[Community Project] Wayfinder #5: Call for Submissions


Lost Omens Campaign Setting General Discussion

1 to 50 of 234 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Gather around our campfire, visitor, and we will tell you tales of daring to fill your heart and sing songs to make even the hardest soul weep. Try your hand at Towers, or if you are brave enough in this Age of Lost Omens, receive a Harrowing. The horizon beckons us ever onward - we will not be here tomorrow, for we are Varisians, and the road is our home.

Welcome back to Varisia!

Some of you may remember this little fan project called Wayfinder (if you aren't, go get yourself acquainted). It is now time for the FIFTH issue of Wayfinder! A little change up this time around...Lilith is passing the baton, so it is looking like I will be stepping in to help steer this project this time around. (Desna help us...) So, let's review the rules and guidelines for submitting to the fanzine:

Goal
The goal for the fanzine is to create a collection of fan-created articles and supporting art set in Paizo’s Pathfinder Chronicles world of Golarion.

Types of Submissions
Regular Columns


  • Advice: Have some advice you want to pass on to new GMs or players to the world of Golarion? Share them!
  • Bestiary: New creatures to terrorize your PCs with!
  • Prestigious: This article is devoted to a new prestige class for the world of Golarion! In the past, we have included such classes as the dawa defender, dawnflower dervish of Sarenrae, the gunslinger, wave rider of Absalom and the witch warden.
  • Realm Building: The Kingmaker Adventure Path introduced a lot of new goodies for building armies, cities and kingdoms. This column is focused on building upon those rules.
  • Side Treks: Set in a particular region of Golarion, Side Treks will feature short outlines for a sidetrek adventure. Please reference earlier Wayfinders for the layout for this article. For Wayfinder #5, these regions are Ustalav and Varisia. One sidetrek outline per submission for this column. Submission size: 325 words.
  • Tales from the Front: Fiction articles based on any of Paizo’s adventure modules or paths.
  • Taste of Golarion: We're continuing collections for The Golarion Cookbook! One recipe per submission for this column.
  • Weal or Woe? Two NPCs (including statblocks), one helpful, one not so much. Include hooks for the PCs to know (or hate) this NPC and how to use them in a campaign. Include a boon (Weal) and drawback (Woe) for the NPCs in your article.

In addition to our regular columns, Wayfinder #5 will be focusing on Varisia and the surrounding regions of the Hold of Belkzen and Ustalav. Please use the Inner Sea World Guide as your main reference (as well as that handy-dandy PathfinderWiki)! In the case of a plethora of articles on similar subjects, preference will be given to articles that follow this theme. As always, crunch, fiction and flavor articles are welcome!

Guidelines


  • Thou shalt not disregard canon, thou shalt build upon it.
  • Keep in mind thy audience. No slash fic/porn fantasies, cheesecake/beefcake/fan service - keep it PG-13.
  • Short and sweet. Unless otherwise specified, article sizes are 750 and 1500 words. Anything over 1500 words will have to be pre-approved by me.
  • Submissions used to defame, harass or threaten board members are not tolerated.

Submission Instructions

  • Conditions for Submissions. All authors and artists must agree to have their works reproduced for other Wayfinder products, be it for translations into other languages, special publications, or use on a Wayfinder website. (We will be responsible for the truthfulness of the translations). All of Wayfinder’s publications are NON-PROFIT, and authors and artists will be given proper credit where due.
  • Send all submissions to me via email with the subject line "Wayfinder #5". My email is listed in my profile.
  • All text submissions submitted in DOC format (doesn't matter if you use Office or OpenOffice). Do not use fancy fonts or colors - these will get stripped out in the editing and layout process. Use the standard body font for the program you're using - bold and italics are fine. Note: Files sent in RTF, TXT, DOCX, or any other format than DOC will be rejected.
  • Include your name and board name in your submission - example, "Liz 'Lilith' Courts". Your entries will go through editing passes for clarity and concision. Depending on time constraints, you may or may not receive feedback on the editing process and your script.
  • DEADLINE: April 12th (printing deadline waits for no one, and is cold, heartless, and unfeeling). All entries will be handled on a first come, first serve basis. Some articles may be rejected depending on the final size of the PDF.

