Elves lifespan


Rules Questions


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Does the core rulebook give the lifespan of Elves? In the racial description it calls them 'long-lived'.


They have the ages here, so presumably they exist somewhere in the book.

EDIT: Ninja'd


Look at the tables here. Elves die of old age anywhere between 350 and 750 years old.


Elves in Golarion do live considerably longer lives than the elves from the core book though, they can live for millenia and might be near immortal, as described in Elves of Golarion


I can't believe they didn't switch the ages with Pathfinder... that was one of my biggest complaints with 2E D&D... Elves are immortal, they can live for hundreds (if not thousands) of years... but are considered frail and venerable around 300+???

The MacLeods were both older than that... How are you supposed to create a long lived historical character and have all your stats reduced by 400...

Elves SHOULD have looked closer to 100-400 adult, 400-600 middle age, 700+ old and so on...

Age has very little bearing on the character other than fluff... and it's rare for a characther to actually 'age' enough for stats to change... even if fighting ghosts and hasting all the time.. it's STILL not likely to happen..

Let us immortal fans have our fluff ;)


Pathfinder and 3.5 are not Lord of the rings. Hence hobbits vs halflings. Outside of that, both pathfinder and 3.5 did their best to let people know that elves _seem_ to be immortal, due to the fact that they live through several generations of humans, and sometimes 2 generations of dwarves.


On another note, pathfinder and 3.5 are not the same either. Hence dnd said several times that even though their elves were more touchy feely then other races when it came to hugs and kisses, they rarely actually slept with anyone.
Meanwhile a majority of elves in pathfinder worship Calistria


Kennypngn wrote:
Pathfinder and 3.5 are not Lord of the rings. Hence hobbits vs halflings. Outside of that, both pathfinder and 3.5 did their best to let people know that elves _seem_ to be immortal, due to the fact that they live through several generations of humans, and sometimes 2 generations of dwarves.

Let us speak of other old things. Like this thread from 2011. I'm sure 5 years dead is a little beyond a threads lifespan.


Jeraa wrote:
Kennypngn wrote:
Pathfinder and 3.5 are not Lord of the rings. Hence hobbits vs halflings. Outside of that, both pathfinder and 3.5 did their best to let people know that elves _seem_ to be immortal, due to the fact that they live through several generations of humans, and sometimes 2 generations of dwarves.
Let us speak of other old things. Like this thread from 2011. I'm sure 5 years dead is a little beyond a threads lifespan.

It's an elven thread. So while the equivalent human thread would long since have turned to e-dust, this one's still kicking around acting like an amorous (or not) middle-aged thread.


phantom1592 wrote:

I can't believe they didn't switch the ages with Pathfinder... that was one of my biggest complaints with 2E D&D... Elves are immortal, they can live for hundreds (if not thousands) of years... but are considered frail and venerable around 300+???

The MacLeods were both older than that... How are you supposed to create a long lived historical character and have all your stats reduced by 400...

Elves SHOULD have looked closer to 100-400 adult, 400-600 middle age, 700+ old and so on...

Age has very little bearing on the character other than fluff... and it's rare for a characther to actually 'age' enough for stats to change... even if fighting ghosts and hasting all the time.. it's STILL not likely to happen..

Let us immortal fans have our fluff ;)

Elves don't have a compulsion to decapitate each other either.

If you want immortal fluff... take it to your GM. Or switch to Arcanis and play an Ellori, who are essentially Elf + Samsaran.


Sorry, realised the date after I posted. <_<;;

Was doing a late night, post game search to see if Pathfinder had released a thing for how long it took elves to reach certain age categories besides those listed in the APG. Then got annoyed when I saw yet another post referencing lord of the rings.


Ayo, let's revive this thread. After all it IS an elven thread, so it's barley middle age right now.

Anyways, what does Pathfinder 2e say about the elf lifespan? Is it around the 750-900 Y/O range or can they live longer?


No idea. There are different forums for that game.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I’m sure elves have to take a feat to live longer in 2E.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

but you have to be at least 15th level to take it. After all in 2E the "elfiest" elves are all 20th level.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

"A typical elf can live to around 600 years old."

So they now grow up a bit faster but still have a lifespan of several centuries. None of their ancestry feats really affect that -- but the Longevity feats are a good way to represent the mental processes of a really old elven PC.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Rules Questions / Elves lifespan All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.