Columbus, OH


Gamer Connection


Any Pathfinders in Columbus, OH? Any Pathfinder Society or home games? The only PFS in Columbus dried up so looking for something for my wife and I.

-Kyle


What part of Columbus are you from? Are you willing to travel to play? I have just started running a home game with two of my friends in Circleville, and we are looking for some additional players.

We are not apart of the Pathfinder Society yet, as we have just started playing Pathfinder. Both of the players of the group have shown interest in the Adventure Paths, and I personally have thought about looking into joining the Pathfinder Society, in one form or another.


Sidious_Snake wrote:

What part of Columbus are you from? Are you willing to travel to play? I have just started running a home game with two of my friends in Circleville, and we are looking for some additional players.

We are not apart of the Pathfinder Society yet, as we have just started playing Pathfinder. Both of the players of the group have shown interest in the Adventure Paths, and I personally have thought about looking into joining the Pathfinder Society, in one form or another.

I grew up in Lockbourne and went to school at Teays Valley. I live up in Dublin now but going to Circleville wouldn't be that bad.


That is cool that you are willing to come down to Circleville to game. My roommate and myself live in Chillicothe, so we're having to take a trip north to game with another mutual friend of ours.

Right now we play on Sundays, because that is the best day for all of our individual schedules. Would that be a problem for you and your wife? We usually start between 12 and 1 in the afternoon. We play until we get tired, or call it because of early work days on Monday.

Two points I need to throw out there. One, Pathfinder is not our first game, and although we are enjoying it quite a bit right now; to keep things fresh we do switch games from time to time. Are there any other games you have played and would like to play again? Are there any games that you put your foot down that you will never touch again, even if you were paid to play them?

Second point, our games are not pure hack and slash. We are falling into a routine of one or two "questing" adventures, with a political adventure in between. Would you be opposed to an entire game session where you threw dice maybe a total of 10 times?

Like I said, we game at a friends house. I will have to clear it with him on bringing in new players, but I do not see a problem from his end. He enjoys playing, and would pretty much say yes to anything that got more people involved. Just a courtesy to him, with it being his house and all.


Kyle Smith, Role Player wrote:

Any Pathfinders in Columbus, OH? Any Pathfinder Society or home games? The only PFS in Columbus dried up so looking for something for my wife and I.

-Kyle

I'm guessing you were playing at The Armoury and must've gotten the bad news?


I did some searching today, and was surprised to see that the Columbus area only had one organized play group, that appeared to be inactive since 2009. Further more, I have been unable to find any Venture-Captains for the Columbus region.

Since I am new to Pathfinder, and organized play in general; might I ask what happened to that group?


That store's closing down (I'm guessing in a month?), but there's a couple other guys lurking around here that frequent there more than I do and have participated in PFS (whereas I have not). I have not been made aware of any other PFS being ran in Central Ohio or if there is a venture captain for the region; you'll likely have to go to the Pathfinder Society section in the forums to get that addressed.


it is always a shame to see a local game shop close down, even if its not one that I frequent.

I am surprised to see that the Guard Tower does not have anything scheduled from the Pathfinder Society. I know its based on players organizing the games, but considering that the Tower's Pathfinder selection has literally swelled to almost triple its size in a few short months, it shows there are people buying the product.

I have checked out everything I could find on the PFS pages, and the closest I could find was the Venture-Captain in Cincy. I have recently fell into more free time than I know what to do with, and considered spending it trying to get something going for PFS around here. Venture-Captain is appealing, but my lack of organized play experience does not look good on an application of that caliber. Attending GenCon would also be slightly problematic for me as well.


Sidious_Snake wrote:

That is cool that you are willing to come down to Circleville to game. My roommate and myself live in Chillicothe, so we're having to take a trip north to game with another mutual friend of ours.

Right now we play on Sundays, because that is the best day for all of our individual schedules. Would that be a problem for you and your wife? We usually start between 12 and 1 in the afternoon. We play until we get tired, or call it because of early work days on Monday.

Two points I need to throw out there. One, Pathfinder is not our first game, and although we are enjoying it quite a bit right now; to keep things fresh we do switch games from time to time. Are there any other games you have played and would like to play again? Are there any games that you put your foot down that you will never touch again, even if you were paid to play them?

Second point, our games are not pure hack and slash. We are falling into a routine of one or two "questing" adventures, with a political adventure in between. Would you be opposed to an entire game session where you threw dice maybe a total of 10 times?

Like I said, we game at a friends house. I will have to clear it with him on bringing in new players, but I do not see a problem from his end. He enjoys playing, and would pretty much say yes to anything that got more people involved. Just a courtesy to him, with it being his house and all.

