Is Magus second or fourth declension?


Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion

Silver Crusade

Okay, everybody stop what you're doing for a second, because this is important. Sit down. Ready? Okay:

In the Carrion Crown Player's Guide they list the different classes, and discuss how they can be used in the AP. Each class is listed as its plural (e.g Alchemists, Wizards, etc). Magus, however, is listed as just "Magus". In the body of the paragraph, however, the plural is used as Magi (e.g. "In Ustalav, magi might come from the ranks of...").

So which is it Paizo? Are you going with the original declension of "magus, magi" (second), or changing it to "magus, magus" (fourth)? How am I going to write proper fan-fiction if I don't know how to properly decline the word? Especially in Latin! Left unchecked, this is potentially a game-breaking problem! I trust you will have corrected it before Ultimate Magic hits the shelves.

Grammar = Serious Business.

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
uriel222 wrote:
Grammar = Serious Business.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

-Skeld

Liberty's Edge

Skeld wrote:
uriel222 wrote:
Grammar = Serious Business.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

-Skeld

But I wanted steak.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

The dictionary tells me that the proper forms of the word are magus (plural) and magi (singular).

Regardless of how Paizo uses the terms, I would highly suggest you speak proper English, else people may mistake you for being ignorant or even stupid.

Silver Crusade

Ravingdork wrote:

The dictionary tells me that the proper forms of the word are magus (plural) and magi (singular).

Regardless of how Paizo uses the terms, I would highly suggest you speak proper English, else people may mistake you for being ignorant or even stupid.

Ah, but here's the rub: The powers that be at Paizo have said that they are re-purposing the word from "an astrologer, sorcerer, or magician of ancient times" to "a magic-using warrior". Thus, for this new use of the existing word, will the plural be "magi" or "magus"? This could have ramifications that echo for generations!


Ravingdork wrote:

The dictionary tells me that the proper forms of the word are magus (plural) and magi (singular).

Regardless of how Paizo uses the terms, I would highly suggest you speak proper English, else people may mistake you for being ignorant or even stupid.

+42 billion.

Proper English wins.

-S

Dark Archive

This is the best thread ever...

Scarab Sages

"I" before "C", except after "G"

>_>


uriel222 wrote:

Okay, everybody stop what you're doing for a second, because this is important. Sit down. Ready? Okay:

In the Carrion Crown Player's Guide they list the different classes, and discuss how they can be used in the AP. Each class is listed as its plural (e.g Alchemists, Wizards, etc). Magus, however, is listed as just "Magus". In the body of the paragraph, however, the plural is used as Magi (e.g. "In Ustalav, magi might come from the ranks of...").

So which is it Paizo? Are you going with the original declension of "magus, magi" (second), or changing it to "magus, magus" (fourth)? How am I going to write proper fan-fiction if I don't know how to properly decline the word? Especially in Latin! Left unchecked, this is potentially a game-breaking problem! I trust you will have corrected it before Ultimate Magic hits the shelves.

Grammar = Serious Business.

Are you certain it isn't a 3rd declension neuter noun like vulnus, vulneris? And might I remind you that the genitive singular of a 4th declension noun has a macron over the 'u' in the termination.

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

uriel222 wrote:

So which is it Paizo? Are you going with the original declension of "magus, magi" (second), or changing it to "magus, magus" (fourth)? How am I going to write proper fan-fiction if I don't know how to properly decline the word? Especially in Latin! Left unchecked, this is potentially a game-breaking problem! I trust you will have corrected it before Ultimate Magic hits the shelves.

Grammar = Serious Business.

It should indeed be "magi." So, when should we expect you to post said Latin fan-fiction? Is it in dactylic hexameter?

Silver Crusade

Judy Bauer wrote:
uriel222 wrote:

So which is it Paizo? Are you going with the original declension of "magus, magi" (second), or changing it to "magus, magus" (fourth)? How am I going to write proper fan-fiction if I don't know how to properly decline the word? Especially in Latin! Left unchecked, this is potentially a game-breaking problem! I trust you will have corrected it before Ultimate Magic hits the shelves.

Grammar = Serious Business.

It should indeed be "magi." So, when should we expect you to post said Latin fan-fiction? Is it in dactylic hexameter?

Qui dono versutum nouum narratum

arida modo pumice expolitum?


The Oxford English Dictionary says that it is Magus / Magi.


Selgard wrote:

+42 billion.

Proper English wins.

While I find I am in complete agreement with your premise, I must ask you to clarify your argument. To which do you refer: the traditional--and therefore proper--Queen's English, or the bastardized English I was taught in school with "colors" and "theaters" and "trucks" instead of "lorries"? The OED *is* from Oxford, after all. ;)

Disclaimer--The above is meant in jest, with no offense implied. Offense inferred is the sole property of the reader. This disclaimer also allows the author to demonstrate the difference between "imply" and "infer", which he finds misused nearly as often as "hopefully".

