Inquisitor Tanks?


Advice


Okay, so I've never played any kind of tabletop game before and my roommates who are rather veteran players of Pathfinder (and, indeed, tabletops in general) have opted to start a campaign using the core rules, advanced players guide, and the Ultimate Magic book as well.

Initially, I wanted to build a Rogue/Wizard/Assassin/Arcane Trickster. The theory was that by taking particular levels and spells and so on, my PC could basically magically teleport himself to an opponent and, basically, instant kill them in virtue of the Assassin's abilities (the name escapes me atm and I'm far too lazy to go get the actual guidebook). Our GM deterred me from this build arguing, effectively, it would be far too powerful and would make the game less challenging/fun for the other players.

To that end, I decided to fill in another role the group was missing: a tank. Upon reading up on various races and classes and so on down the line, I stumbled across what I think is a rather brilliant idea for an inquisitor tank.

End of the day, the build is going to be FTR 1/MNK 2/INQ 17.

FTR 1 I took it for armor and shield proficiencies as well as the bonus feat.

MNK 2, I took because of the bonus feats which I otherwise would not have access to - namely, dodge. Additionally, I'm rolling a Monk of the Sacred Mountain which means that at second level in lieu of evasion I get Toughness and a Natural Armor bonus +1.

The remainder will go into Inquisitor, obviously. At 17, my character can use judgment 6 times a day, activates 3 judgments at a time can cast 6th level spells...additionally, my character can use the Slayer ability, as well as most of the free teamwork feats (save the one at level 18.

I do miss out on the capstone, I am aware...however, I was hoping to avoid insta kill abilities given my companions apparent dislike for them.

"Why not just roll a standard sword and board fighter and take him up to level 20?"

Frankly, because they're boring. No offense to any fans of the fighter out there, its just that...well, there's not really any substance to a fighter - in my opinion. At the end of the day, I'd be bored playing a straight fighter for several hours a week.

I also rather love the idea of being a battle cleric and the Inquisitor seems like its geared to be just that. Just enough casts to do some epic self/group buffs with the occasional heal or control spell in the background if you need it. Not to mention the absolute brilliance of those judgment abilities.

Anyways, back to it. My character at the moment is a human female name Serra. My starting stats as I conceive them look something rather like this:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 18
INT 10
WIS 15
CHA -7

Our GM ruled that we've 25 points to buy our stats with. I put the Human +2 into CON. First level, I'm selecting Fighter for the bonus wealth, proficiencies, and feat.

My starting feats?

Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Bastard Sword
Power Attack
Cleave

At level two, I put the point into Inquisitor.

Levels three and four will be the monk, again for the bonus feats and natural armor bonus (I do plan on wearing heavy armor eventually...yes, that negates the monk's natural wisdom/dex armor...and were I more of a caster type, maybe that'd make sense. But end game, my wisdom could only be 20 which is a +5. With my dex, that's a +1 bringing total bonus AC to 6 with only two levels of Monk...just standard Full Plate armor is what...+9 AC with a +1 Dex bonus? Just makes more sense to do that, imo).

The remainder of points go Inquisitor where I'll pick up various feats that are combat oriented. I was considering taking Extend spell...extending the length of time my buffs last? That sounds like a brilliant idea to me...but I can't decide if its worth sacrificing a combat feat for it.

Anyways! Is this going to be feasible? Or am I just completely boned?

Sovereign Court

Do you know what the expected pace of your game is going to be? By that I mean how often you will be leveling and having game sessions? You got quite a build planned out there. The thing to keep in mind about tabletop is the slower progression. You may not level as fast as you think.
This build may take quite some time before you can really take advantage of the inquisitor abilities. Looks fun though I hope it works out for you. I might recommend taking a look at the oracle of battle they seem to be something you may find of interest as well.


We've opted for the 'quick' game suggestion in the core rule guide. I do understand that tabletops are rather slow by comparison to, say MMOs. Nevertheless, I suspect I'll still be able to hold my own as a tank for the first few levels given all my classes are rather combat oriented. 'Sides, at level 2 I'll at least have a few spells I can cast (1st judgment, any of the orisions, and, of course, divine favor or magic weapon).

