Just finished P90X!


Off-Topic Discussions


So after 6 months (several non-exercise related illnesses and injuries doubled the 90 days, including losing 6 weeks to a snowshoveling inspired back injury at the start) I have finished P90X.

Wow that was hard.

End result: I went from 252 to 210, my fitness is at least as good as it was in high school/university (I'm 38) if not better, and I can actually do chin ups (big long time goal).

I ignored the diet portion for the most part, it's hard when you're also buying for two small, picky kids. Though I did improve my eating, by eating less, not eating after dinner, giving up cabonated drinks (for a long while at least), and making healthier choices.

The two things I tell most people about P90X is:

"If you do what it says, it does what it says."

and

"It's not for everyone."

You should have a certain level of fitness to do this, those are some tough workouts. I think I was just barely in enough shape to do it. It also takes up a lot of time.

Now that I've finished the "90" days, I'm slowing down to doing an exercise every other day (one on Monday or Tuesday, one on Thursday or Friday, one on Saturday or Sunday), plus the Ab excerise on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We'll see how that works.

Feel free to ask me any questions if you're thinking of doing it. It was a very worthwhile struggle.

Sczarni

So you feel it was worth the money?

I've heard from a few people I know who liked it, but gave up on it. I'd love to hear how it goes now that you've finished.

Who would you reccomend this for?

I am far more out of shape than I care to admit and was considering this, but maybe I'll give the Kintect and the gym a few more months before jumping in and hurting myself.

Oh and congrats on finishing it!


Lunalynx wrote:

So you feel it was worth the money?

I've heard from a few people I know who liked it, but gave up on it. I'd love to hear how it goes now that you've finished.

Who would you reccomend this for?

I am far more out of shape than I care to admit and was considering this, but maybe I'll give the Kintect and the gym a few more months before jumping in and hurting myself.

Oh and congrats on finishing it!

I definitly recommend it. There a minimum fitness test that should be available online (P90X.com maybe), that I barely passed (or maybe even failed a little) but I was determined to do it anyway.

Unless you have serious health concerns (chronic back or heart sufferers should see a doctor first) you can always modify the exercises while doing them (knee pushups were my friends at first). They also demonstrate easier ways to do certain exercises in the video.

I also had bad knees, which are much better thanks to the strengthening in the video.

Just be ready to give up at least an hour a day to exercising (though on the Stretch day it says you can also rest).

You'll also need bands or weights, and a chin up bar. Bands are a cheaper alternative but each company has their own definition of what strength each colour is. And they hurt like a B@#$% when they snap. If you get bands look for ones with a specific weight equivalent on them.

Otherwise weights are the ways to go.

But look into it, I don't want to discourage anyone, because it does work. I may not look like some of their after people, but the change was pretty impressive.

Grand Lodge

Congratulations!

It's definitely a tough workout... I was surprised at how out of shape I was when I started it... so I ultimately decided to start with the regular P90 series instead and sort of work my way up to the P90X.

I just started as of the 1st of August and I feel great... the regular P90 workouts are about half the length of the P90X, but they're nothing to laugh at. So I would suggest to Lunalynx that that might be the way to go, at least initially. As with the P90X though, you need to be very aware of your diet or else you won't see the results you want.

And if you can find a friend or someone to do the workouts with you, even better! For me, personally, that's been the hardest part thus far... I love how the workouts make me feel, but it's hard to get motivated sometimes. Being lazy is so much easier! :P


Mr. Fox wrote:

Congratulations!

It's definitely a tough workout... I was surprised at how out of shape I was when I started it... so I ultimately decided to start with the regular P90 series instead and sort of work my way up to the P90X.

I just started as of the 1st of August and I feel great... the regular P90 workouts are about half the length of the P90X, but they're nothing to laugh at. So I would suggest to Lunalynx that that might be the way to go, at least initially. As with the P90X though, you need to be very aware of your diet or else you won't see the results you want.

And if you can find a friend or someone to do the workouts with you, even better! For me, personally, that's been the hardest part thus far... I love how the workouts make me feel, but it's hard to get motivated sometimes. Being lazy is so much easier! :P

I have to agree with Mr. Fox about the diet. If you can follow what they recommend do it. It's probably easier if you're just cooking for yourself (or without little kids anyway). If you can do it, do it.

I didn't even know about the P90. Probably for the best now that I'm done.

Sovereign Court

OK, I gotta admit I have been toying with picking this up. Ideally, I'd like to get back to my college weight. I think I'm in OK shape, though I have had back problems in the past (end up going to the chiropractor about once per year for several sessions ... I blame taking 5 dogs out on leashes at the same time for the majority of these issues, but I'm sure the extra weight I'm carrying isn't helping). Typically minor stuff (just adjust the tweaks and good to go), so I don't see that being an issue.

So first, how quickly did you start to notice a difference?

Second, what range of weights are needed?

Third, how much space is needed for the routines?


zylphryx wrote:

OK, I gotta admit I have been toying with picking this up. Ideally, I'd like to get back to my college weight. I think I'm in OK shape, though I have had back problems in the past (end up going to the chiropractor about once per year for several sessions ... I blame taking 5 dogs out on leashes at the same time for the majority of these issues, but I'm sure the extra weight I'm carrying isn't helping). Typically minor stuff (just adjust the tweaks and good to go), so I don't see that being an issue.

So first, how quickly did you start to notice a difference?

Second, what range of weights are needed?

Third, how much space is needed for the routines?

1st - You should notice some weight loss in the first week, especially if you follow the diet plan, or at least modify what you eat. Lower calories, better calories, better eating habits (late night eating bad), plus high calories burning exercise will show results pretty quickly. If you stick to it your weight loss should increase as you build muscle.

2nd - I figure between 10-20 pounds between your lowest weights and your heaviest. You'll find different parts of you are stronger than other parts. I can lift the most with my back, then shoulders and biceps, then triceps. But when you start out you may find that one or two weights will be enough. Bands are an easy way to get a wide range of weights (but see my comments about them above), though I still prefer weights.

3rd - I'd recommend at least 6 feet all round (more in one direction if you're taller than that so you can lie down). You can modify things to account for less room, but you have to at least be able to lie down.

I forgot to mention that you also need a Yoga mat.

Also, just have done the Ab exercises this morning I would like to publically say @#$% Fifer and his scissors. Ouch.


Thanks Cainus for the great info and congrats on the self-improvement.

I also have a few questions:

1 Does one have to watch the videos during the workout or are they designed as teaching instruments? I ask because I don’t have access to a dvd player at the gym.

2 What happens after the 90 days? Does one continue with the original plan or does a phase II begin?


Lord Gordin, bane of Byssul wrote:

Thanks Cainus for the great info and congrats on the self-improvement.

I also have a few questions:

1 Does one have to watch the videos during the workout or are they designed as teaching instruments? I ask because I don’t have access to a dvd player at the gym.

2 What happens after the 90 days? Does one continue with the original plan or does a phase II begin?

I use the video's the whole time. I don't see why you couldn't watch the video's, make notes, and then do the routines at the gym though. But I enjoy the video's, and some of the routine's probably wouldn't work at the gym (like the Plyometrics, Yoga, Kempo, and X-Stretch). There's work sheets you can print off that I can't recommend enough. You record the weight you used and the number of reps performed. It helped a lot to watch my numbers rise.

The book gives tips for what to do after the 90 days, I'm dropping my frequency from 6x a week + 3 ab routines, to 3x per week + 3 ab routines. You can still improve (not just maintain) with that but it will be a much more gradual increase.

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / Just finished P90X! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.