Regarding table tents


Pathfinder RPG General Discussion


I know that Paizo makes the pdf for Pathfinder/Pathfinder Society play, and I have seen more than a few of them used. Likewise, I have seen many last minute, hastily written out on a piece of scrap paper or note card tent. Most of these seem to work. I like for people to use table tents because: a) I often forget who is playing what character (I really like for players to have them when I'm judging), and b)it helps me learn player names (always a plus at a convention where I may judge/play with over twenty different people in a weekend).

I have done a few blog posts about the table tent (the most recent and relevant one here), but I am curious if there are any other players out there who have taken to making their own personalized or fill-it-in-yourself tents for Pathfinder play. Similarly, are there players out there who find the table tent conceit that is unnecessary?

I'm clearly in favor of them (I like being able to modify the ones for my characters as I see fit, but if I didn't I'd probably go with Dragonfire Signs tents for my PFS characters. Then again, that could get rather costly.

Anyway, interested in other people's take on table tents.

The Exchange

I create unique table tents for each of my characters. Or at least try to.

One of my current characters has hers in Plexiglass - with her photo and write up. Fold open (like a book) and stands on the table.

One is burned around the edges (so is the character)...

Two have business card printed on them, along with the character info (and I hand out business cards for the characters).

One is scrawled on a piece of notebook paper - but this character is still in development.

I try to give a discription of my character (with thier name), my name, and something unique about the character. Oh, and a tag line. Something like "Usually that costs extra" or "Can you say... toast?" or "Have a Beer!"

Table tents - great things.


nosig wrote:
Two have business card printed on them, along with the character info (and I hand out business cards for the characters).

That is awesome. There are characters for which such a concept truly works, but I have never seen anyone go so far as to actually do it.

The closest thing that I've seen to using a card in character is the rogue holding out the flat-footed condition card (along with the line, "Is this your card?") when attempting a bluff feint.

Your tents sound much more imaginative than mine. I'd love to get a chance to see them someday. And I do think that table tents can greatly add to the immersion into the game.

Grand Lodge

Table Tents are great, but I think the full sheet ones are obnoxious. Anything from a 3x5 inch card folded in half to a 5x8 inch (half sheet) folded in half the short way is about right.

The Exchange

Don Walker wrote:
Table Tents are great, but I think the full sheet ones are obnoxious. Anything from a 3x5 inch card folded in half to a 5x8 inch (half sheet) folded in half the short way is about right.

sometimes mine can be a bit big - normally I use a normal 8x11 sheet of paper from the printer, folded to be 1/3 tall - so I guess it stands 2 1/2" tall? the back side has lines for me to write the other characters names on it (in their order around the table) and the DM so I can remember names. and I'll often write notes to myself on the back ("CHECK FOR TRAPS!" or "remember your SR!"). If the table get's to cluttered I'll often fold it down.

When I Judge, I have a tent with my name etc. and I try to teach players to "Help me out here, a Table Tent helps me remember your name" and sometimes I pass out blank ones.


I tend to make mine as 1/3 a sheet a paper as well (and not just because it lets me see everything going on at the table).

I have never put up a tent as a judge, but the players seem to learn my name much faster than I could ever learn theirs. If I get my second star, maybe I'll put together a PFS GM tent for myself.


The mock-ups (three to a page...yes, there is a reason why one is upside down) I put together for an upcoming convention. Not sure which ones I will make available, though.

Click here to see


I have never heard of, nor seen such a thing. Sounds a little nifty. Of course, I'm also the guy who will go through the hassle of getting flash cards and writing out every ability my character has in detail... Including animal companions/familiars, prepared spell cards (1 card per level of spells known, listing DC, bonuses, and what spells are currently prepared[if preparation caster]), and individual cards for spells I am using (I currently have a LOT)...

I get the feeling if I bring this to my games I'll be told I'm going overboard... Won't stop me from doing it though xD.


Artemis Moonstar wrote:

I have never heard of, nor seen such a thing. Sounds a little nifty. Of course, I'm also the guy who will go through the hassle of getting flash cards and writing out every ability my character has in detail... Including animal companions/familiars, prepared spell cards (1 card per level of spells known, listing DC, bonuses, and what spells are currently prepared[if preparation caster]), and individual cards for spells I am using (I currently have a LOT)...