I actually was considering Oracle...I opted for the Inquisitor instead because the character 'feels' more in tune with what I want to do. The Battle Oracle seems more of a caster even taking into account their bonuses. With this Inquisitor multi-class, it just seems like I'm getting what the Battle Oracle gets and more in terms actual combat related abilities. The Oracle will get more spells and the like, that's true - but again, I see Serra as dropping a buff or two just before/at start of combat and then, basically, holding back the hordes of hell while everybody else does what it is they do (the party thus far consists of Serra, two sorcs [one will eventually be an Arcane Archer], and a cleric).


Majestic8705 wrote:

Okay, so I've never played any kind of tabletop game before and my roommates who are rather veteran players of Pathfinder (and, indeed, tabletops in general) have opted to start a campaign using the core rules, advanced players guide, and the Ultimate Magic book as well.

Initially, I wanted to build a Rogue/Wizard/Assassin/Arcane Trickster. The theory was that by taking particular levels and spells and so on, my PC could basically magically teleport himself to an opponent and, basically, instant kill them in virtue of the Assassin's abilities (the name escapes me atm and I'm far too lazy to go get the actual guidebook). Our GM deterred me from this build arguing, effectively, it would be far too powerful and would make the game less challenging/fun for the other players.

To that end, I decided to fill in another role the group was missing: a tank. Upon reading up on various races and classes and so on down the line, I stumbled across what I think is a rather brilliant idea for an inquisitor tank.

End of the day, the build is going to be FTR 1/MNK 2/INQ 17.

FTR 1 I took it for armor and shield proficiencies as well as the bonus feat. You lose monk abilities if you use armor.

MNK 2, I took because of the bonus feats which I otherwise would not have access to - namely, dodge. Additionally, I'm rolling a Monk of the Sacred Mountain which means that at second level in lieu of evasion I get Toughness and a Natural Armor bonus +1.

The remainder will go into Inquisitor, obviously. At 17, my character can use judgment 6 times a day, activates 3 judgments at a time can cast 6th level spells...additionally, my character can use the Slayer ability, as well as most of the free teamwork feats (save the one at level 18.

I do miss out on the capstone, I am aware...however, I was hoping to avoid insta kill abilities given my companions apparent dislike for them.

"Why not just roll a standard sword and board fighter and take him up to level 20?"

Frankly, because they're boring. No offense to any fans of the fighter out there, its just...

What is your diety. Can you choose Ragathiel whoose favored weapon is a bastard sword so you do not have to take Exotic weapon proficency and start with inquistor.


doctor_wu wrote:
What is your diety. Can you choose Ragathiel whoose favored weapon is a bastard sword so you do not have to take Exotic weapon proficency and start with inquistor.

My deity, regretfully, has to be Pharasma because of RP things I agreed to when I was planning on rolling my assassin so I kinda do have to get the bastard sword feat which is fairly upsetting. There really aren't many decent one handed weapons though hence my justification for getting the feat. The alternative is basically going to have to be the longsword...admittedly, there is only two points of damage difference between them but the bastard sword can be used as a two handed weapon if the situation allows for it.


Majestic8705 wrote:
doctor_wu wrote:
What is your diety. Can you choose Ragathiel whoose favored weapon is a bastard sword so you do not have to take Exotic weapon proficency and start with inquistor.
My deity, regretfully, has to be Pharasma because of RP things I agreed to when I was planning on rolling my assassin so I kinda do have to get the bastard sword feat which is fairly upsetting. There really aren't many decent one handed weapons though hence my justification for getting the feat. The alternative is basically going to have to be the longsword...admittedly, there is only two points of damage difference between them but the bastard sword can be used as a two handed weapon if the situation allows for it.

Falcata from APG is better


My understanding is that anything in the one handed weapon sections of the weapons tables can be used as two handed if you have the hands free, as can a single end of a double weapon. It's light weapons that can't.

Silver Crusade

After playing alot of mmorpg and table top rpg. Both builds have flaws in them. And the main flaw I see they will not work how you want them to.

