The lack of anti-magic object


Homebrew and House Rules


Hello everybody, I was reading the "getting used of UM" thread and how the wizard was "awesome", and how if you put all the party in jail only the caster can do "something"...
And I was just thinking "Who's the idiot that, in a world full of magic, won't put specific jail and handcuff to suppress casters abilities ?"...

And then I realized there's no such object in the books... Anti-magic handcuff or a special potion (think I read that in more than one book, some sort of tea, can't remember...) to suppress temporarily magical power would be awesome... Something the authority would use to imprison casters...

I was wondering if any of you had idea about that ? :)

Maybe some kind of material like adamantium that can "absorb" magic (giving RM) so you can put some in cells bar or in entire room ?


Good point, I never thought about that. I like the idea of anti magic handcuffs. Simple enough to put a person in a prison covered by anti-magic. Handcuffs that suppress magic for trials and bringing criminals who have magic just makes sense.

Silver Crusade

Casters can be tough to hold. As DM you can just create a magic item to do so. Shackles that binds the hands and feet and has antimagic upon it. It could be used for all powerful creatures and have dimensional anchor, silence and other abilities that can be activated by the wielder of the key to the shackles.

As a player you can research it. Such an item would be expensive though.

Scarab Sages

Because they generally don't need magical methods where mundane (and therefore less expensive) methods would do. In most cases, wizard and sorcerer spells require material, somatic or verbal components. Taking away the wizards spell components keeps the wizard from casting anything requiring material components; Regular manacles could keep the wizard from using spells with somatic components; and a gag would keep the wizard from using spells with verbal components.

Will this keep all wizards and sorcerers from casting? Not if they've planned for it with Still Spell or Silent Spell or Eschew Materials or the like. And there may be a few odd spells that don't require any components (I didn't check and I don't remember any offhand). But the three mundane methods listed above will severely hamper, if not cripple, the unprepared wizard or sorcerer.

EDIT: You could also blindfold them so they couldn't target anything either.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Antimagic handcuffs would be quite dangerous in any setting where magic is as common as in the "default assumption".

- Step onto the levitating elevator with the suspect - oops, you just dropped to your death.

- All the magic lights go out when you walk by.

- Etc.


Teleportation is the biggest problem.. Every sorcere able to cast a silent teleportation is going to leave your prison (and some wizards who can do the same), unless you take away his spell casting altogther.

An item that suppresses magic seems fitting, an likely to appear in major cities. They would only need a few, as they probably wont have many high level spell casters at one time.

Another solution is to have a fierce turnkey beat them with a club constantly, so the prisoners are kept safely unconcious.

Edit: You might look at jailer's ring from the APG, it will make it a lot easier to recapture those escaped prisoners.


Moriarty wrote:

Because they generally don't need magical methods where mundane (and therefore less expensive) methods would do. In most cases, wizard and sorcerer spells require material, somatic or verbal components. Taking away the wizards spell components keeps the wizard from casting anything requiring material components; Regular manacles could keep the wizard from using spells with somatic components; and a gag would keep the wizard from using spells with verbal components.

Will this keep all wizards and sorcerers from casting? Not if they've planned for it with Still Spell or Silent Spell or Eschew Materials or the like. And there may be a few odd spells that don't require any components (I didn't check and I don't remember any offhand). But the three mundane methods listed above will severely hamper, if not cripple, the unprepared wizard or sorcerer.

EDIT: You could also blindfold them so they couldn't target anything either.

Mmmh... I haven't think of it, you're right but what about the spell like abilities ? The cleric ?


Zen79 wrote:

Antimagic handcuffs would be quite dangerous in any setting where magic is as common as in the "default assumption".

- Step onto the levitating elevator with the suspect - oops, you just dropped to your death.

- All the magic lights go out when you walk by.

- Etc.

Well I was thinking of something that affect only the wearer, not a zone, for the handcuff...


HaraldKlak wrote:
Teleportation is the biggest problem.. Every sorcere able to cast a silent teleportation is going to leave your prison (and some wizards who can do the same), unless you take away his spell casting altogther.

Transporting the prisoner remains tricky, but a Forbiddance should eliminate the threat of escape by teleportation once the prisoner has been permanently confined.

Level 11+ clerics grow on trees, of course, so it should be no problem putting that Forbiddance in place.


I was wondering what price would you give to a mineral material that give RM ?

And imagine you can "module" the RM given for example you can put less mineral and have RM 10 and then put more and give RM 20 ? I think the price should get exponential but have you a price idea ? What if the RM can't be removed even if the affected person want it ? cheaper ?

Shadow Lodge

It's simple. Kill the caster and raise him later if you happen to need him again.


For those insisting on magical solutions to magical problems, antimagic shackles did exist in a few 3.5 books, though I can't recall which ones at the moment. They kept the caster from using spells, might even have been equivalent to a personalized antimagic bubble IIRC. Very expensive though, over 100K per set.


InVinoVeritas wrote:
It's simple. Kill the caster and raise him later if you happen to need him again.

This. I was thinking burn out his eyes, chop off his hands, cut off his tongue, and surround him with a forbiddance, that ought to do it. Then I thought, why not just kill him? Presumably there is some need to have him around. I like your solution better.


Lvl 12 Procrastinator wrote:
InVinoVeritas wrote:
It's simple. Kill the caster and raise him later if you happen to need him again.
This. I was thinking burn out his eyes, chop off his hands, cut off his tongue, and surround him with a forbiddance, that ought to do it. Then I thought, why not just kill him? Presumably there is some need to have him around. I like your solution better.

