Fascism Alive and Well in 2012


Off-Topic Discussions

551 to 600 of 788 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

Ich bin ein Amerikaner, aber meine Vorfahren sind vom Vaterland. Ich nehme großen Stolz in meinem englischen, irischen und französischen Blut, aber Hälfte meiner Genealogie ist deutsch.


Oui, je me souviens que votre francais n'est pas mal!
Parlez-vous aussi le gaélique irlandais?


Kirth Gersen wrote:
RedPorcupine wrote:
Ich bin im " Großen Apfel" geboren;).
Ha! Ich bin in Würzburg geboren, aber jetzt in Texas leben.

Ich wusste nicht dieses. Ich dachte, dass Sie amerikanisch waren.


Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Ich dachte, dass Sie amerikanisch waren.

Aber ja, Ich bin -- we moved when I was very small. I've (obviously) forgotten almost all of my German -- all I can do is count and cuss now!


Bon, je dois avouer que mon allemand est quelque peu rouillé. En fait, j'ai tellement peu pratiqué que j'ai bien peur d'avoir presque tout perdu.


Mais, votre francais est formidable!


¿Atrás al sujeto -- aquí habla cualquiera español?


Kirth Gersen wrote:

Oui, je me souviens que votre francais n'est pas mal!

Parlez-vous aussi le gaélique irlandais?

Je comprends un peu de français, allemand, et Espagnol, mais moi ne peut pas parler sans traducteurs Internet. Sans lui, je pourrais seulement attacher quelques mots dans une mauvaise phrase.


CunningMongoose wrote:
Bon, je dois avouer que mon allemand est quelque peu rouillé. En fait, j'ai tellement peu pratiqué que j'ai bien peur d'avoir presque tout perdu.

Mein ist schlechter. Ohne Übersetzer würde ich nicht verstanden.


Kirth Gersen wrote:
¿Atrás al sujeto -- aquí habla cualquiera español?

Solamente un poco. Puedo hablar solamente sin ayuda en inglés.


Aretas wrote:

In my learned opinion the US should have stayed out of both conflicts. In addition to that I believe we bombed the wrong combatants in both conflicts.

I just have to ask: Why ? What do you mean by " learned " ? I happen to know some people who were personally and professionally involved, so i´m fascinated.

I have always suspected that the U.S. weren´t as gung-ho as usual for Yugoslavia, because there wasn´t anything to gain. No oil, or as Bismark put it : The balcan is not worth the bones of a single pommeranian grenadier. A legitimate opinion. For Bismark.
But the wrong combatants ? While the croatians propably had nationalist militias that would have richly deserved a bombing and the UCK maybe were a nasty bunch of partly or mostly criminals, you seem to suggest that the Bosnians should have been bombed ? As far as i know the Bosnians were primarily busy being besieged in Sarajevo by serbian mortars and snipers.
Or the Kosovo-Albanians who faced a ethnic-cleansing ?


Smarnil le couard wrote:
Aretas wrote:
Irontruth wrote:

Which of these things was more likely to have contributed to the other:

1979 Hostage Crisis

1953 Coup

Are you implying that Eisenhower could see into the future and was trying to establish control over Iran in an attempt to prevent the hostage crisis?

It feels to me like your brand of "exceptionalism" means that there are no consequences to our actions. That those people over there would hate us regardless of what has happened in the past.

Has Iran acted like jerks? Yes.
We have also acted like jerks.

I bet if we hadn't supported a coup in their country, then armed their neighbor with chemical weapons, they wouldn't be nearly so angry at us right now. How would you feel about Canada if they had assassinated one of our presidents and then gave Mexico material support as they did cross border raids into Texas? Would you turn the other cheek, or demand retribution?

Remember, this isn't blaming America. This is being realistic. If we kill someone, their family is probably going to be pissed. If your solution is then to just kill the whole family, then I would say you hate freedom, because that is a dictators answer to the problem.

American exceptionalism is the fact that people from all over the world can come here, work hard, have the freedom to do what they wish. There are few places on Earth that offer people the same chances for advancement, the U.S. is number one on that list.

Okay, let's resume our discussion about US exceptionalism. So, according to you, a second defining criteria would be that "people from all over the world can come (t)here, work hard, have the freedom to do what they wish".