I'd prefer to play once-twice a month, it would be easier not to make the drive that often. I'm partial to Pathfinder but I am also a fan of Legend of the Five Rings -- not fond of World of Darkness games admittedly. I'm willing to try about anything else.

I heard Armoury Games is shutting down, sad but it's a hard market.


Sidious_Snake wrote:

it is always a shame to see a local game shop close down, even if its not one that I frequent.

I am surprised to see that the Guard Tower does not have anything scheduled from the Pathfinder Society. I know its based on players organizing the games, but considering that the Tower's Pathfinder selection has literally swelled to almost triple its size in a few short months, it shows there are people buying the product.

I have noticed its Pathfinder stock on-hand expanding too. They're catching up. They even have an occasional 3PP Pathfinder-supported book trickling in.

Sidious_Snake wrote:
I have checked out everything I could find on the PFS pages, and the closest I could find was the Venture-Captain in Cincy. I have recently fell into more free time than I know what to do with, and considered spending it trying to get something going for PFS around here. Venture-Captain is appealing, but my lack of organized play experience does not look good on an application of that caliber. Attending GenCon would also be slightly problematic for me as well.

May just start a new thread in that forum and bring to the attention where does one find an easy to access extant list of VCs because I ran across the same problem you did in locating them.


Kyle Smith, Role Player wrote:
I heard Armoury Games is shutting down, sad but it's a hard market.

Personally, I think their location did them in. I realize that store leases aren't exactly cheap in Pickerington, but that particular strip doesn't get nearly the foot traffic as do others along the 256 strip. If they were able to be located north of Refugee and were able to acquire an affordable lease, it'd probably have done better.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I've been seriously thinking about starting to run PFS at the Guardtower on Tuesday evenings, didn't know if there was enough interest to justify it. I also didn't want to compete with the Armory group- didn't know it wasn't active.


Alatariel wrote:
I've been seriously thinking about starting to run PFS at the Guardtower on Tuesday evenings, didn't know if there was enough interest to justify it. I also didn't want to compete with the Armory group- didn't know it wasn't active.

The only issue may be geographical locations, but I don't see why it couldn't hurt. Good luck if you do give it a shot. =)


Alatariel wrote:
I've been seriously thinking about starting to run PFS at the Guardtower on Tuesday evenings, didn't know if there was enough interest to justify it. I also didn't want to compete with the Armory group- didn't know it wasn't active.

The Guardtower feels like a stone's throw away from where I live so I'd be happy to join in, my wife would be too. There you go, two players.

Dark Archive

Starfinder Superscriber
Alatariel wrote:
I've been seriously thinking about starting to run PFS at the Guardtower on Tuesday evenings, didn't know if there was enough interest to justify it. I also didn't want to compete with the Armory group- didn't know it wasn't active.

I work right by the Guardtower and I am free Tuesday nights after 6:30p. I think you would get a good response if you posted a flyer there. Right now, the Guardtower is the LGS for Columbus.


remoh wrote:
I work right by the Guardtower and I am free Tuesday nights after 6:30p. I think you would get a good response if you posted a flyer there. Right now, the Guardtower is the LGS for Columbus.

I wouldn't say THE Local Gaming Store but I would say one of the best, its definitely the most spacious. I love a small place called Dave's Clubhouse down in Reynoldsburg. We won't mention The Soldiery... Comic Town doesn't cater to RPGs well enough... But yeah, The Guardtower is nice.

3 people looks good so far. ;)

Tuesday evenings is nice, I love not doing stuff on weekends.


Kyle Smith, Role Player wrote:

I wouldn't say THE Local Gaming Store but I would say one of the best, its definitely the most spacious. I love a small place called Dave's Clubhouse down in Reynoldsburg. We won't mention The Soldiery... Comic Town doesn't cater to RPGs well enough... But yeah, The Guardtower is nice.

3 people looks good so far. ;)

Tuesday evenings is nice, I love not doing stuff on weekends.

I've been told that Dave's Clubhouse was geared more toward comics and card games and doesn't have a whole lot of stock when it comes to RPGs? I've only heard of it within the past week and you're the third person to bring it up.

There's also Comic Shop Plus in Newark off of 21st St and Ravenstone Games off of Karl Ct near Karl & 161.

I'm curious (more for the sake of amusement), I have to hear your story behind The Soldiery. ;-)


There is Ravenstone! That's nearby, good like hole in the wall. Never heard of Comic Shop Plus.

Dave's Clubhouse is a section on RPG stuff but I primarily go to play Magic: The Gathering on Saturdays. They have all the Pathfinder books you need to play and they order anything you want. Several groups come in and play RPGs in the basement.

