An open letter to James Jacobs, Greg A. Vaughn, Jason Nelson, and Richard Pett


Jade Regent


12 people marked this as a favorite.

You win.

From the first time I heard about "Jade Regent," I had no desire to play it, run, it, buy, it, or have anything to do with it. I don't give a hoot about Asian settings or tropes. I couldn't care less about samurai, ninjas, oni, or tea services. I'd rather have an adventure set ANYWHERE else on Golarion than in Tian Xia. But heck, I thought, it's only one AP. Money is tight and I could use the disposable income somewhere else, but I won't cancel my AP subscription for one AP I have no interest in.

So, the players guide comes out and I read through it and the rules for caravans and relationships seem very, very cool, and the quality of the guide knocks my socks off. So what? think I, it's not like I'll ever play the AP. Maybe I can adapt the relationship rules though.

Then "The Brinewall Legacy" comes and, after sitting unread a couple of weeks, I pick it up and flip through it when I'm on the can. Hey...this is a pretty cool adventure. Very well written, very clever, intriguing, and exciting. Too bad it kicks off an AP I have no interest in.

"Night of Frozen Shadows" arrives a couple weeks later and I read it. Dang, that's some good stuff. I mean GOOD stuff. I just wish it was part of an AP I wanted anything to do with.

Then comes "The Hungry Storm," and I read it and then reread it and think, "Oh man, this is awesome! It just sucks that it's part of this AP, because I'd love to run this."

And then "Forest of Spirits." I read it, my mind racing with how cool it is and how exciting and how much I'd love to run it and how much fun my players would have going through it --

And then I realize, of course, that I love this AP. It's amazing, amazing stuff. I want desperately to run it, and will do when my current Kingmaker game ends. You win. James, Greg, Jason, Richard, you win. You with your remorseless commitment to quality, your excellent writing, and your enthusiasm for the subject matter. I went from dead set against wanting the any association with what I was sure would be completely uninvolving (for me) to panting with eagerness for the next book to come out. I surrender.

Now fork over the last two installments and nobody gets hurt. ;-)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

Well, sheesh...it's not like Tito and I will feel any pressure now. :-P

If this AP goes belly up, it'll be totally on us! :-D

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Wow! Thanks for the kind words! And I'm glad you gave Jade Regent a chance.

Which, in the end, is all I ask. Folks are free to hate or love anything we do, but I just hope you do so after you check things out. Since just as you might find something unexpectedly not for you, you might also find something unexpectedly awesome for you.

We try really REALLY hard to do more of the latter.

So again, thanks for checking the adventures out, and I'm glad you're enjoying them!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber
Neil Spicer wrote:

Well, sheesh...it's not like Tito and I will feel any pressure now. :-P

If this AP goes belly up, it'll be totally on us! :-D

We know you guys will do great as well. And if not there is this stack of torches over here........

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Gregg Helmberger wrote:

You win..........

You win. James, Greg, Jason, Richard, you win. You with your remorseless commitment to quality, your excellent writing, and your enthusiasm for the subject matter. I went from dead set against wanting the any association with what I was sure...

And who says you can't win at rpgs? :)


That's exactly why I'm keeping my AP subscription through Shackles & Skulls (or is it vice versa) even though I have no interest in the pirate campaign. Even though it's not my thing, I know the quality will be worth reading. I might never run it (or play in it) but I have no doubt that there will be things I'll want to borrow or adapt.

Quality breeds loyalty.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber
Gregg Helmberger wrote:

You win.

...
So, the players guide comes out and I read through it and the rules for caravans and relationships seem very, very cool, and the quality of the guide knocks my socks off. So what? think I, it's not like I'll ever play the AP. Maybe I can adapt the relationship rules though.
...