As in Canada. As in most if not all European Union countries. As in Australia. Again, where is the qualitative difference ?

Aretas wrote:

Regarding American foreign policy. I'm a "realpolitik" in a way. I understand the United States are not a bunch of boy scouts.

American foreign policy is engineered for our national
...

The request was made so we could discuss topics without outside interruptions.

I knew that I would get slapped about the American exceptionalism comment so hope you all can see that people are coming to America as a destination for a better life.
An estimated 12.6 million legal permanent residents are living in the US as of 1/1/10.
8.1 million of those were eligible to naturalize. How can you compare that to any other country and say what your saying? It's all on the DHS website. This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.

Smarnil, you called me a neocon which I am not offended bc it's coming from you. You should not label people. I'm still waiting for you logic with regards to US intervention in the Balkans and your criticism or perhaps contempt of US foreign policy.


Kirth Gersen wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Ich dachte, dass Sie amerikanisch waren.
Aber ja, Ich bin -- we moved when I was very small. I've (obviously) forgotten almost all of my German -- all I can do is count and cuss now!

Ich war in Kalifornien geboren. Beide meine Großmütter sind vom deutschen Blut und mein Vatervater war irisch.

Ich kann Deutsches innen schwören, aber ich bevorzuge Spanischen. Sie haben gutes, Wörter zu schwören.


Wieviele Leute denken Sie werden gereizt, das wir Sprechensachen sind, die, sie nicht verstehen können?


Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.

Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Aretas wrote:

American exceptionalism is the fact that people from all over the world can come here, work hard, have the freedom to do what they wish. There are few places on Earth that offer people the same chances for advancement, the U.S. is number one on that list.

How do you square this with the fact that if you look at GDP compared to hours worked, France, Germany and the US are all pretty close together. Then you add in that in the US, median income has stayed relatively flat, while there it has grown.

The Economic Mobility Project has gathered some pretty convincing data that shows we are not the best example of the "American Dream" anymore. There are in fact several nations in the world that provide people with better opportunities than us for advancement. That organization works with both liberal and conservative institutions.


Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).

And those who are working with false ids or whatnot are getting income and FICA taxes withheld. (And there are plenty of citizens working under the table too)

And they're all paying sales and other taxes.


Why are we all speaking crazy talk?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aretas wrote:

I knew that I would get slapped about the American exceptionalism comment so hope you all can see that people are coming to America as a destination for a better life.

An estimated 12.6 million legal permanent residents are living in the US as of 1/1/10.
8.1 million of those were eligible to naturalize. How can you compare that to any other country and say what your saying? It's all on the DHS website. This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.

According to wikipedia, Canada has the highest per capita net immigration rate in the world.

The US has more absolute numbers, but that's because it's a bigger country with more room.

Certainly a lot of people want to come here for a better life. The US is a far better place to live than much of the 3rd world, but that's not saying much.


Freehold DM wrote:
Why are we all speaking crazy talk?

No sé. El hilo iba loco por ninguna razón.


Kirth Gersen wrote:
Mais, votre francais est formidable!

Comme c'est ma langue natale, ça n'est pas très surprenant.

But, I still wish I had a better knack to learn other languages. It took me a three years immersion and a lot of reading (roplaying books got me started) to get my english at an acceptable skill level.

And, still, I have an awfull french-canadian accent when speaking it, and have a lot of difficulties following fast speakers using some kind of slang or another.

Texan english is a very good example of that, so much I often ask myself if it is still english or if it (d)evolved into it's own language. ;-)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:
Certainly a lot of people want to come here for a better life. The US is a far better place to live than much of the 3rd world, but that's not saying much.

I would gladly move to Boston, if I could afford it. What a beautifull city! ;-)


Plus a billion. I would love to live in New England.


CunningMongoose wrote:
It took me a three years immersion and a lot of reading (roplaying books got me started) to get my english at an acceptable skill level.

Vous êtes Québécois? Quel dommage!

Seriously, though, you write in far better English than any number of the native Americans here.

CunningMongoose wrote:
Texan english is a very good example of that, so much I often ask myself if it is still english or if it (d)evolved into it's own language. ;-)

Hey, man, don't be messin' with the way REAL men talk! I'll be fixin' to put a pop-knot on yer head big enough to hitch a horse to!


