Please, pretty please forbid jumping


Pathfinder Online

51 to 100 of 115 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Sissyl wrote:

Jumping everywhere is healthy and fun. If you don't like people jumping, then you are most obviously a no fun person. Those people annoy me, so we really need a stamina bar to prevent people from being no fun for too long.

I wish we could also have midair stops while jumping to wait for one's next turn.

Seriously, if you don't want people to jump everywhere, make it 1% slower than moving without jumping. That would be quite enough.

I agree with the making it slower.


Jumping is fun. It's also a good way to get someone's attention!

"Selling displacer beast hides outside Daggerford town hall!"

There's 50 people outside the town hall...oh it's the guy jumping up and down...or maybe 49 people are jumping up and down, but the guy not jumping is the one.

Also, jumping will make it worth playing a monk. I think everyone will make a monk alt just for Leap of the Clouds, jumping across rooftops and over alleyways. (If it were a feature, of course).


I remember how I and my friend were walking through the Market Square and went from normal walk to very jumpy run. That was fun, if a bit exhausting. Eh, to be 25 again, beautiful age, beautiful times :(


NyxShiArammu wrote:
KaeYoss wrote:
increddibelly wrote:
Please make it not possible to jump.

You sound like a crappy FPS server. :P

"NO JUMPING"
"NO VEHICLE C4"
"NO CLEANING YOUR GENITALS IN THE KITCHEN SINK"
"NO COITUS IN THE SPAWN AREAS"

Here in Australia it is customary to jump a lot because dropbears have problems trying to catch people who are jumping. I'm sorry if my survival mechanism offends you.

Dropbears killed my uncle for not jumping so this is no joking matter.

Sorry to hear about your uncle, But most of the wildlife in Australia can kill you.

Drop Bears can get nasty, check this article by Australiangeographic
dropbears


i have no issue with jumping. and if you do make a stamina bar for jumping, climbing, swimming, tumbling, flying. make your stamina bar at least scale with your constitution score (or equivalent score)


Just make jumping a minor offense in town so if a player jumps too much in city, the guards would try to arrest you for a day of jail or two. A party can have a jumper luring the guards while the others go on doing sinful activities against the settlement.. sounds fun.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

People can jump, it is part of human movement. Suck it up! I hate games where I cannot jump. Penalise any other type of movement, since jumping, for example, is as valid as crawling or running.

This thread is as insane as the one on small races in RPGs.

/rant


Bunny hopping annoys me too. Having a Stamina drain when jumping solves the problem neatly.

Goblin Squad Member

Actions which should drain stamina:

Jumping (Should take a significant chunk, possibly consuming the entire bar while in plate armor. Potentially impossible to jump in the heaviest armors, or perhaps only to a limited height, depending on strength.)

Swimming (Should drain at a rate approximately half that of running, but increase in drain speed very rapidly with added armor.)

Climbing (Should drain at a rate approximately equal to running, but drain more quickly with heavier armors. Running out of stamina while climbing should cause you to fall.)

Quickly Crawling (Should drain at a rate roughly equal to climbing, but not increase drain speed due to armor as much.)

Running (Should drain at a rate based on total armor and encumbrance, draining dramatically faster while under 50%.)

Tumbling (Should take approximately as much stamina as Jumping, with a short movement debuff upon completing the roll. Heavier armors should increase the amount of stamina consumed, up to and including using the entire bar.)

Stealth (It's hard to move slowly and softly. The smallest stamina drain of them all, with the least extra drain due to armor weight.)

Jumping drains stamina, and also applies a short 50% movement debuff unless it is a running jump. If it is a running jump or a jump from a height you may tumble, which will negate the debuff in the latter case. (Or perhaps more accurately, it will end before you've exited the roll.)

I would also propose that stamina should regenerate more slowly based on how low you took it. If you drain it to nothing, it should take perhaps 10 seconds to get back to 10%, another 9 seconds to reach 20%, 8 to hit 30%, 6 to hit 40%, 5 to hit 50%, 4 to hit 60%, 3 to hit 70%, 2 to hit 80%, 1 to hit 90%, and .5 seconds to go from 90% to 100% stamina.

A system that follows these basic concepts would, I believe, seriously reduced the number of people jumping their happy asses off.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

FYI, this thread is 18 months old.

Goblin Squad Member

Nihimon wrote:
FYI, this thread is 18 months old.

I want no Elves..... or did I miss that train?


Nihimon wrote:
FYI, this thread is 18 months old.

Woohoo! We discovered time travel, quick set the dial for 1990, we've got a TON of Microsoft shares to buy!! :P

Goblin Squad Member

Nihimon wrote:
FYI, this thread is 18 months old.

I've noticed the internet archaeologists unearthing a couple of old threads recently.

Goblin Squad Member

Nothing wrong with bringing old threads back, but I think it's best to point it out so people aren't responding to year-old comments without realizing it.