Advertising

  • Fan projects operating under Paizo’s Community Use Policy are welcome to advertise their websites and materials.
  • Third party publishers wishing to advertise their Pathfinder Roleplaying Game-compatible projects in Wayfinder #5 are welcome to advertise as well. Space is available for 1/4, 1/2 and full page ads.
  • Email me for questions about pricing. Email is in my profile - be sure to include "Wayfinder #5 Advertising" in your subject line.
  • DEADLINE: April 12th.

A PDF copy will be available for free here at Paizo.com.

I’m looking forward to everybody’s entries. Now everybody put on their kapenia, ready their starknife (or klar) and let's head back to Varisia!


Huzzah! You can rock this out Tim, thanks for taking the reigns!

Dark Archive

Just to clarify one thing. Will Wayfinder #5 have print copies, in addition to pdf?

Dark Archive

i'll get on it! now to think of something good for submission....


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

But... but.. I haven't finished going through Vic and Lisa's thrash yet. Oh well, I guess I'll get to writing anyway.


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

I'm thinking I might continue on the Milani-trail, this time with a Weal & Woe.


I'm a little confused as to the geographical remit covered by 'surrounding area', given that Ustalav isn't even adjacent to Varisia?
:-?


Charles Evans 25 wrote:

I'm a little confused as to the geographical remit covered by 'surrounding area', given that Ustalav isn't even adjacent to Varisia?

:-?

Ustalav is next to the Hold of Belkzen, which is next to Varisia. More importantly, the Varisians have an established presence there. :)


I thought Varisians pretty much had an established presence everywhere, though? Wander the barrens of Abaddon long enough, and you're bound to come across a group of Varisian travellers who want to tell your fortune and steal your coin purse...
:D

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Jason Beardsley wrote:
Just to clarify one thing. Will Wayfinder #5 have print copies, in addition to pdf?

Wayfinder #5 will have the physical, hold in your hand, print copies for those attending PaizoCon in June, AND for its contributors.

Dark Archive

Timitius wrote:
Jason Beardsley wrote:
Just to clarify one thing. Will Wayfinder #5 have print copies, in addition to pdf?
Wayfinder #5 will have the physical, hold in your hand, print copies for those attending PaizoCon in June, AND for its contributors.

Thank you! Will archetypes or alternate classes have a place in WF5?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Found the thread! Thank you. I will try to have something worthwhile to submit!

Do you have submission information for artists?

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Jason Beardsley wrote:


Thank you! Will archetypes or alternate classes have a place in WF5?

While I could see (sort of) how that might fit in under "Prestigious" column, I would think that such a submission of archetypes and alt classes might just be an article. If it was tailored to be reflective of the "theme" focusing on Varisia and the surrounding regions of the Hold of Belkzen and Ustalav, so much the better its chances of being included, should space be a factor.

And I'm pretty sure space WILL be a factor. This is #5. I anticipate getting more than we can print.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Jess Door wrote:

Found the thread! Thank you. I will try to have something worthwhile to submit!

Do you have submission information for artists?

Not at the moment....I will be getting the crash course on Wayfinder management from Liz this week, so my answers will be limited until that edumacation. ;-)

That said, the art is tailored to the article. When we get the written submissions, and select those that will be included for this issue, we will start tapping the art talent. My understanding is that the Art director duties take on that aspect of the 'zine.

I am sure there is a nice pool of artists established already, but if you aren't in that pool, you may want to send me an email with a link to examples of your work. The first step to being considered is to make us aware of you. :D

Contributor

I'll work up some poetry. Have a thought already, and it fits neatly with Varisia....

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

Tim, I've done some editing for Lilz for each issue, and I'd like to extend that offer to you for any future Wayfinder release.

I'm also pitching something this time around, so be warned. :)

Congrats on your new role!

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

Lilith wrote:
Huzzah! You can rock this out Tim, thanks for taking the reigns!