That is kind of my story too, much to the annoyance (I assume they never let it on) of the customer service department, I actually cancelled my AP subscription at the end of Carrion Crown. Then the players guide came out and I was like "OMG" and resubscribed. So now I have the Jade Regent APs stacking up, I've skimmed the Bestiary but I'm keeping them sealed in case I'm a player and not the DM, but I'm pretty excited about them.

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:
Neil Spicer wrote:

Well, sheesh...it's not like Tito and I will feel any pressure now. :-P

If this AP goes belly up, it'll be totally on us! :-D

We know you guys will do great as well. And if not there is this stack of torches over here........

I've been saving the extra torches the peasants of Lepidstadt left behind in Trial of the Beast, just in case I need them.

Frog God Games

Neil Spicer wrote:
Well, sheesh...it's not like Tito and I will feel any pressure now. :-P

I'm pretty sure all the best parts are done...well maybe not Tito's, but other than that I expect a general decline in quality for this AP. ;-)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
I'm pretty sure all the best parts are done...well maybe not Tito's, but other than that I expect a general decline in quality for this AP. ;-)

I see what you did there. -_-

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Neil Spicer wrote:
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
I'm pretty sure all the best parts are done...well maybe not Tito's, but other than that I expect a general decline in quality for this AP. ;-)
I see what you did there. -_-

I'm just surprised he didn't say "It's all downhill after issue #2!" :)


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Gregg, I had a somewhat similar approach to this AP. While I certainly don't share your harsh feelings towards the asian setting, I definitely had no interest in running this particular AP. I've yet to have a chance to run one, despite owning 4 in their entirety. Well I've finally been gearing up to start, got a brand new group together, all set to either run Council of Thieves or Carrion Crown. Well then I start reading through these, and run an online group through We Be Goblins, and the inspiration starts heating up. These adventures have just struck a chord with me that I wasn't expecting.

And now, I ran my brand new group of players through We Be Goblins last week, and we will begin The Brinewall Legacy next week. Everyone is psyched, and I couldn't be having more fun prepping for the ride.

So, I'll just hop on Gregg's bandwagon and say, "Thanks, guys, for the awesome times to come!"

P.S. Mr. Pett, that's second time I've run We Be Goblins now, and it was even more fun the second time. Special thanks for that one! :-)

The Exchange

I have many, many complaints about this AP. But less complaints than any other AP so far! High fives for everyone!

Contributor

I don't like the second part, but the writer's name escapes me...

Contributor

Joseph Wilson wrote:


P.S. Mr. Pett, that's second time I've run We Be Goblins now, and it was even more fun the second time. Special thanks for that one! :-)

Ah Joseph, I thank you very much, and can see you're a man of very fine and discerning tastes.

Huzzah!
Rich


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
LeadPal wrote:
I have many, many complaints about this AP. But less complaints than any other AP so far! High fives for everyone!

Hm, I have many, many complains, too, although that may be that I came into the whole thing expecting something quite different, due to word-of-mouth advertising by James during the run-up to the AP. ^^

Still, it is much better than Serpents Skull. ^^


I concur with most of what has been said so far. Great ideas and a very good AP. I also like, as always, the fact that you try new rules that make Pathfinder more interesting.

Just a but: I would really like some playtesting and official correction of the caravan rules. I know you don't have all the time you'd like to do it, but bad rules are worst that no rules at all.


I'd like to join the chorus. Goodness knows, I've complained enough about certain aspects of this AP as an AP. But the adventures themselves are just so... good. Really, really good. Some of the most interesting encounters, locations, and stories in any AP yet. And with Paizo, that is really saying something.

Shadow Lodge

I'm still not digging the asian stuff, honestly. I didn't care for it in Ultimate Combat or other products, and Jade Regant isn't changing my mind, though I do like some of the other stuff. I honestly wish that they would have dropped it in parts 2 and 3 and made those sections the rest of the AP.

I probably will cancel after this AP and wait for the next one after pirates (just no interest at all), but we will see. In my opinion, Carrion Crown was the absolute best so far, and I'd love more like that. Otherwise a Mendev AP, or something Linnorm/viking-like (which I think I heard was next after pirates). Possibly even either Starstone (deity or Epic related).