I get the feeling if I bring this to my games I'll be told I'm going overboard... Won't stop me from doing it though xD.

For a 3E game, I used to print out all the spells (on individual cards) that a new player's Wizard knew...and this was before companies went and made that very easy.

I think that having easy access to the abilities & such is always a good idea. Writing them out yourself will also help in general recall of the abilities without having to refer to the cards. But as long as you are organized, I can't see a downside.


Timothy McNeil wrote:
Artemis Moonstar wrote:

I have never heard of, nor seen such a thing. Sounds a little nifty. Of course, I'm also the guy who will go through the hassle of getting flash cards and writing out every ability my character has in detail... Including animal companions/familiars, prepared spell cards (1 card per level of spells known, listing DC, bonuses, and what spells are currently prepared[if preparation caster]), and individual cards for spells I am using (I currently have a LOT)...

I get the feeling if I bring this to my games I'll be told I'm going overboard... Won't stop me from doing it though xD.

For a 3E game, I used to print out all the spells (on individual cards) that a new player's Wizard knew...and this was before companies went and made that very easy.

I think that having easy access to the abilities & such is always a good idea. Writing them out yourself will also help in general recall of the abilities without having to refer to the cards. But as long as you are organized, I can't see a downside.

I mainly do it so I an reference a power quickly in case I forgot something, show it to the DM in he forgets something, show it to a new player, or use it as part of my 'system'. When it comes to per-day/round/whatever abilities, I have a counter on the upper corner of the card which I write down the max I am allowed at current level, then how many are left that day (a lot of erasing and re-writing, but it helps). For prepared spells I generally write down the name of each spell on the card for that level, using a single line on the flash card, and simply erase it when I use it. For spells known, I use a counter like I do for abilities. When I run out, I turn it face down and set it off to the side. The downside to flash cards is they're not big enough to write out a (picture-less) paper doll.

Helps me have a reference, and keep track of what was used and how much. Sure it's a lot of book keeping, with all that erasing and re-writing, but eh... Lately I've been using a two-level abacus (Called a Battle Counter, have no idea what it's for) to keep track of HP, broken down into 10s, and 1s. Toothpicks are nice to preventing mix ups on that, lol.

Grand Lodge

I have been looking at table tents for my players and I was thinking about printing blank ones and using clear contact paper to laminate them and using wet erase pens to fill them in and then I can reuse them. I was also looking at the Avery magnet paper for the tent and little tokens (printed or blank) for conditions or effects and they can stick to their tents.

Liberty's Edge

Table tents at PFS games are, IMO, all but necessary, if you want characters referring to one another by name (as opposed to "the barbarian"). Obviously they're useful beyond that, but that reason alone is enough for me.

I just make mine out of an index card, folded in half, usually. I put my name, the PC's name, a (non-class-specific) brief skill-set description, and a quote.

Note, BTW, that table-tents should have the info on both sides, and the tent itself should be oriented so that it's easy to view from both sides of the player. (I.e., lengthwise, out from the player.) That way the only person who can't read it at a glance is the single person directly across the table. The way too many people do it -- text facing directly away from the player -- means half the table can't read it.

Sovereign Court

I am glad to see someone else have a tent for themselves when they GM! I have done this for years, and most recently, with PFS games. I am terrible at names and faces so they are a great help to me.

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

I make my own table tents (including player & character names, PFS number, character race & class, and a picture of the miniature that represents that character), complete with the "Pathfinder Society" logo from the Community Use package, and print them out on cardstock two to an 8x10 page (so each folded table tent is 8 x 2.5 on each side).

I used to create them using Visio, but I don't have that on my newer machines, so I taught myself just enough about PDFs to be able to generate new table tent files using a program I wrote for the purpose.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thread Necromancy

I’m looking at designing my own for my home game with some needed in game stats how did you create these? If you are still around OP

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder RPG / General Discussion / Regarding table tents All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.