Goblin Squad Member

Wow, we have been here a long time Nihimon...

...to wonder what else could have been accomplished...

Goblin Squad Member

KitNyx wrote:
Wow, we have been here a long time Nihimon...

Indeed :)

Goblin Squad Member

I have dredged up a couple, but they had only one post from the original poster. No apologies.

Jumping got a bad rep in Elder Scrolls (and maybe sooner) when the constant jumping gained skill in Athleticism. It does look absurd, and burning stamina of endurance is a fine way to handle it. But it should, of course, be a viable movement. As long as it is implemented with a pleasing aesthetic, it will be cool.

Goblin Squad Member

Do I remember that in at least one game, optimum PVP strategy "forced" players to jump?


I'm one of the guys you guys hate. I like to jump for no reason. It gives me something to do while waiting or chatting to someone.

In addition, I find jumping up and down for no reason can sometimes convey a subtle feeling of friendliness or innocence. Maybe that's just my personal impression, though.

Goblin Squad Member

I do jumping jacks in the office while waiting for meetings to get over, especially when those talking are repeating themselves for the umpteenth time... As long as jumping takes stamina, it should remain. If someone wants to hop around like a meth'd up kangaroo on a pogo stick at the expense of actually travelling anywhere, or doing anything useful in combat, I say go for it.

Goblin Squad Member

I'm fairly certain jumping will burn action points, as will running in circles. So that lane PvP tactic that everyone used in World of Warcrap will not be effective in PFO.

Jumping does need to be in the game for interaction with the environment. This is my main hope, I want places were you have to jump to or climb to.

Scarab Sages Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not particularly good at them, but the jumping puzzles in Guild Wars 2 are pretty neat. I also like the idea of "secret" nooks and crannies that can only be reached by jumping, climbing, crawling, etc. (I put secret in quotes because nothing in an MMO remains truly secret for very long. After the first few people find it, someone will inevitably post a YouTube video guide to reaching it.)

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Newsflash.

The next beta of Pathfinder Online will feature bleeding feet graphics for all those characters who are nailed to the ground by default.

For a special in app purchase though, you can get a claw hammer to have those nails removed. This will allow characters to jump, and elves and halflings to front flip.


LazarX wrote:

Newsflash.

The next beta of Pathfinder Online will feature bleeding feet graphics for all those characters who are nailed to the ground by default.

For a special in app purchase though, you can get a claw hammer to have those nails removed. This will allow characters to jump, and elves and halflings to front flip.

Will the dwarves and gnomes be able to roll on the ground as well?

Scarab Sages Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

No. Dwarves are built like Weebles. They wobble but they don't fall down. They even sleep standing up.

Gnomes are just strange. Nobody knows why they don't (or can't) roll.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Drejk wrote:
LazarX wrote:

Newsflash.

The next beta of Pathfinder Online will feature bleeding feet graphics for all those characters who are nailed to the ground by default.

For a special in app purchase though, you can get a claw hammer to have those nails removed. This will allow characters to jump, and elves and halflings to front flip.

Will the dwarves and gnomes be able to roll on the ground as well?

No, but un-nailing their feet will allow them to be punted or tossed as appropriate, by their betters.

Scarab Sages Goblin Squad Member

LazarX wrote:
Drejk wrote:
LazarX wrote:

Newsflash.

The next beta of Pathfinder Online will feature bleeding feet graphics for all those characters who are nailed to the ground by default.

For a special in app purchase though, you can get a claw hammer to have those nails removed. This will allow characters to jump, and elves and halflings to front flip.

Will the dwarves and gnomes be able to roll on the ground as well?
No, but un-nailing their feet will allow them to be punted or tossed as appropriate, by their betters.

Oi! these dwarven feet will be puntin the sandstone betwitx yer legs over me mountian home if ye don't keep yer mouth shut.

Grand Lodge Goblin Squad Member

First, you say it's immersion breaking having people jump all the time. Well, it's immersion breaking for me to not be able to jump. I'm sorry, there is a small rock in the way, you have to go around it.

Play the original Guild Wars for a while and tell me how much fun it is to not be able to jump over small objects, ledges, short gaps and the like. Its a world where nobody ever learned how to Jump.

Thank Goodness they didn't make that mistake in Guild Wars 2, and in fact Embraced jumping by adding Jumping Puzzles.

I'm ok with some kind of Endurance meter for physical exertion. Here is one way to implement it.

Every action (jumping, running, fighting, spell casting even walking.) adds to an exhaustion meter. Once this passes some point physical exertion becomes more difficult. You can't Jump as high, run as fast, swing as fast or even cast spells as quickly. Some actions may even become impossible after you gain too much exhaustion.

Over time, the exhaustion reduces and you regain the ability to function normally.