Rogue/Wizard/Assassin/Arcane Trickster
Your combining low BAB with medium BAB. And expect to have 4th level spells. You will need a combined caster level of 7. Death Attack in order to get the save DC high enough you have to focous on Int. On top of haven a low BAB the chances of you killing any one with this ability ever is nill. The machanices of the game are such that if you get this to realy work in game. I wold realy like to see what kind of stats you rolled. This type of build can not work with a point buy.

FTR 1/MNK 2/INQ 17
This is a good build. Right up till you removed evasion for a +1 ac bonus. You want to keap evasion it will reduce the damage done to you by much more then any AC bonus you can get. You are mixing Monk and Inquisitor so with a good Wis, Dex you will never need armor. Bracers of armor will be better for this character then normal armor. So droping the fighter level is a option.

This build relies on the Inquisitor Judgment for damage. Along with spells. Base Speed 50 with monk 3 and travil domain. Now im not saying this is the best build. It however dose mix the monk and inquisitor much better then what you started with.
So with Monk 3/ Inquisitor 17 Desna
Human 25Point buy
Monk 1
Str 12
Dex 17 (all level up ability points here.)
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 16
Cha 7
Feat: Weapon Finess, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
Two Weapon Fighting star knives.
Level 3 Two weapon fighting and 1st level as inquisitor.
Level 2 inquisitor total level 4 initiative bonus Dex + Wis +4 = 11

Travil Domain: Incresses base speed by 10ft.
Agile Feet (Su): As a free action, you can gain increased
mobility for 1 round. For the next round, you ignore all
difficult terrain and do not take any penalties for moving
through it. You can use this ability a number of times per
day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.
Dimensional Hop (Sp): At 8th level, you can teleport up
to 10 feet per cleric level per day as a move action. This
teleportation must be used in 5-foot increments and such
movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You
must have line of sight to your destination to use this
ability. You can bring other willing creatures with you,
but you must expend an equal amount of distance for each
creature brought.

My full on suggestion is. If this is your first game stick to a single class character and don't multiclass. It is way to easy to gimp your self. With no real on hand knowlage of how things work in game. Multiclassing is trike for every one good combinations there are 3 times the amount of bad ones. And not all can be seen untill it's to late.


If you check out this profile, it's my Inquisitor for a play-by-post.

AC is solid against most @CR encounters (Though if it's a single @CR enemy, it gets tricky unless you have teammates to kill it by sheer action economy but that's often the case.) Also, Damage is nice. Big ol' crit range on the rapier makes it more likely that I'll get to multiply my judgment/buff damages. Medium armor makes it less mobile, sure, so that's a personal call.

And my Inquisition is pretty subpar for some scenarios. In my specific party (and for concept,) it's pretty great, though, because I get to be the party face with only 5 CHA.

So, in short, yes, you can make a good Inquisitor tank. But don't neglect their other duties (6+Int skills means you probably wanna cover some knowledges, esp. since they synergize with certain class features) or other abilities (Use the spells as a "Utility belt" if you aren't going casting-heavy)

Now, in fairness, if this is your first time with a tabletop RPG, I'm impressed how quickly you seem to grasp intermediate character building (from 1-20, even). However, if I were going to go INQ/MNK, I would do a bit different. The Inquisitor's "Stalwart" class feature is cool, in that it's kinda like Evasion, but for Fort and Will. So, if I'm a Monk, I want evasion (Esp. since ref is the inquisitor's bad save), partly because "Reflex -> Partial" is more common than Fort or Will -> Partial, and partly because then all my save defenses become preeetty good.

The other thing? I'd probably go Inquisitor/Zen Archer, and focus mostly on wisdom (unless the GM allows weapons with the "Guided" property, in which case, get one of those, pump wis, do no wrong). And wouldn't wear armor, either. Hence: Wis to initiative, skills (Including some it doesn't normally modify), AC, hit, Spells/SaveDCs and will save, but also respectable damage, between judgment, deadly aim, flurry, and higher chance to hit. That's neat, and I like it. Plant and shoot can be boring, though, so, y'know...

Your character, of course, so do as you will.


Alright. So check it. I've played a campaign where I was playing as an Inquisitor Tank. I'm going to try to tell you as much as I could remember, so this all from the top of my head. Note, this character was all about flanking and AC. It looks like from your post, that your character is already created. However, I'll cover what I did for the sake of sharing the character.