Now I should step away before I begin speaking like Paarfi, which could only amuse those select few who have enjoyed the pleasure of his quill. :)


Ravingdork wrote:
The dictionary tells me that the proper forms of the word are magus (plural) and magi (singular).

Er, my dictionary has them the other way around.


Doodpants wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
The dictionary tells me that the proper forms of the word are magus (plural) and magi (singular).
Er, my dictionary has them the other way around.

mine is like that too Magus (singular) and Magi (plural). but i beleive it is the reverse with genies.

Djinn (plural) Djinni (singular)


Doodpants wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
The dictionary tells me that the proper forms of the word are magus (plural) and magi (singular).
Er, my dictionary has them the other way around.

His dictionary might be broken.


Quote:
His dictionary might be broken.

Can happen when you download your dictionary at questionable sites

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

Merriam-Webster's Thesaurus tells me that it is magus(singular) and magi (plural).


Something else i noticed about magi in the carrion crown players guide, the mention of archetypes (mwahahahaha) but I could play this AP before ultimate magic is released... i think as an added bonus of being AP subscriber since second darkness, I should get a sneak peak at said hexcrafter etc etc.... yknow, because it's mentioned, now I gotta see it!
Now Now Now Now!


Pendagast wrote:

Something else i noticed about magi in the carrion crown players guide, the mention of archetypes (mwahahahaha) but I could play this AP before ultimate magic is released... i think as an added bonus of being AP subscriber since second darkness, I should get a sneak peak at said hexcrafter etc etc.... yknow, because it's mentioned, now I gotta see it!

Now Now Now Now!

Or is it "Archetypi"?


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I was using http://dictionary.reference.com/.


Ravingdork wrote:
I was using http://dictionary.reference.com/.

I think you misread the entry; it says magus is singular and magi is plural.


Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Doodpants wrote:
Ravingdork wrote:
I was using http://dictionary.reference.com/.
I think you misread the entry; it says magus is singular and magi is plural.

Yes, I suppose I did.


Come on, we all know the tale of the Three Magi, the three magic-wielding swordsmen who fought their way through hordes of orcs and goblins to reach the Star of Bethlehem.

Okay, so that isn't what it was about, so enough fanfiction.

I'd beat the dead horse and say that "magi" is indeed the plural, in both fantasy and real life. I'm still curious as to why they chose the name.


ChrisO wrote:


Now I should step away before I begin speaking like Paarfi, which could only amuse those select few who have enjoyed the pleasure of his quill. :)

Ah, Paarfi... I wish Audible would pick up those books...

Oh, and I gotta go with Magi.


It's Greek: Magoi! I'm going to just say that it's 2nd, although I haven't worried about that kind of thing in ages.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Ravingdork wrote:
Regardless of how Paizo uses the terms, I would highly suggest you speak proper English, else people may mistake you for being ignorant or even stupid.

Ahh, but it's not proper English. A Magus isn't a magus, in the same way a Fireball isn't a fireball; one is bound by the laws of physics, the other by the laws of genre.

For all we know, it's Magusees.


Well, since there's no way I'm going to refer to That Class as "Magus," I will happily continue with the proper English, Magus, Magi.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Judy Bauer wrote:
uriel222 wrote:

So which is it Paizo? Are you going with the original declension of "magus, magi" (second), or changing it to "magus, magus" (fourth)? How am I going to write proper fan-fiction if I don't know how to properly decline the word? Especially in Latin! Left unchecked, this is potentially a game-breaking problem! I trust you will have corrected it before Ultimate Magic hits the shelves.

Grammar = Serious Business.

It should indeed be "magi." So, when should we expect you to post said Latin fan-fiction? Is it in dactylic hexameter?

Does it really matter just which version is correct? Judy has given us what Paizo will be using, so... that just leaves the question of how on earth a Magus actually made a Staff of the Magi in the first place :P

Liberty's Edge

Kvantum wrote:
Does it really matter just which version is correct? Judy has given us what Paizo will be using, so... that just leaves the question of how on earth a Magus actually made a Staff of the Magi in the first place :P

It wasn't made by a magus.

It was popularized by a magus who used two of them in a single spell combat round - one as a spell and the other as a melee weapon.


While yes Magus is a second declension noun it is also a first declension adjective. So the new question posed is should a female of the class be refereed to as a "Maga" (pl. Magae) and a creature without sex called a "Magum?"

Personally I vote for usual the adjective forms since the translation of Magus is "wise-man" and so otherwise is inherently gendered.

(I now have to go show this thread to the Classics prof on my thesis committee.)

Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Ultimate Magic Playtest / Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion / Is Magus second or fourth declension? All Messageboards
Recent threads in Round 3: Revised Magus Discussion