"reigns"?

...and you people let her put together 4 of these things!?! ;)


Sara Marie wrote:
Lilith wrote:
Huzzah! You can rock this out Tim, thanks for taking the reigns!

"reigns"?

...and you people let her put together 4 of these things!?! ;)

>.<

I need an editor!

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

Reporting for duty!

Dark Archive

Ready to art as always. And I'll tell Hugo to drop me a line on Facebook next time if he needs last-minute illos. Sorry about that. E-mail was having issues.

Shadow Lodge

Lilith wrote:
I need an editor!

Post on PFC, or contact Zux directly, I'm sure someone would help.

Shadow Lodge

Timitius wrote:
Wayfinder #5 will have the physical, hold in your hand, print copies for those attending PaizoCon in June, AND for its contributors.

Sweet! That's definitely cool.

Sovereign Court

Right on! I'm very excited to hear that there will be a physical copy!


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Art director reporting to duty! If you have me... :P

Awesme to have you on board Tim!


I'm feeling....monstrous.... :evilgrin:

The Exchange

I'd be thrilled to put pencil to paper for this one as well, if you'll have me that is. :)


Moorluck wrote:
I'd be thrilled to put pencil to paper for this one as well, if you'll have me that is. :)

Only if you do "the dance"! ;)

The Exchange

Woot! Hoping to have something to submit to this one (especially since I'll actually be at PaizoCon)!

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 8

Sara Marie wrote:
Lilith wrote:
Huzzah! You can rock this out Tim, thanks for taking the reigns!

"reigns"?

...and you people let her put together 4 of these things!?! ;)

She gave us cookies.

Timitius has yet to give us cookies.

Liberty's Edge

I can help edit articles as well, Tim. Just let me know.

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Volunteering for editorial duties, again! (I know I already said this on FB, but I'm making it official here...and dotting the thread. ;) )

As for fiction, I may just have a little number up my sleeve.

Must. Get. Writing!

Sovereign Court

dot


I think I'll try and add a bit of fiction as well. Ilsurian looks ripe for story-fodder.

Liberty's Edge

Very cool! Welcome Tim!

I'm planning on submitting a new class that I'm pretty pleased with.

Hugo, I'm also up for an illustration if needed :)

Silver Crusade

dotting!


*rubs hands together*

Eeeexcellent.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Tarren Dei wrote:


She gave us cookies.

Timitius has yet to give us cookies.

I gave you PaizoCon..... ;-)

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Thanks for all the enthusiasm, folks! You have 3 weeks to flood my inbox with your submissions. And by then, I hope to have all of the Wayfinder machine geared up and running, ready for editing, art orders, and ad spaces.

Hugo: Yes, I'll need you back!
Paris: Yes, I need you back!
Ryan: Yes, I'll take your offer!
Ashton: Art! Bring it!

Bottom line: If you helped before, I most likely need you again. We have a pretty tight schedule to get this done and perfect for PaizoCon in June.

Let's do this thing!


I'm glad to see the theme of this issue. There's an article I'd been thinking of typing up and submitting for awhile now. As to procedure, would it be best to write a short blurb describing the idea to see whether there's any interest before proceeding or is it expected that we simply jump in and submit the whole article in one go?

Scarab Sages

Timitius wrote:

That said, the art is tailored to the article. When we get the written submissions, and select those that will be included for this issue, we will start tapping the art talent. My understanding is that the Art director duties take on that aspect of the 'zine.

I am sure there is a nice pool of artists established already, but if you aren't in that pool, you may want to send me an email with a link to examples of your work. The first step to being considered is to make us aware of you. :D

For those who are a bit rusty, or have less free time, is it worth getting a head start on some more generic art that would fit the theme?

Even if it's used as a page divider or placeholder?

I think there's a lot of potential contributors out there, but they don't apply, frightened away by the short deadlines, as they don't want to commit to an as-yet-unseen brief they may not be able to complete.

I'm not blowing my own horn; this is for the benefit of other fence-sitters out there.
I'll be more surprised than anybody if I submit. Working in a tax office, at end of year, during major IT introduction, plus inevitable telephone calls re tomorrow's Budget.
Blech.

Shadow Lodge

Liz/Tim,

I've seen a few larger pieces in WayFinder, I've got one I've been working on at Pathfinder Chronicler that would fit this perfectly (Hold of Belkzen), but it's in the 2,500-3,000 word range (TBD pending the edit process at PFC).

How or who do I talk to about seeing if I can get more than 1,500 words?

Or should I just stick to the limit?

Thanks,

VtM

The Exchange

Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber

I don't see themed fiction as one of the Submission Types, is that out or just expected and not mentioned?

Dark Archive

Zuxius wrote:
I don't see themed fiction as one of the Submission Types, is that out or just expected and not mentioned?

AP fiction is mentioned, and since Rise of the Runelords, Second Darkness and Curse of the Crimson Throne are all set in Varisia, there's at least some overlap there.

(Carrion Crown as well, obviously, but I doubt many of us have gone far enough into it to have stories to tell...)

Liberty's Edge

ValmarTheMad wrote:

Liz/Tim,

I've seen a few larger pieces in WayFinder, I've got one I've been working on at Pathfinder Chronicler that would fit this perfectly (Hold of Belkzen), but it's in the 2,500-3,000 word range (TBD pending the edit process at PFC).

How or who do I talk to about seeing if I can get more than 1,500 words?

Or should I just stick to the limit?

Thanks,

VtM

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking they will ask everyone to stick to the same max word count for the sake of fairness.

Of course, I could be wrong ;)


I know the bestiary in #4 was a combo of at least 3 different submissions, and the Zertus Hargon piece in #1 was two submissions.

Some things get grouped, which makes for larger individual articles.

Timitius: Keep me in mind for double/triple checking statblocks. Please and thanks.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Zuxius wrote:
I don't see themed fiction as one of the Submission Types, is that out or just expected and not mentioned?

Totally mentioned....just not bolded.

"In addition to our regular columns, Wayfinder #5 will be focusing on Varisia and the surrounding regions of the Hold of Belkzen and Ustalav. Please use the Inner Sea World Guide as your main reference (as well as that handy-dandy PathfinderWiki)! In the case of a plethora of articles on similar subjects, preference will be given to articles that follow this theme. As always, crunch, fiction and flavor articles are welcome."

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Marc Radle wrote:
ValmarTheMad wrote:

Liz/Tim,

I've seen a few larger pieces in WayFinder, I've got one I've been working on at Pathfinder Chronicler that would fit this perfectly (Hold of Belkzen), but it's in the 2,500-3,000 word range (TBD pending the edit process at PFC).

How or who do I talk to about seeing if I can get more than 1,500 words?

Or should I just stick to the limit?

Thanks,

VtM

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking they will ask everyone to stick to the same max word count for the sake of fairness.

Of course, I could be wrong ;)

"Short and sweet. Unless otherwise specified, article sizes are 750 and 1500 words. Anything over 1500 words will have to be pre-approved by me."

Right now, I'm not overly sure what the exceptions are to this rule, but I WILL learn that pretty soon. (It's been less than 2 days since I agreed to do this) That said, you have a much better chance of getting your piece accepted if it meets the standard word count.

You might consider making it a two-parter, and getting part 2 polished for WF#6.

Sovereign Court Wayfinder, PaizoCon Founder

Black Fang wrote:

I know the bestiary in #4 was a combo of at least 3 different submissions, and the Zertus Hargon piece in #1 was two submissions.

Some things get grouped, which makes for larger individual articles.

Timitius: Keep me in mind for double/triple checking statblocks. Please and thanks.

Noted, Black Fang. I will be assembling the army of editors soon.

Dark Archive Contributor

I'm definitely going to submit something or somethings for this.


Excitement! Good to have you on, Tim! Should I pop Hugo an email if I want to be considered for art, or you?

1 to 50 of 234 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / General Discussion / [Community Project] Wayfinder #5: Call for Submissions All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.