Name: Marrer (Based upon the Community episode of DnD)
Class: Inquisitor
Race: Half-Orc (w/sacred tattoo alternate racial)
Deity: Sarenrae

20 Point buy
Str 16
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 7

1-Iron Hide (+1 NAT Arm)
3-Shield Focus (extra +1 to shield AC) Teamwork-Precise Strike (extra 1d6 for flanking)
5-Dodge (+1 dodge)

From here, It was what ever I felt I needed. I went for more damage with power attack. I played the character until level 7, before we started a different campaign. around level 7-8. To my understanding, Iron hide will stack with other natural armor bonuses since it is untyped while an amulet is listed as enhancement. At least that's what myself and the DM agreed on. The following is the AC the character had when we stopped playing.

AC:31 =10(Base)+3(dex)+ 8(+2 Brestplate)+5(+2 hvy steel shield)+2(ring +2)+1(ironhide)+2(amulet of nat arm +2)

Popping the sacred judgement gives you even higher AC depending on your level.

For damage, it was fairly bursty. I had taken Power Attack, but due to BAB found that more often than not my attacks were missing more than hitting. I would only power attack then when I popped the judgement that increase your to hit. Thats the great thing about the Inquisitor btw, switching judgements around makes you very versatile.

The one drawback is damage. It was extremely bursty. With the weapon I had, i'd do anywhere from as low as like... 6-9 to as high as 30 depending on buffs/position in combat.


I have a Zen Archer Monk 4/Inquisitor 16 in my game that is an INCREDIBLE tank...
He follows the monk route as far as armor goes, and is a switch hitter for damage with Longbow and Falcata (wielded in 2 hands)
Of course the particular build (extremely Wisdom-oriented) relies on the Guided weapon enchant, which is from the Curse of the Crimson Throne AP (which we are playing) so if you don't allow that it wouldn't work as well...

The characters deity is also Pharasma, coincidentally, and he has the Repose domain (Souls subdomain.) The end portion of this campaign has been revolving very largely around vampires/undead/etc and so the domain has actually turned out to be absolutely stunningly powerful...
16 rounds of an aura that makes everyone immune to level drain, negative energy, and everything like that basically.

But yeah, he's got the highest AC by far in the group, Evasion, Stalwart, Slippery Mind (essentialy, alternate dwarf racial) ridiculously high Will and Fort saves, and many other defenses... not to mention his Initiative is sitting +26!!!!!
Allllllways going first. Only gone second once since the character was introduced.


I actually rather like that 3 Monk 17 Inquisitor build...so thanks for that calagnar.

You also solved another issue I was having - namely, I wanted to be an Elf but I just couldn't make the points work for me with the build I had.

Not because it helps my build or anything...its just purely RP reasons...

Yes, I'm a racist when I RP...Elves are the bomb diggity and we all know it. I'll gladly sack a feat to be that much cooler.

Brilliant. Imma roll something like that.

At least my idea wasn't a total bust then.

One question though: why starknives? And if starknives (or prolonged use of any pair of monk weapons, for that matter) why grab TWF at all? Flurry of Blows automatically counts as if the monk has that feat for the purposes of making the attack. Should I take what dual wielding feats I can then (ITWF, Rend, Double Strike, TWD...)?

Oh, and just for s*%~s and giggles...that Assassin concept had a base INT of 16, and base DEX of 18 (obviously a finesse weapon user). I came up with 3 basic ideas of that build. All of them were ASS 10...but where they differed was the number of rogue v. caster levels. If I took ART 5/WIZ 3/ROG 2, I could cast me a couple of 4th level spells such as invisibility. I believe I also count as 8th level caster so all my benefits from the wizard teleportation school would be in play (something like the ability to cast a spell almost identical to Dimension Door X number of times per day). From the ART, I get those bonus caster levels, an additional 1d6 sneak, and also impromptu sneak attack which seemed kinda useful with the whole teleport *if* I get noticed ha ha I still sneak attack you thing.

Which lead to the second idea...going up only to ART 3 strictly for impromtu sneak attack and putting the remaining levels into ROG for BAB and talents, etc.

The final idea I had was to just drop ART all together, go one level of WIZ for Shift (teleportation specialization), put the rest to Rogue getting the BAB and sneak and talent bonuses. I'd also be dropping the invisibility spells and stuff though.

Silver Crusade

You can only flurry of blows with monk weapons. Starknives are the favord weapon of Desna. So you get the proficency for free. They are light weapons that can be use finess and two weapon fighting. The reason for two weapon figthing chain is for the exta number of attacks in combination with your static bonus damage abilitys and spells. If you case divine favor for a +3 to hit and damage it applys to both weapons. And Desna is the one given you travil domain, and well it's just one of the best domains. It is the reason you end up with a base speed of 50ft. I recomend taking double strike, improved two weapon fighting, greater two weapon fighting, two weapon rend.

And the build will start with a AC of 16. Level 4 it incresses to 17. All with out a single pice of armor. So dex, wis, ring of protection, amulet of natural armor, Monk's robe and bracers of armor. Is what you need to look for to incress your AC. With out doing a brack down of all the items you need around level 10 you should see a mid to high 20s AC.


calagnar wrote:
You can only flurry of blows with monk weapons. Starknives are the favord weapon of Desna. So you get the proficency for free. They are light weapons that can be use finess and two weapon fighting. The reason for two weapon figthing chain is for the exta number of attacks in combination with your static bonus damage abilitys and spells. If you case divine favor for a +3 to hit and damage it applys to both weapons. And Desna is the one given you travil domain, and well it's just one of the best domains. It is the reason you end up with a base speed of 50ft. I recomend taking double strike, improved two weapon fighting, greater two weapon fighting, two weapon rend.

The deity, unfortunately, has to be Pharasma (RP reasons) and that's the dagger so not so much with the starknives. Given that...what becomes the weapon of choice? Elves do get proficiency in Rapier which has a nice crit range...but it can't be dual-wielded without penalties. Kama or Shortswords seems like the next best options if the weapons must be paired (benefit from weapon focus and other specific weapon type feats).

I'm also rather reluctant to rely on piercing weapons because of the whole being completely useless against the undead thing. Having said that, Inquisitor abilities (I think) can easily compensate for that problem.


We have an inquisitor tank in our group. We're only lvl 4 atm but already the GM is wracking his brain to come up with something that can counter him. When he drops a Shield of Faith and a judgement he hits AC 25, 5 points more than the next best armored in the group. (Ftr1/Rogue3, Ftr1/Alch3, Rgr4 and Inq 4)

He's got a breastplate (+6), +2 dex +2 shield, +1 Shield focus, +1 dodge, +2 Shield of Faith and +1 for judgement.

Hand him a magic armor and shield and raise his dex.. *Shudder*

What I'm saying is, you don't neccessarily have to multiclass to be an effective tank, but each to his own :-)

Have fun!


Or...hmmm...what if I just grabbed Curved Elven Blade? It can be finessed...since I'm not getting a shield bonus anyways, why not run round with that two hander of d10ing goodness?


Gworeth wrote:

We have an inquisitor tank in our group. We're only lvl 4 atm but already the GM is wracking his brain to come up with something that can counter him. When he drops a Shield of Faith and a judgement he hits AC 25, 5 points more than the next best armored in the group. (Ftr1/Rogue3, Ftr1/Alch3, Rgr4 and Inq 4)

He's got a breastplate (+6), +2 dex +2 shield, +1 Shield focus, +1 dodge, +2 Shield of Faith and +1 for judgement.

Hand him a magic armor and shield and raise his dex.. *Shudder*

What I'm saying is, you don't neccessarily have to multiclass to be an effective tank, but each to his own :-)

Have fun!

Remind your GM that he can attack touch AC, too.

If he builds a good magus or two who knows to use shocking grasp as a touch attack against armored foes, then he's got a dangerous enemy.

Or a sorcerer who can cast scorching ray all day.

Furthermore, he may or may not understand that his job as a GM isn't to build "fair" fights. It's typically to build challenging fights that the PCs will probably win. So if he's throwing @CR encounters and wondering why nobody's challenged or dying or whatever, that's because @CR is designed for PC victory. So he'd have to throw tougher encounters. 4th level isn't the time to worry about overpowered PCs, though. In fact, neither is any level before 12th, unless you accidentally gave someone an artifact or +6 weapon for free. No, 1st-12th levels are the time to worry about how good your encounters are, and if they're well designed.