I don't run APs for my players, but I do like to collect them on occasion. Jade Regent is the only AP for which I have so far collected all releases.

In particular, I am really enjoying that "Husk" story.


No no no, give us more Runelords. I DEMAND MORE RUNELORDS! MORE RUNELORDS, MORE RUNELORDS, MORE RUNELORDS.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pawns Subscriber

The group I'm running just completed Part One last week, and they spent all of last night's game session building and customizing their caravan. They absolutely loved it! the way I did this is by not preparing at all, and then we all did a step by step group reading of the caravan-building rules. I must say the rules are organized VERY WELL and I was amazed that as a DM, I could do just that: show up at the FLGS, crack the book open, and just have a caravan-building session. It was great! There was a big debate about putting a ballista on the roof of one of the wagons or not... but in the end, 3 out of 5 voted that "THEY WANTED THE BFG!" A few players are even going the distance of putting some ranks in Profession: Siege Engineer before next session... LOL! I will be running the caravan encounters with the caravan combat rules, as planned, but I also plan to throw a few regular random combat encounters along the way, and let them use the ballista to "SPEED UP PLAY" if you will :)

.... nothing opens a road fight scene like a ballista bolt going through a hill giant's shoulder! :)

Frog God Games

Neil Spicer wrote:
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
I'm pretty sure all the best parts are done...well maybe not Tito's, but other than that I expect a general decline in quality for this AP. ;-)
I see what you did there. -_-

I'm subtle like that.

Frog God Games

Jason Nelson wrote:
Neil Spicer wrote:
Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
I'm pretty sure all the best parts are done...well maybe not Tito's, but other than that I expect a general decline in quality for this AP. ;-)
I see what you did there. -_-
I'm just surprised he didn't say "It's all downhill after issue #2!" :)

I won't say it didn't cross my mind, but Hungry Storm was just too cool, so you got a pass. :-D

Frog God Games

Richard Pett wrote:
Joseph Wilson wrote:


P.S. Mr. Pett, that's second time I've run We Be Goblins now, and it was even more fun the second time. Special thanks for that one! :-)

Ah Joseph, I thank you very much, and can see you're a man of very fine and discerning tastes.

Huzzah!
Rich

People don't generally know this, but I wrote We Be Goblins and sold it to Rich for a can of hash and a rock from Stonehenge. The hash was awful and the rock turned out to be a marble so I'm a little suspicious of its provenience, but I thought it might help Rich get some work. :)

Frog God Games

Greg A. Vaughan wrote:
Richard Pett wrote:
Joseph Wilson wrote:


P.S. Mr. Pett, that's second time I've run We Be Goblins now, and it was even more fun the second time. Special thanks for that one! :-)

Ah Joseph, I thank you very much, and can see you're a man of very fine and discerning tastes.

Huzzah!
Rich

People don't generally know this, but I wrote We Be Goblins and sold it to Rich for a can of hash and a rock from Stonehenge. The hash was awful and the rock turned out to be a marble so I'm a little suspicious of its provenience, but I thought it might help Rich get some work. :)

A bit of colored glass that some kid dropped while visiting Stonehenge qualifies as a rock from Stonehenge. I am surprised you didn't conclude that right away. :-)

Dark Archive

I am running this currently for my gaming group and all i have to say is that I am loving the story so far and I sense my players are feeling the same. My wife takes pride in beating a Greg A. Vaughan adventure. Ever since she dropped Karzoug back in RotRL. I know she will not have an easy time this go around though.

This Ap has brought my faith back on strong story with great game mechanics back it up.

Kudos to all around as I think this will be the AP to beat.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Jade Regent / An open letter to James Jacobs, Greg A. Vaughn, Jason Nelson, and Richard Pett All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Jade Regent