dead PC sheets :)


Gonn wrote:
GM Lilith wrote:
Bad pun tax, 25 cents per infraction. Funds go to buying pizza or dessert.
My god... if we did that at my games I'd go broke! lol.

Note that it's only for bad puns...


Whenever a character does something so incredibly stupid that it results in his death, we have the "Marvin" awards. A gnome wizard suddenly appears at the person's place of death, and congratulates the person (now a corpse) on proving his scientific theory right! He then hammers a spike into the character's corpse, and hangs the plaque award from it. Charley Marvin's Theory of Stupidity Culls Stupid Evolution. In short.... "Stupid people die doing stupid things".

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / General Discussion / Table Traditions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion