Magus Arcane Pool and Stacking


Rules Questions


In the Ultimate Magic sourcebook says that the arcane pool enhancements can stack with normal weapon enhancements up to +5. Does that mean that if you already have a +4 then only a +1 will stack? Does it mean if you have a +4 that you can only add a +1 special ability? OR... Does it mean that if you have a +5 then you can only add an additional +5 (making it a +10 total) or 5 points of special abilities. Thanks!


The enhancement bonus cannot exceed +5, the total bonus cannot exceed +10, and you cannot overwrite bonuses already on the weapon.

edit: this means that your +4 sword can have a +1 enhancement bonus added on to it, as well as flaming, frost, and/or any of the other special abilities. This works just like normal magic weapons.


Caineach wrote:
The enhancement bonus cannot exceed +5, the total bonus cannot exceed +10, and you cannot overwrite bonuses already on the weapon.

That is pretty darn cool!!!! Thanks for responding.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Zackeal wrote:
In the Ultimate Magic sourcebook says that the arcane pool enhancements can stack with normal weapon enhancements up to +5. Does that mean that if you already have a +4 then only a +1 will stack? Does it mean if you have a +4 that you can only add a +1 special ability? OR... Does it mean that if you have a +5 then you can only add an additional +5 (making it a +10 total) or 5 points of special abilities. Thanks!

There are two things a Magus can do to enhance his weapon with Pool points:

First: Expend one point to add an enhancement bonus to his weapon. (+1, +2, etc.) This bonus stacks with existing enhancement bonuses, to a maximum of +5. (The same +5 maximum that a normally enchanted weapon can reach)

So a level 1 Magus with a +4 Longsword can spend a Pool point to make it +5. That same Magus finds a +5 Dagger, his Pool points can not enhance it further.

The other thing a Magus can do, at level 5, is instead of an enhancement bonus, use a Pool point to grant a weapon property. (Flaming, Shock, etc.) Just like a normally enchanted weapon, each property is 'worth' a certain amount of bonus.

So a level 5 Magus with a +4 Longsword can spend one Pool point to make it a +5 Flaming Longsword, or a +4 Flaming Burst Longsword.

A level 17 Magus with a mundane Longsword can spend one Pool point to make it a +5 Longsword, a +2 Speed Longsword, or a +1 Flaming Frost Keen Shock Longsword.

Remember, regular Enhancement bonuses cannot exceed +5.
+5 Dagger is OK, +6 Dagger does not exist.

Special Abilities/Weapon Properties stack with this, but the combined total of the bonuses cannot exceed +10.

+5 Vorpal Dagger is OK, a +5 Flaming Vorpal Dagger does not exist.

Magic Weapon Properties
Magus Arcane Pool


so what of the enhancements that come from the blade bound arch-type? can you stack more bonuses on an already enhanced by you class weapon? and would you be able to add something like spell-storing to the intelligent magus weapon from blade bound?

ie; I'm level 13 that gives me +4 from blade bound could I give it spell storing when it was only a +1 weapon then at 13 it looks like +4 spell-spell storing

sorry went a little beyond the scope of the original intent of the op's question. (maybe I should have made a new topic)

; Kaigen


Kaigen_kenpo wrote:
so what of the enhancements that come from the blade bound arch-type? can you stack more bonuses on an already enhanced by you class weapon? and would you be able to add something like spell-storing to the intelligent magus weapon from blade bound?

I believe you can't enchant the black blade. Something about the non-standard Ego progression of the black blade vs a normal intelligent item. There are a bunch of threads about it, so that falls into the "Ask your DM" category.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Caineach wrote:

The enhancement bonus cannot exceed +5, the total bonus cannot exceed +10, and you cannot overwrite bonuses already on the weapon.

edit: this means that your +4 sword can have a +1 enhancement bonus added on to it, as well as flaming, frost, and/or any of the other special abilities. This works just like normal magic weapons.

That's correct. If you recall similar discussions involving things like the Paladin Divine Weapon bond, the same rules and adjudications apply here as well. This is also the reason why enchanting a Black Blade at all is a losing proposition if you're going Magus all the way.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Magus Arcane Pool and Stacking All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.