Skills and or Stats could effect things like how much exhaustion you gain for a related action, how soon exhaustion effects those actions and how severely they are effected.

There are, of course, many other possible methods to implement some limit that would keep people from jumping non-stop, but disallowing jumping entirely should never happen.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I have the same concern for running in a circle, while running, and attacking at same time.

Fortunately, GW has thought of this and will have movement count against action points and fatigue.

Goblin Squad Member

Bluddwolf wrote:

I have the same concern for running in a circle, while running, and attacking at same time.

Fortunately, GW has thought of this and will have movement count against action points and fatigue.

Has this been confirmed somewhere?

Goblin Squad Member

Dario wrote:
Bluddwolf wrote:

I have the same concern for running in a circle, while running, and attacking at same time.

Fortunately, GW has thought of this and will have movement count against action points and fatigue.

Has this been confirmed somewhere?

Not that I have seen, but it makes good sense and I have been watching for it hopefully.

Goblin Squad Member

Being wrote:
Dario wrote:
Bluddwolf wrote:

I have the same concern for running in a circle, while running, and attacking at same time.

Fortunately, GW has thought of this and will have movement count against action points and fatigue.

Has this been confirmed somewhere?
Not that I have seen, but it makes good sense and I have been watching for it hopefully.

I agree, I think it's a good solution. I just want to make sure that we're not attributing things to GW that they haven't actually confirmed. I've seen a couple of ideas on the forums snowball from "It'd be great if X" to "They'll probably X" to "X will be in PFO" without any comment by GW. =P


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pale wrote:

Why ban something because children have ADD? Or even waste the resources to put in a special "jumping endurance meter" for that matter?

It's silly.

Just grow a thicker skin and ignore it.

+1 Natural Armor would do the trick.

Goblin Squad Member

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dario wrote:
Being wrote:
Dario wrote:
Bluddwolf wrote:

I have the same concern for running in a circle, while running, and attacking at same time.

Fortunately, GW has thought of this and will have movement count against action points and fatigue.

Has this been confirmed somewhere?
Not that I have seen, but it makes good sense and I have been watching for it hopefully.
I agree, I think it's a good solution. I just want to make sure that we're not attributing things to GW that they haven't actually confirmed. I've seen a couple of ideas on the forums snowball from "It'd be great if X" to "They'll probably X" to "X will be in PFO" without any comment by GW. =P

In the Dev Blog: Three Headed Hydra, there is mention of two things....

1. Switching weapons will use action points (1-2) of your 6 for each round.

2. Running and some other activities will apply a debuff. It was a bit unclear if that applies to the runner, the target or both.

In general the blog mentions "positioning" in combat as an activity that will burn stamina. I take positioning to include movement, and that is the same as it is in TT PFRPG.

But, perhaps additional clarification is needed. I read through the entire blog and all of Dev responses, and this is what I gleaned from it.

Goblin Squad Member

I can't find either of those comments in Three Headed Hydra. Were they in the blog or the thread for the blog?

Goblin Squad Member

Dario wrote:
I can't find either of those comments in Three Headed Hydra. Were they in the blog or the thread for the blog?

Thread of the Blog, Lee's posts mostly, but Ryan had a few as well.

Goblin Squad Member

Ah, that's why I couldn't find it. Thanks =P


Pale mentioned children with ADD. I feel I should mention I have ADHD, which is half the reason I partake in the pointless jumping myself. So...fair enough, Pale. >_>


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I enjoy constantly jumping in MMO's and want to see it included.

Goblin Squad Member

Ok I'm late to the party, but I thought this issue was already resolved in a most straightforward and logical way, already?

1. Encumbrance = The more you carry over a limit the slower you can move and the less frequent you can jump.
2. Stamina = Jumping uses stamina: Over do it and you can jump less.
3. Work Done = Force x Distance moved ie running uphill with x encumbrance surely and y jumping you will tire/deplete your stamina sooner??

What about those suggestions?

Goblin Squad Member

I think stamina depletion will resolve the issues with jumping and incessantly running, and also add quite a bit of flavor to how PCs are played.

Scarab Sages Goblin Squad Member

Part of the reason I like monks so much is the fact that they can run very fast and leap great distances. If half of this is not implemented, That makes me a sad panda.

Let stamina and Attacks of Opportunity be the gate that controls jumping and running in circles while in combat, but please let there be an option to use them.

Liberty's Edge Goblin Squad Member

My two coppers is this: restricting jumping is just plain silly. I realize in most MMO's it is used a lot because, for some strange reason, it is faster than running. I see no reason why GW would make it so, except in the case of Monks, as Imbicatus notes.

So, in response to the OP, I plan to hop around on my first day in EE like a Chinese Vampire ;)

Goblin Squad Member

Imbicatus wrote:

Part of the reason I like monks so much is the fact that they can run very fast and leap great distances. If half of this is not implemented, That makes me a sad panda.