Majestic8705 wrote:
Or...hmmm...what if I just grabbed Curved Elven Blade? It can be finessed...since I'm not getting a shield bonus anyways, why not run round with that two hander of d10ing goodness?

Ehh.. do you really wanna throw a feat after that? Or am I missing the deity whose favored weapon it is?

I get that you're an elf, but elves are not auto-proficient with the Elven curveblade, they treat it as a martial weapon. But since you, an Inquisitor, don't have martial proficiency, you cant take Exotic proficiency @ lv. 1 (BAB +1 restriction), and aren't auto-proficient.

So yeah...


Don't dual-wield as an Inquisitor. Your Bane ability is one of your best damage sources and it only affects one weapon.

If you want an additional attack to deliver extra damage (from Precise Strike, Judgement, Divine Favor and so on), play an Half-Orc and get the Toothy trait (or the Razortusk feat which does almost exactly the same).

In general, I'm totally against multiclassing for any kind of caster. Your spell progression suffers way too much (for my liking, anyway). It's kinda even worse for an Inquisitor because the class has SO many abilities that scale by level. Every level of monk or whatever other class you choose to take means one less round of bane, later access to greater bane, weaker Judgements, delayed spell progeression and so on.

For a Tank Inquisitor, I'd simply go single class with heavy armor (mithral full plate, so you can still use Stalwart, of course) and a shield. Enchant both with Magic Vestment every morning (get a lesser extend rod), and start any dangerous fight with Shield of Faith + armor Judgement. You'll be all but untouchable.

Oh, and btw: I totally don't get why your GM forces you to take the same diety, even though it's a totally different character concept. Personally, I'd do anything to talk him out of it.

Just my 2 cent.


Irulesmost wrote:
Gworeth wrote:

We have an inquisitor tank in our group. We're only lvl 4 atm but already the GM is wracking his brain to come up with something that can counter him. When he drops a Shield of Faith and a judgement he hits AC 25, 5 points more than the next best armored in the group. (Ftr1/Rogue3, Ftr1/Alch3, Rgr4 and Inq 4)

He's got a breastplate (+6), +2 dex +2 shield, +1 Shield focus, +1 dodge, +2 Shield of Faith and +1 for judgement.

Hand him a magic armor and shield and raise his dex.. *Shudder*

What I'm saying is, you don't neccessarily have to multiclass to be an effective tank, but each to his own :-)

Have fun!

Remind your GM that he can attack touch AC, too.

If he builds a good magus or two who knows to use shocking grasp as a touch attack against armored foes, then he's got a dangerous enemy.

Or a sorcerer who can cast scorching ray all day.

Furthermore, he may or may not understand that his job as a GM isn't to build "fair" fights. It's typically to build challenging fights that the PCs will probably win. So if he's throwing @CR encounters and wondering why nobody's challenged or dying or whatever, that's because @CR is designed for PC victory. So he'd have to throw tougher encounters. 4th level isn't the time to worry about overpowered PCs, though. In fact, neither is any level before 12th, unless you accidentally gave someone an artifact or +6 weapon for free. No, 1st-12th levels are the time to worry about how good your encounters are, and if they're well designed.

Luckily, or unluckely, whichever way you choose to look at it ;-), we have a good GM who challenges us all with different types of encounters, so the inquisitor is in no way an impregnable fortress, but he is tough and solid. And, no, he's not particularly happy about touch attacks ;-)

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I currently am playing in Legacy of Fire and have turned into the "tank" of the party mostly accidentally. My feat selection obviously won't work for you, as you are taking Pharasma as your deity, but it does show you possibilities. Also, I would highly recommend not multiclassing for your first character. Done right, it really works well, but there are a lot of… unintended consequences of multiclassing that you may not think of. I.E. 3 monk levels is an entire spell level lost (yes, you regain it near level 20, but levels 18-20 are only 5% of your game); your caster level is 3 lower meaning that shield of faith will be 3 levels behind (+1 deflection difference); your BAB will permanently be 1 lower than normal with 3 monk levels; the list goes on.