If you have EVER been to The Soldiery, you know what I'm talking about. I started going there in high school since I knew no other stores... Later on I realized how terrible that place smells. When you have a group of players in there you have the worst case of B.O. in Columbus -- there are too many disgusting, hygiene impaired gamers in there at any given time. What doesn't help the case is that there is no air conditioning to remedy sweaty gamers.

And that's not all! The owner rips you off, he's overpriced on his stock (primarily talking about Magic here) and dear God, last time I saw the guy has these long coke fingernails which make you cringe looking at them or when he touches your stuff.


Kyle Smith, Role Player wrote:

There is Ravenstone! That's nearby, good like hole in the wall. Never heard of Comic Shop Plus.

Dave's Clubhouse is a section on RPG stuff but I primarily go to play Magic: The Gathering on Saturdays. They have all the Pathfinder books you need to play and they order anything you want. Several groups come in and play RPGs in the basement.

If you have EVER been to The Soldiery, you know what I'm talking about. I started going there in high school since I knew no other stores... Later on I realized how terrible that place smells. When you have a group of players in there you have the worst case of B.O. in Columbus -- there are too many disgusting, hygiene impaired gamers in there at any given time. What doesn't help the case is that there is no air conditioning to remedy sweaty gamers.

And that's not all! The owner rips you off, he's overpriced on his stock (primarily talking about Magic here) and dear God, last time I saw the guy has these long coke fingernails which make you cringe looking at them or when he touches your stuff.

And lets not forget the elitist attitude when you do not purchase his favorite game...

He gave me 9 kinds of $#!7 for wanting to catch up my Palladium stock...
I walked out on him. Left $400 worth of product sitting on his counter unpaid for...
Went to the Guardtower grabbed all my books there and got a nice discount for dropping so much cash in one stop in the store.
That made me a GuardTower patron for the duration.


The only time I swing by the Soldiery if I'm looking for some loose non-DDM minis that I could use (I think it was last summer?). I admire a lot of his OOP games that are stocked, but I swear they've been sitting there undusted for years w/o nary a budge on the MSRP.

At any given time, just about all of the LGS could have their share of the lack-of-hygiene crowds, but I know what you're getting at in this instance.

I've found it interesting that Ravenstone is just a hop and a skip away from a strip club. :P I go there once in awhile to see if they've moved some of the OOP softcover 3.x products to the discount section at $2 apiece. Most content between the covers may be useless, but there'll be some gem contained within that'll be worth the low amount of cash I paid for it.

Comic Shop Plus is on 21st street in Newark just south of SR 16. The guy gave me a good deal on the Gargantuan Orcus mini (the other one is still sitting there last I checked three weeks ago) when it first came out. Aside from comics, they appear to be primarily vested in wargaming given the tables of terrains staged there.

Now if you guys have been around since the late 80's / early 90's, you'll reminisce of the days of the Drowsy Dragon in the outskirts of Whitehall/Bexley. Hole in the wall house, but it was the place for gaming loot back in the day. I pillaged a lot of 2ed from there. =)


Urizen wrote:

The only time I swing by the Soldiery if I'm looking for some loose non-DDM minis that I could use (I think it was last summer?). I admire a lot of his OOP games that are stocked, but I swear they've been sitting there undusted for years w/o nary a budge on the MSRP.

At any given time, just about all of the LGS could have their share of the lack-of-hygiene crowds, but I know what you're getting at in this instance.

I've found it interesting that Ravenstone is just a hop and a skip away from a strip club. :P I go there once in awhile to see if they've moved some of the OOP softcover 3.x products to the discount section at $2 apiece. Most content between the covers may be useless, but there'll be some gem contained within that'll be worth the low amount of cash I paid for it.

Comic Shop Plus is on 21st street in Newark just south of SR 16. The guy gave me a good deal on the Gargantuan Orcus mini (the other one is still sitting there last I checked three weeks ago) when it first came out. Aside from comics, they appear to be primarily vested in wargaming given the tables of terrains staged there.

Now if you guys have been around since the late 80's / early 90's, you'll reminisce of the days of the Drowsy Dragon in the outskirts of Whitehall/Bexley. Hole in the wall house, but it was the place for gaming loot back in the day. I pillaged a lot of 2ed from there. =)

Dear gods do i remember the drowsy...

I think MTG is what finally killed that place.
The place was packed with kids just sitting on the floor playing there was barely any room to walk plus the guy behind the counter was a bit of flake he constantly offered to sell some of my old stuff on commission for me and would not take no for an answer. (I had heard stories of him taking commission sales like that and then claiming to have sold the prod for way less than what he did just to pocket the excess.)
I still have a set of their promotional dice (The ones where the sixes were replaced by the store logo).


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Re the Drowsy: I heard it was a robbery/assault on a female employee that made them close. Was sad.