Let stamina and Attacks of Opportunity be the gate that controls jumping and running in circles while in combat, but please let there be an option to use them.

You will have the opportunity to run and jump all you like. It is just, in combat, it will be at the explense of other actions and or your stamina.

Outside of combat, you are really not doing anything else with your action round, other than moving. If Monks have any movement enhancing feats, then I'd guess they would apply.

You can perhaps jump from tree branch to tree branch, over hundreds of yards, ala "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" to your heart's content. At least I hope you can, altough it will strike me being a bit like City of Heroes with Super Jumping!

Scarab Sages Goblin Squad Member

Bluddwolf wrote:
Imbicatus wrote:

Part of the reason I like monks so much is the fact that they can run very fast and leap great distances. If half of this is not implemented, That makes me a sad panda.

Let stamina and Attacks of Opportunity be the gate that controls jumping and running in circles while in combat, but please let there be an option to use them.

You will have the opportunity to run and jump all you like. It is just, in combat, it will be at the explense of other actions and or your stamina.

Outside of combat, you are really not doing anything else with your action round, other than moving. If Monks have any movement enhancing feats, then I'd guess they would apply.

You can perhaps jump from tree branch to tree branch, over hundreds of yards, ala "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" to your heart's content. At least I hope you can, altough it will strike me being a bit like City of Heroes with Super Jumping!

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I am all for combat movement having stamina cost for running and for jumping. There should be options for combining movement with attacks though. The PnP rules have options for manuevers and feats like charging, bull rushes, repositioning, and spring attacks. It would be nice if something similar is in PFO.

Outside of combat, there are ways to jump very long distances via monk training or magic items. However the maximum distance for any jump can never exceed you normal movement rate, so there is not a speed issue for jumping vs running, but it does let you get from point a to point be without worrying about bad terrain. Depending on the height of a wall, you may also be able to jump over it, which could be great for getting skirmishers behind enemy lines in a war

Goblin Squad Member

increddibelly wrote:

[rant apology='sincere']

If there's one thing I hate - truly passionately hate - about Multiplayer games, it is the constant jumping of player characters. Please make it not possible to jump.
If you refuse, then pretty please make it impossible to jump in a city.
Or, have the guards drag the jumping git to the local healer's shop, have them examined, have them pay deerly for the healer's services, and sent on their merry way.
If you refuse even that, pretty please with sugar on top, mercilessly banhammer those morons who cannot refrain from sharing their chronic case of Jumping Git with civilised people.

[/rant]

I will never understand players who demand that other players play their way. It's stupid. Play however you like, but dont try to limit my play style, whatever that may be.

If I want to solo, then let me.
If I want to jump, then let me.
If I want to PVP, then let me. (with others who also want to PvP)
If I want to Only PVE, then friggin' let me.

Goblin Squad Member

-Markus- wrote:
If I want to Only PVE, then friggin' let me.

That's the rub. If you're going to play "PVE", then you need PvE Content, and that requires developer resources. PFO is a budget MMO that has publicly declared their intent to focus on developing systems that allow the players to interact with each other, rather than spending resources on lots of PvE Content.

Goblin Squad Member

@-Markus-

What the OP means is along the lines of immersion/RP of characters in a world, which Raph Koster talks about:



[b]Enforcing roleplaying[b]
A roleplay-mandated world is essentially going to have to be a fascist state. Whether or not this accords with your goals in making such a world is a decision you yourself will have to make.

It' analogous to "code of conduct in other games/sports" eg the "spirit of the game". It's well intentioned. I mean if you watch a story in a film, you don't see people hopping about like lunatics; it would break your suspension of disbelief. ;)

Goblin Squad Member

Nihimon wrote:
PFO is a budget MMO that has publicly declared their intent to focus on developing systems that allow the players to interact with each other, rather than spending resources on lots of PvE Content.

If not a significant amount of PvE content then what is escalation?

Goblin Squad Member

Essentially 'automated' is what I think it is, rather than built as a set-piece encounter. If my suppositions are close to right, certain hexes have a tendency to produce NPC beasts. Leave it alone long enough and it will reach a 'critical mass' and the beasts will begin to migrate en masse. If they reach the 'migration state' I suspect the tier of beast spawning in that hex might increment and the cycle renews.

The migrating horde then would behave anti-player, possibly modified by alignment.

So there is reason for a settlement to reward players who interrupt or eliminate the escalation hex (so that the settlement does not suffer from a goblin/hobgoblin/bugbear/.../hill giant/dragon/extraplanar incursion.

Relatively simple compared to twelve hundred fetch and kill quests since it can be one process or routine coded and then called by various specific and unbuildable hexes. Then they let it run automated on an escalation cycle timer.

51 to 100 of 115 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Digital Games / Pathfinder Online / Please, pretty please forbid jumping All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.