Don't forget to maintain a gentle repose spell on the corpse then, just to keep him fresh enough to raise.


of course, while everyone has focused on the cleric and the wizard, the ranger gets his salt and pepper, casts Allfood and eats his way out.

Dark Archive

Lvl 12 Procrastinator wrote:
InVinoVeritas wrote:
It's simple. Kill the caster and raise him later if you happen to need him again.
This. I was thinking burn out his eyes, chop off his hands, cut off his tongue, and surround him with a forbiddance, that ought to do it. Then I thought, why not just kill him? Presumably there is some need to have him around. I like your solution better.

I thought of that too! I mean, why on Golarion would you keep a powerful wizard prisoner?

But if you really want to do that, I guess you could try building a Antimagic cellblock.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

I've always been a fan of feeblemind


When it comes to items and non-magical restraint of casters I've always liked poisons that help... Nothing says forcible restraint like an injection of some liquid that burns away all the magic in a sorcerer's blood for a bit. Throw in some fire damage for fun.

Scarab Sages

I would think that most big cities will have more magical ways to deal with keeping spellcasters prisoner since they have a higher population of high-level people they can pay to cast spells for them. And have a lot of money with which to pay them. So it's more likely big cities will be able to contain a higher level spellcaster.

Small towns probably don't have the resources for expensive, magical deterrents so they'll usually stick to the mundane stuff.

And if the world has a high number of high-level spellcasting prisoners, maybe there's a magic dead prison or island or something that they're kept in. Makes for a good adventure if someone tries to break them all out.

Honestly, once a high-level spellcaster is convicted, I would suspect they'd just be put to death rather than have to put up with the expense and potential disaster of them escaping. And most bad guys the PCs face are killed so it probably doesn't come up very often in play unless a PC is captured.


the problem is probably that the developers are afraid of taking away ALL the powers of some class, just like that.

trough trickery, it would be easy to use any such mechanic in combat, grapple and pin that lich, menacles, and all is fine, perhaps in the surprise round. Okay, same might be true for other tactics to be fair.

Possibility would be several qualities of menacles that highten a DC to cast, but you can just as easily restrain the wizard to helpless and have a peasant threaten him to break his concentration while casting. Or just hang the wizard in a cage under a waterfall.

Antimagic-field will break the whole group apart, and make it a peasant-boring fight, if it is used too much. Now the restraint is, that he who uses it has to be a powerful mage, and he has to give it all up for the duration. It's a lot like a suicide bomber.

Third-party material should perhaps experiment with this, but I hope there will not be an antimagic boom in Paizo material.


A magic using prisoner would be a high priority, and probably have a bard on guard constantly performing counter-spell.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

First off... there's not such an item in the game because anti-magic is incredibly powerful, and an antimagic handcuff or whatever would be significanty expensive. And a waste of money, since in most cases, handcuffing a spellcaster's hands and/or gagging them turns off spellcasting just as easy.

Folks who aren't satisfied with that might want to check out the robe of powerlesness cursed item on page 542 of the Core Rulebook; it does pretty good at shutting down spellcasters too. It's a bit overkill, though, considering that rope can tie and gag a spellcaster a lot easier.

And for those arguing that rope and gags won't stop a powerful spellcaster criminal... you're right. That's the PCs' job, not some sort of mass-market antimagic handcuff factory's. ;-P


Richard Leonhart wrote:

the problem is probably that the developers are afraid of taking away ALL the powers of some class, just like that.

Er. Mundane handcuffs can essentially "depower" the majority of martial classes. Maybe not high-level barbarians, since they may have strength surge and just straight-up burst adamantine manacles, but I don't understand the problem. If we can turn a fighter into a commoner by cuffing him, why not a wizard?


James Jacobs wrote:


And for those arguing that rope and gags won't stop a powerful spellcaster criminal... you're right. That's the PCs' job, not some sort of mass-market antimagic handcuff factory's. ;-P

Ha! Fair point.

But I think the witch/wizard is screwed after one day anyway, provided he has nothing to prepare spells with(spellbook/familiar). Divine casters have to be able to pray, but that's easy.

Spontaneous-casters, however, can apply the requisite metamagic to a spell and use it to escape on day one of imprisonment, or, if they used too many spell slots, just wait for their power to refresh. Yay!


Nobody ever thinks about the spell mastery feat. A wizard that takes that feat for teleport some suitable escape spell they have slots high enough to still/silence can't be held by mundane means other than death. If they have a clone death just frees them completely.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Sleep deprivation. Just don't let them sleep/rest for 8 hours. And if it's a cleric or a druid, don't give them a quite hour to say their prayers. Just have them bound or in cell, and every hour on the hour whack them with a club or poke them with a long stick. Sorcerers are harder, that's why the authorities hate them and probably just kill them. Abominations.


Atarlost wrote:
Nobody ever thinks about the spell mastery feat. A wizard that takes that feat for teleport some suitable escape spell they have slots high enough to still/silence can't be held by mundane means other than death. If they have a clone death just frees them completely.

I do think about spell mastery. But spell mastery doesn't work that way. You get to apply "one" metamagic feat to it...


Anti-magic objects exist. It's the club or rock you apply repeatedly to the spellcaster's head to render him unconscious.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Homebrew and House Rules / The lack of anti-magic object All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Homebrew and House Rules