Alatariel wrote:
I've been seriously thinking about starting to run PFS at the Guardtower on Tuesday evenings, didn't know if there was enough interest to justify it.

You can put another +1 to the interest of a PFS game. Sadly, I would never be able to join because its on Tuesdays. After 4 hours of having two 1 inch long needles in my arm, about all I want to do is go home and sleep.

I hate dialysis sometimes.

Dark Archive

Urizen wrote:

The only time I swing by the Soldiery if I'm looking for some loose non-DDM minis that I could use (I think it was last summer?). I admire a lot of his OOP games that are stocked, but I swear they've been sitting there undusted for years w/o nary a budge on the MSRP.

At any given time, just about all of the LGS could have their share of the lack-of-hygiene crowds, but I know what you're getting at in this instance.

I've found it interesting that Ravenstone is just a hop and a skip away from a strip club. :P I go there once in awhile to see if they've moved some of the OOP softcover 3.x products to the discount section at $2 apiece. Most content between the covers may be useless, but there'll be some gem contained within that'll be worth the low amount of cash I paid for it.

Comic Shop Plus is on 21st street in Newark just south of SR 16. The guy gave me a good deal on the Gargantuan Orcus mini (the other one is still sitting there last I checked three weeks ago) when it first came out. Aside from comics, they appear to be primarily vested in wargaming given the tables of terrains staged there.

Now if you guys have been around since the late 80's / early 90's, you'll reminisce of the days of the Drowsy Dragon in the outskirts of Whitehall/Bexley. Hole in the wall house, but it was the place for gaming loot back in the day. I pillaged a lot of 2ed from there. =)

I'm going to have to check out those places. I was in the Guard Tower recently. They did carry a lot of Pathfinder products. I liked the overall feel of the place too. The staff was professional and there was a lot of space to play.

I was in the Soldiery recently. Smelled of sweat with a hint of jasmine. I wasn't a fan.

The Armoury closing is a real shame. The owner is a nice guy.

Grand Lodge

Kyle Smith, Role Player wrote:
remoh wrote:
I work right by the Guardtower and I am free Tuesday nights after 6:30p. I think you would get a good response if you posted a flyer there. Right now, the Guardtower is the LGS for Columbus.

I wouldn't say THE Local Gaming Store but I would say one of the best, its definitely the most spacious. I love a small place called Dave's Clubhouse down in Reynoldsburg. We won't mention The Soldiery... Comic Town doesn't cater to RPGs well enough... But yeah, The Guardtower is nice.

3 people looks good so far. ;)

Tuesday evenings is nice, I love not doing stuff on weekends.

I live in Springfield, and would very possibly be willing to play on Tuesday nights at The Guardtower.

My wife would probably come too.

We love Pathfinder.

If you do want to start playing, hit me up on facebook (facebook.com/KigerWulf)


MoFiddy wrote:

I'm going to have to check out those places. I was in the Guard Tower recently. They did carry a lot of Pathfinder products. I liked the overall feel of the place too. The staff was professional and there was a lot of space to play.

I was in the Soldiery recently. Smelled of sweat with a hint of jasmine. I wasn't a fan.

The Armoury closing is a real shame. The owner is a nice guy.

I agree; Bruce is a nice guy. It's sad to see it coming to an end. I would have thought he could have located to another location that was better suited for foot traffic with a reasonable lease.

I need to go by the store next week and see what stock has been discounted in order to liquidate.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I'll finalize with Todd to put it on the calender (as well as the event stuff here) but I'm looking at a start date of 3/22 or 3/29, running every 2 or 3 weeks- need to consult with the babysitter about availability before I completely commit on frequency.

Dark Archive

Starfinder Superscriber
Alatariel wrote:
I'll finalize with Todd to put it on the calender (as well as the event stuff here) but I'm looking at a start date of 3/22 or 3/29, running every 2 or 3 weeks- need to consult with the babysitter about availability before I completely commit on frequency.

That would work for me.


Sounds great, can we organize an offline e-mail group for this?


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I am karendlockwood at yahoo dotcom.

Grand Lodge

kiger(dot)wulf(at)gmail(dot)com

Grand Lodge

Did this sort of die out? Anyone playing on the western side of Columbus?


I was wondering if this had occurred. Not necessarily convenient for me as I'm on the far east side and I ended up having to indefinitely drop one of my weeknight games as I went back to school and it essentially came down to a scheduling conflict for this quarter. :/

Good luck.

And for anyone that may or may not have been following, The Armory in Pickerington has officially closed their doors.


KigerWulf wrote:
Did this sort of die out? Anyone playing on the western side of Columbus?

I'm still looking to play.


we are starting up a campaign thread shortly. are you still looking to play? We are in the Clintonville area,

Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Gaming / Gamer Connection / Columbus, OH All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.