Mehrzad, Inquisitor of Sarenrae
Human Inquisitor 20
Base stats
Str 10 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 14 Wis 14 Cha 8
For a true tank build I’d recommend higher Con. Thankfully you have 25 point buy. I’d move Cha down to 7, and put Con all the way up to 15 if you can, and put the remaining point into Str for carrying capacity. At 4th, put the point into Con, 8th and on put it into Dex for Initiative/AC/Hit.

Feats
1-Dodge 1-Weapon Finesse 3-Dervish Dance 3(Teamwork)-Precise Strike 5-Craft Arms and Armor 6(Team)-Outflank 7-Combat Expertise 9-Mobility 9(Team)-Lookout 11-Spring Attack 12(Team)-Shielded Caster 13-Whirlwind Attack
The original idea of the build was to have bane up and whirlwind like-typed enemies to do great damage. It still will work that way, but Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, and Combat Expertise have turned me into a great tank, so I still plan on getting whirlwind despite not needing it as much.

Key Skills
Acrobatics, Intimidate, All Knowledges (to ID monsters), Perception, Sense Motive, Spellcraft
Sense Motive and Perception are the highest skills I have, followed by Intimidate and some of the Knowledges. Favored Class alternates between Skills, HP, and new spells. At level 12, I’ve taken 1 HP, 3 Skill, and 8 new spells. I expect HP to be used more as I level.

Deity Sarenrae Domain Heresy Inquisition
While my deity is Sarenrae, Heresy Inquisition is available to all Inquisitors. It’s a wonderful domain replacement that lets you bypass having lower charisma. Your intimidate score will be based off of Wisdom, so it’ll stay really high. Word of Anathema is also a decent ability to get and might piss off the enemy.

Key Spells
4th - divine power, stoneskin 3rd - heroism, greater magic weapon, ward of the faithful 2nd - lesser restoration, invisibility, perceive cues, see invisibility 1st - disguise self, expeditious retreat, shield of faith 0th - acid splash, sift
Spells for the inquisitor are there to buff yourself to hell when you can and give some utility as well. Heroism is quite possibly one of your most powerful buffs. It lasts an extremely long time, and helps you get past the hit problem of a ¾ BAB class. Ward of the faithful likewise is an extremely good buff. It is like magic circle vs. evil, but the bonuses go higher, and useful against all alignments. Even without another Pharasman in the group it’ll be useful. Perceive cues will boost your perception/sense motive so you can see everything happening, same with see invisibility. Before ward, shield of faith is the spell that is key to making AC high. Also at low levels acid splash is a good spell to use against hard to hit enemies and high DR mobs.

The biggest key to tanking in Pathfinder is that there is no “aggro” mechanic for monsters. Well, there is, but it’s called “pissing the DM off.” If you have high AC, but nothing else, the monster will try to hit you once, shrug, then go kill the wizard. However, if you can interpose yourself, or use spells on him, or do decently high damage that annoys him, you can keep it on you. For this Inquisitor, the key is to act first (High Dex + wis to Init) hopefully lets you act first. The combination of Mobility, Spring Attack, and acrobatics lets you get yourself into the best position. Remember that Spring Attack can be used “defensively.” Even if you have 1 enemy and all you want to do if move up to the monster, you can move up, attack, and move closer to your desired square, even if it’s still next to the monster you attacked.

Craft Arms and Armor will let your tailor some of the items you’ll want. Celestial Armor is absolutely wonderful. You keep your full speed and mobility, but gain the benefit of high dex and breastplate AC. So long as you have the dex, this is even better than mithral fullplate (9 AC + 3 dex vs. 6 AC + 8 dex). It also will let you add a bunch of nice abilities to your sword; menacing, flaming/icy burst, holy, area all good options. Combined with greater magic weapon you have a very formidable weapon.

At level 12, I only have 31 AC without buffs / judgements (+8 dexterity, +10 armor, +1 Dodge, +2 natural armor). However, consider than ward adds 3 deflection, combat expertise adds 3 dodge, and judgement adds 3 sacred. That gives 40 AC, 28 touch, 28 flat-footed. All at the same time pissing off the enemy with my greater bane ability.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / Inquisitor Tanks? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.