Grau ist alle theorie und eben grun ist der liebensbaum.

I may have mangled it, but at least I mangled Goethe.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Comrade Anklebiter wrote:

Grau ist alle theorie und eben grun ist der liebensbaum.

I may have mangled it, but at least I mangled Goethe.

Ein Kommunist! Zu Armen, Kameraden!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Man, this is bullshiznit! I came here to do some revolutionary internationalist trolling, but you guys are all sitting around singing cumbaya!

This sucks.


Freehold DM wrote:
Why are we all speaking crazy talk?

Because Esperanto failed :(


Burgomeister of Troll Town wrote:

Man, this is bullshiznit! I came here to do some revolutionary internationalist trolling, but you guys are all sitting around singing cumbaya!

This sucks.

Ich singe cumbaya über den Ruinen Ihrer besiegten Armee, kommunistisch!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kirth Gersen wrote:
CunningMongoose wrote:
Texan english is a very good example of that, so much I often ask myself if it is still english or if it (d)evolved into it's own language. ;-)
Hey, man, don't be messin' with the way REAL men talk! I'll be fixin' to put a pop-knot on yer head big enough to hitch a horse to!

Oh, poppycock and, if I may say, balderdash. Real men don't need a phallic penis substitute in hand to make them real men. A stiff upper lip and a strong commanding voice is all that's needed to run an Empire, as, I think you'll find, we proved. Texas indeed.

Oh, and dashed good show to Mr Mongoose for overcoming your lamentable birthright and endeavouring to learn the world's greatest language and culture, even if you wish to travel to its inferior replica as opposed to the original and greatest explonent.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
thejeff wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).

And those who are working with false ids or whatnot are getting income and FICA taxes withheld. (And there are plenty of citizens working under the table too)

And they're all paying sales and other taxes.

Having worked in restaurants for a while now, I'll tell you, every undocumented worker (british ones included, true story) i've known has gotten a pay check which had payroll all taxes deducted. None, of course, reported their income to the IRS and received the returns.


Hitdice wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).

And those who are working with false ids or whatnot are getting income and FICA taxes withheld. (And there are plenty of citizens working under the table too)

And they're all paying sales and other taxes.
Having worked in restaurants for a while now, I'll tell you, every undocumented worker (british ones included, true story) i've known has gotten a pay check which had payroll all taxes deducted. None, of course, reported their income to the IRS and received the returns.

Precisely. Regardless of how you feel about illegal immigration, the fact of the matter is that they are not taking advantage of the welfare or medical services.


Burgomeister of Troll Town wrote:


This sucks.

Is doch toll. VÖLKERFREUNDSCHAFT, Mann. Miesepeter.

PS: Nice quote, Comrade. Pretty close, too;).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kirth Gersen wrote:
Seriously, though, you write in far better English than any number of the native Americans here.

Hey Kirth, why do you hate Native Americans? :P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Camila Marina Garrido Espinosa wrote:
Hitdice wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).

And those who are working with false ids or whatnot are getting income and FICA taxes withheld. (And there are plenty of citizens working under the table too)

And they're all paying sales and other taxes.
Having worked in restaurants for a while now, I'll tell you, every undocumented worker (british ones included, true story) i've known has gotten a pay check which had payroll all taxes deducted. None, of course, reported their income to the IRS and received the returns.
Precisely. Regardless of how you feel about illegal immigration, the fact of the matter is that they are not taking advantage of the welfare or medical services.

Word. They are desperately trying to stay OFF the government radar.


I don't actually speak German--or anything other than English.

As the old joke goes: three languages--trilingual; two languages--bilingual; one language--American.


thunderspirit wrote:
Camila Marina Garrido Espinosa wrote:
Hitdice wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).

And those who are working with false ids or whatnot are getting income and FICA taxes withheld. (And there are plenty of citizens working under the table too)

And they're all paying sales and other taxes.
Having worked in restaurants for a while now, I'll tell you, every undocumented worker (british ones included, true story) i've known has gotten a pay check which had payroll all taxes deducted. None, of course, reported their income to the IRS and received the returns.
Precisely. Regardless of how you feel about illegal immigration, the fact of the matter is that they are not taking advantage of the welfare or medical services.
Word. They are desperately trying to stay OFF the government radar.

Yes. It's almost as if they didn't want the government to know where they are...


I also love the "leeching free medical care" argument cause, y'know, that's the problem. it's not that the medical insurance industry exists only to put another bill between you and treatment, it's that the US doesn't need a single-payer system cause there's so much free medical care just lying around!


Hitdice wrote:
I also love the "leeching free medical care" argument cause, y'know, that's the problem. it's not that the medical insurance industry exists only to put another bill between you and treatment, it's that the US doesn't need a single-payer system cause there's so much free medical care just lying around!

+50 Billion. I'd love to hear more about this so called free healthcare.


RedPorcupine wrote:
Burgomeister of Troll Town wrote:


This sucks.

Is doch toll. VÖLKERFREUNDSCHAFT, Mann. Miesepeter.

PS: Nice quote, Comrade. Pretty close, too;).

I was also inspired, Comrade Porcupine, by your above post to look up "Weltschmerz' (sp?). I've suffered from that since I was 16!


Really Doodle? You seem more like a schadenfreude type goblin to me... Oh! Sorry, didn't realize that was a mirror.


Kirth Gersen wrote:
Vous êtes Québécois? Quel dommage!

Why, is that a bad thing?

Captain Brittannica wrote:
Oh, and dashed good show to Mr Mongoose for overcoming your lamentable birthright and endeavouring to learn the world's greatest language and culture, even if you wish to travel to its inferior replica as opposed to the original and greatest explonent.

Yeah, we already know that line from a compatriot or yours. Lord Durham.

But still, I'm a big Dr. Who fan.


CunningMongoose wrote:
Why, is that a bad thing?

Most people would say "YES!!!" -- but I have a grandmother from Trois-Rivières or someplace like that, so I guess I'm not one to talk!

CunningMongoose wrote:
But still, I'm a big Dr. Who fan.

Zut alors -- it gets worse and worse ;P


CunningMongoose wrote:
thejeff wrote:
Certainly a lot of people want to come here for a better life. The US is a far better place to live than much of the 3rd world, but that's not saying much.
I would gladly move to Boston, if I could afford it. What a beautifull city! ;-)

And I'd move to Canada, if only for your healthcare. :)

Though Boston is really nice. I don't like cities, but I like Boston.


Yes, Boston is the bestest.


Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Why are we all speaking crazy talk?
No sé. El hilo iba loco por ninguna razón.

No sé. El hilo iba loco sin ninguna razón.

or

No sé. El hilo iba loco por alguna razón.

:P


Nicos wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Freehold DM wrote:
Why are we all speaking crazy talk?
No sé. El hilo iba loco por ninguna razón.

No sé. El hilo iba loco sin ninguna razón.

or

No sé. El hilo iba loco por alguna razón.

:P

Fascista.

:P


Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).

Seriously? You could go on public assistance, be in America illegally and have a child at no charge of your own. You could find the proof you need by looking it up or asking anyone in the healthcare industry or an E.R staffer.


Aretas wrote:
Zoe Oakeshott wrote:
Aretas wrote:
This is NOT counting all the illegal immigration who we the tax payers provide free healthcare and wellfare services for.
Is there any proof of this statement? My understanding is that the last thing an illegal immigrant wants to do is deal with the government, and that most of the ones trying to get money actually grew up in the US (the whole college tuition thing).
Seriously? You could go on public assistance, be in America illegally and have a child at no charge of your own. You could find the proof you need by looking it up or asking anyone in the healthcare industry or an E.R staffer.

Post some evidence. I doubt this claim very, very highly.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
CunningMongoose wrote:


But, I still wish I had a better knack to learn other languages. It took me a three years immersion and a lot of reading (roplaying books got me started) to get my english at an acceptable skill level.

In my case I learned to read english thanks to the supernintendo RPGs, and now I am practicing my writing skills in paizo forum :P

I supose that i can tell my mother that the longs hours of leisure playing Rpgs are not wasted time :P

551 to 600 of 788 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Fascism Alive and Well in 2012 All Messageboards